• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Attack to Fair

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
So I was playing FG, and while I was in the waiting room, I messed around with the dash attack, and noticed I could get a few Fairs from it. I went into Training, and found a string. NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A TRUE COMBO!!!
At low percents, an 8% dash attack followed with a short hopped Fair often strung together for a quick 22 damage. If you catch your opponent near the ledge, you can kill at 30% if they have poor recovery! (This testing was on Lucina, BTW.) At around 45%, switch to full hops. It's still effective, and can seal stocks nicely. And it still does 22 damage even if it doesn't kill. Make sure to follow your opponent, or you'll just miss and get punished. So there you have it, a rewarding if somewhat difficult sometimes Fair string.

PS: A full hopped Fair can hit someone standing on the top platform of BF. There's no real reward other then Fair's high damage output.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Unfortunately, I would almost never condone a short hopped fair unless you have the hardest of reads or you're jumping off of the stage or a ledge or something. Full hopped fair is so much safer in every single way.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I also rarely use it. I use it as a very situational stage spike when people like to hang on the edge a little too long, something that I've been doing since Brawl. Otherwise I only do it if I'm on tilt, as we usually have better options.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I've actually been wondering about the use of dash attack for characters hanging on the ledge. I've stage-spiked people successfully after trumping a character and having them re-grab ledge but I'm wondering if this is a useful move for exploiting that 1 frame of vulnerability every character has immediately when they grab ledge.

I think Dash attack into SH Fair is valuable but even at low percents I find characters get bumped up a bit too high for it to work. Plus I feel like you're left in a super punishable position if your opponents air dodges properly.

Macedonian

Smash Apprentice
the DA is great at covering landings, edgegaurding since it will hit slightly below the edge.

im not sure if this is optimal but often a DA after a Nair can be a true combo, while popping them in the air for more aerial follow ups

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Dash Attack should be used in the same way F-tilt is used: As a second best answer to everything.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Ftilt is really good for covering yourself and as a spacing tool on the ground. As well as followups in certain situations. (Back air -> Ftilt situations where you don't think grab is safe)

Also, I use it after messing up my spacing to help maintain safety. It's a good move. Dash attack? Far less useful. Still alright though.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I use dash attack for some of the things I would use a crawl for, if Mario had a crawl.

Macedonian

Smash Apprentice
Is it not common to try and extend combos or cover enemy landings with the DA?

I admit I use the DA to much and have been shield grabbed for it many a time. But I still think it's a fantastic move and feels like a pretty safe option to try and mix into edge guarding

popsofctown

Smash Champion
DA is not good for extending combos, I'm pretty sure it's not possible for DA to be the only move that will extend a true combo and other moves tend to have better follow ups. If you badly needed horizontal relocation to finish a combo I think pivot JC upsmash reaches a lot farther in the same timeframe.

For covering landings, again pivot JC upsmash is probably better, but maybe there are some situations where dash attack is better for lowering your hurtbox with a more generous timing than upsmash's invincibility.

It might be the best answer to a spotdodge soft read if some component of that read leaves you feeling they are unlikely to shield.

Top Bottom