• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Attack > U-Smash True Combo %s

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
So I'm sure we all know just how situational of a move U-Smash is, there's almost never a reason to use it where U-tilt or U-air would probably be a much better choice.
The only time this moves really ever has any use is against tall/fat characters for building up damage, and rarely out of a Dash Attack.

So I went into Training Mode to see which characters exactly can get hit by U-Smash out of a Dash Attack for a true combo.
Of course, since this was done in Training Mode DI, SDI, VI, Rage, Crouch Canceling, Ect. are not taken into account here.
I only documented the percents where all hits added up to a 6 hit combo(28 Damage) on the combo counter, and I only used the strong hit of Dash Attack.
I will later add the percents for the late hit of Dash Attack as I was able to get it to combo on Captain Falcon and Shulk on accident.

Special thanks to @ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster for helping find some extra characters that this combo works on!

:4bowser:0% (Only 2 hits connect and he falls out, sometimes gets hit by finisher but never the full move, could be used to setup a grab or U-tilt maybe?)
:4bowserjr:0-4% (Must hit Clown Car)
:4wario:0-8%
:4dk:0-2% (Works till about 10% but isn't registered as a true combo)
:4diddy:11%
:4link:0-10%
:4sheik:0-5%
:4ganondorf:0-3% (Slips out sometimes. Often misses one hit for some reason as well.)
:4samus:0-2%
:4zss:0-12%
:4pit:/:4darkpit:0-7%
:4marth:0-8%
:4myfriends:0-14%
:4robinm:0-2% Falls out A LOT
:4dedede:0-18%
:4metaknight:0-8%
:4littlemac:0-15%
:4fox:0-10%
:4falco:0-8%
:4pikachu:0%
:4lucario:0-6%
:4greninja:0%
:4duckhunt:0%
:4rob:0-23%
:4falcon:0-18%
:4darkpit:0-5%
:4lucina:0-4%
:4shulk:0-6%
:4megaman:0-17%
:4feroy:0-15%
:4ryu:0-9%

:4mario:0%
:4wario:0%
:4link:0-3%
:4samus:0-6%
:4zss:0-3%
:4myfriends:0-7%
:4falco:0-6%
:4rob:0-3%
:4olimar:0% (Not worth it, very unlikely to be able to get correct spacing.)
:4pit:/:4darkpit:0%
:4shulk:0-4%
:4megaman:0-1%
:4ryu:0-2%

Some characters may be able to be hit at slightly higher percents where I was unable to get it to connect, if any of you happen to decide to test any on your own, post it here and I will credit you in the OP.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Nice! Also add:
Bowser Jr. 0-4%
Little mac 0-15%
Olimar 0% (best with 6 damage starter)
Duck hunt 0% (1 frame off and it doesn't true combo... it is possible to get it register the full 28 damage)

I'll add a link to this thread from the complete combo thread. I'm holding off more experimenting until patch... I'm really, really hoping for less endlag on some of her moves...

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Thanks, I'll add these guys to the OP right now.

Same here, I'm hoping they buff U-Smash a bit by making it lock enemies in easier and have a bit more killing power so it's not as useless.

Boney

Smash Apprentice
If you're hitting a dash attack at such low percents, wouldn't up air be a better choice all the time?

I guess I still don't find any actual value to up smash, but still thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
If you read an airdodge or simply jump after them you can either

Uair > fair
uair > bair
uair > uair
uair > CS

So while it does require a prediction the damage output potential is higher.

On heavy characters too you can read an airdodge and double up smash

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
If you're hitting a dash attack at such low percents, wouldn't up air be a better choice all the time?
In the combo thread I listed this combo as "not suggested" because it's difficult to line up and as you say at low % the opponent has little control over DI so the up-air chain is all but guaranteed.
However there are several reasons why you could fish for this harder to achieve combo instead:
1- It leaves you grounded, which means the aerial pursuit game is still on. Even the lightest target this hits is still within range of up-air->up-air->up-B or any other variant
2- It's a 2-step, 28 damage combo, really nothing to sneeze at and easy on the inputs wi-fi. It links naturally to the up-air->CS variants since that circa 28 damage range is exactly where you want them for this.
3- Most importantly: Your opponent.
If your opponent sees the same thing over and over again, then they are in a different psychological state after seeing something new and unexpected. I'm confident I've won matches on better players than me simply because I pulled out of my bag things they never knew about. I've seen the really simple n-air->f-tilt make an aggressive opponent suddenly turtle up. The switch in their heads goes off "wait a minute, that works?!..." and you go from a known quantity to something they're not so sure about. People call it the flow of battle, it's real.

Last edited:

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Updated the OP with slightly bigger % ranges for a bunch of characters and added some, also added Late Hit ranges.

Thanks to the buff to U-smash's hitbox size, Diddy Kong can be hit with this combo now.
So that's something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom