• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas Area Brawl Tournament April 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Blockbuster is interested in hosting tournaments. If this event goes well it's likely that they will continue to host tournaments on even larger scales.

When: April 27th @ 1 p.m.
Where: 2701 Cross Timbers Road #254
Flower Mound, TX

Prizes:
1st Place: Video Game of Your Choice + $50 Gift Card + 2 Movie Rentals or 1 game Rental
2nd Place: Video Game of Your Choice
+ 2 Movie Rentals or 1 game Rental
3rd Place: Video Game of Your Choice
4th Place: 2 Movie Rentals or 1 game Rental

How To Enter: 2 different ways (Yes I know this is complicated and no unfortunately I can't change it for this event)

1. Go to Blockbuster at the address above (i.e. where the event is being held)
and preorder any upcoming game with a $5 deposit. Yes this can be done the day of the tournament.

2. Pre-order a game from any blockbuster. Then e-mail bbgaming@live.com saying you would like to enter. Bring the receipt from your pre-order to the tournament and you will be allowed entry.

I know the whole entry process is a little... weird but keep this in mind. April 27th is the day Mario Kart Wii comes out. So if you just pre-order it at any blockbuster, e-mail the given address above, you can pick it up at this blockbuster and get essentially free entry to a brawl tournament. It's win-win :)

Rules:
3 stock
7 minutes
No items
Double elimination brackets
Best of 3 matches

No stage may be played twice in the same set.

Advanced Slob Picks: The first stage is chosen at random. In the second match the loser chooses the stage. The loser announces their stage choice (either from the list of random or counterpick stages) to the other player, who is then allowed to change his/her character. After the winner’s character is chosen, the loser may change their character. Then the match is played.

If a match runs out of time, sudden death is NOT played. The player with the most stock remaining is declared the winner. If both players have the same stock, the player with the lower damage percentage is declared the winner. If both players are tied in stock and percent, sudden death will then be played out to declare the winner.

Random Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island
Battleship Halberd
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick Stages:
Lylat Cruise
Luigi’s Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Castle Siege
Distant Planet
Norfair
Pictochat
Brinstar (Melee)
Green Greens (Melee)
Onett (Melee)
Corneria (Melee)
Rainbow Ride (Melee)
Skyworld
Shadow Moses Island
Bridge of Eldin
Green Hill Zone
Mario Circuit
Electroplankton
Pokemon Stadium 2

Banned Stages:
Donkey Kong 75m
Flat Zone 2
Mario Bros.
New Pork City
WarioWare
Big Blue (Melee)
Hyrule Temple (Melee)
Mushroomy Kingdom
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Drive
Rumble Falls
Yoshi’s Island (Melee)
Great Sea
Jungle Japes
The Summit

I'm pretty sure this is all of the stages, if I missed something let me know.

One very important thing about this tournament is going to be feedback. Don't like the entry method? Be sure to let the people running the tournament know. Don't like the stages? Be sure to let me know (preferably after the tournament so you actually have some hard evidence). Unfortunately, I most likely won't be in attendance.

If anyone has any questions, either PM me or just ask them in this topic and I'll try to get them answered ASAP.

Also I'll go ahead and sticky this, as I'd like to see it be as big as possible, given the potential for bigger and better future tournaments (hopefully with a better entry method)

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Half of the prizes are rentals. Which would involve driving BACK to Flower Mound to turn them in. Great!

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Another quick note: If you can bring a Wii (with everything unlocked in Brawl of course) that would help tremendously. There will be lots of good (i.e. old) TV's there already so you don't have to worry about lag.

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
At least Blockbuster knows how to hold a tournament (unlike GameStop.) Shame the Lubbock crowd won't be in town. And why can't they do a $10 entry fee like anyone else?

jsgross

Smash Rookie
And why can't they do a $10 entry fee like anyone else?
We realize that the preorder thing is different and a bit of a hassle. The goal of this tournament is to get Blockbuster to see the value in holding tournaments. The guy I'm working with is trying to get them to hold weekly tournaments in different stores across Dallas/Ft Worth which will hopefully expand to many major cities across the U.S. He felt by using the tournament to increase preorder numbers, it would show a visible impact to the decision makers at Blockbuster. At the same time, he sees it as being a free tournament if you preorder a game you are planning to buy anyway. He told me tonight that this preorder thing is a one time deal. Future tournaments will be done differently.

The good news is that the tournament has generated a lot of interest at Blockbuster. I am told that as long as our numbers are good (comparable to MGC) that it is very likely that they will continue to run tournaments.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I don't want to buy a game though...am I allowed to preorder a game, and then cancel it after the tournament?

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to buy a game though...am I allowed to preorder a game, and then cancel it after the tournament?

dude you could preorder Mario kart then win the tourny (if im not there) and then take mario kart as your free game.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
You make a solid point, Marcus. I was thinking of going just to support the tournament scene, but I guess I won't.

But you really don't need to tell me I won't win at a game I don't play much.

jsgross

Smash Rookie
I asked them about this today. The manager said that any preorders used to enter the tournament would not be refundable.

He further told me that canceled preorders are considered very bad by Blockbuster. If we end up getting a lot of preorders that aren't picked up from the tournament that they will probably not continue running tournaments. So, if you are planning on preordering something and not buying it please don't.

I have told them since day one that I didn't like using preorders as an entry method. I think I have been able to show them that this has not been popular and is hurting the numbers. He has told me that this is a one time thing and future tournaments would have a different method of entry (we are hoping that Blockbuster will see the value in holding tournaments and make them free). If you have a game that you are planning to buy in the next six months, please preorder and come support this tournament. You can preorder at any Blockbuster.

We will probably need a few wiis for the tournament that have everything unlocked. If you bring a wii, we can give you free entry. If you want to do that, please pm me and when I know how many we need, I will get back to everyone.

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
Yo, this is Vat- Zero. Less than 3 days before the big Goop tourney

"Goop's AZ Brawl Tourney"

When:
- On Saturday April 5th

Where:
- 4533 S. Mill Ave. Tempe, AZ 85282

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Yo, this is bluezaft. Less than 3 hours until I make myself a sandwich.

Bluezaft Makes Himself A Sandwich

Call or PM me for further information, such as whether it will be ham or turkey, or what kind of cheese.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Scav sez:

Vat zero, if I see you advertising tournaments by spamming other threads, you will get 2 warning points per instance. Same for everyone else.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I'll give you my spare for $250. If you decide by tonight, otherwise it gets sold on ebay.

jsgross

Smash Rookie
If anyone needs a Wii, the Blockbuster where the tournament is being held has one right now. It is bundled with an extra Wiimote, Nunchuk and 1 game. Their phone number is 972-539-8262

*knives*

Smash Apprentice
Its funny cause dallas has more tournies then most other places. And I live fairly close to dallas. But yet I always skip dallas tournaments and end up in San Antonio or Houston.

I guess i just like it there more....all try to make it to this one.

jsgross

Smash Rookie
Hopefully you'll be able to make this one. The numbers are good right now. My contact at Blockbuster is telling me he thinks the chance of them doing more tournaments are looking good. I'd like to get as many people as we can to help ensure that happens. My understanding is that if they do more tournaments, they will be at different Blockbusters around D/FW so there could be some in Ft Worth.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Why would anyone go to this? You commit yourself to buying a game for the entry and you don't even get any cash in return

bluezaft

The True Zaft
You go so that more tournaments will be held, and with more normal entry fees. That's why I'm going. I'm not going to enter because I don't want a game, but I'm going to show up (if Zac gives me a ride, har).

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Chris, we want more melee tournaments.

Fight the power.

If people go and enter with this entry, there's no incentive for them to change their set up.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Ruining Brawl tournaments does not magically produce Melee tournaments.

If you really want to a Melee tournament then host one.

jsgross

Smash Rookie
The problem with boycotting the tournament because the method of entry sucks is that Blockbuster will conclude that tournaments are not worth doing and not hold any more.

I have told them since day 1 that the way they are doing the entry is wrong. I make it a point of discussion every time we talk and let them know that about postings on boards and e-mails I receive. A lot of players have told me that they are willing to do this one time to support the tournament. I have been assured by the people I talk to at Blockbuster that they understand this and will not use this method of entry again. From what I'm being told, as long as the numbers are good, future tournaments will probably be free.

Blockbuster was one of the first companies to run a nation tournament in the early 90s. If they decide to start supporting competitive gaming again, it would be a very positive thing for gaming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esports

I still need Wiis with everything unlocked. We have TVs (the same ones used at MGC Finals). Anyone who can bring a Wii will get free entry to the tournament..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom