• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Darklink presents "The Elite Four" Tempe, AZ RESULTS

Gah777

Smash Lord
Darklink, will you be hosting another tourney in December (during winter break)?

Also, I'm trying to get a crew together for summer and I welcome anyone who wants to join or have a crew match. I've got 4 (including myself) people that might be in.

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice
I've spent my time practicing my Sonic ever since I first got the game when it was first released. I watched every video i could find, found my way to the boards over a year or two ago, and have been using tricks and practicing as hard as I can...

...but the fact of the matter is, is that i have almost no friends where I live. I get extremely little practice at all against human players. Sure my CPUs are now entirely6 anti-Sonic after all this time, but they still fall over the exact same gimp padderns....I'm almost entirely broke all the time, my mother and father are practically in debt too...Getting a semi-decent controler is rare enough as is...

...So why was I so agitated? I lost all but a mere 26 cents, and have absolutely nothing to show for it. I'd be a little lighter hearted if I didn't lose more than what i arrived with...Also, these tournaments are the only real ways I can get money to not only pay for new controlers, but more importantly, seeing my girlfriend, and helping my dad with his bill that are pilling up....

Jane

Smash Hero
hey man i mean no offense by this but how do you expect to win at your very first tournament? and if smash tourneys are your only source of money, then i'm sorry to be the one to inform you that you are not going to be placing in the top 3 for a good long while. if you keep coming you have to be prepared to lose all the money you entered with. for now, you're basically just paying for tournament experience, which you'll need in the long run if you want to ONE DAY make money in a tourney.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Look at me, I'm always pissing my money away at these tourneys, getting last each time (melee and/or brawl)(excpet this last time at brawl.) As mad as I get losing my monies, the experience is what counts, learning matchups and how to apply tech skill into matches.

My Melee Ganon is slowly becoming more sexual, and Snake is well, Snake. But there is always room for improvement.

Good things come to those who wait.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
lol. that was my favorite Melee moment that day. Ganon is into sexually abusing falcons with 0% stomps, he can't help himeself.

my favorite brawl moment is when Kyle lost to me.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
yeah crimson it takes a LONG time to get GOOD at a game. i don't know about brawl, but I know in melee it's taken me about 2 years to get as good as i am, and i just barely started consistently placing top 5 at local tournaments. payout is usually only to top 3, and saturday was the first time i've placed top 3 since i think May (whenever Axe Effect was).

So if you don't want to lose money, don't enter the tournament. you can always go and play friendlies for fun, but don't expect to win money until you are REALLY good

good luck

JustinKamikaze

Smash Ace
yea Black Crimson you could always just kidnap Ally and M2k and practice in a hyperbolic time chamber till the next tourney ;D

but even than Sonic is just Sonic unless your really ****ing smart and good at reading Metaknight can just fair and nadoe your approaches and Snake can just uptilt and nade camp

hopefully you get good and show us up and be like X who beat Darklink with his Sonic that would be pretty awsome

oh and us top 3 players play together all the time thats why we are pretty much ahead of everybody else

Gah777

Smash Lord
yea Black Crimson you could always just kidnap Ally and M2k and practice in a hyperbolic time chamber till the next tourney ;D

but even than Sonic is just Sonic unless your really ****ing smart and good at reading Metaknight can just fair and nadoe your approaches and Snake can just uptilt and nade camp

hopefully you get good and show us up and be like X who beat Darklink with his Sonic that would be pretty awsome

oh and us top 3 players play together all the time thats why we are pretty much ahead of everybody else
When do you guys get together? Cuz I wanna up my game

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice
ANYWAY...I need actual practice sections and a new controler before I can ultimately do anything. I get what everyone is saying, so no more need to keep prying at it....

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
As I was scrolling looking at this page, when Zori's avatar went by I thought it was a Weepinbell. All I thought was "that's so cool, Weepinbell is awesome" and when I scrolled back up, it was just a Yellow Pikmin holding a rock or seed or something.

Then I was sad.

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
D:
That makes me sad... You guys shouldn't be smoking Especially Kira. WTF You are like 15 stop that ****. And Duffy I hope you didn't ;_; Or i'd be sad
That is all...
Wish I could of made it though.. I had no ride =[ BRYCE NEXT TIME TAKE ME =]
gahhhhhhhhh!!! you shoulda text'd me!!! i didn't get off work till 6 tho... but still woulda been happy to pick you up :)

Gah777

Smash Lord
we usually practice once or so a week either at my place or Darklinks in Tempe and it consists of Jard/Darklink/Darkshifter/and I and Wobbles but hes in Texas till January
Mind if i hang with you guys a little?

Crimson, hear my story

I remember when I first got a gamecube and melee, I was one of those kids (just like everyone else) who and beat all his friends and thought they could win tournaments. I played over 1000 hours and have nothing to show for it, since i still suck at melee. Any skill I have at that game comes from brawl.

Then Brawl came out and I played endlessly on wifi and that got me a little better i guess, I didnt learn mindgames as much but I got some spacing and some matchup experience. I still thought I was good when I was one of the worse players in this state.

After meeting a brawl player by the name of Pat Lock at a poker tournament, he told about smash and that people play tournaments. So one day I attended one at atomic comics and won one match (against bryce) and lost two instantly against starking and someone else. I didn't really care about the money I lost but I was just mad I did so bad.

To try to get better, I would go to all the smashfests, go to Justins house just to lose, go to jards house to lose, play Dook and lose, play Moo and lose, but after all that experience, I started to get a little better.

YOU HAVE TO LOSE A MILLION TIMES BEFORE YOU CAN BE GOOD AT OUR LEVEL

After that I still attended tournaments and lost, but I got ALOT better from that. Smash boards helped a lot too, but I wasn't even close to good enough where someone good like Justin or Jard would consider me as a partner. So I decided one day that I actually want to get good and started figuring out why.

I asked myself these questions and REALLY tried finding the answer
Why am I losing?
What am I doing wrong?
What can I do better?
How do I win?

Set up many situations with this question scheme

For example:

Why am I losing? I die too early, and the possibility for living longer exists
What am I doing wrong? I am not Di'ing and Momentum Cancelling
What can I do better? I have to train myself to do these techniques
How do I win? After I master this AND APPLY IT TO MY GAMEPLAY, I have to go on to the next concept

YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE WAY YOU THINK ABOUT THIS GAME TO GET BETTER

After long thought, I was able to answer those questions kind of, and with all the tournament experience I had, I was able to start being pretty good. I remember the first time I beat Justin, It was in a free tournament and I had just grasped the concept of airdodge baiting and punishing (such a simple technique that I couldn't even understand at this point). After that my skill sky rocketed.

Then I started to watch some videos with a completely new mindset (Why are they doing the things they are and how is it working, Then, how can i apply it to my gameplay)

After all this, I was finally able to be a decent player, and i STILL have soo much room for improvement, I have to go through my 4 questions again.

With me I just hit a period of time where I improved soo much, and I think that happends with everyone.

I hope I got a message out :p

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
@blackchrimson:

yo fool, i didn't read any of the responses, but im pretty sure they're saying the same thing as me:

for real, though, get a controller. you seem pretty inexperienced in smash community knowledge (based on your mindset and stuff, no offense) plus you said that was your first tournament. every smasher knows that third party (non-Nintendo) Gamecube controllers are just horrible. No exception; there's lookalikes that don't say "Nintendo Gamecube" on them, and look really good, but they're awful. Never use any Gamecube controller that isn't made by Nintendo; that's why yours broke. It wasn't bad luck or anything your fault; it was just bad equipment. You can find the white gamecube controllers online, or you can search the Internet and your local Gamestops. Try not to get used controllers from Gamestop; they usually die within like, three weeks of purchase. I've gone through like, 5 and stopped once I got a new one. If you're going to buy a used Gamecube controller, go to a more legit store like Bookman's

Duff0

Smash Ace
Chris makes a good point.

But an amazing tactic to improve is the way you think directly before a match.

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice

...You guys are right. No point in crying over spilled milk. ^^;
I'll try and get a new controler over the break, while also hopefully taking care of my passport and everything.

As for practice and get-togethers, I think I mgiht eb able to hook up a tournament sometime in the near fututre (say...a couple weeks). My mom's new place is rather small on the inside, but it's rather quite exquisit really. I'd need a few people to bring in a few TVs and systems and so-on.
I would be taking a small piece from the pot to pay for drinks and such like at last Elite Four. I think a pot-luck would be in order for some snacks and other junk.
Whaddya' guys think?

P.S
I'm a Haunter guy myself...My top Poke'mon in Red and Yellow... >|3 :093:

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Well Weepinbell is only awesome because he turns into Victreebel, who is even more awesome.

I don't think all Gamestop used controllers are bad, that's where I get mine and they've all worked great.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
A lot of it is the mindset you have when you play a match. You can't let small things get you down. I know it's something that I need to work on because I lost another tourney set because of it (inb4nojohns). I remember watching derp and tommy playing friendlies at the tuscon tourney. I judged him based on those friendlies, and thought I wouldn't have trouble beating him. He picks lucario, which suprises me, as he was olimar in the friendlies I watched, but I don't worry about it too much. The game starts, first stock I'm around 40% he's around 90%. I double jump into the lip of ps1, and being yoshi, it costs me a stock. After that I got soo nervous. He proceeds to tear me apart. Then he 2 stocks me on my cp. (which was a horrible cp now that I think about it... pictochat's high ceilings vs a lucario? xD)

That isn't the only time that something like that has happened to me though. I lost both my matches at AG because I lost my first stock early and it effected me for the whole set (stitchface to bombomb combo... wtf? xD)

Anyway, the point is, no matter how much practice you have, you need to maintain a good solid mindset before and throughout your matches. I've been trying hard to improve my mindset. And so far it's been working. I don't get nervous every match anymore. Now I need to keep stupid deaths from getting to me (they happen a lot when you main a horrible character <3 yoshi xD. Still, a lot of them are avoidable too (eg. don't get hit by the stitchface, don't go under the stage, etc)).

EDIT: Grammar nazi delta made me attempt to fix it up. :p

Gah777

Smash Lord
Haha stupid deaths happen to me all the time too and i maun Marth. That's usually how I lose too (from a stupid death). For example in my first tourney my first match was against Silly Kyle and it ended with me getting caught under the stage when I upb'd. It probably didn't help that he got a beam sword... Stupid stuff happens to me all the time and that's usually how I lose. But hey, that's just something I need to work on.

Top Bottom