• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD Social: we livin' in smash 4

∫unk

Smash Master
vex is a beast. pro ddd play. crazy thing is he can and will be even better.

ddd can beat anyone but he's also fragile in the sense that he can easily get 2-stocked.

Coney

Smash Master
Why did taht many people forfeit at Apex?
Just... WHY?
Actually, I think Coney played out part of his set before he forfeited.....y'know, to test the waters, but once he saw it wasn't going to be fun at all, he quit. Better to keep your sanity, perhaps. :p
i actually didn't play out any of it

i played leon right before and got completely molested--i ran at him the entire time, never shielded, just tried to be aggro and he destroyed me--even said "do you, um, not know that matchup?" when i'm usually REALLY GOOD at it

at that point i knew i was just...not in the mood to play brawl, at least not at a competitive level. i knew i was going to lose to luigiplayer and be mad about it, as i hate fighting diddy even when i'm at my best...i was having a lot of fun watching the matches with the rest of my crew so i said **** it, i'll just have fun and not worry about it

cause what i do is get mad when i lose but then get mad at myself for getting mad because i don't practice yet still expect to beat better, practiced players in bad matchups, so it's a vicious cycle

i apologized to luigiplayer after, i didn't mean to be disrespectful at all, it was selfish but i just rarely have fun playing the game anymore, i just came to apex for a good time

and i had one!

the only other person i know of that forfeited was malcolm, and he did it for the same reason as me--we were sitting next to each other watching the matches

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Its always a shame when such highly skilled players stop enjoying the game...

Coney and malcolm should do doubles sometime. Team We Forfeit

:phone:

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Not really sure how you lose MUs in our favor, but are good at MUs that are in such a disadvantage like ics/mk >_>"

Like i mean after losing to nairo at 10 am and getting dqd on the spot and having to ***** about a good 30 min to not get dq'd i was stressed out but still continued on and played nairo. I wasn't the happiest camper after losing to quiksilver after that tough loss, but its w/e, he earned it and life goes on. Its tough, but if u want to be frustrated, atleast save that frustration until after your out of the tourney. I know i was frustrated as hell, i ended up losing to RB and logic in MM's afterwards lol, could barely keep my sanity xD

Why you would forfeit is beyond me. I'd like to see ya perform, hopefully u will do so if u go to G3 or not, but quitting after a loss its just dumb imo.

Coney

Smash Master
well it takes a lot of work for me to play the game the way it's supposed to be played; i naturally just want to run in and fight and that's obviously not the optimal way to play brawl, anything else takes a lot of practice and energy

i'm at a point in my life where i can't/don't really want to expend that kind of energy to play the game. i suspect others don't have the same problem as i do, which is why they have no problem continuing to play and do well, but i can't really do that

Apparently, quite a few of MD/VA's best players are hitting that 'wall'... :ohwell:
not really, we've been there for a while

it's just like...we don't really enjoy the game. boss is really good but just gets camped, chu is a ****ing genius but is limited by his character, i'm in a similar boat as boss, etc

the fire's been out for a while...think about it, boss/chu/myself have all been #1 in our region at one point or another, have all been called the best at our characters, and have won regional events. what's really left to do after that, you know?

the only person that really really really cares now is seagull i think

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
not really, we've been there for a while

it's just like...we don't really enjoy the game. boss is really good but just gets camped, chu is a ****ing genius but is limited by his character, i'm in a similar boat as boss, etc

the fire's been out for a while...think about it, boss/chu/myself have all been #1 in our region at one point or another, have all been called the best at our characters, and have won regional events. what's really left to do after that, you know?

the only person that really really really cares now is seagull i think
I completely understand where you're coming from Zak except I have never won a regional, but have gotten close many times (Top 5 twice now). I have been called the best for my character multiple times and am currently #1 in Md/Va (Sad to say lmfao).

I enjoy the game, but I really don't care as much anymore Zak lol. After continually trying to host events with no large turnouts or people's desire to come, I lost interest.

I don't like going to Nj/Ny because I just get ***** there. I also don't like traveling far enough where I won't make some form of profit unless I really love the tourney series (Like the phoenix saga or Chi's series).

I wish I had the drive still. I never practice anymore because I don't feel like driving around and wasting gas. I button check like once a week to make sure I can do what I do normally can, but after tourneys I usually leave my Wii/Tv in my car for a week or two.

I just post a lot on swf cause I have nothing better to do. I do still play Wi-Fi for fun.

:018:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It's really discouraging when people aren't as excited as you about a game.
Sure, you don't really need them to enjoy it, but you need them to play and keep improving yourself.
I am stuck on a region where nobody wants to play anymore....

btw, Reflex forfeit agaisnt Kakera, too.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I mean, doesn't one enter a tourney though to place well/possible chance of winning? If your willing to forfeit then you really shouldn't be entering the tourney and go into spectator mode rather.

I mean ive told boss several times to drop luigi for a better character, its tough but it is what it is. Playing him in person I can tell hes damn good but luigi limits him like crazy. Im contemplating right now whether to drop ddd for awhile at locals just so I can get better at mk since ics is annoying as ****.

At the top metagame this is what the game becomes. Trying to perform well doing what you are used to will not work in all situations. Is it admirable to see someone place well with the same character under all situations? Sure. Is it likely? Not so much.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I've always respected character loyalty with people but it does really hold some people back. You need to do everything you can to win when it comes to the top level of play. It doesn't always pay though to try and switch to a higher tier character though. You have to play someone you are comfortable with.

I like playing with different characters to keep things fresh. Plus I have always felt the best way to understand a character you have trouble with is to play as them.

∫unk

Smash Master
DDD is fun when you're going in. When you d-throw them and you have the read. When they can't get off the ledge. When you juke them with your jumps and get a free move. Your b-air is frustrating them. Your f-air is destroying them.

DDD's bad matchups make this difficult. DDD has to be a ballerina just to be in dash range of certain fruit loops like Olimar and Diddy. It's easier to be the defender because of option coverage from the setups, but when it comes to close combat it's about the read and the followup.

So DDD has two important factors:
1) Taking as little damage as possible during approach and recovery
2) Winning close combat

Among high-level veteran players, #2 won't be noticeably lacking. That said, #1 is more mechanical and less cerebral, and that's the part that usually sticks out more.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Dew, its not your place to tell other people how to enjoy a video game or what they need to do when they are paying their own money out of pocket to enter a tournament. Its coneys perogative if he wants to forfeit a match

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
ok i wasn't going to say anything, but dew you come off the same as people who get annoyed at low tier mains for entering tournaments because they're just "wasting everybody's time".

just saying

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Dew just has more of purely competitive mindset for this game. His opinion isn't any more or less valid than anyone's. It's simply advice that Zak can choose to take or ignore. Simple as that lol. Everyone has a different perspective on their approach to this game in a competitive setting. I don't disagree with Goggles but its whatever lol.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Dew, its not your place to tell other people how to enjoy a video game or what they need to do when they are paying their own money out of pocket to enter a tournament. Its coneys perogative if he wants to forfeit a match

It's not your place to tell me how I can or can't think lol. I mean I'm just giving him advice that is logical, whether he chooses to listen or ignore it his decision. I mean even at the local last week I went to, I camped, did well, but the moment I got tired of it because it got too draining, I tried going in but got punished because certain mus don't quite allow for it. It's not even a 'more competitive' mindset, it's just coming to terms with reality.

Tourneys like apex are more of a test of endurance rather than skill. I mean he's said b4 that he simply can't play that style. Sometimes reality is bitter to swallow, but you are going to have to deal with it. The competitive scene isn't getting any less campy just because you want it to, it's getting more campy I'd argue.

If you guys wanna encourage him to lose matches though simply cuz it's not fun then so be it. I kind of thought the point of these character boards were to help out others char mains get past obstacles for the betterment of the community. Guess I was wrong, my bad guys.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
It's not your place to tell me how I can or can't think lol. I mean I'm just giving him advice that is logical, whether he chooses to listen or ignore it his decision. I mean even at the local last week I went to, I camped, did well, but the moment I got tired of it because it got too draining, I tried going in but got punished because certain mus don't quite allow for it. It's not even a 'more competitive' mindset, it's just coming to terms with reality.

Tourneys like apex are more of a test of endurance rather than skill. I mean he's said b4 that he simply can't play that style. Sometimes reality is bitter to swallow, but you are going to have to deal with it. The competitive scene isn't getting any less campy just because you want it to, it's getting more campy I'd argue.

If you guys wanna encourage him to lose matches though simply cuz it's not fun then so be it. I kind of thought the point of these character boards were to help out others char mains get past obstacles for the betterment of the community. Guess I was wrong, my bad guys.

I never told you you haveto think a certain way, i just said its wrong of you to impose your view on other people

It seems clear to me that coney is very comfortable in the conclusion hes come to about how he wants to play the game. If youre trying to help other ppl get better and improve tourney placings, it seems like youd be better served talking to someone who hasnt essentially given up on getting better.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Don't know what to say. Guess its just a lost cause then? I mean he probably would've been happier if he made it further in bracket, but maybe I'm wrong? Pretty sure he could've enjoyed his stay more by taking that $50 or so entrance either MMing Japanese players or simply just buying food or w/e.

Coney

Smash Master
i mean there was a time when i wanted to succeed and get further and push harder and do new things but, that was a very long time ago and i've peaked

to be real, it's very hard for me to keep going after that. i'm just naturally goal-driven and i worked my *** off a long time ago and accomplished everything i wanted to and more from this game...now i'm just not able or willing to commit the same time and energy. i've already climbed that mountain. i'm genuinely not asking to be coddled or given advice or anything because i'm not, like, stuck in a rut or anything, i know that if i wanted to i could come back and be strong and...place, what, 17th instead of 65th? in the long run though, who cares? if you're not placing top 8 (which would take even MORE dedication than i put in the past), you don't matter

i was happy with apex either way, it's not like i was sad when i forfeited, i did it so i WOULDN'T be upset when i hit that wall and lose to players with as much talent as me that also put in time, because that's the differentiator...well that and their character choice

don't think of me as a complaining, whimpering old man, think of me as a fallen warrior who has ascended to valhalla :colorful:

dew i get what you're saying 100%, but that's just not the kind of player i am. i come from a very casual background and it's always been more for the fun/thrill for me instead of the pure competition, that's also why i never infinite :teeth:

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Don't think you peaked, still feel the engine can still run ;)

But just letting you realize that if you can endure 20min. of agonizing camping, then the sets you may play after your win may actually be fun and the reason why you showed up :)

Coney

Smash Master
LOL @ armada

all i did was win a few regionals and get #1 in our region, not win MULTIPLE INTERNATIONAL EVENTS

and i don't live in VA, i'm from central MD mid-way thru baltimore and annapolis

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Not saying he isn't smart or brilliant or anything of that sort. I just have a lot more respect for smashers who can stick it out with a single character throughout an entire tourney and still do well. This is coming from a Melee Samus main. I stick with Samus against the BS that is the spacees, Falcon, Sheik, and Marth, and I can directly relate to anyone who feels the urge to continue having fun with his character, even against the most one-sided of match-ups.

Edit: In other words, Armada's victories would have been cooler for me personally if he had just stuck with Peach against Jiggs (or gone all in with YL for the whole tourney :awesome:). That's just me, though.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
YL is not a top character, so I give him that.
Is not so bad in my book.

Bad would've been if he switched to Fox, Marth or someone of the sort.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
i mean there was a time when i wanted to succeed and get further and push harder and do new things but, that was a very long time ago and i've peaked

to be real, it's very hard for me to keep going after that. i'm just naturally goal-driven and i worked my *** off a long time ago and accomplished everything i wanted to and more from this game...now i'm just not able or willing to commit the same time and energy. i've already climbed that mountain. i'm genuinely not asking to be coddled or given advice or anything because i'm not, like, stuck in a rut or anything, i know that if i wanted to i could come back and be strong and...place, what, 17th instead of 65th? in the long run though, who cares? if you're not placing top 8 (which would take even MORE dedication than i put in the past), you don't matter

i was happy with apex either way, it's not like i was sad when i forfeited, i did it so i WOULDN'T be upset when i hit that wall and lose to players with as much talent as me that also put in time, because that's the differentiator...well that and their character choice

don't think of me as a complaining, whimpering old man, think of me as a fallen warrior who has ascended to valhalla :colorful:

dew i get what you're saying 100%, but that's just not the kind of player i am. i come from a very casual background and it's always been more for the fun/thrill for me instead of the pure competition, that's also why i never infinite :teeth:

Coney you never peaked in my opinion. You peaked in the sense that you took your playstyle as far as you could. If you had sat down and used all.our practical techs consistently I think you definitely could have went further. But I respect everything you did. You were my.inspiration when I started D3. You're half the reason I still play him. Vex is the other half. I just hope to see you at another event soon. :bee:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
lol, I also dislike Atomsk's style for no reason at all.
Vex, Coney and 4GOD are my main players to follow.

Back when Addy played a lot I didn't even use DDD, but now I started using some of his old tricks, and it's awesome

Top Bottom