• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dead thread

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
To be honest, I'd rather have no Star KOs/Screen KOs at all. They cause so many unfair losses just because someone gets a KO offstage but then dies before the Star KO animation is finished. I think it would make things less random if they were removed altogether.
I'm glad I'm not alone about this. Words cannot describe how irritating that is...worst yet, it has never really been fixed. It's in every Smash game, and it's debatable on which game it's the worst in (I say Smash 64 because Star KOs last so long and pretty much no one except for :kirby64: and :jigglypuff64: had a good recovery). Either way, this has to go. I like how they make a victory feel much more earned, but if it means no more jank unfair wins then so be it.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad I'm not alone about this. Words cannot describe how irritating that is...worst yet, it has never really been fixed. It's in every Smash game, and it's debatable on which game it's the worst in (I say Smash 64 because Star KOs last so long and pretty much no one except for :kirby64: and :jigglypuff64: had a good recovery). Either way, this has to go. I like how they make a victory feel much more earned, but if it means no more jank unfair wins then so be it.
Don't forget about unfair losses too.

An unfair loss is when Ness uses PK Thunder 2 off-stage to hit that opponent, then a Star KO/Screen KO occurs and that character falls to his doom, thus KO'ing himself first and losing the match unfairly. Same with Jigglypuff's Rest off-stage. But on-stage, Jigglypuff mostly uses Rest to score a KO. But since Star KOs/Screen KOs are random and very rare, Jigglypuff would most likely be vulnerable because that opponent has more than enough time to severely punish or revenge KO it. This would be an unfair loss for Jigglypuff because of that.

I imagine that's happened many times to both Ness and Jigglypuff players. And it's not just those characters, it's other characters too.

Last edited:

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
Don't forget about unfair losses too.

An unfair loss is when Ness uses PK Thunder 2 off-stage to hit that opponent, then a Star KO/Screen KO occurs and that character falls to his doom, thus KO'ing himself first and losing the match unfairly. Same with Jigglypuff's Rest off-stage. But on-stage, Jigglypuff mostly uses Rest to score a KO. But since Star KOs/Screen KOs are random and very rare, Jigglypuff would most likely be vulnerable because that opponent has more than enough time to severely punish or revenge KO it. This would be an unfair loss for Jigglypuff because of that.

I imagine that's happened many times to both Ness and Jigglypuff players. And it's not just those characters, it's other characters too.
It's kind of tricky how to fix this for every character, because making star/screen KOs more frequent hurt the characters that have great offstage finishers but would help poor Jiggs with her signature Rest. The exact opposite occurs if they were removed altogether. Someone mentioned it before but I believe they should happen 100% of the time for every stock except the last one. I think that would fix it nicely.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
It's kind of tricky how to fix this for every character, because making star/screen KOs more frequent hurt the characters that have great offstage finishers but would help poor Jiggs with her signature Rest. The exact opposite occurs if they were removed altogether. Someone mentioned it before but I believe they should happen 100% of the time for every stock except the last one. I think that would fix it nicely.
Even if it's tricky, I'm very sure it'd be well worth the time to program off-stage moves to force upward Blast KOs and on-stage moves (ground/air) to force Star KOs/Screen KOs.

I don't know about anyone else, but I actually did a challenge (an odd one) that involved a Star KO on the last stock. That was actually part of my goal. The one I'm referring to is my 999% match/goal on certain characters on my list.

I don't like posting odd challenges on this thread (and others) because I think they're embarrassing. But for this one, I'll make an exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCBC07o1r5I
Watch at 13:25, and don't forget to read the description too.

Even though I did this challenge, I want to do this for every "Smash" game. I was planning on doing the same for this game too. But because of the randomness on those KOs at the top, it's completely dashed my plans on that. Trying to do that right now would be way too frustrating.

I'm sure there are certain others who want to do certain challenges that involve Star KOs/Screen KOs only, even on the last stock (not like my 999% match/goal, of course), no matter how odd or stupid they are. Yes, I'm actually thinking of certain others too.

Last edited:

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
This is a pretty small thing to worry about.

It's not like offstage Rests or PK Thunder 2 happen often.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
This is a pretty small thing to worry about.

It's not like offstage Rests or PK Thunder 2 happen often.
Even so, this kind of thing can still cause unfair losses, as Xandercosm and Zero Soul pointed out. And it's not just Ness and Jigglypuff, it's other characters too. I can only imagine how many players were annoyed by this so many times.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Even so, this kind of thing can still cause unfair losses, as Xandercosm and Zero Soul pointed out. And it's not just Ness and Jigglypuff, it's other characters too. I can only imagine how many players were annoyed by this so many times.
I highly doubt it happens as much as you think it does.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
even if this problem doesnt fully get fixed i still just want the star/screen kos at the top to be completely frequent. like i said i played this game solely for jigglypuff with her rest move that is now not even worth it. believe it or not i also want to do a challenge in this game. and my challenge is to get every star/screen ko with jigglypuff using rest only. im ready to quit if this problem isnt fixed arbitrary or not.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
even if this problem doesnt fully get fixed i still just want the star/screen kos at the top to be completely frequent. like i said i played this game solely for jigglypuff with her rest move that is now not even worth it. believe it or not i also want to do a challenge in this game. and my challenge is to get every star/screen ko with jigglypuff using rest only. im ready to quit if this problem isnt fixed arbitrary or not.
You see? This is why I'm thinking of certain others too.

Of course, I want Star KOs/Screen KOs to occur like the previous games because that's what makes "Smash" games great. However, they won't ever be the same again if they were removed completely. I wanted an option to turn Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off at the menu, but I don't think that's possible. So the best idea right now is to get rid of the randomness on those KOs at the top by making off-stage moves force upward Blast KOs and on-stage moves (ground/air) force Star KOs/Screen KOs. Randomness is bad for the metagame. If that's too hard, then I, too, want Star KOs/Screen KOs to occur completely frequent. Like you, I want to do a certain challenge in this game too, the same way I did a certain challenge (999% match/goal) in "Smash 64" that involved a Star KO at the end of the match, which was part of my goal.

I want everyone to be happy once this problem is fixed. But true happiness for everyone won't be there if my idea doesn't fully fix this problem.

Last edited:

Warrior NG

Smash Cadet
May I ask why people bother with this question? I get KO or get KO'ed and I just keep playing.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
May I ask why people bother with this question? I get KO or get KO'ed and I just keep playing.
Well, if you look at the comments from earlier, you'll know why. To this day, it's still a problem for most people. Unfair losses, unfairly punished, et cetera.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
You see? This is why I'm thinking of certain others too.

Of course, I want Star KOs/Screen KOs to occur like the previous games because that's what makes "Smash" games great. However, they won't ever be the same again if they were removed completely. I wanted an option to turn Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off at the menu, but I don't think that's possible. So the best idea right now is to get rid of the randomness on those KOs at the top by making off-stage moves force upward Blast KOs and on-stage moves (ground/air) force Star KOs/Screen KOs. Randomness is bad for the metagame. If that's too hard, then I, too, want Star KOs/Screen KOs to occur completely frequent. Like you, I want to do a certain challenge in this game too, the same way I did a certain challenge (999% match/goal) in "Smash 64" that involved a Star KO at the end of the match, which was part of my goal.

I want everyone to be happy once this problem is fixed. But true happiness for everyone won't be there if my idea doesn't fully fix this problem.
i wonder if anyone else has even paid attention to this type of problem when playing, like really looked closely.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
i wonder if anyone else has even paid attention to this type of problem when playing, like really looked closely.
Well, considering how little this type of problem seems to be mentioned, I'd have to say they're either too blind to see it when playing or too afraid to talk about it.

But enough about that. There's a rumor about a new "Smash" game being made for the Nintendo NX, which that console has yet to be released. If that game is going to be released, I expect an option to turn Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off at the menu to be added. There's a few more features I expect to be in that game too, but that's for a thread I saw about that game recently.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Well, considering how little this type of problem seems to be mentioned, I'd have to say they're either too blind to see it when playing or too afraid to talk about it.

But enough about that. There's a rumor about a new "Smash" game being made for the Nintendo NX, which that console has yet to be released. If that game is going to be released, I expect an option to turn Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off at the menu to be added. There's a few more features I expect to be in that game too, but that's for a thread I saw about that game recently.
uh...link to the thread?

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
How is this a problem? Also, on-stage->Star/Screen seems like a bad idea to me. I don't think being on or off the stage should ever force a Star/Screen or Blast KO, especially the former.
Not only that, how exactly would it be determined whether a character was on or off the stage in the air?

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
How is this a problem? Also, on-stage->Star/Screen seems like a bad idea to me. I don't think being on or off the stage should ever force a Star/Screen or Blast KO, especially the former.
Not only that, how exactly would it be determined whether a character was on or off the stage in the air?
You're missing the point here. The point is to get rid of the randomness on those KOs at the top of the screen. Because they're random, this can heavily hurt Jigglypuff's chances of winning. You see, there are Jigglypuff players out there that use Rest to score KOs on-stage (sometimes off-stage, but that's only if one wants an upward Blast KO to occur). But because Star KOs/Screen KOs are very rare, the possibility of getting severely punished or revenge KO'd on-stage is very high. And that's the reason why Jigglypuff is at the very bottom of the tier list. And it's not just Jigglypuff, it's Ness and other characters too.

I wanted an option to turn Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off at the menu to be added, but I don't think that's possible to add in another patch. However, for the new "Smash" game that is rumored to be made for the Nintendo NX, I expect an option to turn Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off at the menu to be added. Randomness on those KOs at the top of the screen as well as tripping from "Brawl" is bad for the metagame.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
you updated the star/screen ko idea, huh? well i like it. nothing wrong with that idea.

Top Bottom