• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cruel Melee, Getting 5 kills

Krekko

Smash Apprentice
Ive been trying to get 5 kills in Cruel Brawl for the challenge, but I'm having a really hard time. I thought this would be alot easier, but they don't seem to get KO'd as easy as melee. I've been using Marth. spamming F-Smash, and Fair when recovering. I tried to use Kirby/Metaknight and just playing out in the air trying to get them to suicide. I also tried using heavy characters for the Super armor, but nothing has worked out.

Its getting extremely frustrating since the only thing that doesn't KO you is a very weak attack, even as a heavy. Any help would be appreciated.

mmmmmmmchips

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to do this as well, and the most I've gotten was one, as Ike. His forward B from offstage works decently, they don't block it and you can hit them all at the same time, but after a few I normally get one shot in the end lag of the move.

kooky

Smash Cadet
i read a thread here some time ago and this guys said he got way more than 5 kills mith meta knight. He was just hanging on the edge and dropping down, then stalling some place shortly above oblivion by repeatly jumping and if he couldnÄt jump anymore he used up b to recover. he said the enemys would just suicide by trying to kick your ***.
Dunno if it works but worth a try, isn't it?

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
5 is pretty easy, 10 is hard.
Choose Marth
Game starts. Immediatly hog the ledge. Drop off and stall for as long as you can, the Alloys will follow you down after a little while, then you up B, hitting them, they will they double jump and you can drop off, fair, and Up B back. Basically, you're trying to hog the edge as much as you can while gimping the alloys by Fairing them after they double jump.

Green are the hardest to kill (5 jumps) red will kill you the most, yellow and blue are a joke and easily killed.
Good luck

susu_atari

Smash Ace
I got 15 no problem with Ike, with a bit of AI abuse.

Hang off the edge of the stage, jump up and hold away from the edge. With any luck, none of them will land a hit before you get away.

Get yourself quite far out, being lower than the stage, then use your midair jump to get underneath the ledge and use Aether to get back to hanging on the ledge.

A lot of the time the dumb AI will follow you too far off the ledge, and due to the non-flinching frames at the start of the move, these enemies won't be able to deal knockback, and you'll get safely back to the ledge while their lack of recovery causes them to fall to their death!

Aether can also spike them on the way down, so occasionally you'll be able to kill a few of them directly if they're hanging around off the ledge when you recover.

Good luck!

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
Not to sound arrogant, but getting 5 wasn't that hard with Ness. Maybe it is because of massive time i have put into practicing aim but it was a simple case of repeatedly jumping off the edge and PKT2 back into the waiting alloys. They take 20%+ and enough knockback so you can recover and be prepared to jump off again. They rarely came out to get me, and if they did they would just get hit sooner than the rest. The only real problem is that timing and staggering gets thrown off when too many new ones start to spawn.(btw, it took me 2 attempts to get 5 kills)

Dana Crysalis

Smash Rookie
I got 8 so far with Peach (working on my 10) by jumping off the stage, letting them gather at the edge, then abusing Peach Bomber to hit them and bounce back out of reach. Peach Bomber is really, really effective on a lot of AI things, even bosses.

Xarias

Smash Journeyman

Hang off the edge of the stage, jump up and hold away from the edge. With any luck, none of them will land a hit before you get away.

Get yourself quite far out, being lower than the stage, then use your midair jump to get underneath the ledge and use Aether to get back to hanging on the ledge.

A lot of the time the dumb AI will follow you too far off the ledge, and due to the non-flinching frames at the start of the move, these enemies won't be able to deal knockback, and you'll get safely back to the ledge while their lack of recovery causes them to fall to their death!

Aether can also spike them on the way down, so occasionally you'll be able to kill a few of them directly if they're hanging around off the ledge when you recover.

Good luck!
This worked for me, after some trial and error to figure out the method, and then just a little luck. I ended up with 19 KOs.

One thing not mentioned though, is that you can't ledge stall forever. You have to land on the stage eventually, or like the 5th Aether will fail, and won't grab the ledge no matter what. I kept dying repeatedly from this, and then I made up a plan on the spot that actually worked out well. Around the 3rd or 4td Aether, instead of aiming for the ledge, purposefully do it closer to the stage so you land on it, then as the alloys are recovering from the very short hit stun, jump across to the other side of Battlefield, air dodging constantly. Get on the ledge there and then you can continue the process, and repeat until you either have all the KOs you want/need, or you get killed.

Cort

Apple Head
Don't waste a golden hammer on it.

The method I used was using kirby and getting on the ledge, then falling down and away and up b'ing so that kirby would reach the ledge with some length to spare. This method kills the frames because as kirby comes back down they usually get pushed off and get spiked by the up b. I easily got over 20+ KOs with this method and some luck.

LastReaper

Smash Cadet
Strange, I posted a thread about how to get plenty of killz with meta knight, and I was telling to make them suicide, it worked for me. Up-Bing is good too (with meta knight ). U just have to hang down the edge by flying a bit, and when one (or some) of 'em jump off, let them go down a bit and use ur Up-B,grab the edge, drop down, use it, over and over... If u have problems go see my post about it. (I got myself over 50 kills) :p

lostsoul5673

Smash Apprentice
ive seen some snake tricks on cruel brawl, just use up+special to fly around to the edge, luring them off, but i havnt really tried it too much, its kinda hard...

Controller of Flames

Smash Rookie
Just tried everything here and finally did it with Kirby, he's probably the best with just floating then grabing the ledge with his up b.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Strange, I posted a thread about how to get plenty of killz with meta knight, and I was telling to make them suicide, it worked for me. Up-Bing is good too (with meta knight ). U just have to hang down the edge by flying a bit, and when one (or some) of 'em jump off, let them go down a bit and use ur Up-B,grab the edge, drop down, use it, over and over... If u have problems go see my post about it. (I got myself over 50 kills) :p
Link me pleasE?

Krekko

Smash Apprentice
The Ike strategy worked out really well.

I went into my first attempt and got the 5 kills I needed in about 20 seconds. The Jigglypuff/Kirby strategy looks pretty decent too, I'll probably play around with those later.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I just use the gold hammer for that one.

In my mind i though "five kill? that will take 5 seconds"

then my toon link went PHOOOOOing of the stage

golden hammer ftw

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
Its really easy. There are 3 ways I've found that can get you kills in Cruel Brawl.

1) Use Peach, float off the edge, and spam over B.

2) Use Ike. Go to the edge and grab it. Drop down, the use Aether. You'll hit everyone above you, then when you fall back down you'll grab the edge, giving you invulnerability allowing you to keep doing it without getting hurt.

3) Use Pit. Go to the edge. Then, fly under the stage to the other ledge. Keep repeating. If you can time it right you can "trick" one of the alloys into chasing after you and falling to its death. (Alternatively, you can use this method in 15 minute Brawl to stall the whole 15 minutes out withoyt taking damage.)

EDIT: lol, just realized my Pit strategy is made obsolete by the Jigglypuff one.

Coin Chaser

Smash Journeyman
i remember i used marth and jsut spammed fsmash or u tilt to get 5.....but i wasnt able to get 10 which is another challenge....my roomate found this cool trick that if u use metaknights tornado as u come back onto the stage, they fall off and immedately try to jump back on and get hit by the tornado again....and he killed 4 right off the bat

...seemed pretty easy

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
I find it easiest with Lucario. I got 10 kills with him. All I did was grab the ledge, and then I kept dropping down, and ^B'ing over and over, eventually I got 10 kills and gave up because that's all you need.

Dx-pyrohunter64

Smash Apprentice

Good luck!
t'

that's exactly what i was gonna say, it's good advice =]

HaseoToD

Smash Rookie
5 kills in Cruel Melee

I actually used Lucario for this one, it's a very interesting strategy:

Basically, what i did was, i would hang from the edge and use his quick recovery attack (where he climbs up and slams his palms forward) while they were all near the edge, go back on the edge, and repeat.

Plenty of Edgehogging, and some lucky footstool jumps later, I killed 12 of them before dying :)

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I used Jiggs and flew under the stage to get to each edge. They suicided, until I screwed up and died.

Oh well. I got 6 kills.

This worked great for 15-min melee too.

Kalitalis

Smash Rookie
Using Lucas, I got 14 kills easy.

Match starts, hog the edge. Drop down and PK-Thunder to sweet spot the ledge. Rinse and repeat. Lucas' PKT has surprising knockback and goes through people, making it easy to do continuously.

quinn95

Smash Journeyman
A good strategy is to use Ike and use his up b and keep grabing the edge.

Tycho X

Smash Rookie
Use Ike. Grab on the ledge. Hop off ledge until you're at the very bottom of the stage. Use his up B. And repeat. The highest I got with this was 8 kills.

XxLunar_KnightxX

Smash Rookie
got seven by spamming ness's pk thunder and fire and lots of ledge hogging. got fifteen when co-op with an ike using Tycho X's stretegy

Rejjae

Smash Apprentice
Use Ganon:

Drop from ledge, double jump into a U-air, then B-up (B-up hits them through the stage right before it grabs the ledge, I got 12 kills before someone's attack hit me through the floor

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
Use Ganon:

Drop from ledge, double jump into a U-air, then B-up (B-up hits them through the stage right before it grabs the ledge, I got 12 kills before someone's attack hit me through the floor
this works very well. may take a few tries but it makes these cruel brawl achievements easy

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
I used the good old fashioned Kirby Stone method.
Took a while (like half an hour) of trying, but worked pretty well soon enough.

That Final Cutter edgehog method worked wonders for 15 Minute Brawl :chuckle:

Namiel

Smash Cadet
If you're really having trouble, use Pit to bait them into chasing you off the edge and dying. You can jump under the stage to the other edge if you're you're really pressured. I got six that way. My brother and I got nine in co-op (Marth and Ike), but we just can't get ten.

kingbooforums

Smash Apprentice
OMG i got 5 with ike! just spam his B up and you should just keep grabbing the ledge.......now for 10!

Young_Link808

Smash Apprentice
this is so easy just use pit make them follow you off the edge and from that edge jump 3 times and up+b under the stage to go to the other edge keep doing this i got 10 kills off of that

P.S. thats how i did 15min brawl instead i didn't let them follow me

Top Bottom