• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Curious about backup/ second characters

c3gill

Smash Ace
I am curious about everyone else who mains Lucas- who do yall use as a 2nd, and why?

As of recently I have been using Link, who was my 2nd in SSBM- and I am fairly decent with him, but he doesnt cover Lucas' weaknesses nearly as well as he covered Ness' in Melee. I am trying to decide on a main 2nd, to replace Link.

Kirby, G&W, and MK seem to be my best bets. I am leaning towards Kirby, as I am not very good with MK or G&W, but I want to cover my big losses- Wario, Falco, G&W, DK and Marth (i am comfortable using Lucas against Snake and MK). Any suggestions? thoughts? What do others who main Lucas use? Any and all advice is welcome, I am trying to improve my all-around game with this. Thanks!

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
(i am comfortable using Lucas against Snake and MK).
Same. :)

I second Kirby and Luigi.....
Lucas bad matchups are all top tiers. So maybe MK would be good? I suggest Kirby though, he is high tier and doesn't have much mains compared to other high tiers. Besides, Kirby's awesome. :chuckle:

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
*shrug* Just as we can't tell you who to main, we can't tell you who to second, either...

I use :mario2: for Toon Link and Marth, and :sonic: for Mr. Game & Watch. Cape helps me deal with Toon Link's projectiles, and I find spacing easier with his back air. The matchup's not perfect, but I'm just saying using Mario helps a great deal. Marth almost seems easy with Mario compared to Ness/Ryuka. :laugh: It's one of those fights I just can't win.

You're gonna hafta figure out who works best. G'luck.

Levitas

the moon
MK is your safest bet, but I do best backing my lucas up with marth, as you can get farther if you know marth fairly well than if you know MK fairly well. As in, if you play MK, you'd better know all of his matchups, because everyone knows how to fight MK.

DeadlyRed3Dawg

Smash Rookie
I use yoshi and wario.yoshi ever since ssb and wario cuz i just like wario. not to mention both characters are pretty good when i use em.

Zephron

Smash Ace
As of recently I have been using Link, who was my 2nd in SSBM- and I am fairly decent with him, but he doesnt cover Lucas' weaknesses nearly as well as he covered Ness' in Melee. I am trying to decide on a main 2nd, to replace Link.
I actually alt Link and Ness, but also use Samus for fun. Link can be pretty good for G&W if you can really abuse and be aware of how great his range is.

Marth does sound good, but I've tried using him and I just fail. I dont want to use MK... so I'm pretty much just using Link.

Irsic

Smash Ace
I secondary Diddy Kong, he's tough to beat even when you do know how to fight him.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I use Snake against Game and Watch and occasionally for others just for fun.

Recently I've been using the Ice Climbers just for fun. I applaud Ice Climbers mains because some of those chaingrabs and desyncs are really hard to do in real matches.

I've used just about every character at one time or another atleast for friendlies if nothing else.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Best secondaries to use are actually in Lucas' Deadly 4
(G&W, MK, Marth, and DK)

I second Zelda, Ike, Sonic, ZSS, MK, and G&W

Zelda, ZSS, and Sonic to beat MK
MK to beat G&W and Marth
Sonic and Ike to beat DK
G&W can pretty much handle anyone Lucas cant handle

Neon Ness

nobody should even bother 2 have lucas as a main.
Away with you, scrub.

Man, I really should play lil cj sometime. He uses so many characters that I need experience against... specifically :metaknight:. At one point in time I thought about picking up Mr. Game & Watch, but for some reason I decided against it... I should look into that again...

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
counters all.

But uh, I'd go with G&W.
Decent aerials, powerful smashes, bucket braking, that stupid judgment.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
lol i can take a joke

anyway, about g+w...i used him yesterday in a match. his nair is like lucas' on steroids.
i like bucket braking. it's so easy to do and it pisses people off that they cant ko g+w and ridiculously high percents.

i think from now on, i'm going to talk like MaxfireXSA.

Do you guys like Mr. Game and Watch? Because if you do, you can do alot of damage in the of 'Super Smash Bros. Brawl'

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, it's hard to punish experienced players. You can usually mindgame a bad player into a dsmash, since it hits 3 times.
I find my hardest matchup to be against Marth.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's hard to punish experienced players.
Agreed.... BUT, and its a big but, getting a nice spike off a bair on an opponent after screwing around with PKT on someone who you know is a great player makes Lucas totally worth it. All that work i put into learning Lucas and his ATs and cool tricks, and it is for that one moment that MK goes flying almost straight downwards, Its all good. its the lucas-gasm, just as good as the real thing.

r u guys dumb? lucas do not suck! ya probably do not know how 2 use him!
yea i did my homework-one of these is definatly wrong- but that you wrote both of them makes you look like a ******* and shows that you possess a forked tongue, merely typing what suits your thoughts at the moment without a second thought. I am just going to assume incompitence on your part and never bother reading anything you write again. In a polite way, go enjoy a round of sexual intercourse with yourself.

but back to the topic, i noticed some people are just listing their 2nds. The point of this thread was to explain WHY you use your 2nd, and its strong points against the characters that lucas generally has a tough time with. Ideally this thread would be useful not just for me in replacing Link, but for all Lucas mains who are undecided on a 2nd....

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
yea i did my homework-one of these is definatly wrong- but that you wrote both of them makes you look like a ******* and shows that you possess a forked tongue, merely typing what suits your thoughts at the moment without a second thought. I am just going to assume incompitence on your part and never bother reading anything you write again. In a polite way, go enjoy a round of sexual intercourse with yourself.
why so serious? he was joking.
but i like how you stick up for lucas:laugh:

but back to the topic, i noticed some people are just listing their 2nds. The point of this thread was to explain WHY you use your 2nd, and its strong points against the characters that lucas generally has a tough time with. Ideally this thread would be useful not just for me in replacing Link, but for all Lucas mains who are undecided on a 2nd....
i dont hav a main. i use whoever feels right for the situation.
but out of all the characters i use, my lucas knowlege is the best.
also, the lucas boards hav some pretty good people, so i like to be here :)

but that still doesnt really answer the question.
so lets say i'm having trouble with Metaknight- i'll switch from lucas, to zelda. my reason: because her neutral B and her downsmash really help me out. i

Irsic

Smash Ace
No, he's just saying that because a lot of us Lucas mains use that as a defense to people who don't know anything about Lucas.

He obviously thinks he's clever.

PKFire pisses off Tornado spammers so bad, I love it. It's the best when you beat a tornado with PKFire and then they immediately tornado again and you just PKFire it again...it's lolworthy.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
No, he's just saying that because a lot of us Lucas mains use that as a defense to people who don't know anything about Lucas.

He obviously thinks he's clever.
People these days. :)
So hilarious.

There's more to Lucas than that.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Sometimes we're a little too nice.

On an additional note, G&W has been becoming easier and easier for me to beat with Lucas.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Irsic- =/

i look like a fool while trying to be nice....yet again
Well, then I guess that would mean that in a sense, you do main Lucas.
What's so bad about saying that? :)

And that's good news, Irsic.
That could mean you'll have an easier time in tournies against G&Wers that underestimate your Lucas.

I, on the other hand, still have trouble with them. I break out Ness when it comes to Game and Watch, a bold move, imo. Easier since I'm not tempted to spam PK Fire.

Neon Ness

c3gill scares meh.

I find Mario better for Marth because approaching is easier. Approcahing Marth with Lucas is... :dizzy: Fireballs help me get close and start them up air/up tilt chains, boi. Also, guarding the edge is easier with FLUDD, back air, and Fireballs, as well. Edgeguarding with PK Freeze/Thunder is tough for me for some reason, most likely because of a lack of experience. A-so, no grab release.

Irsic

Smash Ace
...Approaching Marth is generally in the trickery. Wavebounced PK fires, apporoaching from above, or JC Magnet reversals...there's a lot of different ways to do it.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I find approaching Marth fairly easy, it's being just in range for a tipper.
Ness can handle fair to fair, but Lucas has short legs, so fairxfair won't work.

Zapjump to dair seems to confuse them.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
Well, then I guess that would mean that in a sense, you do main Lucas.
What's so bad about saying that? :)
:laugh:
i meant that i try to be nice to people who act like ******* on the internet
i wouldnt be ashamed about repping lucas; i love lucas=]

Irsic- does marths utilt and u-air override our d-air?

:094: represent

c3gill

Smash Ace
I scare me too, but i appreciate your advice and input on Mario.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
I second Marth, as he covers G&W and MK fairly easy. Marth isn't really that hard of a matchup for me. Once you've got the spacing down, it's more like 65:35 instead of 70:30 Marth.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I second Marth, as he covers G&W and MK fairly easy. Marth isn't really that hard of a matchup for me. Once you've got the spacing down, it's more like 65:35 instead of 70:30 Marth.
I also second Marth, but not by choice. :(

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I don't think I have a single secondary. I jump around between Dedede, R.O.B., Ness, and Game & Watch. Plus a few more, but those four are the only ones I feel I'm good enough with to make it worth changing characters. That, and I don't think Ness covers any of Lucas's bad matchups. I just use him since I did in 64/Melee. My friend notes that I tend to gravitate towards characters with good aerial control. I want to get good with Zelda, Samus, Olimar, and Lucario as well.

I'm not sure if any of the above actually made sense.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Hard to... master? You've got to be joking.
You can watch any Marth guide, and you'll always know to fair - fair - fsmash - dtilt.

Top Bottom