• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-Dawn Of The John-; September 1st, 2007 (Canceled!!!)

Which date for the tourney would be best for you?

• Just keep in Saturday, [b]September the 1st[/b].

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Saturday, [b]August the 18th[/b] is better.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Sunday, [b]August the 26th[/b] is better, even though the venue will close @ 10 (not 12).

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I vote for August 18th only because it's before school starts. :)

Everything else looks fine. I can give rides to anyone in Southwest Houston area. I'll probably get lost on the way like usual...

Gobz

Smash Apprentice
this looks fun. Some valley members could probably make it out to this. Now is this labor day weekend? If not, look in to that. This could replace the void that HOST 2 should have been, and hopefully you'll get the same amount of turn out.

Velox

Smash Ace
Rocket: Good point, being in college time, I didn't even think about that. I'll keep that in mind.

Gobz: Indeed. I've already talked to TGM, and he isn't going to hold HOST 2 until he finds a really good venue. So maybe if we're lucky, he will find a good venue for mid-late September and we can have 2 tournaments in a row! If that happens, and due to the fact that DOTJ might be earlier than we think, there will be 3-4 weeks in between tourneys so I don't feel that either's attandance will be adversly affected.

Oh, and yes, September 1st would be Labor Day (could be bad or good).

I'm more worried about conflictions such as the endless array of SA tourneys (no offense Felix :p You run great tournaments!), and OHSNAP 3.

Man that's a nice blue sky in that picture...

Galt

Smash Journeyman
You need help convincing them that it's not gambling? We Austin-types have had some experience in this area, since UT likes to lay down the justice on tournaments for money.

The truth is, gaming tournaments are not gambling because gambling relies on chance and luck. Game tournaments are counted in the same category as sports, contests of skill. Betting on results might be gambling, but the tournament itself is not. For confirmation of this, consider that MLG and other professional organizations have no age limit for entry to their tournaments. How could they get away with this if it was legally considered gambling?

As for the date, I'd vote September 1, because college will have reconvened for us by then, and that means I'd have a better chance of attending, assuming Jordan's not a pansy and wants to go and stuff.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Crews instead of low tier. Low tier tournaments have a long history of being boring and dumb, and there hasn't been a Texas crew battle since...well, since before I joined the smash community at least.

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
Well, once my copy of adobe reader stops being gay and I can see when school starts/other random crap ends, I can tell you if I'll be able to make it. Mostly likely, yes.

Mr. 3000

Smash Journeyman
add me and T-rex to the list of confirmed attendees, if it's the august 18th one, we're a go

Velox

Smash Ace
Ok, this looks like it has the potential to be even larger than I expected! Therefore, I am looking at several additional venues they I just found out existed while I was shopping around for venues!!! So I might change the venue to something larger, because honestly the previous one can only hold 40-60 people. I'm hopeing to have everything confirmed 100% by Friday.

Galt: Seriously, thanks for the advice! I never thought about using MLG as an example to what we're doing. I'll remember than when I have to convince either this venue or one of the other one's I've been looking into. I really hope you and the rest of Austin can go.

Bluezaft: I'll think about it, but really, we haven't had a good low tier tournament since before my time (being one of the SEx or WTYM tourneys), other than monthlies. And there has been lots of interest in addition to there being exceptional low tier players in Texas. But I'll think about it no doubt. I'm def. not counting it out, and it's good to hear suggestions like this for the tourney everyone really wants.

Cuno56: Although low-tier teams would undoubtedly be fun, my priorities before that would be crews and this crazy Guilty Gear game that lots of people play (in Magnolia, that would be Sethlon + Zap101). But don't plan on anything extra, because time is always a problem no matter the tourney.

TGM

Smash Lord
HOST2 will happen, i just need a good venue. but anyways, i suggest you do low tier. crews is just kinda not fun. but seeing moufs DK wreck is fun.

and please no GG, its too slow. bring in some marvel vs capcom 2.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Bump to save this topic from going into the abyss that is second page. <_<

Also, I suggest a DS-related side tournament.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
GG is too slow? rofl @ that

And I want to come, I will try to generate some interest from fellow Austin smashers as well. Also, I love Low Tier and Crews equally, so I don't care which gets chosen. The only reason Low Tier isn't always fun is because people don't make it fun. it has the potential to be as there will likely be several good players who are very competant with low tiers coming to this. And no, it won't be just Mouf. I can think of around 10 exceptional low tier players just off the top of my head, some of which can play multiple low tiers well.

Velox

Smash Ace
Exactly. I remember at Bear's first monthly when Scav/Rayz/JF/Magnolia/TGM/etc. were there it was fun, we made it fun, and it was awesome. That and I want to watch makeamidget's Pichu LOL

That and let's be honest guys, Texas has a lot of really really awsome low tiers.

And I've actually got a low-tier I like playing... I admit it... I love Yoshi.

Anways, sorry I haven't worked on this lately, I've been sick/haven't had a day off. I got to wait till the work week before I can get ahold of the venues.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Don't do side tourney's, we won't have time and they are never good unless free.

Crews instead of low tiers, no one ever likes low tiers except mouf.

Ronnie

Smash Apprentice
How about you have everything!!!

whooo free smashhh

akjwjrwir

jake is gay

gskgflg wahahahhj skjdajjksadkadmas,das.

TGM

Smash Lord
Ronnie, for once in your life. your sig is F-ing funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes GG is slow.

I like low tier instead of crews. i really wanna see mouf Dk go.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Crews instead of low tiers, no one ever likes low tiers except mouf.
This man speaks lies. I love low tier, bear does, and i'm sure gabe would too, with that pika beast of his. And velox plays yoshi. And zap101 plays luigi (assuming that he comes).

And a double lawl @ GG being slow.

G@BE

Smash Lord
Low tier is amazing....

Jake just sucks at low tiers!!!!!! jk

OMG!!!!
best idea ever!
a low tier crew!?!?!?!

Mouff, Alex, Ronnie, Bear, Velox and Me

we would ****... i think <,<

Velox

Smash Ace
Well, I got in a head on collision yeterday and totalled my truck, but I'm going to try and not let that stop this tournament, I'll find a way to check with the venues and see which one's best anyways, I just don't know how yet... like I haven't even thought about how I'm going to make it to work yet.

Some1 will make his triumphant return to this!

Most likely this will happen at a Methodist Church between Tomball and Magnolia (it's huge!!!)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
*is looking forward to this*

And definitely keep low tier. There are plenty of people to make this happen.

Some Houston drivers are ********. Use your turn signals, peoples! ;)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Lawlz jake, you can't count. Me, gabe, velox, Rockettrainer, ronnie, mouf and TGM = 7.

Lol chris, you've just had bucket loads of bad luck lately, huh? The store you work at getting robbed the morning of YCBM2, and then this head on collision, and there's been rumors running around that you choked on an icecube and died...
If need be, I could probably toss down money for renting whatever venue we eventually use.

Velox

Smash Ace
I think I'm one of the least lucky people alive, at least the wreck wasn't my fault (****ty tires I think), that makes me feel slightly better...

And the day before yesterday I had hydroplaned reeediculous, so I know something was wrong with my truck. Not to mention I took the turn well below the turn speed limit, which is much lower than the road speed limit.

Jake, one of my big reasons for not having crews before is because I'd need a hugggge venue, but now I'm pretty sure we're gunna have that at this church I'm seriously considering. So who knows. I personally would rather have low tier though.

TGM

Smash Lord
Please have it in a church. Cause this would would answer a problem i have been having for a while.

Gabe: if we do crews. all i would need is Roy_R and TGM ..........we can beat anything.

everybody i know in SSBM has a low tier....****ty or not, they got one. I highly recommend the church and low tier.

TGM

Smash Lord
if me and roy were to be a crew. we could take out crews of 4 or 5.

Knee+tgm combo=auto win

Velox

Smash Ace
Okay, I dicussed this with the church today and another random venue (and left a dam* good impression if I do say so myself), and I'm almost 100% positive we will be able to book the church for merely a 5$ entry fee per person. But their approval process will take probably a week before I know for sure, but like I said, it's gunna be at the church I'm almost positive, which is awesome reeediculous, because it will take place in their large fellowship hall, so I can comforably say that this will be as large as HOST if all goes well and I secure the venue.

When I do get it secured (I'm shoting for Saturday, August 25th now), I will completely update the first post and having everything finalized, you'll know when I do this, because I'm thinking about changing the name of the tournament then as well... I was thinking, "Why promote johns at my tournament? Wouldn't I rather promote discussion about something more attractive?" Thus, the tournament name will be a juicy Resident Evil 4 quote. I can't wait!

In the meantime, get the word out there guys! This tournament is going to be big!

Like, I'm talking OOSer big I hope.

Oh, BTW, the other random venue was hilarious, it's smaller than the church and they were wanting me to pay $1500 for just the evening. I actually LOLed in their face, I couldn't resist.

Also, to touch on crews a little more. I've always thought as crews as more of a MM type event rather than a bracket event. You know, just 2 crews battle it out. In brackets, it always doesn't seem like there is enough crews to actually fill out a bracket. So we might just have some TVs off to the side at some point where crew battles can commence. Not to take away from the spectacal of crews, I'm sure they would be interesting and lots of people would watch (they would get lots of attention), but it just doesn't feel like a bracket event to me. I think low-tier will most likely stay. We need it.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
When I do get it secured (I'm shoting for Saturday, August 25th now)
:( That's the day I'm moving back to Austin, so I totally won't be there in time to be there. Not only that, but if Xelic goes, then he won't be at UT that day, so I won't have anyone to feed me loads of cookies and play old-school games with me until, like, Sunday, which is an absurd injustice. Don't you people know that I have to be at work at 8 tomorrow morning with only one other person to sell pickles and Sour Skittles to and make over 100 popcorn + Coke packs for drooling kids, but they're watching Transformers, which is 2.5 hours long, so it'll be over at 11:30, which is normally when I would just be getting to work, and I have to work all day anyway, so I'll have to work from 8-4:15, then 5:20 - 10:15(ish), followed by another special kids show on August 3 because I'm one of two reliable workers whom my Final Boss actually trusts? I don't ask for much; all I ask is that the Wii have actual core-gamer games and that you schedule this Smash tournament around my schedule. Neither of those seems unreasonable to me. Isn't it bad enough that I have to be the enabler who allows people to go see Chuck & Larry tomorrow? Isn't it bad enough that I relied on an increase in minimum wage to get a raise when we don't even get any overtime because of some supposed commerce loophole, even though I worked 87 hours in the last two weeks, and even though I work every major holiday including Christmas, New Year's, and the 4th of July. and even though the people in my hometown are so ugly that I can't bear to look at them for extended periods without my special filtered contacts? :'(

Everyone should listen to Within Temptation's stuff from the Mother Earth days, Mercenary from the 11 Dreams days, Sonata Arctica from the Winterheart's Guild days, and Cradle of Filth from the ****ation and a Day days. That is all.

Look, Drew, no racism! And any flaming is entirely Xelic's fault.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't even support a government-mandated minimum wage. Nor do I think Michael Moore isn't a nutjob for thinking that health care is an American right and that profits have no place in hospitals--I'm not paying for it when you overdose or have your 9th ugly kid, and I'll never ask you to pay for my ***** reduction surgery.

TGM

Smash Lord
Velox, if your venue works. i would like for you to please help em sweet talk them into allowing HOST2......please!?!?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom