• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Curse You Jigglypuff!

YerrowRice

Smash Rookie
Any tips from fellow samus players on how to attack jigglypuff? Those air combos always kill me and considering samus's large size and floatiness, kinda a pain lol.

Smash Journeyman
DI down and away to get out of bair combos.

In neutral, stay grounded if possible and try to outspace puff with wd back -> uptilt / ftilt or call out their fade back with wd forward oos -> some move. At low %s you can cc dtilt -> aerial misspaced Puff aerials.

The biggest goal in Samus-Puff is to hit her away for long enough to get charge; charge shot is the scariest thing Puff has to deal with in the matchup, and charge shot and sweetspot bair are basically the only ways for you to get kills before like 120%. Hitting Puff with charge shots is about reading her vertical movement (counting jumps, predicting jumps, etc), or comboing into them (but Samus doesn't have that many things that true combo into charge shot, so you still have to prey on the Puff's fear / inclination to jump.)

Kmac0

Smash Cadet
^ That basically sums up how to hit puff really well.
Placing your charge shot is really important, and make sure you do so confidently. You don't have much time to react to Puff jumping so you gotta trust your gut.
It's also important to note that Puff players love to swing at the air as a means of threatening your space. What's important about this is that when a puff player uses one of her double jumps and IMMEDIATELY uses an aerial (assuming the aerial whiffs), they're very vulnerable to charge shot as they've taken away their own options to either fast fall or air dodge.
Puff players like to make big back-air walls in center stage so I'm only saying this to highlight that in the Samus MU it is very unsafe and should be punished accordingly.

I hope that made sense, let me know if it didn't because I can probably find some Duck / Plup footage vs Hbox or Abu to clear things up.

Mcoree

Smash Rookie
I have a pretty good puff at my school, and the 2 summarys above are pretty much exactly how I play the match up.

the #1 Thing about this match up is to knock puff away from you and charge your shot. 90% of what I do vs puff is zone them out, rack up damage, then go for some sort of hard nair, fsmash, dsmash or something that knocks puff far away from me, and just charge the shot. will almost never edge guard puff, so theres no reason to spam missiles or anything, she can get around them too easily. If you have a shot, and recognize where shes going as shes coming back on stage, you can try to shot her as **** touches the ground to refresh jumps.

Another thing is that I normally go for weak missiles. puff can get around power missiles easily with her mobility but weak ones follow her and put a little bit more pressure to avoid them.

Another thing is that nair is super good vs puff. if shes coming from above you, depending on the spacing you can flat out beat anything shes going to throw at you with a good nair

Last thing, almost never grab. Its simply not worth it cause missing it is a guarenteed rest

Top Bottom