• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CRT wiring question

GenNyan

Smash Ace
So I currently have 2 melee setups in my house, one on a CRT, and one on a flatscreen (Both are gamecubes). I want to move the flatscreen setup to another CRT, but the wires connecting it to the flatscreen are the triple red/white/yellow ones and there are no ports for them on the CRT that I want to use. There is only that single hole-thingie in the back.

Note: My other setup already on a CRT uses a Nintendo AF switch, though when I looked it up on amazon, the description said it only works for NES/SNES, not Gamecube. Not sure if mine is a different model or the FAQ is wrong.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Every Nintendo system from NES to Gamecube use the same RF adapter. The NES connects directly to the adapter via an RCA jack, and the other systems all use the same AV connector that can also take an RF converter that has the RCA output on it. If you have one of those adapters and converters, it should work on any TV with a screw-in coaxial cable input. If both TVs only have co-ax, then you'll need another one of those adapters, or go to like Radio Shack or Target and buy a generic one that takes the red-white-yellow RCA plugs and converts to co-ax like the Nintendo adapter.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
So I currently have 2 melee setups in my house, one on a CRT, and one on a flatscreen (Both are gamecubes). I want to move the flatscreen setup to another CRT, but the wires connecting it to the flatscreen are the triple red/white/yellow ones and there are no ports for them on the CRT that I want to use. There is only that single hole-thingie in the back.

Note: My other setup already on a CRT uses a Nintendo AF switch, though when I looked it up on amazon, the description said it only works for NES/SNES, not Gamecube. Not sure if mine is a different model or the FAQ is wrong.
Those are composite cables; a majority of CRTs in the 90's and newer have composite or component (can be interchanged), but it sounds like your CRT has either S-Video or Coax. If it's S-Video, you can get a GC cable with S-Video output for fairly cheap, and it still has a fairly good picture (comparison of composite and S-Vid). If it's Coax, you can get an RF switch for the GC, and while the signal quality isn't as good, it's still passable.

Top Bottom