• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dance Dance Revolution discussion/accomplishments.

Emacee

Smash Ace
That's the first I have heard of someone getting violent because they lost. That's an oteresting situation where your lack of play has caused you to go back in time in terms of your ddr skill.

MasterFoot

Smash Journeyman
You pretty much would have to have the song memorized for like the last third of it to even stand a chance at passing it.
Fraid not arrow, if u read alot of songs at high speeds like that using stepmania you'll quickly upgrade your reactions to be able to that part with blidning ease, i know because I almost AAA'd Max.Period with 1 miss (right at the end before the freeze) I always miss that for some reason, I have a snapshot i took if anyone would like it.

I as of now am just accumulating songs for stepmania causs im awsome like that.

Edit:Edited for grammer error that made the message contradict itself.

Emacee

Smash Ace
Was this AAA done on a keyboard? Or do you have a pad hooked up to your computer?

oh..uh..DDR is a waste of money near me. its like 75c or a dollar.
75 cents for a game is not bad at all. There used to be a fifth mix about 40 minutes away that was 50 cents for 5 songs. One dollar is fair if you get four or five songs a game. But the closest Extreme is a dollar for only three.:skull:
That aforementioned fifth mix has been removed :( and the other bowling alley of the same name got a "DDR Solo 4th Mix Plus." It's 75 cents for four songs but seeing as it is a solo machine, the pad is very very bad.

Emacee

Smash Ace
One of the two Cobalt Flux metal DDR platforms my borther ordered came to our house. So far this thing is a very good platform. If at any time you have the money to buy one of these I would recommend it. I can finally play doubles. Although for now one platform is metal and the other is soft. It's an awkward transition.

A picture of the first one is here.

That's me breaking it in.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, it looks a lot lighter than I imagined. Does it shift around at all when you're playing? How much did you say these run for? I'm pretty interested in buying a new pad, and spending a bit more money on it than usual in exchange for durability, simply because I'm tired of having to buy new soft pads (I've already gone through two).

Fraid not arrow, if u read alot of songs at high speeds like that using stepmania you'll quickly upgrade your reactions to be able to that part with blidning ease
I know, I know. I can pass Max. (with my fingers), and I know there's people with even quicker reaction speed than myself who can probably easily do it on their feet. I just think that 600 bpm is a little ridiculous. It reminds me of some of the crappy DWI's I've downloaded where the creator sticks in random shifts to double the bpm for no reason other than it being "hardcore". It's really not necessary!

Emacee

Smash Ace
The thing is quite heavy for me at least. 3'x3'x1" of metal and plastic makes for a cumbersome object to lift. It responds very well so your game shouldn't be disrupted.

Emacee

Smash Ace
It's usually easier to maintian if you keep it local. The reason why Maine has such a tightly woven community is because of the lack of machines and that everyone frequents them and sees each other very often.

E

ExMachina

Woo, finally passed most of the 8 footers! I know that's nothing to guys like Arrow, but I've just been getting into the game more, now that we have a DDR club at school. It's pretty cool, actually; 4 or 5 PS2s with DDRMax2 and 2 Level Six pads each...

So, I'm considering getting new pads before trying those crazy catas... Should I just get better soft pads or go straight to high-end metal ones?

The L6 pads, from my experience with them so far, are comfy and amazingly responsive, but they slip around a little too much for my liking. Tape isn't really an option for me because my parents don't want me ruining the basement floor...

I figure it my parents are willing to deal with that $600 price tag for 2 CF pads, I might as well make the investment... whatcha think? Maybe I can buy a doubles bar while I'm at it... :chuckle:

Emacee

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Emacee
Most should come with stickers that allow it to stick to the floor. But it is much mroe worth it to modify your softpad. Instructions on how to here.
Exmachina, you should first buy a softpad and modify it with the directions in that link. If you're parents can afford two CF pads then you are certainly a fortunat person. I just happened to have a working brother with an interest in arcade style pads.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
I love how everyone still thinks I'm the best DDR player on this forum :D Who am I to argue?

If money is not an issue, go with the metal pads. But otherwise, the soft ones should be fine, like Emacee said.

Emacee

Smash Ace
We'd have to play each other in some random scenario (given the distance between us) before that decision is made.

I've been trying to beat Happy Hardcore oni lately and I can full combo all the songs up to Sweet Sweet Love Magic but I am to tired from Waka Laka to pay attention to the simplest of steps. Maybe the third time will get me there.

Aurafox

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraPuffs
3DS FC
2466-1511-0624
I play DDR, and I'm fairly good at it.. Not nearly a master, but I'm good. One thing I found that's really fun, yet very hard to do, is to wear costumes while trying to dance. I know some furry friends of mine who can wear a full fursuit, and do flips, still finishing the song perfectly. (it's crazy) I, myself, only have a floofy tail and a pair of feetpaws. It's still quite a challenge, even without the fursuit's head on. I need a -lot- more practice. *sigh*

Radio

Smash Rookie
If you can AA Cartoon Heroes by more than a few DP, then you are better than me. I play in Nike running shoes, though they're better suited to break dancing from what I've researched.

You don't need a metal pad to pass 9-footers (I've AA'd Max 300 even). A board-mounted soft pad will work just fine if you mount it properly and use good materials. The total cost is around $60 if you shop around. I also find a modified soft pad much more responsive than a metal pad; even Cobalt Fluxes.

Emacee

Smash Ace
It probably isn't the best of ideas to play DDR in a large fur suit. I wouldn't because that just isn't my thing. You could become overheated and exhausted from repetitive play if you all play on Heavy difficulty and do catas over and over again. You should probably focus on practicing not with rediculous animal feet on but with running shoes or something that holds decent traction against the panels so you can get good scores.

EDIT: Aw man, Radio (my brother) has signed up now. Me and Arrow are no longer the DDR Masters of smashboards.

Aurafox

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraPuffs
3DS FC
2466-1511-0624
I'm sure it would mess you up pretty fast, but when you practice with it enough, you can probably sum up some sort of resistant to the heat. That's how you use fursuits in the first place. First time you really fursuit, you'll overheat like a fiend, but overtime, you'll hardly notice it's there. I'm guessing the same goes for dancing in fursuit too, but you should probably just dance one difficult high-speed song in a full body suit. As for the only parts I own still, feetpaws, handpaws, and megafloofy tail, it won't wear you out at all from massive overheat. Also, you can attract quite a crowd going nuts on a hard song with your tail bouncing around. People think it's cute! =D Wheeeee!

Emacee

Smash Ace
Our second cobalt flux pad arrived. I got to emulate some arcade doubles play with shoes on for a change. The second one came with a doubles bar to prevent sliding but the grip patches that stick to the underside make them very immobile on carpeting. I tried with all my strength to move it and nothing but my exhaustion was the result.

Emacee

Smash Ace
AS long as you have a way of securing the homepads to the floor so there is no slippage.

By the way, I have an account on NNR which is an online ranking site for DDR. My Profile name is, "Yong."

I still play this game and am entering a tournament at the local Mall. My most recent accomplishment is getting 15 greats on Stoic Heavy.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I play although I'm not to good...

I started maybe a year ago but haven't gotten too into it. I can A Burning Heat (barely) but I'm happy with that. I do make step files though or at least I'm doing a few now.

I'm much more of a step mania person I'm better at those faster high combo (for hands only) songs.

Kaotical

Smash Ace
I only started playing DDR about....estimate...no more than 4 months ago and I'm all into Heavy mode. I'd have to say the hardest thing I completed was Sakura on Heavy. We have DDR:Max2 Extreme (I think that's what it's called) and I'm one of the best in my arcade. Of course, I come from a small WV town. Anyways, I've gotten AA on some Challenge songs (can't remember all of them), can nearly complete Max Unlimited, Paranoia Survivor, and haven't tried Max300 or Paranoia Survivor Max. I've never seen MAX. and I have completed one red song: Trip Machine Survivor. I can't help but play Holic at least once when I get in the arcade. I put it up on 3x speed, boost, hidden, dark and get A's. For some reason, a crowd comes when Witch Doctor is played and the best I got on that was an A, and So Deep which I put on shuffle and sometimes 1.5x speed.

Still, I traveled up to Hagerstown, MD not too long ago (30mins away), and there was a guy there who got AA on The Legend of Max. The same guy then did Max Unlimited on doubles and got a AA. I just shook my head and walked away. It was insane. I heard from a friend later that another guy got a AAA on The Legend of Max. Too insane.

Hoefler

BRoomer
*DDR Dictionary*

I thought it would be nice instead of putting these into the DDR thread to just make it's own topic.

Sorry if this was wrong cashed..

DDR Dictionary

1/4 step Placed on the beat of the song. Most basic songs are composed entirely of quarter notes. Shown in the steps page on this site in red.

1/8 step Placed exactly halfway between the beats of the song. Shown in the steps page on this site in blue.

1/16 step Placed exactly halfway between 1/8 steps. Dynamite Rave Single Maniac has several patterns which includes sixteenth steps. Shown in the steps page on this site in purple.

1/32 step Placed exactly halfway between 1/16 steps. New to DDRMAX2 and beyond. First featured in Tsugaru Heavy.

1.5x/2x/3x/5x/8x Speed modifiers that speed up the arrows to n-times their normal speed. Many players find songs easier to sight-read this way -- especially songs with very dense arrow patterns (bag, Orion.78).

Absolute March Marching from left to right when there is a measure of 1/4th left and right arrows. Innovated by DCB at the SVGL2 tournament in 2002.

Air Number of jumps in a song

Another Another name for Trick used in some versions of DDR

Balut Filipino delicacy. Similar to an aborted duck fetus boiled in the shell.

Bar Hugger One who refuses to let go of the bar and adamantly puts all their weight on the bar behind them throughout the whole song.

Bar ****** An unflattering term for bar-hugging.

Basic Easiest mode of steps on most versions of DDR. Difficulty is generally between 1 and 5 feet

Battle A mode of playing two players. Both players' arrows begin overlapped in the center at the bottom of the screen and branch outwards to the appropriate player's side. Introduced in 4th mix.

Beginner Easiest level of all. All songs are 1 foot. Only found on DDR USA, Dancing Stage EuroMIX, and DDR Extreme.

Bemani Konami's collection of music games

Beatmania Konami's original music game. Featuring 5 keys and a turntable where you hit keys in time to the music. Superceeded by IIDX.

Black Flag Passing a song with All Perfects, and One Single Great.

Bong Thomas Bar flare, where the person lifts his/her body to go around the bar. Bong - bar (in Korean), Thomas - name of the gymnast who originated the move. (Thanks to Jason Ho for the definition.)

Boo The rating you get on a step when you hit the arrow pretty off-beat

Boost Same as Special on Solo2k, but featured on DDR Max. The arrows continually speed up as they get closer to the top.

Brake A modifier only available in the Trick Oni course in DDR Extreme, where the arrows slow down dramatically as theyreach the top of the screen.

Butterfly Turn The original U R D L series of steps featured in Butterfly on which many players first turned.

Cata see Catastrophic

Catastrophic The most difficult song ranking given to songs appearing on mixes prior to DDR MAX (6th mix). 9 footers.

Caution Drop Move used typically in PIU (but can be applied to DDR) where the player steps on two diagonals, then the center, then hits the other two diagonals with his/her hands

Chaos Irregularity of steps

Couple A mode of playing for two players where the steps complement each other.

Combo Number that represents your most recent sequence of consecutive perfects and greats.

Dance Dance Revolution One of the games in Konami's Bemani series. Involves stepping on arrows in rhythm

Dance With Intensity One of many unofficial computer DDR simulators

Dark mode Mode of playing where stationary arrows at top do not appear. Introduced in DDR Max2 (7th mix).

DDR Abbreviation for Dance Dance Revolution

Difficult DDR USA's equivalent of trick. Also on Dancing Stage EuroMIX.

DWI see Dance With Intensity

Double A mode where the DDRer plays on both sides at once

Edit Certain versions of DDR allow the player to insert a memory card and play steps that he created on a playstation.

Expert DDR USA's equivalent of maniac. Also on Dancing Stage EuroMIX.

Flat Mode where arrows are all the same color, regardless of beat. See Vivid

Freestyle A way of playing DDR where the object is to look good and perform for an audience

Freeze Number of freeze steps; also refers to the step introduced in DDR Max that requires the player to hold an arrow for some defined time

Fuwa Fuwa A modifier only available in the Trick Oni course in DDR Extreme, where the arrows move up and down in an accordion-like fashion before hitting the top of the screen.

Gallop Any isolated pair of successive 16th notes. Best exemplified in In the Navy SSR, or Cowgirl Maniac.

Gauge Bar that represents how well you are hitting the steps. When the bar reaches the bottom, your game is over

Good The rating you get on a step when you hit the arrow more than slightly off-beat

Good Attack A method of playing where the object is to get the most Goods possible

Great The rating you get on a step when you hit the arrow slightly before or after the beat. Keeps your combo going.

Great Attack A method of playing where the object is to get the most Greats possible

Groove Radar Introduced in DDR Max. Graphical representation of the song difficulty replacing the old 1-9 foot rating system. Measures five attributes: Voltage, Stream, Chaos, Freeze, Air

Hand Plant Using your hand to hit a panel

Hand Slap See Hand Plant

Heavy Equivalent to Maniac difficulty, but used on DDR MAX/6th mix

Hidden Mode of playing where arrows disappear before reaching the top of the screen.

Hi Guys! What began as an inside joke at SVGL2. Phrase coined by the Killer Pals as a universal greeting.

IIDX Popular Bemani title where you have 7-keys and a turntable. Many songs in DDR are also in IIDX. A continuation of the Beatmania franchise.

Impromptu Form of freestyle in which the player makes up his routine on the spot without prior preparation.

Joint Premium A setting on the arcade machine that arcade operators can set that allows both pads to be used for one credit. Therefore, a game of Versus or Doubles costs the same as a single game.

Knee Drop Using your knee to hit a panel

Konami Company that invented DDR

Koshiru Shuffle Move in Boom Boom Dollar Maniac where one hand is on the opposite pad, body is horizontal.

Left A mode of playing where the steps are rotated 90 degrees to the left.

Left Foot Only A style of playing where the player only uses his left foot to hit all the steps.

Light Equivalent to the Basic difficulty in DDRMAX/Extreme

Little Code that removes all steps except for quarter steps from a song. Often used to allow a less skilled player to play with a more advanced player on mixes that don't allow players to choose different difficulties.

LFO Abbreviation for Left Foot Only

Maniac Most difficult mode of steps on most versions of DDR. Difficulty is generally between 6 and 9 feet.

Maniac2 Term created and used to denote the new maniac steps on 4th mix plus for old songs. Usually significantly harder than the old maniac steps. See Butterfly Upswing Mix.

Maniac-S Term on 4th mix plus and 5th mix machines to denote the old maniac single steps. On these machines, Maniac then refers to the new steps.

Maniac-D Term on 4th mix plus and 5th mix machines to denote the old maniac double steps.

Marvelous Term used in non-stop and Oni courses in DDR Extreme to denote perfect timing for a step. This accuracy is higher than "Perfect"

Matrix Walk Freestyle move where the performer puts one hand on the bar and walks on the screen. Most people frown on this, as it is known to damage machines

Mirror Mode of playing where arrows are rotated 180 degrees.

Miss The rating you get on a step when you don't hit the arrow anytime close to the beat

Newbie Person who is a beginner on DDR

N.G. Stands for 'No Good.' Rating given when you miss a freeze.

OK Rating given when you hold a freeze successfully.

Oni Mode Also known as Challenging Mode. A variation of Nonstop in which the player gets 4 lives, losing one life for each Good, Boo, Miss, or NG. Player regains between zero and three lives between each song.

Perfect The rating you get on a step when you hit the arrow exactly on the beat

Perfect Attack A method of judging accuracy among players. The predominant method used for tournaments in the United States. Score is based on percentage of perfect steps out of total steps, without regard to combo's.

PIU Abbreviation for Pump It Up. A Korean dancing game franchise similar to DDR.

RFO Abbreviation for Right Foot Only
Reverse When the arrows scroll from top to bottom instead of the usual bottom to top.

Reverse Boost See 'brake'.

Right A mode of playing where the steps are rotated 90 degrees to the right.

Right Foot Only A style of playing where the player only uses his right foot to hit all the steps.

Roulette Mode where random song is chosen for your play

Routine A predefined set of moves a performer uses for a given set of steps on a particular song

S4R 1. Sudden Shuffle on SSR mode.
2. Stealth Shuffle on SSR mode. In this mode, the player must play with another person who plays the steps without modification. The S4R player figures out which shuffle mode has been chosen, and must figure out which steps to hit.

Save Rating given in Unison mode when one person misses their arrow, but their partner hits it.

Score Attack A method of judging accuracy. Points are allotted differently among versions of DDR. Highest score wins.

Shuffle Mode of playing where arrows are shuffled in one of eight possible patterns.

Sight Read Playing a song without having seen/played/heard the song or the steps beforehand

Sink Arrows scroll from top down instead of bottom up.

Slide Using one foot to press one panel then another without lifting it off the stage, but by dragging it across the panels instead

Solo 6-panel version of DDR with the inclusion of upper-left and upper-right diagonal arrows. Also used as a setting in DDRMAX/Extreme which adds more colorful arrows to make sight-reading easier.

Special Arrows accelerate on their way up the screen. Featured only on Solo 2k.

Speed modifiers See "1.5x/2x/3x/5x/8x".

Spin Pivoting on a single foot 360 degrees.

SSR Abbreviation for Step Step Revolution

Standard DDR USA's equivalent of basic. Also on Dancing Stage EuroMIX. Standard is DDRMAX/Extreme's equiavent of Trick.

Stealth Mode of playing where arrows don't appear until you've missed them already.

Step Step Revolution Another name for Maniac mode on certain versions of DDR

Stream Overall density of steps
Sudden Mode of playing where arrows appear just before they reach the top.

Trick Middle mode of steps on most versions of DDR. Difficulty is generally between 4 and 7 feet.

Triplets Elusive step whose existence was in doubt for some time. These steps break a single beat into 3 equal steps, or sometimes breaks two quarter beats into 3 steps. Only a few songs feature these special steps. A few single maniac songs include Gentle Stress, Afronova, Luv 2 Me. Shown in the steps page in green.

Turn Any series of steps on which a player rotates his body 360 degrees

UMA stands for Unidentified Mysterious Animal - said by the announcer in DDR MAX; also a character genre in 3rd Mix home version

Unison Both players share one group of arrows in the center of the screen; the color of the arrows determine which player it belongs to.

Versus Same as single player steps, but for two players.
Vivid Mode of playing where arrows are colored according to their beat timing. All quarter notes are in one color, eighth notes in another color, etc. See Flat

Voltage Peak density of steps

Copyright © 2003 DDR Freak, LLC - All rights reserved

Afrotaki

Gay skies today.
BRoomer
Ctrl + V

Fearless, sensations that
You thought was dead

I thought I'd follow your lead and share whatever I happened to have set up for a quick pasting.

What'd you have stored? I wonder...

Emacee

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Kaotical
I only started playing DDR about....estimate...no more than 4 months ago and I'm all into Heavy mode. I'd have to say the hardest thing I completed was Sakura on Heavy. We have DDR:Max2 Extreme (I think that's what it's called) and I'm one of the best in my arcade. Of course, I come from a small WV town. Anyways, I've gotten AA on some Challenge songs (can't remember all of them), can nearly complete Max Unlimited, Paranoia Survivor, and haven't tried Max300 or Paranoia Survivor Max. I've never seen MAX. and I have completed one red song: Trip Machine Survivor. I can't help but play Holic at least once when I get in the arcade. I put it up on 3x speed, boost, hidden, dark and get A's. For some reason, a crowd comes when Witch Doctor is played and the best I got on that was an A, and So Deep which I put on shuffle and sometimes 1.5x speed.

Still, I traveled up to Hagerstown, MD not too long ago (30mins away), and there was a guy there who got AA on The Legend of Max. The same guy then did Max Unlimited on doubles and got a AA. I just shook my head and walked away. It was insane. I heard from a friend later that another guy got a AAA on The Legend of Max. Too insane.
The machine you talking about is a DDR Extreme. DDRMAX2 is the release before DDR Extreme. So far there are three people with proof that they have AAA'd The Legend of MAX: Take(japan), Onir(colombia), and JSB (socal, USA).

Originally posted by DrumStickz
All I can say about DDR is that I LOVE Healing Vision Angelic on heavy. Kick A**!!

I always get AAA on that one. The rest I get ABA or BBA or something.
I don't know what you are talking about with this ABA and BBA stuff.

MasterFoot

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what you are talking about with this ABA and BBA stuff.
*cough* fraud? *cough*

Yes i havent replied to this in a while, as far as i know arrow is still the ddr guro of the site. but im still the best as far as i know. my current favorites are Matsuri Japan on right and afronova on left, the main reason for afronova is because of the turns that you do in the begining.

Emacee

Smash Ace
Originally posted by MasterFoot
*cough* fraud? *cough*

Yes i havent replied to this in a while, as far as i know arrow is still the ddr guro of the site. but im still the best as far as i know. my current favorites are Matsuri Japan on right and afronova on left, the main reason for afronova is because of the turns that you do in the begining.
I started playing DDR very late into the scene (december 2002) so whatever meaning that term the terms ABA and BBA had is unknown to me.

As for afronova on left, you can simply play it normally by facing (YOU GUESSED IT) left
while doing them.

smashattack

Smash Journeyman
60 AA's for me and counting.

Having trouble with The Legend of Max. I've done it twice, but now the runs at the end are kicking my rear end.

Emacee

Smash Ace
Originally posted by smashattack
60 AA's for me and counting.

Having trouble with The Legend of Max. I've done it twice, but now the runs at the end are kicking my rear end.
I have 142 recorded AAs on ddrextreme single player. Still no heavy AAAs yet.

I too had a lot of problems with The Legend MAX. It took me a long time to A it, which I finally did a few weeks ago. My problem area in that song is the RDULLUDR run right before the first two freezes.

BladeMarth

Smash Ace
HI, i like to play DDR at the arcades, but im sick of wasting money on it!

I wanna buy it on ps2, but im not sure if its available in Australia/Queensland.
One of my frineds has it, and hes preety good, although he laughs at me when i say im good at boom boom dollar.:crazy:

My fave saong are boom boom dollar, boys, and hero

BeatofAngel

Smash Apprentice
I've started DDR about half a year ago...I've only been playing about 4-10 times a month. I really havent done to much in terms of PAing yet tho. Still trying to pass more 9-10 footers. My next goal is to pass Max 300, still fail right after the freeze...

I don't really like playing the home versions...if you get soft pads, they slide around and break after awhile. Metal pads are pretty expensive as well and still can break. Plus the home version are easier the arcade.

LOM is hard...>_<

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't get hardcore into DDR until the past 2 months...

I've been into DDR for about 4 years now (my first DDR game was actually 2nd Mix for Dreamcast, back when they still made pads for the DC... my last DC pad broke about 2 years ago... oh well, c'est la vie). Anyhoo, the versions I own now are DDR MAX, DDR MAX 2 and DDR Disney Mix, (and I guess if I ever get around to it I wanna try to find a copy of 2nd Mix and Konamix). Can't wait till DDR Extreme comes out later this year

Now I know you read those stories about how "so-and-so" lost "so-many-pound" playing DDR everyday. Heh, I guess they must be true: the reason I got hardcore into DDR these past 2 months was I wanted to loose weight before heading back to college... and in 8 weeks I lost 31 pounds! Thank goodness for Workout Mode!! Seriously! When I began this summer my "song average" was about 14 calories a song, (basically only Basic 3 - 6 footers, or Standard 4 - 5 footers, and Extreme was just beyond me), but now my song average is 29 calories as song (Standard 7 - 9, Extreme 6 - 9... "Basic" just doesn't cut the fat anymore ;)!). I can basically "A" or "B" any song on Standard and pass almost every song on Extreme. My fav tracks are (in no order) Max 300, Dynamyte Rave, Groove (4 U), BreAkdown, Dive, and last but not least Supercalifragilisticexpialladocious

smashattack

Smash Journeyman
As far as losing weight, it just depends on the person. I've played for almost two years now, and I play as often as possible (2-4 times a week). Usually when I play I go for the really fast, energetic stuff (Healing Vision ~Angelic Mix~, Exotic Ethnic, Can't Stop Fallin' in Love SM, Max 300, The Legend of Max, Paranoia Survivor, etc.). And since I've started, I have lost 0 pounds. Maybe gained 10 over the past two years.

So yeah, that blows.

Speaking of The Legend of Max, I passed it for the third time last night. I can PA that sucker like mad up until the freezes. After them is a completely different story, and I almost always fail during that mad death run. Grrr.

BeatofAngel

Smash Apprentice
Even though you might not be losing weight. You might be losing the weight from fat and gaining it in muscle...(hope that made sense tho -_-) Muscle weight is heavier than fat so you can't totally judge everything from weightloss.

I just play to have some fun and as a side, exercise. It definite helps my stamina...I think my long distance runs are improving now because of it...either that or it was because I joined track...meh maybe both I don't know...:bee:

Emacee

Smash Ace
Originally posted by smashattack
As far as losing weight, it just depends on the person. I've played for almost two years now, and I play as often as possible (2-4 times a week). Usually when I play I go for the really fast, energetic stuff (Healing Vision ~Angelic Mix~, Exotic Ethnic, Can't Stop Fallin' in Love SM, Max 300, The Legend of Max, Paranoia Survivor, etc.). And since I've started, I have lost 0 pounds. Maybe gained 10 over the past two years.

So yeah, that blows.
Did you alter your diet at all? Your food intake is a big part of losing weight through exercise.

As for recent accomplishments for myself, I full combo/AA'd So Deep heavy on my first try of going for PA with 48 greats, then I got 29 greats on Leading Cyber, and 18 greats on DXY!

I keep blackflagging (getting one great on a song) www.blonde girl standard. ):

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you REALLY wanna be serious about DDR and weight loss...

Did you alter your diet at all? Your food intake is a big part of losing weight through exercise.
heh, you got me. Yeah cutting back and eating healthy helped a lot too. I'm doing the "Calorie Counting" diet (you have to be crazy to go on an Atkins diet... sure Atkins diet requires no exercise and you loose A LOT of weight, but it's friggin' brutal, trust me. Atkins = No chips, fries, pretzels, breads, cakes, cookies, cereals, or pastas! And after all that VERY little non-carb sugars like juices, sodas, and candy! IMO I'd rather get off my fat arse than do the Atkin's diet). Anyhoo, with the "Calorie Counting Diet" when I started I had to cut my daily calorie intake from like 2400 calories a day to 1200 - 1400 calories a day (becuase I had really low stamana and could only last a no more than 350 calorie burning DDR sessions... I'll discuss this in detail in a bit). But recently I'm averaging 1600 - 1800 calories a day food diet (and burning +600 caloires daily, maxing out at about 1000 calorie workouts).

On the Calorie Counting diet you need to know your Basal Metobolic Rate (BMR = how many calories you burn on an average day) then depending on how much weight you want to loose you start slashing out calories. For example if you wanna loose 10lbs in one month (and 1lb = 3500 calories) that's 35,000 calories to cut from one month (or about 1167 calories a day). So then you adjust your calorie slashing depending on your BMR. So if you BMR is 2400 calories a day what you can do is only eat 1600 calories a day (thus cutting 800 calories from your food diet) and then work out 400 calories daily (for example jogging for 30 mins a day, or in my case, about 14 DDR songs at 30 calories a song). So by slashing 800 calories a day from your food diet and then working out/burning an additional 400 calories a day you "slash" 1200 calories daily from your BMR (and 1200 calories a day x 30 days in 1 month = 10.3 lbs lost in one month)!

But the whole metabolism thing is one big math/science equasion becasuse, like BeatofAngel said, once you begin to gain muscle mass you have to increse your calorie intake to keep your muscle mass. Your body burns calories to keep you going (like how a car burns gas). Your body get's its calories from 3 main sources: (1) Food calories, (2) Fat calories, and (3) Muscle calories. When you eat Food you body will immediatly burn the calories from the Food that you eat (and if you over eat it stores those extra calories as Fat). So when you begin to cut the Food calories down the next source your body looks for is Fat calories (and the weight loss begins)! However once your body has burned up all of it's Food calories and Fat calories and yet it still needs energy to run it will then begin to burn your Muscle calories (and you begin to loose your muscles :(). So big buit musclemen/women who have little or no Fat in them, once they've burned up all their Food calories their body will immedatly begin to burn their Muscles away (and that's why you hear about how big musclemen/women eat a lot of calories daily... becuase their only energy source is from the Food they eat, otherwise they will begin to loose Muscle mass/calories, and if they have a BMR of, say, 2600 calories and then they work out an additional 1200 calories they need to eat 3800 Food Calories a day just to keep themselves heathly)!!

Also as BeatofAngel mentioned, if anything my stamina doubled since I've been doing DDR (almost daily) for the past 2 months. When I began I just did no more than maybe a level 7 Basic/level 5 Standard (and ALL Expert level songs were just beyond me). The main thing that limited me wasn't the lack of skill to complete higher level songs but it was the lack of stamina to complete the songs. When I started I couldn't even finish Paranoia or Rhythm Police on Basic. I'd run outta breath before I was halfway done with the song! Now I can do both on Heavy... one right after the other!! My stamina has really improved. I'm actually thinking about doing DDR with weights. I saw someone else here who posted eairler (dang can't remember right now exactly who >.<; ), who actually tried DDR with weights, I bet it really boosts your Stamina (and speed)when you preform with the weights off afterwards!

But if you're serious about weight loss and DDR you can't just play 6 songs in a day and throw in the towel. A good 7, 8 Standard or 6 - 8 Heavy song will burn about 25 - 30 calories. Now I'll do about 750 calories a day on DDR. Do the math, that's 24 - 30 songs (so unless you have mucho dienero to spend at the arcade you NEED the home version for the "DDR Exercise Program")... and if each song lasts about 2 - 3 mins then you're looking at a 50 min - 90 min long workout daily. Yes, I play DDR for upwards of 1 hour and a half strait daily (usually the workout session time rounds off to alllllmost 2 hours counting 5 min water breaks/breathers every 10 or so songs). Why do you think they call it "Workout" mode? Yeah, a few rounds of DDR are fun to play in the arcade, but if you're REALLY serious about DDR and loosing weight you really need to comit yourslef to it!

smashattack

Smash Journeyman

As for recent accomplishments for myself, I full combo/AA'd So Deep heavy on my first try of going for PA with 48 greats, then I got 29 greats on Leading Cyber, and 18 greats on DXY!

I keep blackflagging (getting one great on a song) www.blonde girl standard. ):
Sheesh! AA So Deep? Nice. I've tried to full-combo it, and I've come close, but not quite yet. I just don't like Leading Cyber (bleah, too erratic).

My best PA on anything would be Holic, Kind Lady, and Freckles (all Heavy, 7 Greats, 6 Greats, and 7 Greats, respectively).

And no, I haven't changed my diet at all. That's a very good point.

Emacee

Smash Ace
The trick to So Deep and Leading Cyber was 2x and holding onto the bar. That and playing the songs before and seeing what the step patterns were like.

As for my best PAs like single digit greats and stuff like that, the closest I've gotten to a heavy AAA is 2 greats on 1998. I have 19 sdgs with 18 on extreme and 1 on 5th mix.

This url shows my scores ordered by missing D.P. for those who are curious.

http://nnr.ca/DDR/scores_by_user_songs.php?Sort=MissingDP&Mix=DDREX&Type=1&UserID=425
The number in parenthesis shows how many greats I theoretically had.

Top Bottom