• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D.B.R. Presents: GENESIS! RESULTS-Melee: Mango. Brawl: To Be Decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
My Bowser is gonna provide plenty of love for this tourny. Whomever wants the love, just come forth to me lol. Oh yeah, I need the link or whatever to the Smashbus. I need to be in it, especially if its starting from my state of NY lol.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I'm arguably one of the greatest Smash Globetrotters in the world. It's worth every dollar.

idea

Smash Master
corey - the question i always ask myself in situations like that is, would i enjoy it more spending the money a different way? if you can think of things you can do with $600 that add up to more fun than this, then it's worth it. if not, come =)

and what do you think you could actually win? pretty much everyone is going to this...i mean, if m2k comes, you've immediately not won singles or doubles for either game, pretty much. and that's just one guy.

Corigames

Smash Hero
if you can think of things you can do with $600 that add up to more fun than this, then it's worth it.
But that's the issue, it's not about fun, it's about being smart. I can either spend $600 dollars and have one hell of a weekend, or I can use $600 to pay off loans, buy groceries, pay bills, etc.

Besides, this bus thing looks promising, I might be able to vastly reduce the price of the trip buy pitching in for the bus instead of a plane ticket.

and what do you think you could actually win? pretty much everyone is going to this...i mean, if m2k comes, you've immediately not won singles or doubles for either game, pretty much. and that's just one guy.
I'm not being a ***** at this whole tournament with a defeatist attitude. No offense to M2K or any other pro out there, but I'm not going to just back down when someone "better" than me is on the other controller. I'm **** good. M2K has never played me. You had better believe I'm MM him if I'm coming. I always wanted to. Personal goal and yadda yadda.

I'm not walking in there expecting to place in the top 20... I'm going for number 1. If you aren't trying to go to the top, why even compete?

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
I'm not being a ***** at this whole tournament with a defeatist attitude. No offense to M2K or any other pro out there, but I'm not going to just back down when someone "better" than me is on the other controller. I'm **** good. M2K has never played me. You had better believe I'm MM him if I'm coming. I always wanted to. Personal goal and yadda yadda.

I'm not walking in there expecting to place in the top 20... I'm going for number 1. If you aren't trying to go to the top, why even compete?
Chu dat :D Corey! Thats the attitude you need for any kind of competition, no matter who you face.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
But that's the issue, it's not about fun, it's about being smart. I can either spend $600 dollars and have one hell of a weekend, or I can use $600 to pay off loans, buy groceries, pay bills, etc.

Besides, this bus thing looks promising, I might be able to vastly reduce the price of the trip buy pitching in for the bus instead of a plane ticket.

oh, don't get me wrong, we all try our hardest to win when its our turn to throw down, just most of us don't play for the money, just for the love (strong homo love), good times and food they shall be had with friends, like i stated earlier, were just hippies, i'm not saying your beliefs are wrong, just that its a lil presumptuous that you think we don't play our hardest when we do play... except in friendlies, those are all about the shenanigans

idea

Smash Master
If you aren't trying to go to the top, why even compete?
'sfun.

as for the money...well, if you go to this tournament and don't get first (cause it could happen, so it's best to consider the worse outcome), will it still be worth it? if you can be happy after going to this tourney, not getting first, and still being down $600, then it's worth it. if you require more for it to be an enjoyable experience then maybe it's not worth it.

but it's probably still better to spend the money and have it not turn out how you wanted. then at least you went for it.

i hope the smashbus works out for everyone involved, but i'm skeptical.

Corigames

Smash Hero
like i stated earlier, were just hippies, i'm not saying your beliefs are wrong, just that its a lil presumptuous that you think we don't play our hardest when we do play
Who says I'm not going to have fun if I go? I love hanging out with smash people, best times of my life. I'm saying that I'm putting up a LOT to go to this and is a fun weekend enough to put myself in financial risk just in case I don't come in first? Well?

If I go, I'll have a blast, but I'll feel a little obligated to earn something because I put so very much of everything I own into it. It's like when Forward went on tour that one year. What if he lost a tourny and was out the money for the plane ticket and the time spent there? He would have been SOL.

I'm also not saying that you can't have fun and compete too. Except in... like... chess. That's no fun at all. I tried.
Chu dat :D Corey! Thats the attitude you need for any kind of competition, no matter who you face.
Bingo

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Who says I'm not going to have fun if I go? I love hanging out with smash people, best times of my life. I'm saying that I'm putting up a LOT to go to this and is a fun weekend enough to put myself in financial risk just in case I don't come in first? Well?

If I go, I'll have a blast, but I'll feel a little obligated to earn something because I put so very much of everything I own into it. It's like when Forward went on tour that one year. What if he lost a tourny and was out the money for the plane ticket and the time spent there? He would have been SOL.

I'm also not saying that you can't have fun and compete too. Except in... like... chess. That's no fun at all. I tried.

Bingo
lol chess is fun i like it, it's just very long, anyway your the only one who can deem it worthy for you money, i was just givin yah my views on it, gl making the decision, i hope to see you on the bus though

pastaboy

Smash Champion

Bingo
why not mm people

soap

Smash Hero
i go to play other regions

being good enough to win would be cool, but not a requirement

if this will put u in financial trouble dont come

u should be setting aside cash for fun stuff like this

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
That last statement is ridiculous. There are lots of reasons why you'd compete.

Besides the reasons of competing to improve yourself and to have fun, you definitely have incentive to compete if you expect to place in the money but not number 1.

It's not a PTQ in magic where only number 1 gets a real reward. Ambition and confidence are good, but so is having realistic expectations...

S0FT

Smash Ace
Sometimes going for first makes you go farther, then just going for 3rd or something....
Sometimes when you set a rediculissly high goal and fail your better off then setting a "reasonable goal"
and acheiving it.

*Yes, I suck at spelling, all you grammer natzis...*

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I'm not lowering myself to Mike Haze's level.
The level Mike Haze is at is pretty hazy.

****, I'm good
:laugh: I'll give you that one, Matt. :laugh:

omg dj nintendo is coming
lol DJ, you got Isai on your side. You will go far in life

Sometimes going for first makes you go farther, then just going for 3rd or something....
Sometimes when you set a ridiculously high goal and fail your better off then setting a "reasonable goal"
and achieving it.
I agree

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I live in West Virginia and want to come to this tournament. After a few minutes of research, I'm looking at $410 dollars for air fare to get there. This also doesn't include the several hour trip it will take to get to the airport in PA and the gas that will take. Then, upon getting there, I will have to spend money on food, entrance fee, and any Money Matches that have to take place. I currently work at McDonalds making **** per hour and I'm going to have to start paying off student loans soon.

This all adds up to if I can go. The trip in it's entirety looks, to me, like it's going to be around $600. I'm not sure if I would have that kind of money by July or even if I would be willing to spend all of that just to go to this thing. I do not doubt my ability to win in this (confidence not stupidity), but I'm putting all my chips on the table for this which is not going to make this a fun trip but more like a business one. If I don't win ANYTHING, I'm out more than half a grand and nothing to show for it but a ticket stub.

If one thing is clear, if I can come, I will. If I magically get the money and a ride to the airport, you had better believe I'm flying in. But... the question is what to sacrifice? I'm going to have to call of 5 or so days form work which means I might as well quit since you aren't allowed to do that at my work. I'm going to need someone to pick me up and drop me off at both airports on both days. I'll need a place to sleep and food to eat. It will take a lot of work and effort to do this if I can is what I'm trying to say.

So... in all seriousness, does it sound worth it? All I want to do is get my name made in Melee, that's my goal. Is $600 and a whole lot of trouble worth going to this tournament on a chance of winning glory against people I've never played and pros who have never talk about me? I would like to say yes, but... it's just so much. I'm not rich. I mean... West Virginia man. I have nothing right now. But, this may be one of the last opportunities to do this. It would be like passing up a pilgrimage to Disney Land and then having it close down within the year before you could try to do it again.

I'm just in a conflict of interest and was wondering if someone could give me support in this. Thank you.
It sounds like with your attitude the trip wouldn't be worth it. You probably won't be able to enjoy yourself if you worry about the money that much, and if you're not enjoying yourself $600 to go to a game tournament definitely isn't worth it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
why not mm people
Planned on it. Especially anyone with at least half a reputation.
That last statement is ridiculous. There are lots of reasons why you'd compete.

Besides the reasons of competing to improve yourself and to have fun, you definitely have incentive to compete if you expect to place in the money but not number 1.

It's not a PTQ in magic where only number 1 gets a real reward. Ambition and confidence are good, but so is having realistic expectations...
I meant I'm not going to be defeated before the match even starts. I'm not going to go, "Well ****, here's Ken. I might as well just jump off 4 times and get it over with." **** that. I'm playing to play. I'm not going to assume that because I'm playing someone good I'm going to lose. That's why you lose.

And why not aim for number 1? What are you doing, placing yourself at 16th or something just because you don't think you can make top?

I think that statement is ridiculous.

Also, as for my decision... I'm not going to pay for a plane ticket or the equivalent to go out there. If this bus thing works out or something else a bit cheaper like it, then yes. Thanks for everyone who concerned themselves with my indecisive attitude.

Iwan

Smash Ace
come on the bus. you'll get much better :D

Listen to this man.
:D

so matt, is this bus actually planned and on schedule to be legit by the time summer rolls around? Or do you still need money for it? This would be so much fun AND save me money. seriously.

*is serious*

also, do you HAVE to be a smash player to get on this bus? Because my gf wants to come to this tournament xD. Just to watch and have fun and meet some of my friends from the smash community and stuff. :p.....you restricting the bus space for smashers ONLY? Or could she get a ticket too :p...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom