• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Spammers and Rollers on 1v1?

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
Recently I have been running into players who just spam attacks on FG, 1v1 (such as :4sonic::4link:) and people who roll like crazy. What are some tips on dealing with these players? Some may think OH YOU SUCK, U JUST HAVE TO PREDICT THEIR PATTERN or whatever but what are some things I can do to defeat them?

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
You don't have to punish rolls. Just don't let them get you with one. If you really want to, just make them roll into an attack. The hard part is timing that attack.

Spin dash can be punished with the appropriate aerial OoS. You can force most Sonics to shoot it by jumping at him and threatening to nail him with an attack, or just stand away from him and shield it on reaction.

Camping means you just have to approach patiently and look for openings. That's it, really.

If you ever get a stock lead, you can just stand there and make them come to you. If they try rolling at you, just run past them to the other side. Shield any projectile spam. If you have to, time them out. You still win with a stock lead.

Smash Ace
With online lag combined with roll spammers, its nearly impossible to punish...

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Recently?

This has been what 4gloryhole has been like since day one. Punishing depends on your character.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
What if I'm Falcon?
Raptor Boost and Falcon Kick are both easy roll blasters because they cover so much ground.

Also a fun thing to do is just Cstick pivot the People's Elbow behind you if you see your opponent initiate a roll when they're a couple feet in front of you. Or if you wanna go full style do a reverse Falcon Punch, though they might be able to spot dodge it after the wind-up.

Last edited:

Smash Ace
Raptor Boost and Falcon Kick are both easy roll blasters because they cover so much ground.

Also a fun thing to do is just Cstick pivot the People's Elbow behind you if you see your opponent initiate a roll when they're a couple feet in front of you. Or if you wanna go full style do a reverse Falcon Punch, though they might be able to spot dodge it after the wind-up.
k

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I always start matches by keeping an eye on my opponent's movement, and I try to see if I can find a pattern in their playstyle that I can exploit. This is something that I do even when I face good players, but it is extremely helpful for dealing with roll spammers.

Once I've decided that my opponent is using rolls way too often, I'll concentrate on trying to bait out rolls and seeing how they tend to react. As a result, it is very easy for me to spot habits that I doubt my opponent even knows they have.

The two most common habits I find in roll spammers are that they usually roll away from me when I dash towards them, which I can punish by delaying the time I press the grab button, and rolling towards me when I stand a certain distance from them, which I can punish with either a grab or a smash attack. The point is, when dealing with those kinds of players, you often just want to play more passively than usual and let them dig their own grave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom