• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Sakurai, the one change we can all agree on is...

fwb

Smash Cadet
Default mode: STOCK

Just imagine: gone are the days that 4 people try to change the settings at the same time and inadvertently set coin battle and 20% modified handicap while trying to change to stock mode, then yell at each other while determining the one person to set things. Gone are the days where someone is trying to select their character while someone else brings up the options and everything gets messed up. Seriously, this is one little change that will make a significant improvement to the game on a daily basis.

edit: a better idea mentioned below, is just have the settings save to how you last had them. like items and stages.

also, nerf metaknight into oblivion

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Yes, yes, yes, a thousand more yes's.
It's so annoying wanting to jump right in and play, so I start the match, then realize it's on Time.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Stock matches with more then two people are inherently broken. Even in Melee it comes down to who can camp the most.
If you catch someone camping then you call them out on it and have everyone go after that person... duh. Nobody takes free for alls that seriously.

I agree with the OP but unfortunately Sakurai doesn't see stock matches as the default game type.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
This would be fantastic. I have played a timed match by accident so many times.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
OR! Just allow us to change the default settings? So that way you all are happy but the people who like timed as default can have that too and then some?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
OR! Just allow us to change the default settings? So that way you all are happy but the people who like timed as default can have that too and then some?
Sounds like a plan to me. Always wished we could change default settings in the menu in general, like names for the different player numbers, handicap, stamina percentage, and of course the default mode.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Default mode: STOCK

Just imagine: gone are the days that 4 people try to change the settings at the same time and inadvertently set coin battle and 20% modified handicap while trying to change to stock mode, then yell at each other while determining the one person to set things. Gone are the days where someone is trying to select their character while someone else brings up the options and everything gets messed up. Seriously, this is one little change that will make a significant improvement to the game on a daily basis.

also, nerf metaknight into oblivion
I would like this.

But sakurai isn't gonna change the default lol. its been what 3 smash games already? its not happening, nor does he see the need. sad really.

as for MK, will probably be nerfed, but not to bottom tier, he'll still be up there.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, I like the idea... but keep timed matches as well.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
How about ^this^ instead. Or even just make it to where it remembers the last setting you had it on.

mr.boombastic

Smash Rookie
I think they should get rid of coin brawl. Pretty worthless IMO.
I actually like coin matches it gives a little change of pace to the vs mode. I also wish they'd bring back the bonus matches from melee too.

then again, i am probably the only person in the world who wants those two things.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Stock will never be the default. Ever.

However, if the game auto saves all custom match settings like stock, that would be cool.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Remembering the last settings it was on is an incredibly simple thing to do. Come on Sakurai, items and stages already do this!

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Simple solution:

Options > Set Default Game Mode > _________

nobody loses!

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I enjoy playing time matches and trying to run up 10+ KO's, but I'm down with just remembering your settings. I mean, that's how most of the game works anyways.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Setting defaults is a great idea. But I prefer timed matches as stock matches take too long.
You can set a time limit on stock matches too. Actually I think you had to unlock this. I don't remember if the "more options" page is available from the start.
I like to play with 3 to 5 stock with a 6 to 8 minute timer.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Timed free for alls aren't less broken than stock ones. In time matches, you just run around attacking whoever is at the most damage trying to get KOs, and it creates a huge incentive for everyone to gang up on the weakest players who will be the easiest kills. In stock you basically always try to not fight, but everyone else is kinda trying to force the others to fight and while it doesn't perfectly balance out, it does to enough of an extent to not be worse than time matches.

The basic suggestion of just remembering these settings is really the best though since that helps all players. We'll be fine either way, but it would be nice not to have to constantly fiddle with them.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
I definitely support some way of changing the default to stock. I always play FFAs with friends on stock, as camping is not a problem unless you are playing on a huge stage. (And not even every huge stage - Sector Z on SSB64 was alright with items on). The fact that some players are knocked out earlier makes the game feel better, really.

Top Bottom