• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Dancing sometimes not working briefly (30 seconds to 1 minute)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malart

Smash Apprentice
K so I've noticed this for a while now, and gotten confirmation when I'm playing someone, on multiple systems. Every once in a while, dash dancing acts extremely spotty. I will attempt to dash back after a dash, and I will either just pivot in place, pivot walk, or it won't register at all and I'll just keep running in the initial direction, then do a dash turnaround the next time I hit the other direction.
I've waited until it happened, and just kept inputting dash dancing, regardless of the fact that it wasn't working. After a period of time (see title) it'll just revert and start working perfectly again. When it's not working for me, it's not working for the other player as well.
I thought I was just doing it extremely wrong over and over, but I'm more and more certain that it's not me.
Anyone else experience this? It's extremely annoying lol

**Edit**
So from what I said up there, it sounds like I didn't stop dashing first and just kept inputting dash dancing. Poor wording on my part. I stopped, returned to an idle animation, and tried again, over and over. It almost feels like the threshold for a dash becomes much more precise/different than normal, then after a while returns to normal.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
This also happens to me, but im almost certain its my controller.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It's not a glitch, you're just not good enough at dash dancing.
You're also doing the tilt pivot tech by accident by inputting too softly in the opposite direction when you dash the other way. Use quicker control stick movements.
When you start turning in circles, you can dash the other way because standing turn around don't allow you to dash backwards. So you just end up turning around again once the turn around animation finishes because you are still releasing the control stick from trying to dash that direction. Then you're repeating the process.

Last edited:

Malart

Smash Apprentice
I thought that was the case too, but I've been very careful and deliberate with it. It's not ever something that happens to me in Melee, where the inputs for almost everything are noticeably less forgiving.
Insofar as not moving the stick quickly enough, I can waveshine, invincible ledge-dash, moonwalk, and initial dash jump-cancelled shine turnaround ledgehog, all of which I would think require faster stick motions than dash-dancing.
I thought it was just me, but other people I know who are more experienced have had the same issue. They don't notice it until I ask them if they can dash-dance. Then they try it, and can't.
I can dash dance perfectly 99% of the time, but every once in a while this problem crops up seemingly randomly, then goes away just as randomly.
If you'd like, I can upload footage of my hands to prove my super-leet finger speed. :)

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It didn't happen in melee because melee doesn't have the tilt pivot tech.
Additionally, the threshold for a dash on the control stick is less in PM than in melee. Deliberately trying to go about dash dancing in the exact same manner as you would in melee is where you are going wrong. If you play enough, this goes away. I had that issue too, then I stopped acting like I should get a free pass on tech skill because melee, recognized what I was doing wrong, and eventually it went away.

Malart

Smash Apprentice
Ok I play PM (WAY) more than melee, and only recently started playing melee again, only because one of my friends prefers it to PM. Melee does in fact have something very similar to the tilt pivot tech, as if you return the stick to neutral too quickly after a dash, you will pivot in place.
Once I start noticing it happen in, I very very, VERY deliberately start attempting very rhythmic, quick dashes back and forth. every third or fourth dash, it will happen. I'm not pushing it too little and I'm not trying to dash in the other direction too fast. I flick the stick all the way to one side, then return it to neutral, then flick it all the way to the other side, rinse and repeat. Do me a favor, and load up PM, and just try dash dancing in place (or around the stage) for ten or more minutes straight, and see if it happens to you. Perhaps it could be my controller, and perhaps it could be my hands, but it's not just me that's noticed it, it's 3-4 people (who can dashdance just fine normally) who notice the same thing at the same time once I point it out. and it stops for both people playing at the same time.
I'm not acting like I should get a free pass, I don't post anything in the bug forums unless I research it quite thoroughly. The only other thing I posted was a problem with Lucas's powershield window, which no once who replied noticed. Before I posted it, I went into training with every single character for at least 10-20 minutes each, just powershielding over and over... it got to the point that I could powershield every single laser... with everyone but my main, Lucas. Then it got fixed and put in the patch notes of the next update. I'm sure that sounds self righteous, but that's not my intent. This (possible) bug is very minor but very annoying when it crops up, as I have to stop dashdancing while it's happening, then it will return to normal.

Malart

Smash Apprentice
In any case, regardless of whether or not you accept the possibility of it being there, it's in the bug forums now, so if it's an actual thing, perhaps it'll get fixed. No need to convince you of it.

Malart

Smash Apprentice
This also happens to me, but im almost certain its my controller.
Does it happen exactly like I described? Because it happens for me with all the controllers I own, including the new (well, it was new a few months ago) one that I currently use.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
@standardtoaster @MonkUnit @ whatever PMBR member, can you come talk some sense into this person about tilt pivots and how accidentally doing one stops you from dash dancing simply because the option is not there during the standing turn around

Any time this problem has come up it has always been a result of players accidentally doing tilt pivots then failing the next dash because tilt pivots do that. then failing the next dash because they accidentally turned around again after the first pivot, which causes the same thing.

This is why stopping flicking the control stick seems to fix it- at that point you're allowing your character to fully turn around and return to idle standing so that another dash input doesn't result in another flubbed-dash-becomes-turn-around.

And your friends are making the same mistake.

Last edited:

Malart

Smash Apprentice
Stopping flicking the control stick and returning to an idle animation doesn't fix it, otherwise I'd have never made the post. It continues to happen for a short time AFTER I stop flicking it. Then after a short time it returns to normal.
I'm not just mindlessly slamming the stick back and forth continuously and saying 'hurrdurr why isn't it working?'. I promise you I'm smarter than that.
When it happens, I stop dashing, wait a second or two, then try again... and it happens again within a few very deliberate dashes. Then I stop and try again, and it happens again. Rinse and repeat for a short time, then it just stops happening, and the same inputs work just fine.
I understand how dash dancing works and I understand that the standing turnaround animation doesn't allow you to dash, and that's not what's happening. I don't always just turn around in place. sometimes the dash in the opposite direction just doesn't register and I just do a foxtrot in one direction

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
Dude, it is definitely not tilt pivots, I have been having the same problem. In the middle of a match, not every match, for a period of about 10-20 seconds all dash dancing will cease and it will turn into pivoting. I will then stop, wait a sec try again, same result. After about 10 seconds I will then be able to resume dash dancing. I have been playing PM since 2.1 and am well away of the difference between pivoting in Melee and PM, as well as its capabilities, including, as shown by The NZA, that you can just move across the entire stage with pivots. That is NOT what I am doing.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Does it happen exactly like I described? Because it happens for me with all the controllers I own, including the new (well, it was new a few months ago) one that I currently use.
What would happen for me would be that at first I would be dash dancing like normal. I pride myself on my tech skill, so to me dash dancing is nothing, ive been able to do it perfectly at any distance for longer than a minute before. But lately, after a certain amount of time, the character would just start walking, kinda like a walking dash dance, this might be the "pivoting" you're talking about.

The only reason I think its my controller is because a similar thing happens to me when I play Melee.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I did a 6 minute test with 2 players and encountered no problems so far. Have you considered that you can't actually turn on the first 3 frames of forward dash. Thus making a very quick dash forward -> dash back will moon walk or just turn instead. Other thing is that if you empty pivot, you must wait the entire turn animation to end before you can dash back again.

Also I've had problems with many controllers such that my control stick input sticks to side even after I've moved it to neutral. That would mess up my dd in melee.

Last edited:

Malart

Smash Apprentice
Yeah once it starts happening, I don't do super quick dashing in place. I dash in a direction, return to neutral, and the character dashes a good distance each time, so I'm not doing it too fast in that case. it is possible that when I return to neutral, before I do the dash, that I'm inputing a pivot, but that wouldn't explain why it even affects dashing in just one direction, as it would be very obvious if I were turning around. It's something I usually only notice if I I'm doing one-player control practice on stages for more than an hour. it can happen at any point during that hour, even more than once. At this point I'm convinced that it's either my controller or the game, because I'm definitely not inputting tilt pivots lol.

Wrestlemania

The Steel Chair
Well, I have a 2 month old White controller so it definitely isn't my controller. Similarly, I have only run into it when playing for long periods of time, and it is not an every match sorta thing. I know you guys want to blame it on me messing up with pivoting but I fully understand how pivoting works and it is not that, yes that is what end up happening, you just start pivot walking, but that is not what I am putting in the inputs for.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
It can definitely be your controller @ Wrestlemania Wrestlemania . I had controller stick problems with a brand new official nintendo controller that affected dd after two weeks of playing. I've had problems with 3 of my 6 controllers, so I think controller problems are the most likely. Also I just did more than hour dd practice with 2 players with no problems.

Also I play dash dance heavy characters (marth, fox, zard) and have never run into problems in pm yet.

Last edited:

Malart

Smash Apprentice
Hmm could it be a problem that affects two controllers simultaneously, then disappears, leaving everything working just fine for quite a while until it happens again? it's not anything consistent is what makes me think it isn't the controller. Also I just want to thank you for responding in a civil way, Tau.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I cannot explain it happening to two controllers simultaneosly. It makes me think it must be a problem with the setup then.

Malart

Smash Apprentice
Well it's happened on at least two setups (always the same way), both of which had custom content, so maybe that's the problem, idk. in any case, if anyone else notices it they can post about it here. It's just something I'll have to deal with, weird as it is.

Mankind

Smash Rookie
NNID
4Mankind
I'm also running into this problem as well! I'm trying to dash dance and the game reads it as turning around or it'll register the dash dance and then immediately stop. I recently bought two controllers, so they shouldn't be broken. Has anyone here solved what causes this?

EDIT: I've been playing Event #33 Lethal Marathon and when I try running, it'll put Falcon in his walking animation. And I put the controller stick all the way to the side. I bought one of the controllers 2 weeks ago and got the other one for christmas. I know how to dash dance btw. I think it might be the ports to the Wii or it could be the tv. If anyone has solved it tho, let me know because I could use the help!

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
lethal marathon is speed up, you have to press the control stick ridiculously hard to get it to dash
same if you set the game speed to 1.5x or 2x
besides that, what I said earlier in the thread still stands; this is a player issue, not a game bug or controller issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom