• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data compilation for Smash 4 3DS/Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Do not send these files to other TOs just yet. This is the beta version, and if data consolidation can occur it will occur only if people are using the same spreadsheet.

Spreadsheet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20676635/Smash%204/Player%20and%20Character%20Rankings.xlsx

Slips: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20676635/Smash 4/TournamentSlips.docx

Character Rankings (top 8) spreadsheet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20676635/Smash 4/Character Rankings.xlsx

I've filled in the spreadsheet with some fake information to show you what it looks like in full. The spreadsheet is nearly fully automated and in a few places is idiot proof in that it doesn't allow you to misspell stage or character names or use goofy abbreviations. You choose from a dropdown list!

To fill out the spreadsheet...

• Open the "Tournament Slips" document
  • Follow the instructions of that document and print off multiple slips and fill them out with tournament information
  • Open up the Player and Character Rankings Beta spreadsheet
  • In the "Raw data" worksheet, you'll see things that look similar to the tournament slips. Fill out the ORANGE BOXES ONLY and it will populate the rest automatically.
  • If you have a timeout, you need to MANUALLY fill in any and all Player/Character Win/Losses, as it may fill in incorrectly if people have tied stock and there is a timeout
  • After filling out the information, cycle through the other tabs in the workbook to see the information.
Most information is conditionally formatted on a 3-color scale. Red is lowest, yellow is 50%, Green is highest. Basically the lighter a cell is, the closer to the top it is. The darker a cell is, the closer to the bottom it is.

When viewing these sheets, the green things are going to be the ones you look for.

There's also some basic statistical stuff on a few of the pages for fun, things like averages, total amounts, min/max, standard deviation, as well as some misc data like the amount of 1/2/3/4 stock victories, average stock remaining for the first/second/third game (will help greatly on determining if counterpicks show an advantage), amount of timeouts total, etc., etc.

Here's some screenshots:

The name for both documents will change later.

This is ONE of two spreadsheets I've been working on, the other is a bit more robust but only requires my input and tournament results threads. It should be ready by release.

If you have time, use this spreadsheet and make sure the math adds up. If you think there's something that needs to be added, let me know.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I have a program that runs with python and has scriptable "game structures" and outputs in json. I'm probably looking to do a web implementation at some point in the near future.

I output a lot of data: http://smashboards.com/threads/353359/#post-16887529

But I'd take a gander at how some of the league sites hold data (or at least used to, all of it is hidden to the public now ...)

Stage vs Character vs Players vs Win/Losses

anything and everything that correlates 2 or more of those things.

i.e.
Player + Stage: Win/Losses when playing on that stage
Player + Stage + character: Win/Losses of characters related to stages
Player + Player: Win/Loss data, character use data, stage use data
Player + Player + Character + Stage: Listing instances of individual matches
Characters: General match up data
Player + Characters: Relative character potency accounted by popularity (i.e. scaling character dominance by player rankings)

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Things I'd like to see, for both individual character as well as match-ups between two characters:

Usage
Set win %
1st game win %
CP game win %
Opponent's CP game win %
How often is this character used to CP?
How often is this character used Game 1?
How often do people stick with this character when getting CP'd?
How often do people stick with this character when CPing?

Things I'd like to see for players, for both the individual and head-to-head vs another player:

Set win %
1st game win %
CP game win %
Opponent's CP game win %
How often does this person use each of their characters?
What is their character usage breakdown for first game, their CP, and their opponent's CP?
What are their stats for individual characters for first game, their CP, and their opponent's CP?

This is probably overkill (although it's just a preliminary list for me lol), but eh. I trust you know how to filter out what's really a priority for your program. I'd include stuff about picking stages but I feel like it's too much of a hassle to expect people to properly report :x

Ideally, this should be something that integrates well with Smashboards' rankings feature, or replaces it if it's somehow superior in every way possible. Would be awesome to have everything centralized in one place :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
A big one i'd like to see is data on which tourneys use custom moves and which custom moves are used the most.
Oohhhh, that's a good one.

The biggest issue I have with this spreadsheet is that it requires player input. In other words, people are going to have to write stuff down.

There's all sorts of stuff I'd like to record, but the requirement of TOs or players filling in slips of paper and then uploading pictures of that paper or the data themselves makes it less than likely that this will be an easy task. :(

It might be easier to record custom move usage via a poll of select players. I have access to a pretty robust survey tool (qualtrics) and could do a self-guided survey once we knew all the character/move combos.

Something like:

"What is your primary character"
-> move to Q choices based on that character
"For character X, what do you choose for your up+B?"
"..side+b?"
"...down+B?"
"What costume do you use?"
"Do you have any matchups where you specifically change the custom moveset?"
-> If yes, move to question below
"Can you give an example of what matchup requires you to change your moves and what those moves are?" (short essay)

I have a program that runs with python and has scriptable "game structures" and outputs in json. I'm probably looking to do a web implementation at some point in the near future.
That'd be cool. My programming knowledge is pretty limited. :(

The spreadsheet I'm created is mostly meant to be for small collections rather than huge ones -- it can be used as a huge gathering of information, but it'll likely be used for specific tournament series and the like.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I might have overlooked this, but do you have people watching stations to fill these out or do you collect data from the video footage of, say, top 8? I'd contribute to it if it's easy to use.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I might have overlooked this, but do you have people watching stations to fill these out or do you collect data from the video footage of, say, top 8? I'd contribute to it if it's easy to use.
I'd give out a 'print off' word document to TOs and they'd just fill 'em out for the top 8. Video could also be used if we had all the videos.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Does anyone happen to know the names of all the stages? Need it for filling out my spreadsheet. >_>

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Main post updated. Stage list will have to change upon release, but it's good enough for viewing.

Download the spreadsheet/slips and take a look at it, mess around by filling in fake information. If you have two japanese 3DSes, use it to record data and then take a look at the real data afterwards. If you're a stream junkie, fill it in by watching the stream for a lark.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I've made some improvements to the spreadsheet that I'll be posting soon.

My second spreadsheet is one that I'll be taking care of, but it uses a ranking system similar to the one Ankoku made before except it focuses on Characters, not players. This allows me to see how good characters are actually performing across the board. It's not a tier list as it doesn't directly try to predict how good characters SHOULD do, but rather illustrates how well they ARE doing.

I'm thinking about doing some sort of contest where people guess the exact order of all the characters in terms of ranking and then give a prize to whoever wins, but I'm not sure what the prize would be.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I've got another spreadsheet for you:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20676635/Smash 4/Character Rankings.xlsx

This one is less of an "anyone can use it' and more of a "look what Overswarm is doing". It can be used for individual tournaments but is best used as a metric across ALL tournaments.

What I'll be doing is collecting data from every tournament that fits certain criteria (entrants, costs $ to enter, etc.) and updating on a monthly basis as to what characters have had what impact.

This spreadsheet uses a point system first made by Ankoku, the shape changing spreadsheet demon of lore who hides amongst us even now. It refers to entrants and the entry fee to determine how many points a character gets for their placement. For a 32 man tournament with a $5 entry fee, you get 10 points divided amongst your characters. That means if you play 2 charcters, you personally add 5 points per character to their total.

It does the same thing with $ won. If you have a 16 man tournament with $5 entry fee (netting 5 points to the character in first place!) then you have a total of $80 in prizes to dole out. If you play one character (like the Diddy example here), you'll get a whopping $40 added to that character's winnings if you get first and 1st place gets 50% of the pot. But if you get 30% for second and play THREE characters, your $24 in winnings is divided by the number of characters you used, so only $8 is added to each of them.

Unfortunately I can't automate this (people have different amounts given) so I have to manually type that in too... but it works.

It also tracks the number of characters used (so we can see how many single, double, and triple character players there are reaching the top 8).

This isn't a tier list but rather an accurate reflection of what has already happened. Best of all, it only requires on data slave (me) rather than people filling out spreadsheets and tables and the like. As time goes on, we can see trends based on the increase in usage, money won, etc., etc.

This worked out very well in Brawl and actually was able to help me predict the future in terms of what characters were going to do well and when. You also find some pretty neat trends with characters.

If @ Shaya Shaya wants I'd be happy to do a monthly article on character progression in Smash 4.

If anyone here has any issues with how the spreadsheet is set up (like bad calculations) or has an idea that would make the spreadsheet more helpful, just lemme know so I can update it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Also I've updated the initial spreadsheet (player and character rankings):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20676635/Smash 4/Player and Character Rankings.xlsx

That one requires a dedicated TO filling out information, but it is pretty huge. I've added some data from Jed's online tournament (the very first one!) for you to look at and fixed some errors I found. There MIGHT be more errors in there, but there's so much data it's really difficult to spot check. o_o

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
The TO never got back to me. :/

I ended up not going. I'm keeping this on the DL, but I injured my arms at work 2 weeks ago. My arms have been fine for 2 years but I was reassigned to a new desk that's not as ergonomic. I can play Smash a bit here and there but didn't feel I could handle a full tournament. Super bummed because I was planning on going to one on Sat and Sun.

I'll keep resting, icing, and med-ing so hopefully I can go to one this Sat.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Glucosamine Chondroitin + Omega 3 Fish Oil is what I use, helps with my shoulders and hands. I have hyper flexible joints which spells bad news for cartilage retention in the long term, and the above two help with potential achey hands and whatnot. Dunno if it applies to your scenario, but if it has to do with pain just from every day use of your hands/shoulders and happens to be related to cartilage, that's the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom