• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Currently Best Olimar Player?

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
I was wandering in SWF when this question just popped out of nowhere in my head. I'm actually quite curious of who is the current best Olimar player as I don't know very much about players internationally or tournaments. NC Echo seems to be one of the best until now...

Feel free to post any vids or proposals on who is the best Olimar player in your opinion ;) .

hardcore

Smash Cadet
I guess NC-Echo is the only one, in my opinion, that's proved him/herself. I'd love to watch other videos, though.

asob4

Smash Champion
for two local tournaments, i placed high with oli, 4th and 5th respectively
some of the competition there was teba, rofl, lee puff, jizzanator, BoA, and creepy fingers. pretty much the whole palmdale crew lol there was also another olimar there who beat me but i made it further
just saying lol
EDIT: i'll hopefully have some vids up within the next week

Fino

Smash Master
With no stats board or anything, I don't think there's a qualitative way to say hey, this is the best Olimar ever. Tournaments can say somethings, but I typically don't do more than local tournaments, so for all I know I could be the best, but it would never be recognized.
Not saying I am. That would be ridiculous of course. I'm am still, by far, learning Olimar's potential, but as of now I've only been beat by select few online (of course against those who are naturally good against Olimar). I'm still a learner right now.
But in my opinion, I guess echo is really the only noticed Olimar player as of right now, but having a head start with the japanese version definatly made that easier.

~Fino

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Why did this question come to you?

Finding the best Olimar isn't possible yet. Until I see MLG say that Brawl is going to be competitive and there's a definite skill gap, then I think it's pointless to ask this question.

We should be discussing on how to make Olimar EVEN better at the moment instead of this.

In my humble opinion.

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
Well perhaps this question was more of "Who is the best Olimar player you have seen or in your opinion" Instead of the actual Best Olimar PLayer EVER.
I made this thread because I wanted to see who other real good pikmin players are out there, and, I actually hoped from someone to post a video to see their game. I am sorry if this thread irritated you in any way, because obviously that is not it's purpose.

Let me reformulate my question to everyone:
Who is the best Olimar player you have seen?
(Vids are highly appreciated ;) )

Sprinkle

Smash Rookie
DSF is an Olimar player, so my vote goes to him. There are some videos of him on Gimpy's channel on youtube. KishPrime has a really good Olimar too, but no videos of him.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen DSF and Echo... I like Echo's playstyle more than DSF, but that's just my opinion.

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
DSF has much more of an advance playstyle, though we both still suffer from metaknights lol (right now atleast) but I think that dsf could develope his olimar alittle better to make it as much efficent as he can as he barely used any Usmashed during the match, and his avoidance toward combos was odd, but with metaknight, I doubt that combos are effective enough to get through before he retaliates.

I want to face him to see whose olimar is better, cause I think mines is right now.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
To be blunt, I'm not impressed with DSF's Olimar. I'm not the Best Olimar player, but I don't have to be the best in order to see the shortcomings of DSF's Olimar.

So far, my favorite Olimar player, that I've seen, is Luco. His videos can be seen here: http://youtube.com/user/Magzillas

Luco doesn't have a perfect Olimar, either, but I like the decisions he makes within his battles.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I want to face him to see whose olimar is better, cause I think mines is right now.
If you use Olimar to fight DSF's Olimar, and you win, that doesn't necessarily mean your Olimar is better. It just means that you might be better at fighting other Olimars than DSF is. Does that make sense? So in order to directly compare your Olimar with his, you have to add in a third factor, such as a third player who uses a different character other than Olimar. Then, each of you has to fight that third person. The only way to see which Olimar is better is to compare their performances against the same third party. An Olimar vs. Olimar fight between you and DSF isn't enough to show that your Olimar is better than his.

A good way to show that your Olimar is better than DSF's, is for both of you to participate in the same tournament. So, if both of you used Olimar throughout the entire tournament, and you were ranked higher in the tournament than he was, then you can say that your Olimar is better. Both of you fought the same opponents, and you ended up with a higher rank, so this means that your Olimar is better, theoretically.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Eh it's a tad bit early to be deciding the best of whatever character at the moment. I mean I could come in here and tell you I placed top 25 at Final Round, placed 9th in a recent tourny with 50+ attendants, and placed 9th in the SE Region Smash Wars Tournament, but that doesn't really mean anything does it? Nor does me saying I've beaten plenty of top players on the Smash Brawl Ranings including Hylian, Tapion, and Rice (though Rice is a chill friend, and we never rank match... we only friendly) right?

My point being... let's give it some time (months, especially when the largest tournies start really popping up)... some people even may end up changing over to Olimar and suddenly decimate with him. Some people may leave Olimar for a different character. *shrugs*

So until then, I don't have an opinion on best olimar due to the above stated reasons.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
also, unless more videos of DSF were made other than the gimpy ones, you also have to realize that that was a very short time after brawl was released in japan, so chances are his olimar has improved since then.

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet
I haven't seen any good Olimar player except DSF and echo. Even so, there's still much room for improvement.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Three comments:

1) Too early, along with those other annoying passive aggressive guru type answers I'm of the exact same opinion, 99% of us haven't even played each other in a live match, and there certainly hasn't been time for any major development culminated by massive tournaments pulling all in to really show who is who.

2) Our video section SUCKS. Not a crack at anyone involved in it or who have videos listed there, but honestly the most intense match you can find in there of good play is Echo's 2 days BEFORE NA release. I remember being awed when I saw it, having to watch it again to catch everything that he does this that and everything else, but if you go back and look at them now, they are pretty silly, seem unrefined a little slow and well just plain Old. Point of all this, we couldn't really know who is good from videos we have right now if our lives depended on it. Maybe none of us can record good games. Maybe none of us are interested enough in making the effort to get good games up there. Maybe most people here actually suck. I don't know the reason, but the videos don't prove anything anymore, this is something i've wanted to rant about for a while, but our entire community needs to make an effort to put up new stuff. Honestly if you told me Echo and DSF hadn't improved their Olimar one bit since those videos, I'd be about as scared of them as I would a computer player. Fortunately I know Echo has improved and kept playing, DSF is also playing very well but is not maining Olimar any longer at least so he said in a random chance encounter with him on GB. So honestly, nobody has proven anything thats youtube or whatever linked to this forum that i've seen.

3) Online play. For anyone not familiar with competative gaming let me help out your perspective a little. Ask yourself, why would big tournaments that are held in high esteem and mean basically everything in a community all held at a location? Think about it, the MLG (major league gaming) holds events across the country requiring you to go there to play. The connected Online stuff is done with Game Battles, which honestly, isn't impressive, they just don't put a ton of time into it. Basically Online gaming is largely inferior to live play. Namely for the lag, competition at the highest level is so precise that hardly noticeable lag is actually a huge deal. Certain match-ups and play styles thrive in this lag, many others fail miserably. Both players have to play in lag sure, but the amounts vary as well. Basically, online playing is fun, a novelty and with a great connection can be awesome practice. However, if you took 100 competative brawlers and held an online tournament, and then a live tournament, your crazy if you think the results would be all that comparable. So yeah, we can all play each other online and find out who the top players are that way, but honestly, its not going to be as good a representation as many people think.

So, until were getting some consistent results from solid tournaments, and/or some great videos of your matches, no ones a top olimar player. If you want to be, go get us the evidence. Echo and DSF did, and WERE the top Olimar players a month ago. Sure that helps the opinion of them now, but honestly its been so long since anything worthwhile proving anything has made it to these boards, this thread should probably die off from inactivity unless some people really start putting some stuff up.

-True

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet
Three comments:

1) Too early, along with those other annoying passive aggressive guru type answers I'm of the exact same opinion, 99% of us haven't even played each other in a live match, and there certainly hasn't been time for any major development culminated by massive tournaments pulling all in to really show who is who.

2) Our video section SUCKS. Not a crack at anyone involved in it or who have videos listed there, but honestly the most intense match you can find in there of good play is Echo's 2 days BEFORE NA release. I remember being awed when I saw it, having to watch it again to catch everything that he does this that and everything else, but if you go back and look at them now, they are pretty silly, seem unrefined a little slow and well just plain Old. Point of all this, we couldn't really know who is good from videos we have right now if our lives depended on it. Maybe none of us can record good games. Maybe none of us are interested enough in making the effort to get good games up there. Maybe most people here actually suck. I don't know the reason, but the videos don't prove anything anymore, this is something i've wanted to rant about for a while, but our entire community needs to make an effort to put up new stuff. Honestly if you told me Echo and DSF hadn't improved their Olimar one bit since those videos, I'd be about as scared of them as I would a computer player. Fortunately I know Echo has improved and kept playing, DSF is also playing very well but is not maining Olimar any longer at least so he said in a random chance encounter with him on GB. So honestly, nobody has proven anything thats youtube or whatever linked to this forum that i've seen.

3) Online play. For anyone not familiar with competative gaming let me help out your perspective a little. Ask yourself, why would big tournaments that are held in high esteem and mean basically everything in a community all held at a location? Think about it, the MLG (major league gaming) holds events across the country requiring you to go there to play. The connected Online stuff is done with Game Battles, which honestly, isn't impressive, they just don't put a ton of time into it. Basically Online gaming is largely inferior to live play. Namely for the lag, competition at the highest level is so precise that hardly noticeable lag is actually a huge deal. Certain match-ups and play styles thrive in this lag, many others fail miserably. Both players have to play in lag sure, but the amounts vary as well. Basically, online playing is fun, a novelty and with a great connection can be awesome practice. However, if you took 100 competative brawlers and held an online tournament, and then a live tournament, your crazy if you think the results would be all that comparable. So yeah, we can all play each other online and find out who the top players are that way, but honestly, its not going to be as good a representation as many people think.

So, until were getting some consistent results from solid tournaments, and/or some great videos of your matches, no ones a top olimar player. If you want to be, go get us the evidence. Echo and DSF did, and WERE the top Olimar players a month ago. Sure that helps the opinion of them now, but honestly its been so long since anything worthwhile proving anything has made it to these boards, this thread should probably die off from inactivity unless some people really start putting some stuff up.

-True
Qft man. Before I even mained Olimar, I was using Lucas online. The lag was terrible, I lost since I couldn't shorthop that precise, air dodge, sidestep and all that good stuff.

Yes, it might be too early since some ppl have yet to play Brawl or discovered Olimar as their main.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
What do you mean, "hardly noticeable lag"? The lag in wifi couldn't be more obvious to me. TVs sometimes have hardly noticeable lag, that lots of players (including myself) will notice, but wifi is just awful for lag.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Hmm Rapid Assassin sorry to hear you've never had a game in green or blue color connection before. The red and yellow are i agree downright awful, green and blue (which may be actual lan, i've never seen blue at least) are manageable but its just the nature of anything online, there is going to be an existing delay required for the transfer of that much information in attempted real time. I'm in no way trying to say that green is good enough to really take much away from practice wise or result wise, but i will defend it that the few green games i've had were in fact enjoyable, by which i mean i wasn't so frustrated with the delay on every move i attempted that i could actually simply accept it and have a fun, although less competative, match.

-True

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
I get always green connections, even when playing in the other four boroughs of NYC. And the input lag is always noticeable, even if I host and we DON'T play on Lylat.

For that reason I don't think I'm gonna be playing input-crucial characters like Olimar or Lucas on Wifi.

Regarding best Olimar, while I agree with True on his entire post, I'd be willing to wager that I'm a better Olimar than DSF, but that's such a highly flawed statement to begin with. For one, if we had the chance to settle it, how would we? A ditto? Olimar dittoes are HORRIBLE matches for both parties. Regardless of your playstyle, in every Olimar ditto I've ever done to prove to someone I'm a better Olimar I either camp too much and completely abandon my normal playstyle or I don't camp enough and get beaten. So in essence the question of who is the best Olimar, regardless of opinion, would be incredibly hard to effectively prove.

That being said, I think when comparing the playstyles and their overall effect on winning matches, I feel like I'm a better player than DSF. Not Echo. I feel like Echo's playstyle far exceeds mine in the sense of actual smart playing. I'm not the smartest Olimar. >_>

Everyone should know that I have a long and credible history of not being "that guy," the guy who johns constantly and constantly proclaims himself the best **** player ever, even when all signs point to arrogance. I take very little pride in just about anything I do... except my Olimar. >_>

I'd also nominate Starzonedge as potential as the smartest Olimar. Though I only have two of his matches up on my Youtube account, I can tell you that he is one of the hardest Olimars to read and is very effective in utilizing Olimar's entire repertoire.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
I am. Bold am I? yes, wait till you see the videos i upload (i don't own the game, but i play with my friend and other competeives all the time). My Olimar is AMAZING

Top Bottom