• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cross- Player Character of Xenoblade Chronicles X

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
We have the default name for the guy, so I figure It makes sense to create a character discussion thread for him. Most the time when people talk about a possible character from X, they say 'Elma', but considering Robin, and the fact that this guy is still the main character, I feel Cross is more likely.

As everything else Xenoblade X we know very little about the guy, but we do know, he has a B.L.A.D.E, whitch is a device used to create your own destinies (apparently why you can customize your character). He also uses both a gun and a melee weapon, similar to all Xenoblade X character. However, unlike most, he can change his class mid battle. Considering the class changing thing, I think it wouldn't be unlikely for the stat changing thing to become part of all Xenoblade Characters.

Pictured above seems to be his default male version, since he's been used in all the promotional stuff and trailers. I imagine he would probably also have a female version.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Here's the thing. Does the character have a default design? Is that design above the default design?

If there is a default design and default name, that would probably help him get into the next Smash. I still like the idea of Elma better, but he's a definite possibility. There's still a lot of characters I'd want over a second Xenoblade character, though.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Here's the thing. Does the character have a default design? Is that design above the default design?

If there is a default design and default name, that would probably help him get into the next Smash. I still like the idea of Elma better, but he's a definite possibility. There's still a lot of characters I'd want over a second Xenoblade character, though.
Well, there is a list of "pre-sets" there, and this version is the first one.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, there is a list of "pre-sets" there, and this version is the first one.
Yeah, if this character is considered, they'd probably pick the first preset for both male and female, and use different presets for the recolors (unless the presets are too complicated of changes).

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Yeah, if this character is considered, they'd probably pick the first preset for both male and female, and use different presets for the recolors (unless the presets are too complicated of changes).
The only real problem for the alts looking at the male presets is that you can apparently change your height and build, but I imagine they'll either just say we're using the first presents build, or simply only use presents that have similar builds.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The only real problem for the alts looking at the male presets is that you can apparently change your height and build, but I imagine they'll either just say we're using the first presents build, or simply only use presents that have similar builds.
Perhaps.

Another thing that should be noted, though, is Robin wasn't specifically chosen for being a customizable character. Chrom is the main character of Awakening (although Robin is the most important plot character). Robin was chosen for originality. They may consider something like a Nopon instead. I don't really know, though, I don't know much about Xenoblade. My wife wants to get a new 3DS, so perhaps I'll be able to play it then.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
to me this would be the most likely character from x and from what weve seen so far he/she should be a good inclusion

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Perhaps.

Another thing that should be noted, though, is Robin wasn't specifically chosen for being a customizable character. Chrom is the main character of Awakening (although Robin is the most important plot character). Robin was chosen for originality. They may consider something like a Nopon instead. I don't really know, though, I don't know much about Xenoblade. My wife wants to get a new 3DS, so perhaps I'll be able to play it then.
Good point, but the way I see it, he's more of the main character then Elma, why I referenced Robin, was to say that a customizable character seems to be an option. At the very least, this guy has specific gameplay options to him, and him alone.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I would rather have Elma or even Rin ("Momonado") from Xeno X instead. Though another avatar character in Smash would please me (as long as there is a female option).

Last edited:
I'd like him as the next Xenoblade rep if there is one. Sure.

He could be like Link. A bunch of projectiles for his specials (guns, grenades, etc.), and some physical attacks with his sword for normal moves.

Last edited:

Reila

S/he could have some neat alts, but then again so could Robin, yet they preferred to give her/him color alts instead of different hair/face for alts.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It really depends on whether or not the character has decent characterization in the game (which Robin DID have, despite being an avatar character) and if Cross' final lists of arts and abilities would lend themselves to a unique character.

It's possible, but I would like to play X first to find out.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
It really depends on whether or not the character has decent characterization in the game (which Robin DID have, despite being an avatar character) and if Cross' final lists of arts and abilities would lend themselves to a unique character.

It's possible, but I would like to play X first to find out.
They have been purposefully been keeping the story from us, they even said they where in an interview i beleive

D

Deleted member

I am hyped for X, but I rather not see a character from X get in this game. I think it would make more sense in the next game where by then we will see Cross be more of an established character.
The thing with the characters with X is that they aren't established Nintendo all-stars yet. We are basically taking a character from a game that isn't out yet and putting them in here. It seems like very forced promotion to me and I know the majority of the fanbase wouldn't be pleased with his inclusion, especially when there are several characters waiting to be playable in Smash for many years.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I am hyped for X, but I rather not see a character from X get in this game. I think it would make more sense in the next game where by then we will see Cross be more of an established character.
The thing with the characters with X is that they aren't established Nintendo all-stars yet. We are basically taking a character from a game that isn't out yet and putting them in here. It seems like very forced promotion to me and I know the majority of the fanbase wouldn't be pleased with his inclusion, especially when there are several characters waiting to be playable in Smash for many years.
I agree, that both characters like Cross, and even Inklings are unlikely for DLC (unless we get DLC announced in 2016 or something), but its theoretically possible. Even if it would be strange and a little annoying.

Reila

I agree. That is, if by "characters waiting to be playable" you refer to characters from unrepresented franchises and not yet-another-rep-for-an-already-represented-series. I want the Splatoon character to be in Smash so badly, but I wouldn't mind certain franchises like Advance Wars, Golden Sun and others getting playable reps before Inkling and Elma or the Xeno X protagonist.

D

Deleted member

I agree. That is, if by "characters waiting to be playable" you refer to characters from unrepresented franchises and not yet-another-rep-for-an-already-represented-series. I want the Splatoon character to be in Smash so badly, but I wouldn't mind certain franchises like Advance Wars, Golden Sun and others getting playable reps before Inkling and Elma or the Xeno X protagonist.
I'm referring to characters from major Nintendo franchises that have yet to get a character (Advance Wars and Golden Sun come to mind) as well as certain characters like Dixie Kong and King K. Rool for example.
I know that a lot of people will be pretty miffed about this happening. I wouldn't mind seeing Cross or Inkling in the next Smash game, but putting them here as DLC now would be very forced.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I agree, that both characters like Cross, and even Inklings are unlikely for DLC (unless we get DLC announced in 2016 or something), but its theoretically possible. Even if it would be strange and a little annoying.
I think even if characters are added in 2016, they'll still just be characters from franchises that are being revived, who have already appeared before, not characters from a new and upcoming franchise. Golden Sun, Advance Wars, maybe even Panel de Pon if the series finally gets a new game, K. Rool when he's announced to return in DKC (although I could see him getting in even without it, mostlikely its probably if he's announced to return in a new game), etc.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Perhaps.

I'm strongly thinking this at the moment. The Nopon are so far the only race (that we know of) who appear in both Xenoblade games and I'm already imaging them as the mascots of Xenoblade. (like the moogles in Final Fantasy) I think it's hard to deny that the Nopon have a certain "star quality" about them.

Not to mention it would be the best of both worlds, you get a newcomer from X but at the same time the Nopon as a race have already been established in the previous game.

Depending on his popularity, I'd really be watching out for Tatsu if I was a Cross/Elma fan.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I'm strongly thinking this at the moment. The Nopon are so far the only race (that we know of) who appear in both Xenoblade games and I'm already imaging them as the mascots of Xenoblade. (like the moogles in Final Fantasy) I think it's hard to deny that the Nopon have a certain "star quality" about them.

Not to mention it would be the best of both worlds, you get a newcomer from X but at the same time the Nopon as a race have already been established in the previous game.

Depending on his popularity, I'd really be watching out for Tatsu if I was a Cross/Elma fan.
I think that games like Earthbound/FireEmblem/Xenoblade are really only ever going to get lead characters. Awakening was ofcourse a little strange because Robin, Lucina and Chrom where all pretty much equally main characters.

I mean lets use Earthbound as an example, Poo could be said to have some 'star quality', but at the same time Ness still makes more sence.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I wasn't that interested in the Xenoblade series until I saw the trailer for X in the recent Direct. I guess I'll jump in here.

I think I saw this answered already, but it's reported that you can decide the player character's "gender, shape, height, skin, color, voice, and facial tattoos." So yes, Cross has a female version. It's probably safe to assume that should he/she get into SSB4 as DLC or maybe the next Smash Bros. otherwise, then he/she will just have the default look for both male and female versions.

From what I've seen and heard, it sounds like Sakurai prefers characters that are original and (in some cases) fan favorites. I want to say that I've heard about Lucina getting in because of her popularity as a character. So while I don't know the extent of what Cross' originality/popularity as a character will be- whether for Xenoblade standards or any game's standards- I think he/she will be much more likely to get in if he/she can manage both. The popularity of the game may play a role in this too, if it sells a lot or a little, of course.

So basically, I think Cross will probably get in if enough people like him/her, and if he/she is original/distinguishable as a character. If so, he/she will likely get his/her default design. Though this might've been already said, but I guess I'm playing it safe with my predictions.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I wasn't that interested in the Xenoblade series until I saw the trailer for X in the recent Direct. I guess I'll jump in here.

I think I saw this answered already, but it's reported that you can decide the player character's "gender, shape, height, skin, color, voice, and facial tattoos." So yes, Cross has a female version. It's probably safe to assume that should he/she get into SSB4 as DLC or maybe the next Smash Bros. otherwise, then he/she will just have the default look for both male and female versions.

From what I've seen and heard, it sounds like Sakurai prefers characters that are original and (in some cases) fan favorites. I want to say that I've heard about Lucina getting in because of her popularity as a character. So while I don't know the extent of what Cross' originality/popularity as a character will be- whether for Xenoblade standards or any game's standards- I think he/she will be much more likely to get in if he/she can manage both. The popularity of the game may play a role in this too, if it sells a lot or a little, of course.

So basically, I think Cross will probably get in if enough people like him/her, and if he/she is original/distinguishable as a character. If so, he/she will likely get his/her default design. Though this might've been already said, but I guess I'm playing it safe with my predictions.
Certainly, but I guess that comes down to the game that we still know nie nothing about

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think that games like Earthbound/FireEmblem/Xenoblade are really only ever going to get lead characters. Awakening was ofcourse a little strange because Robin, Lucina and Chrom where all pretty much equally main characters.

I mean lets use Earthbound as an example, Poo could be said to have some 'star quality', but at the same time Ness still makes more sence.
I'm just imagining that if the Nopon remain a constant throughout the Xenoblade series it's going to become harder to ignore them. Not to mention their popularity and demand will be constantly growing. Also from here on out every Xenoblade protagonist loses the benefit of being the first Xenoblade protagonist, Shulk will always have that special distinction.

I don't think you can really compare Earthbound and Xenoblade, because Earthbound is a defunct series while Xenoblade is currently in it's prime with an undetermined end point.

I just don't think the Nopon should be underestimated.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I'm just imagining that if the Nopon remain a constant throughout the Xenoblade series it's going to become harder to ignore them. Not to mention their popularity and demand will be constantly growing. Also from here on out every Xenoblade protagonist loses the benefit of being the first Xenoblade protagonist, Shulk will always have that special distinction.

I don't think you can really compare Earthbound and Xenoblade, because Earthbound is a defunct series while Xenoblade is currently in it's prime with an undetermined end point.

I just don't think the Nopon should be underestimated.
True, but if final fantasy got a rep would you expect a Chocobo.
And to be fair, It wasn't a defunct franchise then.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The only issue I have with Cross being a DLC is that the Xenoblade symbol is the Monado.

Just change the Xenoblade symbol from the Monado to a stylized X instead, and we should be good.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
The only issue I have with Cross being a DLC is that the Xenoblade symbol is the Monado.

Just change the Xenoblade symbol from the Monado to a stylized X instead, and we should be good.
Honestly before Shulk was announced that made the most sence for his logo anyway. But too be fair, in X there is still that girl with the monado clip, who knows how important it is.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly before Shulk was announced that made the most sence for his logo anyway. But too be fair, in X there is still that girl with the monado clip, who knows how important it is.
Let's wait and see. Maybe the Monado can remain the Xenoblade symbol; maybe it can't, but we don't know for sure.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
What's wrong with the symbol being the Monado? The symbol for Fire Emblem is the Falchion.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well the falchion is atleast a component in most Fire Emblem games, we have no idea if the Monado is going to be a coponent in future Xenoblade games
The Falchion only appears in Marth's games (FE1, FE3 and the respective remakes, FE11 and FE12), Gaiden (FE2) and Awakening (FE13).

It only appears in little less than half the Fire Emblem games (counting remakes).

Considering how a good chunk of FE games don't have the Falchion at all yet are still represented by the symbol, I don't think it would be a stretch to see the Xenoblade series being represented by the Monado.

It would be an identical situation in which both series would be represented by the signature weapon of the first protagonist.

Anyway, I think Cross could be the next Xenoblade character, either as DLC or for the next Smash Bros. game. Of course, it would depend on the characters' abilities and what he could bring to the game. He could get the Robin treatment, by using the starting default appearance and name (as in, if the player doesn't choose to change anything at all besides gender).

Trivia: (male) Cross's Japanese voice actor is the same as Shulk's.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
The Falchion only appears in Marth's games (FE1, FE3 and the respective remakes, FE11 and FE12), Gaiden (FE2) and Awakening (FE13).

It only appears in little less than half the Fire Emblem games (counting remakes).

Considering how a good chunk of FE games don't have the Falchion at all yet are still represented by the symbol, I don't think it would be a stretch to see the Xenoblade series being represented by the Monado.

It would be an identical situation in which both series would be represented by the signature weapon of the first protagonist.

Anyway, I think Cross could be the next Xenoblade character, either as DLC or for the next Smash Bros. game. Of course, it would depend on the characters' abilities and what he could bring to the game. He could get the Robin treatment, by using the starting default appearance and name (as in, if the player doesn't choose to change anything at all besides gender).

Trivia: (male) Cross's Japanese voice actor is the same as Shulk's.
you can also get English shulks voice in the english version.

and yeah, i guess [symbol].

On the subject of moveset, I think that what i stated up the top is still my veiw on his possible moveset, although we can;t really say much untill the game is out.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
you can also get English shulks voice in the english version.
Where did you hear that? Last I heard no information had been announced regarding the English localization other than the fact that it was "Well under way." Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to know Nintendo's still interested in using Adam Howden, but as I say whenever British voice actors are brought up for this game, it would be a little weird to have British accents be prominent through the game when the White Whale is supposedly a US Arcship.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Where did you hear that? Last I heard no information had been announced regarding the English localization other than the fact that it was "Well under way." Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to know Nintendo's still interested in using Adam Howden, but as I say whenever British voice actors are brought up for this game, it would be a little weird to have British accents be prominent through the game when the White Whale is supposedly a US Arcship.
You could say the same about the japanese version in many ways. (although, that is why i watched Bacanoo dubbed)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Marth's Falchion at least looks generic enough that it could be any kind of sword. Heck, the original design of the Tyrfing is identical to Marth's Falchion.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's been awhile, but I'll post some info about this character:

According to the Xenoblade X website, your Avatar (this is FE13 all over again...) has different voices with different personalities.

A guy in the TVTropes forums has pointed me to a translation about this character creator feature, complete with a list of Japanese VAs.

What does this mean? Could Cross's different skins each have some if not all of these voices? I see it as likely as long as they recycle XBCX voices instead of demanding the whole cast to record new stuff.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Cross looks like someone punched him in the face when he was a kid. Looks all scrunched with too big of a forehead:/

All of the created Cross' have the "punched-in" look. I prefer Elma but the mid-match class changes is interesting (though technically Elma can probably do that, too >_>)

I will never understand why they didn't use the X symbol for Xenoblade. It was kind of random.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's been a while (again), but have a moveset preview:

He uses ****ing guns! I'm all for that! I want more gunners in the roster!

Top Bottom