• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Move Grinding?

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
One of the concerns about custom moves being competitively viable is that since there are so many, players who have grinded for more will have a bigger advantage. To avoid this, i was wondering if people could come up with ways to more efficiently grind for custom moves.

Question: do custom moves drop in versus? do they come out of containers? if so, i think you can farm for them like people farmed for stickers and cds in brawl: turn items on high, and only have containers highlighted. Could someone test this out?

Any other suggestions would be great; I'd really like for custom moves to be viable, or at least not be banned because not everyone has the time to slowly grind for them.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
apparently mew drops moves now so you might be able to farm them that way supper fast by putting items on the highest setting and just having pokeballs and master balls

Last edited:

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
they arent available in matchmaking, but im talking about for local play, with friends, and tournaments

iruchii

Smash Apprentice
My friends and I have found that the best way to grind custom moves drop is to play the Trophy Rush minigame (the one with the dropping crates, found in the Trophies menu). You can spend up to 2:30 minutes on it, and if you're good enough (which is not hard; it's quite easy) you'll get about 2~4 drops per run.

You do have to spend 900 coins to play for the whole 2:30, so it requires a few Classic Mode runs too. You can get custom move drops there as well so it's not a waste of time, but the main draw is stocking up on coins. One Classic Mode run on the 7th intensity will net you about 5000 coins, enough for 5 or 4 plays of Trophy Rush. Just remember to have 800 coins at your disposal when going for the Classic run, so you can increase the intensity and your rewards!

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
well, considering most people only main between 1 and 3 characters, and custom moves are more likely to drop for the character you are currently playing, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up 9 customizations from just doing smash run with those characters and only getting the item bags with the wrench/custom icon on them. You don't get an advantage for unlocking customs of characters you have no intention of using.

But yeah, for just unlocking everything, what iruchii above said, as well as run smash run with the character you want the moves for.

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
If people only use certain custom moves, they ought to be tourney viable. It's a shame VGBC has banned them straight up already. Looks like they can really balance the tiers list.

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
cool
iruchii, could you test my method? i dont have smash 4, and i havent seen much myself that would confirm or deny it.

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
you say that like VGBC is good at making decisions. They're in a minority when it comes to customizations, as the majority wants them in tournaments. and their reason of "It takes too long to unlock them" is absolutely stupid. it has -some- grounds now, while not everyone has access to a japanese 3DS and copy of the game, but when the game releases it'll be up to the individual players to unlock the customizations they need, and even when the Wii U version comes out you can just transfer the customizations from a 3DS to them(as stated by nintendo)

Last edited:

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
you say that like VGBC is good at making decisions. They're in a minority when it comes to customizations, as the majority wants them in tournaments. and their reason of "It takes too long to unlock them" is absolutely stupid.
err, is that directed at me? the cool was meant for an earlier post, i hadnt seen the other guys post when i posted that

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
err, is that directed at me? the cool was meant for an earlier post, i hadnt seen the other guys post when i posted that
nah it was directed at Vkatana, as your post went through at about the same time mine did. it was in reference to VGBC already banning custom moves.

Last edited:

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
nah it was directed at Vkatana, as your post went through at about the same time mine did. it was in reference to VGBC already banning custom moves.
ahh, i was confused, because i read katanas post as meaning that he was disappointed that custom moves were being banned by vgbc

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I didn't intend to defend VGBC, I was just referencing to what they did. I'm semi-new to the eSports/competitive smash community and still feeling my way around. VGBC just came to mind because of how large and in charge they appear to be.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I didn't intend to defend VGBC, I was just referencing to what they did. I'm semi-new to the eSports/competitive smash community and still feeling my way around. VGBC just came to mind because of how large and in charge they appear to be.
Didn't mean to imply you was defending them, my apologies if it sounded that way.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Didn't mean to imply you was defending them, my apologies if it sounded that way.
Eh no worries. Hard to have inflection when typing XD surprised there aren't more misunderstandings on Smashboards. Also a bit surprised how nice the majority of people are here!

iruchii

Smash Apprentice
cool
iruchii, could you test my method? i dont have smash 4, and i havent seen much myself that would confirm or deny it.
They don't drop normally from versus matches. I guess Mew does drop them, but the chance of getting a Mew, even in a Master Ball, is really low. Playing Trophy Rush or Smash Run is much faster, I assure you.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
If people only use certain custom moves, they ought to be tourney viable. It's a shame VGBC has banned them straight up already. Looks like they can really balance the tiers list.
Does anybody care what they think? Majority wins. And their reason is so stupid. I could see it being true for the Wii U version but the 3DS won't have a problem with it.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Unless something else has happened recently that I've missed, VGBC has not officially outright banned custom moves at all. GimR's comment on stream was not a definitive ruling and he may change his views on the difficulty to unlock moves with time.

Anyways, thanks for the tip on Trophy Run being great for custom grinding. :)

Top Bottom