• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Hyper-Agressive Players?

Wheezing

Smash Rookie
Yo', how do I deal with hype aggressive players?

I have a bud who plays Falco and he's relentless with the pillars, shield-grabs, dash grabs, and dash attacks.
Basically he's just always in your face and it's excessively difficult to try to space him.

Any help would be stellar.

Jim Jam Flim Flam

Smash Apprentice
Yo', how do I deal with hype aggressive players?

I have a bud who plays Falco and he's relentless with the pillars, shield-grabs, dash grabs, and dash attacks.
Basically he's just always in your face and it's excessively difficult to try to space him.

Any help would be stellar.
The way i deal with that is to be hyper aggressive right back. Falco needs to be aggressive in this matchup, so if you match him blow for blow you can use your superior speed and recovery to get the win. Shine is a great tool for forcing space between you and him, so if you cant already shine out of shield and multishine, that will help a good bit. Also, focus extra hard on forcing him near the ledge, because Falco had **** recovery and you can gimp him quite easily.

Wheezing

Smash Rookie
The way i deal with that is to be hyper aggressive right back. Falco needs to be aggressive in this matchup, so if you match him blow for blow you can use your superior speed and recovery to get the win. Shine is a great tool for forcing space between you and him, so if you cant already shine out of shield and multishine, that will help a good bit. Also, focus extra hard on forcing him near the ledge, because Falco had **** recovery and you can gimp him quite easily.
That sounds pretty solid. Thanks man.

Lime_O

All Aboard the Hype Train
NNID
Lime
I suggest fully understanding your defensive options, like your OOS stuff. I really like shine out of shield as a gtfo move, but I can only really consistently do it when I'm warmed up and taking the game seriously. Or, like was said, most aggro players struggle when they have to defend against your aggro play. If your friend is easily read, bait them into bad options with your superior defensive play, and then go off on them.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Fox has all the defensive tools to stop that. If you wanna play the runaway game, you can do that since you're faster. Falco's aerials are a tiny bit bigger than Fox's, but you also have some very effective zoning tools in retreating dair, bair, and utilt (just make sure he actually used an aerial).

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
Just take note of his choice of approaches and find a solution. Most people will choose their approach depending on the distance between them and their opponent so note if he does that too so you can read him.

To answer you directly though you can shine OOS or hold L/R on the C-stick to roll out of pillar pressure. If you're hit just DI.
Don't get shield grabbed, just space yourself properly or hit him from behind or better yet, grab him when he pops shield and waits.
Dash grabs... I don't know, work on your movement and spot dodge or jab when you see it coming.
Crouch cancel the dash attacks.

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
If that style is giving you a lot of trouble as fox that probably means
1) he has more techskill than you,
2) there's a fair amount of idle time where you aren't really doing anything (taking stage, retreating, comboing)
3) you don't understand when you can get out of things falco does, and how to do things falco can't get out of

At least one of those is probably true.

Pillars only works while shine doesn't knock down. Regardless, after a certain number of shines you get sent into this weird no tumble floating knockback state anyway where you can air control in two dimensions(ever get shined and randomly float around? you're actually controlling your location with the stick!) you can get out once that happens. Just mack sure you di down and away and don't tech predictably!

Remember falco is awesome at verical mobility and fox is awesome at horizontal mobility. If he likes to laser on the ground a lot, take to the platforms and drop down on him. If that doesn't seem to help much initially, practice wavelanding a lot. Platform mobility is huge as fox.

If he's dash attacking you, keep space, try to bait it out. This is hard if he's also got an itchy trigger finger, because you can't really dash dance that much. Note that falco's grab isn't that good and shield makes punishing dash attack basically free. You can just wavedash out of shield and grab or usmash.

If he's dash grabbing a lot, just run away, or hit him with a move! XD If you ran away, just don't run too far so you can turn around and hit him back. If you want to just hit him, I suggest utilt (sets up combos), nair(not as punishable as utilt), or dash forward jump hold back on the control stick then dair (should look like you're slightly retreating or just dairing in place after the dash).

Remember as a mixup to drill shine you can drill grab because you've got a chaingrab on falco from 0-66% with good di and 0-86% with bad di.

Try hitting with upairs after uthrow too! Uair combos into uairs unless he's got great di.

If you nair after falco bairs, you're hitbox will beat it out since dair leaves his whole upper torso exposed.

FH over lasers is better than staying in shield but it's punishable if he gets a read on it.

Top Bottom