• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 12, 2015] The Custom Stage Tournament

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
DISCLAIMER: This is just as serious of a tournament as all the others. Stages aren't supposed to be jokes or make the play style really different.
DISCLAIMER 2: Only tournament entrants can send in stages. If you want your stage to be used, you will have to participate as well.

---

A short time ago, I posted this idea, and I think it's time to make it a reality.

What:
An online tournament in which the only legal stages are Custom Stages

When:
Saturday December 12th, 5 PM - 10 PM GMT. All players should check in on Challonge and log into the chat from about half an hour before the tournament starts.

Ruleset:

Standard Ruleset
Most of this is taken from http://avalontournamentseries.nl/rulesets/smash4wiiu/, but everything is looked over and updated by Proteun.

• 3 Stock.
  • 8 minute timer.
  • Items are set to “off”.
  • All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals are best of 3 matches, while best of 5 will be played out for any of the aforementioned sets.
  • You are responsible for your own controls and name tag. Always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controls, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Custom moves are banned.
  • All equipment is banned.
  • Miis are legal with their default properties (size should be medium, take a Guest Mii if you can just to be sure) and 1111, 2222 or 3333 movesets only.
  • All DLC characters are legal.
  • No player may choose any stage they won on in the set, unless agreed upon by both players.
  • All infinites are legal. Keep the stalling rule in mind, which states all infinites are to be ended quickly after 300% has been reached.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects. The Bowser Jr. Clown Car Glitch is an exception to this rule.
  • Bowser Jr. Clown Car Glitch: The glitch is recognizable by teleports and changes in animations and hitboxes on Bowser Jr.'s end. If it happens, players are to restart the match and get as close as possible to the same stocks and percentage as they had when it happened.
  • Stalling is banned. Definition of stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.
Set Format (In Order of Procedure)
All stage striking and character picks should be communicated with the other players through the Discord chat.
  1. The host announces which game will be played, and in which room (Zinogray's or Prroteun's)
  2. Opponents add the room host's NNID (Proteun: Proteun, Zinogray: Raym00nd)
  3. Opponents join the room
  4. Opponents choose their characters for the first game
  5. Opponents start the stage striking procedure (A bans two stages, B bans two, A bans two and B picks from the two leftovers) in the Discord chat
  6. The players pick random for stage while the host picks the stage chosen in the previous step
  7. The hosts self-destructs thrice, the last one being with a Jigglypuff Shield Break. The other players are not allowed to move until the host is eliminated completely.
  8. The first game is played
  9. The winner of the previous match is allowed to ban two stages
  10. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from the stage list, taking no more than 2 minutes
  11. Both players pick their characters
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches
  13. After completion of the set, the results should be reported to Challonge as soon as possible
Code of Conduct
Taken from: SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY SMASH
Deliberate non cooperation with the TO, disruptive behavior, intimidating, threatening, or harassing players, cheating during the event, or in any other way acting in a way detrimental to the event and not conducting oneself in a sportsmanlike manner will result in disqualification from the event with possibility of further punishment depending on the severity of their actions. If you feel someone has behaved inappropriately contact the TO immediately and provide a chat log if possible. Remember: treat others the way you’d want to be treated.

Stage rules:
  • The only stages that will be legal in the tournament will be custom stages.
  • Custom stages can be sent in until December 5th, 2015. The stage should be uploaded on Miiverse, then a PM should be sent to Proteun on Smashboards containing the creator's NNID and the stage name. No more than three stages can be sent in by one player.
  • Stages can be anything as long as they can be considered legal if they were to be an official stage. So no entirely new meta, no walkoffs, no springs all over the bottom of the blastbox, you get the idea. Also they should be easy to understand; players should be able to see how the stage 'works' in less than a minute.
  • A maximum of ten legal stages will be picked by the tournament host. These stages will all be shared on Proteun's Miiverse page one day before the tournament begins. A list of the neutral stages and counterpicks will be published here and in the SmashBoards thread on the same day.
  • All players should download the stages (by clicking 'Play' on the Miiverse post) before the tournament starts, creating a possibility to look at all the stages beforehand.
Chat: https://discord.gg/0c8a6mbaO7gKkMHp (This is an invite. After having used it once and made an account, simply go to discord.gg and you will be directed to this chat. Please make your Discord username similar to your Challonge one so opponents can be found easily.)

Bracket: http://challonge.com/customstages01

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/gasperstreams

Stage list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qDTa_VJP-ZKh7FrC2ajCe4jhA9t-OYLQPZNTdyM8-zM/edit?usp=sharing

Participants (Challonge usernames):
FSMellon
D7Proto (PK)
MH | Smet
AmericanSmashSoldier
majinvegeta010688
Proteun
XxX_EP!C_XxX
Serew
Pepernoot
warnadokasper
Zinogray
BulkyJam

Last edited:

FSMellon

Smash Rookie
NNID
mellon1111
Heck. YES! I am SO signing up for this! Hopefully Discord or the Timezones won't screw me over...

EDIT: THANK YOU BASED JESUS FOR BRITTISH TIMEZONES

Last edited:

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Okay, I'm just asking it here now. Are you guys okay with me joining the tournament personally?

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Remember, if you want to send in stages you'll have to before December 5th! It's not compulsory to send in something, but it is heavily recommended if you still have something you're proud of in your Wii U game. We don't really have enough from participants at the moment. Do keep in mind they have to be considered tournament legal to be allowed in, however.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
We don't have enough legal stages yet, sadly. I believe I have not received anything 'serious' yet from the people mentioned below. Not everyone necessarily needs to send something in, but more is better. Remember everything needs to be considered legal though! For example, you need to be able to make kills to every side of the map.

D7Proto
MH | SMET
majinvegeta010688
LNIM
Ep!c
Serew
Pepernoot
Zinogray

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
A week to go until you can't send in any more stages. Technically we have enough now, but more is always welcome of course.

HatsuneLuka

Smash Rookie
NNID
T-BagMaster
Remember, if you want to send in stages you'll have to before December 5th! It's not compulsory to send in something, but it is heavily recommended if you still have something you're proud of in your Wii U game. We don't really have enough from participants at the moment. Do keep in mind they have to be considered tournament legal to be allowed in, however.
So how do I send you stages? I want to send in 3 stages.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Custom stages but no custom miis :(
Miis are a completely different subject, I enjoy using them too but I thought this would be the most accepted rule for now.

Well, i might submit some stages, but I guess I won't enter.
Joining the tournament is needed in order to get your stages used, sorry.

The easiest way for me is to have them be the three topmost posts on your Miiverse profile and send me your NNID.

Rifick

Smash Cadet
Hi. This message was a cut and paste of what I posted to your reddit tread.
Anyway, I have three that might fit the criteria. Feel free to use any or all of them. I will try to have another finished before your deadline, but it'll depend on my schedule over the next few days.

Ocean Palace:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkqVoa2mA

Peak:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkqUhBmxQ

Station:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkqUITsow

If you would like to use any, but require minor alterations I can do that as well, just let me know as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Hi. This message was a cut and paste of what I posted to your reddit tread.
Anyway, I have three that might fit the criteria. Feel free to use any or all of them. I will try to have another finished before your deadline, but it'll depend on my schedule over the next few days.

Ocean Palace:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkqT4MfHw

Peak:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkqUhBmxQ

Station:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkqUITsow

If you would like to use any, but require minor alterations I can do that as well, just let me know as soon as possible.
The stages look great, but again, you'll need to sign up for the actual tournament for them to be used.

Rifick

Smash Cadet
The stages look great, but again, you'll need to sign up for the actual tournament for them to be used.
AhahaAhahahahha poop. :(
That's unfortunate to hear. I'm both garbage at competitive smash and low on free time. I would suggest revising the rules to use the best submitted stages available. Not just for the sake of dedicated stage editors like myself, but also to showcase the best quality stages the community has to offer being shown off by the best players available.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
That's unfortunate to hear. I'm both garbage at competitive smash and low on free time. I would suggest revising the rules to use the best submitted stages available. Not just for the sake of dedicated stage editors like myself, but also to showcase the best quality stages the community has to offer being shown off by the best players available.
I'll probably organise a similar tournament in a few months, which will make that possible, it's too late to change the rules now. I hope to see you and other stage editors then!

Mmeaninglessnamee

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmeaninglessname
If/when you do another tournament, will you also consider revising your rules on miis? I don't think you would drive anyone away, and you might get more entrants. People don't say they won't enter tournaments just because they might fight miis, and they can't even argue about not being prepared for matchups when they have to hypothetically be ready for every move with 1111/2222/3333 anyway.

Last edited:

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
If/when you do another tournament, will you also consider revising your rules on miis? I don't think you would drive anyone away, and you might get more entrants. People don't say they won't enter tournaments just because they might fight miis, and they can't even argue about not being prepared for matchups when they have to hypothetically be ready for every move with 1111/2222/3333 anyway.
If I do, I'll still be pretty strict about it. They will have to be Guest Miis, and the moveset will need to be in their name.

Saland

Smash Rookie
NNID
Saland-1
this sounds really interesting. ill see if i can make something over the next 3 days. i assume all glitches including grapple points are illegal?

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
this sounds really interesting. ill see if i can make something over the next 3 days. i assume all glitches including grapple points are illegal?
Yes. Anything that can make certain characters have a big advantage over others is banned.

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
Tomorrow is the last day I will be accepting stages, as those will be hard to distribute. I will leave a list here on Sunday or Monday of the stages that have to be reuploaded to Miiverse, so all participants can download them easily. Therefore the rules have changed a bit, you will have more time to get used to the stages.

Saland

Smash Rookie
NNID
Saland-1
after converting the time ive realised this is too late for australians. this tourney is a great idea though. hope its a success

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
The results are out! Thank you to everyone who has joined and ESPECIALLY to Kasper and Ray who were kind enough to both host a room and help out a lot that way. This was a lot of fun. We got the effect I wanted to accomplish: the players learned more about stages and we know some advantages and disadvantages around using Custom Stages in a tournament stages. Congratulations to our winner, EZKiller!

An improved version of this idea will most likely take place in January or February. All Guest Miis will then be legal, stages can be sent in without entering for the actual tournament, and there will be a small prize most likely in eShop money. Stay tuned!

Full results:
1. EZKiller:4littlemac:
2. Kasper:4bowser::4pikachu:
3. DatHamSandwich:4dk::4wario:
4. Serew:4robinm:
5. Proteun:4greninja:
5. Epic:4ness::4yoshi:
7. A_S_S:4falcon::4drmario::4metaknight:
7. Paint:4fox::4littlemac::4robinm:
9. Zinogray:4villager:
9. D7Sans:4drmario:
9. Pepernoot:4feroy:
9. FSMellon:4falco:
13. Sneeuwman:4lucina:

Last edited:

DatHamSandwich

Smash Rookie
GGs everybody, hope to do this again sometime! Thank you for hosting Proteun, Zinogray, and Kasper!

Proteun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proteun
3DS FC
3840-9358-0544
after converting the time ive realised this is too late for australians. this tourney is a great idea though. hope its a success
The Custom Stage Tournament 02 is now available with legal Mii movesets and a possibility to send in stages without participating! http://smashboards.com/threads/feb-20th-the-custom-stage-tournament-02.428909/

Top Bottom