• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair to a DB

The-Doc

Smash Cadet
Why is it so much harder to Dair an opponent into the stage and then use Down B to rest on them than in SSB64?
In SSB64, it's really easy to do that, but in SSBM it's less probable that you will succeed.
I don't know maybe I just need more practice.

RPK

Smash Lord
Dair to rest sucks :3 Dont use it =D because they can DI away from you and if you rest you will be wide open =O Thats why I say Utilt after because then it makes it much more probable that you will pull off a rest on them. Btw....I still need to learn how to L-cancel Dair Dx the timing still gets to me even to this day o.o

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
it works in ssb not because there is no di (there is) but because the knockback in ssb is unusually strong and so it pounds them into the ground and doesnt let them recover quick enough. Also when it hits them, it forces their body into a near horizontal position with his head in your body for simple rests.
as suggested, in ssbm, its better to do uptilt or upair.

tricky989

Smash Rookie
Yeah this was the biggest surprise for me when I started playing SSBM for the first time after having played the original since its release(Has it really been 8 years!?). The first time I tried it on melee I was met by a nice, friendly, ganon punch(or whatever its called, grunt punch if you will, considering falcon says falcon punch). Its like theres a lag between you hitting the ground and doing the sleep that your opponent can practically waltz out of. Its funny, I actually used a lot of the current sleep combos in the original one, but they werent as effective. Like I could do the up throw to sleep in the original, but only if they had low damage, defeating the purpose altogether(i did it just to annoy people). Now, after throws have been nerfed, your opponent doesnt go 300ft in the air off your up throw and its possible at higher percentages. DI has messed up a lot of my former game plans, like I used to allows park myself where I thought pikachu would land after doing his double b jump and do the sing move, then sleep him. Funniest thing ever, pikachu players hated me after that. Anyways back on topic, despite removing the "I win" combo, they seem to have made sleep more powerful, like I kill people at lower percentages which is good for our pink, balloon shaped friend.

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
sleep is indeed more powerful, and a hell lot better in this one.

"your opponent doesnt go 300ft in the air off your up throw and its possible at higher percentages"
wrong, first upthrow rest works wonders on space animals, and it doesnt work on other characters. second, it would be better if they didnt fly as far, or else they can jump out of it, also it gives them less time to move away if the throw is short.

new stuff is actually beneficial. why am i still around here?

Sliq

Smash Master
sleep is indeed more powerful, and a hell lot better in this one.

"your opponent doesnt go 300ft in the air off your up throw and its possible at higher percentages"
wrong, first upthrow rest works wonders on space animals, and it doesnt work on other characters. second, it would be better if they didnt fly as far, or else they can jump out of it, also it gives them less time to move away if the throw is short.

new stuff is actually beneficial. why am i still around here?
You misunderstood him. He thinks the u-throw is better for resting because it doesn't send them as high in the air, and it still works at higher perecentages as opposed to 0 in SSB.

GET FROED SON!

Aero

Smash Journeyman
lcanceled dair > jump > immediately rest

works better than dair > rest

:p

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Some characters are easier to Dair rest than others. There is a certain % range for each character that it is viable. If you notice sometimes when you dair your opponent they kind of tumble in place (kind of like what it looks like if you hit with Zelda's dtilt). It is this that you want to get when you aim to Dair rest.

I've found BY FAR the easiest character to do this to is GW. You can do it at practically 0%. Marth, Samus, Ganon, and Yoshi I'd say are the next easiest personally. All those are easy enough that with practice, dair rest is tourney viable at least in 2v2.

Dair is more often than not a free grab (guaranteed) if you get the tumbling animation on your opponent, so if you don't feel confident in spacing for the rest, you can at least get a throw out of it.

Top Bottom