• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD controls the rhythm of every fight

Infectedpo

Smash Rookie
In this thread, I'm making the assertion that the King has the greatest capacity to be in control of his fights.
His vast number of options allow him to dictate the tempo of a fight beyond the ability of any other character.

Dedede can be played aggressively as well as passively.
Dedede is among the best at punishing mistakes.
Dedede has excellent range.
Dedede has excellent recovery.
Dedede has exceptional power.
Dedede is heavy, yet he doesn't suffer from speed problems as much as other heavyweights.

What I'm driving at, here, is that he has a unique ability to throw opponents off their game and keep them guessing. With liberal use of his quick, effective moves like bair, dtilt, utilt, etc., he can then mix in dash attack, inhales, waddledee throws, and even forward smash attacks and downB hammer charge-ups to give him tremendous unpredictability.

But what do you guys think? Does the King have more control of his fights than everyone else, or am I just enchanted with the overweight penguin's charisma and charm?

yourmother

Smash Rookie
I have a pretty good time controlling fights, although it's pretty much always in a defensive mindset. I use over-b whenever possible, and when they're too close for that I basically just play games with SH bair, SH nair into combos, and his u or dtilts to keep them guessing then try to create some distance with ftilt and start spamming again. I can't punish anything with his fsmash though, save for maybe a missed rest by jigglypuff.

Maybe it's just because I'm not good enough but I have a problem playing him really offensively. I basically just have to wait for an opportunity then I usually throw/utilt/dsmash and then go for his air game, which is where (I think) he really shines.

Neemo

Smash Apprentice
Dedede is a natural occurance in any popular fighting game. He is the amazingly powerful and good character that is also funny and humorous.

He is what would happen if Shiek in Melee wore a bunny suit.

I think that contrast in character and personality works well in manipulating the way your opponent approaches you. Further more if the person playing Dedede was constantly laughing and saying lighthearted things during the match he would reinforce this contrast.

What I'm saying is that A GIANT PENGUIN KICKING YOUR *** IS A MINDGAME in of itself.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
You forgot to mention he has awesome taunts (Nair and Crouch) to throw opponents off the psychological aspect of their game.

As far as actual control of fight tempo goes, I agree he's great at it, but Pit trumps him IMO.

Edit:yourmother:
Maybe it's just because I'm not good enough but I have a problem playing him really offensively.
Try practicing against a good Pit. I guarantee you will learn to play offensively.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
dedede will be bad in a few months because the metagame will advance for other characters(quick ones)

only the loyal will keep on playing him ^_^

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
dedede will be bad in a few months because the metagame will advance for other characters(quick ones)

only the loyal will keep on playing him ^_^
No way. I highly doubt this. Dedede will continue to own.

Anyway, the thing is, no matter where you are, you can always control the match. Far away? Lob a projectile. Need some range? Forward tilt. In the air? Turn around if you would like, bair, dair, or fair put you in control. Recovering? Abuse the Super Armor Frames and jumps. On the ledge? Ledge hop bairs are spectacular.

Dedede is the greatest thing ever.

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
King Dedede is amazing:

-Incredibly strong

-Fast punishing attacks

-Great range

-Disjointed hitbox

-Attacks link to each other well

-Spammable projectile (Waddles)

-Projectiles attack after initial hit

-Chance for a DEVASTATING projectile, totally countering camping (Gordo)

-Good "get away from me" attacks

-Awesome grab range

-Chain grab

-Wall infinites

-Standing infinite grab

-Multiple jumps

-INCREDIBLE recovery

-Kamikaze move (Regicide)

-Near-guaranteed kill move (Regispike)

-Special grab (inhale)

-Awesome air game

-Easy edgeguarder

-SAF on recovery

-Cancelable third jump

-One of the heaviest characters

-Can dash across the screen with Jethammer technique

and the list goes on...

What's bad about him? He can be combo'd at low percents because of his weight, but he isn't incredibly big. That's about it?

Mizar

Smash Ace
Its true that he controls the rhythm of the fight. Yet, I play as C. Falcon, go with the rhythm, and kick D3's *** on the beat. And I've played against a couple of pro D3's. Send me a message if you live in europe and own really bad :)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
- so many pros

- where are the cons

- where are the cons

- where are the cons

- but yeah he is good i'm just saying

- where are the cons

Top Bottom