• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Current goal of Project M, and what I feel like it should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandoro

Smash Rookie
Project M's motto and goal in creating the game was to make brawl play like melee and make the characters feel the same. I have come to realization that this is a flawed outlook on making the game. Instead of trying to make the characters feel like melee as much as possible, the developers should try to make project M a unique game, using the mechanics and things that were great in melee - but not copying it. I feel like it might be already to late for this though, and it doesn't really appeal to people who play melee already. I think the outlook above is flawed because characters like ganondorf and roy could be so much more unique, instead of being semi clones. Ganondorf could have a sword and have a projectile and not play like captain falcon for example and the developers could try to create rich characters with flaws and weaknesses instead of simply trying to make them play like melee, but buffed so they are viable. Thoughts?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Project M's motto and goal in creating the game was to make brawl play like melee and make the characters feel the same. I have come to realization that this is a flawed outlook on making the game. Instead of trying to make the characters feel like melee as much as possible, the developers should try to make project M a unique game, using the mechanics and things that were great in melee - but not copying it. I feel like it might be already to late for this though, and it doesn't really appeal to people who play melee already. I think the outlook above is flawed because characters like ganondorf and roy could be so much more unique, instead of being semi clones. Ganondorf could have a sword and have a projectile and not play like captain falcon for example and the developers could try to create rich characters with flaws and weaknesses instead of simply trying to make them play like melee, but buffed so they are viable. Thoughts?
There motto has never been to be a 1:1 copy of Melee, instead they work off of Melee and the better aspects of Brawl to create a completely different and more competitive experience.

Dandoro

Smash Rookie
There motto has never been to be a 1:1 copy of Melee, instead they work off of Melee and the better aspects of Brawl to create a completely different and more competitive experience.
Then why do they try to make the characters feel the same as they were in melee?

Vashimus

Smash Master
Well if Project M is nothing more than a worse Melee to you, than just play Melee?

Last edited:

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
You brought up Ganon with a sword, plus you're suggesting changing the fundametal goal of Project M (which you don't even seem to fully understand). Why do I feel like this thread is doomed to being locked?

Fortress

Smash Master
Then why do they try to make the characters feel the same as they were in melee?
They don't. PM Sheik =/= Melee Sheik. PM Link =/= Melee Link. It's a totally new environment these characters have been placed in. Even if Fox in PM is a carbon copy of his Melee self, the game he's in makes him a totally different character.

Quit playing PM like it's Melee. Plz. Just stahp.

Not to me, it's regarded as that by most of the smash community.
That's why PM had a larger presence than Brawl at APEX 2014, right? And why it's a primary event where Brawl is a side event at NW Majors VI, right? That's why the game's playerbase has grown exponentially and surpassed a 'main' game in the series in major tournament events, right?

Right?

You sure showed me.

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
Yeah at the rate P:M is growing it'll swallow up Melee in a couple of years.

You really shouldn't care about what Melee fans think anyway, most of Melee's diehard fans are a bunch of deluded autists. They refuse to play a game if it's not 100% like Melee.

Fortress

Smash Master
Yeah at the rate P:M is growing it'll swallow up Melee in a couple of years.

You really shouldn't care about what Melee fans think anyway, most of Melee's diehard fans are a bunch of deluded autists. They refuse to play a game if it's not 100% like Melee.
This is an example of something completely incorrect at the other end of the spectrum; most (if not all) of the development behind PM has been possible only because of the diehard so-called 'autists' that are the Melee fanbase. PM wouldn't be here in the form that it is if it weren't for them, and I'd think it wise that everybody reading right now remember that.

What Melee players think should matter, those are players experienced in the game that PM is modeled around, moreover they are part of the same community as us; the Smash community. It's completely incorrect to just assume that PM is going to 'replace' Melee at any point in time, and even more incorrect to harbor the notion that we don't support the 'diehard' fanbase of the game. We would not be here without them.

If they refuse to play PM, for whatever reason (it shouldn't matter what reason), then that's perfectly acceptable. PM isn't their game of choice, just as Brawl isn't our game of choice. Saying something like "they refuse to play PM because it's not Melee" is a pretty unfair thing to throw at Melee players; of course they're going to stick to what they prefer. I can't see any of us going to Brawl after all, it not being our game of choice.

tl;dr Get along so that I can continue to binge-watch all six seasons of Clone Wars this weekend.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
PM is fine. We've got a diverse cast of 41 characters, noone plays exactly alike. Even if there are clones they're all very different. PM's fanbase only grows, so they've been doing something right.
And I hope this thread doesn't lead to a Canondorf argument.

Kati

Smash Lord
I liked this until you brought up Ganon. Ganon and Falcon are not similar. Maybe Ganon just wants to punch people? maybe he knows that this is a stress free environment and would rather choke someone than put an effort into pulling off magic stuff.

Roy is quite diffferent from Marth now too. Do yourself a favour and drop the "clone" mentality.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Do people just not see the differences between clones? Even before i played competitively i new clones were different, and that their moves only looked the same

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
@ Dandoro Dandoro , this is a fairly dead-end conversation that has been mentioned numerous times before. For more information, I'd suggest searching around the board for older topics, but if you want to discuss it further, please just take it to the Social Thread.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom