• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with salty/angry people in Melee/Smash?

CowLatin

Smash Rookie
How do you deal with salty/angry players without looking like a complete jerk/show off? I'm asking this specifically to learn how to deal with my older brother being salty/angry 24 7.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Just don't deal with it, Just play the game because if you try to say anything to make it better it probably just make it worse. also don't use the term salty, that makes it way worse.

You hope they quit out of their own frustation

There are people with anger issues that want to stay deep in their delusion that they're good at their game. The reality is depressingly sad. I know of someone who talks **** all the time and gets **** on every time he plays with his friends, all of whom are better than him, according to a friend of mine. The example angry guy refuses to ever go to tournaments nor even watch streams because of some kind of pride thing. For some others, winning against them a few too many times can make them give the impression that you might get punched soon. Only a professional can help these people, assuming they can even be helped at all

Last edited:

johannJK

Smash Rookie
Pull him aside when you're not playing and remind him that it's just a game and not worth getting angry over, and that if it's frustrating him, not playing it is probably a good idea. If he's mad because he wants to get better but isn't you can help him with that.

But yeah, don't just keep beating him and making him mad. That's really ****ty advice.

mrdoingboing

Smash Cadet
Pull him aside when you're not playing and remind him that it's just a game and not worth getting angry over, and that if it's frustrating him, not playing it is probably a good idea. If he's mad because he wants to get better but isn't you can help him with that.

But yeah, don't just keep beating him and making him mad. That's really ****ty advice.
Yeah, this basically sums up what I feel as well. Don't instigate fights with someone who is already super upset, it will just cause altercations to happen outside of the game.

Personally, I get less upset when I understand exactly why something I did got punished/didn't work. For example, if I get hit in the neutral with a "random knee" or something to that degree, I just feel like my opponent got lucky. However, most of the time it's a result of me overextending, and once I realize this, the only thing I can be upset about is my own level of play. I'm assuming your brother gets angry when he loses, but usually at you or the game rather than himself. If you just point out every single he time he messes up without really prefacing it, you might make him even more upset. Try being the first one to ask him to explain something he did if you don't understand it, and maybe you guys can start bouncing ideas and criticism back and forth. He probably won't be as angry when you guys play, and you probably will feel a little more comfortable. :)

NitroSSBM

The coolest Falco of all time

lmao

johannJK

Smash Rookie
I'm not saying you can't win. I'm saying that playing with the intent of making them too frustrated to continue playing is an awful idea. No one should be getting angry at a video game and if they are you can find out why and resolve the issue

Top Bottom