• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair glitch isn't a glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
If u don't know what I'm talking about see this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BnRmDoJm0VI

Now my reasons for thinking its not a glitch:

It happens when you're being throw upwards and uses your dair.

So two forces work together, one send you upwards, other downwards, nullifying each other, and thorefore stalling in the air until the force that sends you upwards halts and you start falling again.

Falling + Soaring = Floating

Not glitch just physics :)

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
Great and all, but there is a thead about it in the Toon Link forum, post this there, not a new thead in the wrong section

Tanea

Smash Ace
glitch or not just use it agaisnt your advantage it is just good news for his mainers

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Yes wavedashing IS physics. In a world where you can stop your aerial motion and send yourself in another direction with no force, it's a world where you can do it to slide though the floor.

Not a glitch just a weakeness of the physics engine.

And i posted this here because others characters with similar moves can do it to -> ZSS, Sonic, Ice Climbers, Mr Game & Watch

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
It's not a device to float in mid air, its a device to make you FALL VERY FAST.
But when you are SOARING very fast and you make something to FALL VERY FAST you FLOAT! That's like 1+1=2!

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
I have to agree with TaurToph here. This game is not based entirely on physics as we know them. It sees the force upward and the force downward, and they apparently cancel out well enough that the game makes Link float. If wavedashing were considered not a glitch and the other myriad of "advanced techs" that I've been reading up on were not considered glitches...

Well, I'm just not sure how it could be said that this is a glitch then.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
If it's removed from the NA version we can assume it's a glitch or it wasn't supposed to be there...

Until then it doesn't count as a glitch... even if it looks sort of glitchy in some videos...

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
What the hell? Taur did you not watch the whole of that glitch video? The glitch is even used to glide back to the stage as recovery when he is not flying upwards.

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
If it's removed from the NA version we can assume it's a glitch or it wasn't supposed to be there...

Until then it doesn't count as a glitch... even if it looks sort of glitchy in some videos...
Online play makes fixes such as this unlikely.
What the hell? Taur did you not watch the whole of that glitch video? The glitch is even used to glide back to the stage as recovery when he is not flying upwards.
The aerial attack canceled his upward momentum, but had no effect whatsoever on his forward movement. He kept moving forward at the same rate he normally would--just without falling. :chuckle:

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
Obviously a glitch, just like wavedashing.

People who say they aren't glitches are very stupid.

Zek

Smash Ace
Toph your definition of "glitch" is way too limited. It doesn't matter if the physics engine is behaving the way it's supposed to, the point is that it lead to unintended results that are obviously at odds with how the move is supposed to behave. Just like wavedashing. Being able to hover immobile in mid-air while performing a move that is clearly intended to propel you downwards is a glitch, no two ways about it.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Obviously a glitch, just like wavedashing.

People who say they aren't glitches are very stupid.
Off topic but it's kinda funny calling someone stupid when WD was actually programmed into the game... it wasn't meant to be used in fighting but they put in so your character wouldn't air dodge into the ground...

On topic... it could very well be a glitch... but not at the same time... it could be the cancellation of two opposing forces or it could be the game getting confused with the two forces and causing the character to stall for a bit...

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
It's not a device to float in mid air, its a device to make you FALL VERY FAST.
But when you are SOARING very fast and you make something to FALL VERY FAST you FLOAT! That's like 1+1=2!
I disagree with your physics. Look carefully, it seems to me that WW Link jumps before doing his Dair. If so, then it's a glitch

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with your physics. Look carefully, it seems to me that WW Link jumps before doing his Dair. If so, then it's a glitch
I disagree with your physics. Big-headed kids with swords can't jump in midair, nor can they propel themselves quickly toward the ground without first launching from some other object.

(Note that this post is intended to be read in a playful, joking tone, and is not to be taken seriously.)

Zek

Smash Ace
Listen, it's very simple. Computers don't make mistakes. A "glitch" does not happen because the computer gets confused and just makes random crap happen. The computer always follows its instructions to the letter. A glitch is what happens when the instructions it's been given lead to unintended consequences. Just like wavedashing, and just like Toon Link's "fall really fast towards the ground" move causing him to levitate instead.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
lol the physics of this thread are done... i'd have to guess by people who haven't even had it in high school yet.

To create any force, you have to have an equal opposite force.

So yes, being thrown up makes sense, the force sending you up is matched by the force down on the person throwing you's body. thats why things are heavy to hold, and even heavier to throw in the air.

The problem is toon's downward force. There is no equal opposite force, unless your suggesting he was able to generate that strong of a force pushing air. He couldn't, that amount of force requires infinite acceleration of those few tiny particles.

Gravity is already being used, that is the force that slows down anyone thrown up in the air, gravity does not simply suddenly drastically increase to stop toon link, and then cease to exist while he floats, and then resume normal strength. Gravity doesn't do this, its a constant force accelerating objects to the earth at a constant rate.

Sadly here is what makes everyone considering this look dumb. Gravity as I said is constant, for to forces to balance as suggested you have to treat gravity as a single force, not a constant one. If the ability to hover was the same overcoming a single force of gravity, we wouldn't jump, we'd simply start hovering and never come back down.

The ONLY way this physics works is if something is creating not only a massive downward force from nothing, but also creates an accelerating upward force equal to that of gravity which remains constant with gravity for the duration of the hover.

this is a glitch, don't be dumb, school is good for you

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
"It's a glitch!"
"No! it's intended physics!"

What does it matter what it is? It's there and whatever you want to call it doesn't change the fact that it does what it does.

Instead of arguing what it is, wouldn't your time be better of spent trying to find useful ways for it to be used or even, if it should be allowed to be used?

I'm no one to decide what you should be discussing, but debating if it's a glitch or not is just wasted effort (seeing as how it won't make a difference ether way).

drengist

Smash Journeyman
Why are we arguing whether this is a glitch or not? The techique is there and it's very useful. Arguing about thematics is pointless.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
In any case, why are we even talking about it in terms of the physics we follow?

Smash Bros Physics does not follow the rules that we go by. I can't jump in the air, and then push off the air and jump again.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
lol the physics of this thread are done... i'd have to guess by people who haven't even had it in high school yet.

To create any force, you have to have an equal opposite force.

So yes, being thrown up makes sense, the force sending you up is matched by the force down on the person throwing you's body. thats why things are heavy to hold, and even heavier to throw in the air.

The problem is toon's downward force. There is no equal opposite force, unless your suggesting he was able to generate that strong of a force pushing air. He couldn't, that amount of force requires infinite acceleration of those few tiny particles.

Gravity is already being used, that is the force that slows down anyone thrown up in the air, gravity does not simply suddenly drastically increase to stop toon link, and then cease to exist while he floats, and then resume normal strength. Gravity doesn't do this, its a constant force accelerating objects to the earth at a constant rate.

Sadly here is what makes everyone considering this look dumb. Gravity as I said is constant, for to forces to balance as suggested you have to treat gravity as a single force, not a constant one. If the ability to hover was the same overcoming a single force of gravity, we wouldn't jump, we'd simply start hovering and never come back down.

The ONLY way this physics works is if something is creating not only a massive downward force from nothing, but also creates an accelerating upward force equal to that of gravity which remains constant with gravity for the duration of the hover.

Thank you, and finally ^^

Burninator

Smash Journeyman

In video games normal physics don't always apply. Toon Link's Dair, as well as Sonic's, ZSS's and others DO create a massive downward force out of nothing, and as the result shows, his second jump (from what I've heard, only Toon Link can freeze himself, while others simply slow the speed at which the attack carries them downward) is enough to counter that force.

The programming allows for him to do this. There's nothing breaking the game's physics, only something that seems unnatural. It's an exploitation of the physics engine at worst, NOT a glitch.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Exactly!!

Don't see it like a glitch to Float... it's more like he's controlling the force that sent him upwards and the force to send him downwards that he intentionally have in his advantage... to float. That's a good advanced technique and nothing more.

Considering this a glitch is like considering air jumps a glitch.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
Oh god you're more in denial than (insert witty family guy-esque reference).

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Don't you see... Wind Waking is not a glitch. It's an "Advanced Technique" :laugh:

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
if you think that nintendo intended Link to use his sword as a device in to float in mid air then you're not thinking it trough the right way. i'd say it classifies under "glitch".
No one here cares about what was intended.

"It's a glitch!"
"No! it's intended physics!"

What does it matter what it is? It's there and whatever you want to call it doesn't change the fact that it does what it does.

Instead of arguing what it is, wouldn't your time be better of spent trying to find useful ways for it to be used or even, if it should be allowed to be used?

I'm no one to decide what you should be discussing, but debating if it's a glitch or not is just wasted effort (seeing as how it won't make a difference ether way).
This is the correct post.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
WARNING. LOGIC APPROACHING:

If this was a glitch, it it way too hard to miss. Hell, we found it in less than a week. They game test for what, at least a month? How could they miss something so obvious if it wasn't meant to be in?

Xanderous

Smash Lord
TaurToph is right. Sheik, Sonic and Zamus can all do the same thing.

It's just physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom