• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom GameCube Controllers

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
They really are awesome, NO lie. The Looks, extra control, and comfortability trump the OEM GameCube Analog Stick.
Unfortunately, I cannot help you to if they are legal. Try asking some other people who KNOW the rules, like ppl who host the tourneys. Im sure they are legal at any casual or small tourney and ppl wont care, but you might run into some issues if you bring that thing to Apex.
I will try to seek some answers myself. A lot of other ppl want to know if they are legal, you are not the only one.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I tried a PS2 (which I assume is the same as the PS3) cap and it wasn't too bad. The grip on top was much better and I could see tilts being much easier to do. The control sticks are also the same height, but the rounded part of the cap is lower than the GCC's thus making the stick longer (if you look at the pictures you'll be able to see what I'm talking about) so that made me like it more than using a Classic Controller control stick as CC sticks are raised more than PS2/3 and GCC sticks.

The only downside to the PS2/3 stick I could find was that the travel time from the center to the side was noticeably longer. Dash-Dancing felt a little different and as a Project: M Toon Link player I found myself having trouble getting the full distance of my AGT (Aerial Glide Toss) which is a required technique for recovering as well as a few other things.

But I'm also very sensitive to all kinds of changes to things both in game and in my hand, so you guys may not have the issues I did.

Shikenshu

Smash Cadet
As long as you don't gain an extra advantage over you opponent, it's legal.
-Changing the stick (for a PS3 or CC stick) and paint jobs are legal, because they doesn't really give you an advantage, it's more about preference.
-Removing the rumble pack is legal, because the only difference is the weight and this is more a preference
-Third party controller WITHOUT macro (turbo, all that bs) are legal, but no one use them because they are super cheap and worse then official controllers
-Third party controller WITH macros are banned because it gives you extra functionality that are impossible to use normally.
-Removing the spring of L/R is banned because it reduce the time needed to do a full press, making some technique easier (wavedash)
-Mods that changes the functionality of the controller are banned (short hop buttons, instant full length wavedash, etc)

TL:DR If you don't gain a techincal advantage, it's legal

Shikenshu

Smash Cadet
@standardtoaster: not exactly, the in-game effects are the same, but no one use it for the in-game effects. The real advantage of removing the spring is the physical aspect. I'll try to do a diagram to explain the physical difference.
(,\ <-- L w/o spring; (,,,\ <--L with spring;

Time to do a full press and a full release:
1: (,\ <-- L w/o spring; (,,,\ <--L with spring
2: (\ <-- L w/o spring; (,,\ <--L with spring
3: (,\ <-- L w/o spring; (,\ <--L with spring
4: ________________(\ <--L with spring
5: ________________(,\ <--L with spring
6: ________________(,,\ <--L with spring
7: ________________(,,,\ <--L with spring

Even if you hold the trigger before plugging, the button itself still has a spring and the button will still go fully up if you stop holding it down. When the spring is removed, the button doesn't go up, so you don't have to hold it down constantly.

GCS Gaming Customs

Reason why they dont tell you is cuz they are too lazy to check. It is not technically allowed, but any smaller tournament or even some bigger ones arent going to care.

Best way to understand it is that removed springs is like always having your triggers compressed, so they are like buttons. This is very useful for brawl, since the triggers are not pressure sensitive, but you must fully compress them to perform the action

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
but in brawl, you could rebind your shield button to x or y anyways, and people shouldn't have to do that to obtain the same gain.

I don't see a real problem with removing springs, to be honest. I don't think it makes wavedashing "easier," it simply takes different timing to obtain the mastery. But in the end, both you and your opponent should have mastery in wavedashing and nobody is left with a real advantage. The physical change is so insignificant that it makes absolutely no sense that it be banned while you're allowed to use 3rd party controllers, which often have a much more severe differences in how the controller feels and acts physically.

smash 64 players are allowed to use custom joysticks, which are often superior in comfort and precision when compared to the poorly-designed official n64 analogue sticks. For a game that is so heavily focused on mobility, that matters much more than the timing on the shield button

B.W.

Smash Champion
Throwing it out there.

In Melee removing your springs actually gives you more of a disadvantage due to light shielding not being possible without them.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Throwing it out there.

In Melee removing your springs actually gives you more of a disadvantage due to light shielding not being possible without them.
you can get the same thing by holding down the shoulder button before plugging in the controller
already mentioned, and it's totally legal to do this

GCS Gaming Customs

yea, not being able to light shield is sorta not good...
I play with triggers removed right now. It feels like a smaller controller and I have smaller hands, so I like the feel, but I will probably start playing with the triggers again.

GCS Gaming Customs

It makes the controller much lighter, and it takes away the rumble function (obviously) which is all preference. If you are ok without the rumble pack (if you are ok playing with a wavebird might be an indicator) then I would do it, it is sort of a "good habit" to not use it, since the rumble can distort your game performance slightly.

GCS Gaming Customs

Here is a black controller with gray buttons and a Black PS3 stick. Turned out great, it was just a quick little thing I thought you guys might want to see.

GCS Gaming Customs

I can just put the sticks in (usually)
However, sometimes the stick does not fit in, and one must factor in the cost for a screwdriver, the right PS3 stick and hope it fits in correctly. Colored Sticks are relatively expensive, $4 + a pair
Also, the sticks do not fit into the C-stick well at all typically

GCS Gaming Customs

I have been waiting for the tan coat to cure. I can add the green tomorrow.
I should be able to have the whole thing finished by next weekend, give or take. Sorry for the wait, it is difficult to work in the current weather conditions, plus schoolwork has been pretty harsh lately.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
I have been waiting for the tan coat to cure. I can add the green tomorrow.
I should be able to have the whole thing finished by next weekend, give or take. Sorry for the wait, it is difficult to work in the current weather conditions, plus schoolwork has been pretty harsh lately.
There is a high chance ill be getting it!

How much is it again?

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Did you just exchange the stickpad or did you solder a PS3 potentiometer to the controller's mainboard?
If one were to desolder thumbsticks from a 360/PS3 and a Gamecube Controller and solder in the thumbsticks from a 360/PS3 controller into the Gamecube Controller's PCB, would it be legal for tourny use?

GCS Gaming Customs

I dont see why not, from what I have heard, most tourneys aren't to picky about internal or stick modifications. I would have a backup controller, in case.

GCS Gaming Customs

So here is whats going on :

I just finished up all of my finals. That has occupied a lot of time. I have been trying to work on my controllers, but every single day for the past 2 weeks I check (I check 2-3 times a day) it is above 90 % humidity :mad: . I have also started on the top shell, but the stencil chipped slightly because the spray paint was being a b****. I need to add more coats, but I need it to be below 60 % humidity. I am also working on the other orders too, but I am faced with a very similar issue for other orders too.

I really am trying to do this, all of the wet weather isn't helping tho :glare:

brianorwhatever

Smash Rookie
hey i've lurked around here for a while, but just made an account to ask a quick question (forgive me if it's been answered earlier in this thread)
i know ps2/3 sticks work in gc controllers (i plan on switching sticks with a couple older controllers once i can get my hands on a tri-wing screwdriver), i'm just wondering if xbox 360 sticks will work as well? they've always felt really nice uner my thumb and if i can use them to play smash, all the better.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
It's a good thing u need some time. I want to buy many things, yet I don't have enough $ atm. so i hope ill have the money when the time comes.

Do u like the profile pic?

GCS Gaming Customs

Huhh. I guess :lol:
Thanks for your patients, anyone who has an order. I check for humidity everyday, just refuses to get better :(
BTW, I just left for vacation. I will not be able to paint for 2 weeks (pbly wouldn't be able anyways tho :ohwell:)

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
Just ran into this thread and I'm just wowed by you're work. I'm interested in your services with a custom design in mind. I don't know what I want yet but I'll be sure to pm you when I come to it. I do have a question though, If I wanted to self mod my GC controller's Analog stick with the Wii's Numchuck or Classic controller Stick would it be a perfect fit or would it require more work? ....AND do you go as far as putting LEDs in a controller?

Top Bottom