• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Controls and Project M

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

Finally! A game with the technicality of melee and custom controls to fully take advantage of them!

Well, I main Ness and i'm always open to experimentation. I've been keeping my mind on mapping certain buttons i don't regularly use. Personally, I jump with x, block with L, making Y unused and R mostly unused (most of you will find either x or y unusued and either r or l unused). I've experimented with the following changes to differing effect.

Suggestion 1: Change "R or L" to "A"
In brawl I used to make this change. It allowed me to bair out of a Short hop easier than using A, and I smashed the Cstick up to do a headbutt before my short hop was over. The timing for hte frames is pretty tight and i found using the "R" as A gave me more control.

Suggestion 2: Change "Y or X" to "Special"
As ness, I love being able to do b-moves as I rise out of a shorthop without having to take my thumb off of x to find the b button. Really, there's no good reason not to do this, as you can have your thumb on the holy trinity (jump/special/a) without having to move your thumb.

Suggestion 3: Change "Z" to Shield" and Change "R or L" to "Grab"
This is the most recent control option I've been messing with. My problem with using the shoulder buttons in melee, especially with Ness's Double Jump Cancel close to the ground, is I felt like i never had enough time after an aerial to input the l-cancel. I remember it was significantly easier in 64 when the L-button was springy and not analog and I realized the "Z" button is similar in texture. Now, L-cancelling is so easy and your brain does not have to process the push of the squishy button for the stringent l-cancelling timings. Instead, a simply finger touch of the very clicky and responsive z-button will do.

I found a secondary advantage--The shoulder buttons are actually quite responsive to the lightest touch, and at the same time are not totally instant and clicky making JC-grabs MUCH easier. Especially for those of you who have the tendency to hit the grab button to early. Also it just feels so damn good to Click down the shoulder hard to grab your opponent.

Anyways, hope that was helpful. Throw your own ideas into the mix, my friends and experiment away!

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I keep my controls as default (using GC controller) with one exception: X for footstool. I want to retain Melee muscle memory and I find that my fingers are fast enough for everything that I need to do anyway. I want an easily-accessible button for footstool so that it'll encourage me to work it into my game, and it's been kinda working.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I put an extra shield button on Y and I put up taunt on R. Other than that everything else is default. With an extra shield on Y, for some reason it's more comfortable to waveland with it, and also to wavedash with some of the characters that have faster jumpstart like Luigi, Marth, or Fox. I guess it also allows for one handed shield grabs. R on up taunt is just for giggles with Falcon's knee and a couple taunt cancels.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I can't stand tap, so I have R set to jump so I can do stuff OOS.

Yes, I have 3 jump buttons and I use them all for different things.

Dante'

Smash Rookie
For me I prefer tap jump off and grab to l, cause the z button bugs me.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I have Z set to Attack, and Y set to Grab.

Z set to attack makes DACUS much easier, since the Grab command isn't actually a grab command, it's a shield>attack macro (the fact that it registers it as an attack in the first place is why DACUS is even possible using a grab button) which requires the game to spend time registering the shield input before the attack input is registered. This makes timing DACUS stricter, and it's already strict enough for most of the characters who can do it.

Vashimus

Smash Master
X = Grab
Z = Footstool

I also have another control setup with this, and tap jump is off, because tap jump is a pain in the *** with some characters.

Kati

Smash Lord
B= jump
Y=Special

JCaeser how do you wavedash oos? Is L your only shield button?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I have Z set to Attack, and Y set to Grab.

Z set to attack makes DACUS much easier, since the Grab command isn't actually a grab command, it's a shield>attack macro (the fact that it registers it as an attack in the first place is why DACUS is even possible using a grab button) which requires the game to spend time registering the shield input before the attack input is registered. This makes timing DACUS stricter, and it's already strict enough for most of the characters who can do it.
Could you explain this? to be honest, I haven't really observed DACUS in this game and I don't know how it has changed.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Also, is footstooling even good if your character has a good spike, like Ness's in this game? And for what purposes?

MaxThunder

PM Support
Hey guys,

Finally! A game with the technicality of melee and custom controls to fully take advantage of them!

Well, I main Ness and i'm always open to experimentation. I've been keeping my mind on mapping certain buttons i don't regularly use. Personally, I jump with x, block with L, making Y unused and R mostly unused (most of you will find either x or y unusued and either r or l unused). I've experimented with the following changes to differing effect.

Suggestion 1: Change "R or L" to "A"
In brawl I used to make this change. It allowed me to bair out of a Short hop easier than using A, and I smashed the Cstick up to do a headbutt before my short hop was over. The timing for hte frames is pretty tight and i found using the "R" as A gave me more control.

Suggestion 2: Change "Y or X" to "Special"
As ness, I love being able to do b-moves as I rise out of a shorthop without having to take my thumb off of x to find the b button. Really, there's no good reason not to do this, as you can have your thumb on the holy trinity (jump/special/a) without having to move your thumb.

Suggestion 3: Change "Z" to Shield" and Change "R or L" to "Grab"
This is the most recent control option I've been messing with. My problem with using the shoulder buttons in melee, especially with Ness's Double Jump Cancel close to the ground, is I felt like i never had enough time after an aerial to input the l-cancel. I remember it was significantly easier in 64 when the L-button was springy and not analog and I realized the "Z" button is similar in texture. Now, L-cancelling is so easy and your brain does not have to process the push of the squishy button for the stringent l-cancelling timings. Instead, a simply finger touch of the very clicky and responsive z-button will do.

I found a secondary advantage--The shoulder buttons are actually quite responsive to the lightest touch, and at the same time are not totally instant and clicky making JC-grabs MUCH easier. Especially for those of you who have the tendency to hit the grab button to early. Also it just feels so damn good to Click down the shoulder hard to grab your opponent.

Anyways, hope that was helpful. Throw your own ideas into the mix, my friends and experiment away!
just wanna point out that you can l-cancel with z when i's set to grab...

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Could you explain this? to be honest, I haven't really observed DACUS in this game and I don't know how it has changed.
DACUS really hasn't changed much. Lots of characters can still do it, but some of them don't go as far because their traction is changed, or the amount of momentum they build up from their DA's initial frames has changed.

The only thing that has significantly changed about it is how easy it is to do. If you were DACUSing all over the place in Brawl, you'll probably notice how much more difficult it is in PM. This is mostly because of the lack of a buffer window. Ya know how lots of people could DACUS in vBrawl, but they'd say stuff like "yea I can't do sheik's DACUS, it's too hard", or others might say "you can't do sheik's DACUS unless you change Z to attack". It's cuz sheik's couldn't be buffered. That's what's going on in PM. Everyone's DACUS is as hard as vBrawl Sheik's.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I use the Classic Controller Pro, so:

b = Attack
y = Special
x & a = Jump
L & R = Grab since they're in the same general area as Z on a Gamecube Controller
ZR = Shield
ZL = Up-Taunt

Ever since I switched to this controller, the Gamecube one just hasn't done as well for me. It even seems to work and read faster than all the other wireless methods, plus the button presses are so light, silent and comfortable so it's easy for me to do things quickly. Especially L-Canceling, teching and Wavedashing.

So yeah, that's my CCP Smash set up. :3

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Kusanagi, we've got just about the same inputs lol.

Attack B/L
Special Y
Jump X/A
Grab R
Shield zR/zL

Attack on L allows me easy access to a DACUS and it's been the same thing I've been doing since Brawl.

Nicean

Smash Rookie
I play CCP and map up taunt to zL and jump to L. It makes OOS things and DJC aerials and Lucas's PKF feel a lot more natural. Also grab to R and shield to zR, it feels way better than the default. And Y to grab, as well. But I don't think I've ever really used Y as a button in my years of Smash, just have no use for it.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Kusanagi, we've got just about the same inputs lol.

Attack B/L
Special Y
Jump X/A
Grab R
Shield zR/zL

Attack on L allows me easy access to a DACUS and it's been the same thing I've been doing since Brawl.
*highfives* I've always come to like you more and more each time you post. xD

And it's not just cause you have Zelgadis as your avy, though it does help. ¦D

Top Bottom