• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Links and Mega Mans

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yeah, how do I deal with them?

For Link, It usually goes boomerang, bow, maybe another bow, and bow, until I maybe get close, then bomb, throw it at me or up, and if I get a little close, grab, and if I get close enough up Smash.

I try to shield the boomerang, then spot-dodge the arrows or hop over them and try to punish but I get too close and the Link rolls or he up smashes.

I charge up Thunder while they charging your arrows, try Arcfire when I successfully approach, do Elwind when I get launched up, but I'm just too slow most of the time and get hit.

For Mega Man, it's usually Metal Blade at me, or Metal Blade into the ground and grabbing it, then Crash Bomber, then lemon spam, then more Metal Blade and Crash Bomber, more lemon spam, then getting close with lemon spam, dash attack, up smash up aerial, more up aerial, then up smash or down smash when I get back onto the ground, then dash attack, then down tilt, more projectiles, etc.

I usually take away his Metal Blade, but as Robin main there aren't a lot of attacks I can do that are effective in dealing consistent damage as his specials aren't exactly the fastest or have the most range. I have better luck with Zero Suit Samus as she has specials good for spacing, i.e. Paralyzer, Plasma Whip. But I'm an aspiring Robin main.

It's infuriating, no fun, but dammit I wanna learn to deal with it. HEEEEAAAAALLLLPP.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Perfect Shields and spotdodging the grabs, mainly. At least I think. @The Soulless One might be the better one to ask.

For Link, It usually goes boomerang, bow, maybe another bow, and bow, until I maybe get close, then bomb, throw it at me or up, and if I get a little close, grab, and if I get close enough up Smash.

I try to shield the boomerang, then spot-dodge the arrows or hop over them and try to punish but I get too close and the Link rolls or he up smashes.

I charge up Thunder while they charging your arrows, try Arcfire when I successfully approach, do Elwind when I get launched up, but I'm just too slow most of the time and get hit.

For Mega Man, it's usually Metal Blade at me, or Metal Blade into the ground and grabbing it, then Crash Bomber, then lemon spam, then more Metal Blade and Crash Bomber, more lemon spam, then getting close with lemon spam, dash attack, up smash up aerial, more up aerial, then up smash or down smash when I get back onto the ground, then dash attack, then down tilt, more projectiles, etc.

I usually take away his Metal Blade, but as Robin main there aren't a lot of attacks I can do that are effective in dealing consistent damage as his specials aren't exactly the fastest or have the most range. I have better luck with Zero Suit Samus as she has specials good for spacing, i.e. Paralyzer, Plasma Whip. But I'm an aspiring Robin main.

It's infuriating, no fun, but dammit I wanna learn to deal with it. HEEEEAAAAALLLLPP.
Currently on mobile at work, will make a formal response to this when I get home.

Dathx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dathx77
The short answer: Thoron punish

Every time Link uses a projectile use Thoron and his projectile will break and he'll take 19%. Kind of similar with mega man, except you can also use elthunder sometimes to beat crash bomber. Basically just out-camp them.

D

Deleted member

The short answer: Thoron punish

Every time Link uses a projectile use Thoron and his projectile will break and he'll take 19%. Kind of similar with mega man, except you can also use elthunder sometimes to beat crash bomber. Basically just out-camp them.
Any Link worth anything won't just let you sit and charge to Thoron, and Link can throw out a lot more projectiles than Robin can Thorons within any length of time...

--------------

As @ ARGHETH ARGHETH already said, powershielding will defuse 90% of Link's projectile game (save for bombs, which will simply bounce off the shield and land on the ground), in the long-range camp you can easily get away with charging Thunder (at least up to Elthunder) and powershield any fully-charged arrows that may be coming from the other side of the stage.

Approaching from the air without some sort of projectile cover when Link is grounded is not usually a smart choice because Link's disjoints, particularly U-tilt and U-Smash, outrange most aerial disjoints in general, Robin's being on that list.

Dash -> Shield is the simplest and actually one of the more effective ways to deal with Link's spam because Boomerang and Arrows (excluding fully charged arrows) have relatively low shield pressure, and the startup or cooldown (Boomerang has some startup, Bow has a little bit of both, bombs have startup) of each leaves Link vulnerable if he continuously attempts to throw these out as you are approaching.

In terms of the boomerang, this can typically be rendered negligible with a SH/FH over the hitbox if the Link is just throwing it horizontally on the ground, completely evading it is a better option in general than shielding because it will continue forwards behind you instead of returning immediately to Link (for him to use again) if you were to deflect it with a shield.

Of course, the evasion of the boomerang while staying relatively close to the ground (i.e. simple FH, no DJ) becomes a little bit more difficult if Link starts banking it off the ground, and SH -> Down-Angle Boomerang (banking off the ground) happens to be one of my go-to options because it shuts down this simple evasion (although in the case of a banked boomerang, shielding it is potentially more favorable as it may then fly past Link instead of going right back to him as it would if thrown horizontally).

Bombs are the trickiest things to deal with (IMO) when it comes to approaching Link or challenging his projectiles specifically because they are fairly spammable (Link can have two out at any time, and because they usually detonate on impact save for pivot soft throws out of dash and midair reverse soft throws just before landing, Link can spawn them nearly nonstop) and more importantly because they beat everything of Robin's that isn't Thoron (excluding Elwind, but that's not really an approach or utility projectile).

Unless you have a Thoron ready, bombs will absorb all of the Thunder projectiles and keep flying, and they'll sail right through and absorb the Arcfire damage as well.

In short, it is very unwise to attempt to challenge Link's bombs, unless you have Thoron on deck, you will lose.

---------

Both Link's grab and U-Smash are fairly punishable if missed, particularly the latter, spot dodge will always trump Link's tether and simply holding shield will always give you a free punish on Link's U-Smash.

---------

As a final note (for now) I should point out that it isn't the best option to auto-pilot to Elwind whenever you are in a juggle, the fresh hits of Link's Uair can tank through both hits of Elwind leaving Link undamaged and able to punish however he wants as you glide back down in helpless. Even if Link does get hit, if the percent is low enough he can still land after hitstun and punish you before you hit the ground.

--------

Notify me if you have further questions or concerns regarding the MU.

Top Bottom