• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DAir combo's?

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
Hello Lucas Booards,

I am aware that DAir can be used to form comb's with DTilt, USmash, and FSmash. These combo's have been peformed on me. After experimenting with DAir in mathces, I still can't grasp this combo. How do I practice it so I can do it flawlessly?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
You can't do it "flawlessly." Dair combos are affected by weight, percentage, DI, when you initiate the attack etc. It can actually be annoyingly difficult to pull off. I've found that the best bet is to use Dair to punish after shielding a move by doing an immediate full hop Dair and then fast fall Dtilt to Usmash. Initiating Dair later is more likely to not work against heavies for some reason that I don't understand. Dair combos get totally ****ed up by the opponent DIing behind you (unless you predict it,) teching or SDIing out of Dair.

If the opponent is above 100% however you can usually use Dair as an approach or whatever and Fsmash after the last hit even if it's too stale to knock them onto the ground or in the air. It won't knock them to the ground to let you Dtilt until the 75-95% range depending on weight so you need to be paying attention to percentage. Those aren't exact.

It's far from a science. It takes practice and a fair amount of luck to pull off. I'm still working on the most efficient way to do it myself.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
FHFF Dair combos to a jab combo, right?
also try dair+footstool+dair, you have to jump and dair at the same time, so you have enough time to jump after the dair finishes. Easier on large characters

Irsic

Smash Ace
. It can actually be annoyingly difficult to pull off.

It's far from a science. It takes practice and a fair amount of luck to pull off. I'm still working on the most efficient way to do it myself.
Quoting for truth.

Zephron

Smash Ace
Hello Lucas Boards,

I am aware that DAir can be used to form comb's with DTilt, USmash, and FSmash. These combo's have been peformed on me. After experimenting with DAir in mathces, I still can't grasp this combo. How do I practice it so I can do it flawlessly?

I doubt you should ever try a Usmash after a dair.

As for the dtilt, this is usually most effective if they get spiked to the ground, so you can jab lock them into some smash. I prefer Dsmash myself.

Fsmash isn't recommended, because if the enemy just simply shields after the dair, (they usually do) then you get punished. If they didn't get spiked, I'd do a dtilt anyway until they trip, and then side smash. But none of that is guaranteed.

Exactly what Tyr said. It's just based on Luck, %, timing, and weight of the character.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Zeph, you've got it wrong. You can easily usmash 1 dtilt, as the person is forced to stand up with no ability to imput anything else. They cannot get up attack, roll, or anything, they are forced to stand up.

After a dair that sends them on their back, 1 dtilt will force them to stand up. After this, assuming you've learned how to time your usmash correctly (Not hard at all) you will usmash them the moment they stand up. Basically the only guaranteed usmash set-up in the game.

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
One of my Lucas mainer friends and myself tend to use Dair->Dtilt->Fsmash/Usmash often. Neither of us used Dsmash, both of us think that it's too risky and easier to dodge. Ftilt instead of Fsmash can work too. Or you can just do a Dtilt Lock with it.

Zephron

Smash Ace
Zeph, you've got it wrong. You can easily usmash 1 dtilt, as the person is forced to stand up with no ability to imput anything else. They cannot get up attack, roll, or anything, they are forced to stand up.

After a dair that sends them on their back, 1 dtilt will force them to stand up. After this, assuming you've learned how to time your usmash correctly (Not hard at all) you will usmash them the moment they stand up. Basically the only guaranteed usmash set-up in the game.
If every dair I did made them fall flat on their back, life would be good. I was assuming it didn't spike. If it didn't, by no means should you upsmash, but a lot of people do anyway <__<

If it did, of course you should up smash.

And if they trip, dsmash should be perfectly fine. It's faster than usmash, has 3 hits if they roll, and less endlag. Usmash just seems slightly more risky to me, if they roll away they can attack you. And if they decide to roll towards you, life is good anyway.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
How would a usmash work after a jab lock? :urg: Is it guaranteed?
Why not fsmash, it's faster, and kills easily.

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman

That explains exactly why my friend and I use Usmash more than Fsmash FireKirby

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I have yet to come across anyone who actually SDI's and tech's Usmashes. But if I do, I'll be sure to Fsmash them lol.

Levitas

the moon
I don't understand your question. They're forced to stand after every dtilt you hit them with while they're down.

Irsic

Smash Ace
I'm sure it only works if you hit them while they're standing, if they're in the air I highly doubt that works.

Levitas

the moon
You have to be in the air to get the tech, otherwise you can only SDI left or right.

Also, I'm not sure about brawl teching mechanics (specifically if you can tech an upward sending move by slamming yourself with SDI)

Levitas

the moon
New ridiculous stuff we found last night (semi in line w/ the jiggs surviving the usmash):

Messing around w/ the new frame time hack, Ankoku and I discovered a revolutionary new technique. This technique is so powerful, it allows characters to survive fresh Snake utilts at 154% w/o breaking a sweat.

Introducing: ANN ARBOR DI

Against snake utilt:

Against MK dsmash (back hit):

Utilizing the power to DI utterly perpendicular to the original trajectory of the attack, brawl becomes much more angled towards being in Ann Arbor than towards the player with better mindgames.

Also, I believe this is a powerful enough technique to say that it goes w/o saying that we're not telling anyone how it's done. With ANN ARBOR DI, Ann Arbor will be even more the best smash scene in the world.

Basically, Ann Arbor smash is too good.
TUTORIAL:

Irsic

Smash Ace
Being that' i'm from Michigan and have brawled in Ann Arbor and will brawl in Ann Arbor in the future, you're required to tell me how to do it.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
New ridiculous stuff we found last night (semi in line w/ the jiggs surviving the usmash):

TUTORIAL:

Did they have to use Kirby..... <(-_-)>
Oh man..... If I can get a replay of AADI....
*Goes to mess around with the frame skip hack*

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I'm convinced that Ann Arbor not only has the best DI, but also has the best DI.

Top Bottom