• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS CSS Remembers Your Color Selection?

Chakra-X

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this has already been covered (if it has, a mod can close this), but I have been playing the demo for over 8 hours of total gameplay time so far, and I always play as the "Fire" Mario color. I went to boot up the Demo and went to select Mario, and he is automatically set to the color. All the other CPU selections are set to Random so it's not like the original is selected already. Has anyone else encountered this, especially on the full game? I personally think it's awesome it remembers what you preferred costume is, a nice bit of polish to the user experience.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Yeah! I booted up my demo again and went to select Link and BAM. He was purple. Juuuuuuuust how I like him cx<

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I love how Pink Villager is automatically selected when I hover Villager's icon on the CSS :) It is my favorite little touch in Smash 4 so far.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Love this function. Though there should be an option to turn it off for those who are bothered by it. :)

Now I can have F!Robin as the default color~ (almost)

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
It's an excellent feature to the game that's for sure! Makes navigating the CSS that much faster so you can get straight into some matches.

Khao

Smash Lord
This kinda makes me want that the actual icon of the character changed too once you choose a recolor.

It's probably taking it too far for some people, but I'd like it.

Chakra-X

Smash Cadet
I hope it's the same for Custom Movesets. If that is the case, it really feels like the game is trying to tailor to your personality. If I go to the character selection screen, and a black (shiny) Greninja with custom specials is sitting there waiting for me, it makes that fighter feel more "mine"...Kind of like Pokemon haha

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I like it, but if the Wii U version has the same feature, we're going to be having some problems. It fits the 3DS because it's your own, personal device, but a home console really shouldn't have this feature.

I'm really feeling it, though! I just set my defaults for all the characters so I don't need to scroll through them.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This should be featured in more games (as an option). After seeing this and knowing how whiny people get, I can see people complaining about the milliseconds players take to select a costume or color in future fighting games.

Scenario: Player 1 picks default Ryu in Street Fighter V. Player 2 picks Cammy with an alt costume. Audience screams Player 2 is wasting time, therefore stalling, therefore should be disqualified. :p

I just hope people pick more interesting colors in games... I hate seeing people picking the dark, black costumes to be all spy, cool, and edgy. Sure, Dark Link's cool and all and now we have a Fierce Deity Link costume, but it's sure going to be annoying to fight them over and over. Where's Goron tunic Link and Skyward Sword, "I tattooed by civilian clothing on my tunic" tunic Link? Funny how people hate Dark Pit, the obviously more edgy and cooler Pit.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
good function and the way it works makes it so random will never take your character and color combo if you go to the demo and try doing a group match by yourself with 3 npc's set to random then when you hover over characters and cycle through there colors youll know exactly who the random npcs are by who isnt showing up

untested but im assuming it also removes the same color glitch, so thats kinda a bummer

Last edited:

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I love this new feature
Blue yoshi 4Evah!
Also I really like Baby Blue Mario.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
One of the best small things added tbh especially for the 3DS version. Never have to worry about flipping my colors or playing with the wrong color (it matters).

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Also, random selection always picks the default color, unless it overlaps with another player.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Honestly this is my favorite new mechanic for the 3ds version

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
This is a really nice touch that I'm very happy about. :) The only other feature similar to this that I would've liked is keeping the Omega Mode pointer active on the stage select screen if your last game was played as such. No big deal, though. :)

Casey_Contra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Casey_Contra
I just hope people pick more interesting colors in games... I hate seeing people picking the dark, black costumes to be all spy, cool, and edgy. Sure, Dark Link's cool and all and now we have a Fierce Deity Link costume, but it's sure going to be annoying to fight them over and over. Where's Goron tunic Link and Skyward Sword, "I tattooed by civilian clothing on my tunic" tunic Link? Funny how people hate Dark Pit, the obviously more edgy and cooler Pit.
I agree with this, although I understand the novelty of the "dark" characters. Luckily I think there are plenty of alternatives to that (ZSS, Shulk, Meta, Ness, Villager, Olimar) where the "fun" options aren't dark.

Nakey twink Shulk all the way!

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
It's a very nice little change that I didn't expect to happen, for sure.

As someone who always plays as Zora Tunic Link for example, it's really nice just to hover over Link and the glorious blue is waiting there for me. Took me some time to get used to the "I now don't have to press X 2 times to get to it", but that's just me being nitpicky.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Now that I think about it, I might use this to have NES ROB as the makeshift default color.

Top Bottom