• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Custom Item Farming Data

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Been trying various methods to collect custom items. Here's the data I have so far, will update as I research more.

I need more data, so please follow this format!

Trophy Rush Section:

(2 times) Trophy Rush: 1:44
Collected: 2 NEW MOVE

(3 times) Trophy Rush: 2:00
Collected: 3 NEW MOVE // (Separate time) NEW MOVE

(4 times) Trophy Rush: 2:30
Collected: 3

(2 times) Trophy Rush: 2:30
Collected: 2 NEW MOVE /// (Separate time) NEW HAT

Trophy Rush: 2:30
Collected: 3
Missed: 1

Trophy Rush: 2:30
Collected: 4** (Awarded same move 3 times)

Smash Run Section:
Smash Run: 6:30 (Giant Smash), Treasure Room opened.
Collected: 7 NEW MOVE
Missed: 0

Smash Run: 6:20 (Race to the Finish)
Collected: 6 NEW MOVE

Smash Run: 6:30 (Race to the Finish) [Got 2nd]
Collected: 6

Smash Run: 6:40 (Stamina) [Got 2nd]
Collected: 6 NEW MOVE NEW HAT

I'm using the following trick to increase the amount I receive in Classic.

Classic Section:

Classic 2.0: 7:50
Collected: 7
*Missed: 2

Classic 5.0: 11:07
Collected: 7
*Missed: 6

Classic 6.0 13:22
Collected: 9 NEW MOVE
*Missed: 1

Classic 8.0: 13:20
Collected: 8 NEW MOVE
*Missed: 5

Classic 8.3: 14:07
Collected: 8
Missed: 4 NEW MOVE**

Classic 9.0: 17:24
Collected: 15
So angry about this run. Look at it!

*For Classic, the amount you receive on the roulette affects the next roulette. So while these are "missed", they potentially would have negatively affected the total number collected.

**I was awarded the same new move twice.

Also, I always went to the most difficult path on Classic.

Other Section:

Home Run Contest: 5 Minutes (Was following a method found on a Japanese blog)
Collected:2
Missed 3 (over shot by a meter or two).

Smash Bomb: 5:22
Collected: 4 NEW MOVE
Missed: 2

Smash Bomb: 5:22
Collected: 5
Missed: 2

The good thing about clearing Classic is that it gives you a ton of coins, which can be useful for Trophy Rush.

Please note I have 6 more customs to find, so my data may be skewed.

For All-Star you are awarded the number of customs depending on your difficult level. 1 for Easy, 2 for normal and 3 for difficult. It doesn't seem farming friendly at all.

EDIT, Monday 14:36: I have all the custom moves. Now I just need the hats. Runs not aiming for any custom moves will be added below.

I think Trophy Rush, 2 minutes is the most efficient way to farm right now.

Current List of Farming:

(6 times) Trophy Rush: 2 Minutes
(Total) Received: 18
(Total) Missed: 1

Classic 8.3: 12:06
Received: 10
*Missed: 1

Classic 9.0 15:25
Received: 15
*Missed 4

(2 times) Trophy Rush: 1:30
(Total) Received: 6 NEW HAT -Wario Hat [Was playing as Wario, not sure if it helped)
(Total) Missed: 0

49 Received in between last new drop.

(5 times) Trophy Rush: 1:20
(Total) Received: 13
(Total) Missed: 2 Was playing as Mii Fighter. Dog Hat came up, but I already had it.

Classic: 8.0 9:51 Game Over
Lost: 4 + Trophies I had rolled at the end. The items I lost were 3 at the start, and 2 at the end. @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos

(3 times) Trophy Rush: 2 minutes each
Total Received: 5
Total Missed: 1

Smash Run: 6:20
Received: 6

8.5 Classic 14:20
Received: 14
*Missed: 3

(12 times) Trophy Rush: 2 minutes each
Total Received: 37
Total Missed: 1 Was playing as Peach and Captain Falcon Helmet, Red Ribbon and Red Shell hats have come up, but I already had those. Don't think fighters are related to hat drops, as I still have received Peach's Crown.

Field Smash:
Received: 5

8.5 Classic:

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
What happens if you deliberately lose in classic and choose not to continue? Master Hand and friends are obviously the most time consuming part of classic so if you can opt out of that it would really affect the calculations a lot.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
What happens if you deliberately lose in classic and choose not to continue? Master Hand and friends are obviously the most time consuming part of classic so if you can opt out of that it would really affect the calculations a lot.
You will lose some of your loot (the amount depends on the difficulty). It seems like you will loose the items you gained at the start. Though I have lost some "new" loot that I had gained in the middle by not continuing.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I think you ought to have listed the number of times you entered Fever Mode for each Trophy Rush game, seeing as it's the only time you can actually get customs, thus the character/how well you play it can heavily influence how many customs you'll obtain on average.

In any case, I think Smash Run is going to be my preferred method of gathering items, as you have a better chance of getting rare equipment from there if you place first.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Thanks for the info.

Looks like once I've unlocked all of the characters in Classic Mode, I'll be spending a lot of time in Trophy Rush.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think you ought to have listed the number of times you entered Fever Mode for each Trophy Rush game, seeing as it's the only time you can actually get customs, thus the character/how well you play it can heavily influence how many customs you'll obtain on average.

In any case, I think Smash Run is going to be my preferred method of gathering items, as you have a better chance of getting rare equipment from there if you place first.

With two minutes I usually enter fever mode anywhere from 5-6 times.

What is your trophy rush strategy?
One thing I found that really helps is to leave some of the coins on the stage until the fever mode finishes. As soon as it finishes, collect them and you will be a quarter to half way to your next fever (Though it's always better to pick up the custom pickup ASAP, as it can fall). This has really increased the amount of custom I receive (three in two minutes, four to five in two and a half minutes). You also get more points to the fever if you destroy multiple blocks in a hit (your hit will connect to other blocks touching the block you hit if it was strong enough).

Also, when you stand in one place for too long, the stage sends a ball of energy down. You can use that ball of energy to destroy blocks, which makes it easier to keep both sides of the platform free.

In other news, I have five more hats to collect. Between my last two hats, I had picked up 104 custom item wrenches. (Before that it was 49 between the last two drops) I'm not longer counting the pickups, but that should give you guys an idea of how rare hats are.

tatsurou

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-8582-1760
I meant to say, which character do you use? If I do 2:30 with Donkey Kong spamming Down+B and rolling away from the lightning bolts, I can usually get 1~3 wrenches. Do you find you will get duplicates of that character way too often?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
As far as I can tell, hats and outfits are not influenced by the character you choose. For unlocking specials, you have a slightly higher chance of unlocking that characters special.

I use any character~ I typically use Wario just because I like to play as him. It's best to go around and actually hit the blocks. Spamming isn't really efficient, as if I play well I can get 5 in 2:30.

Top Bottom