• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crixler's Modding Endeavors

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Latest updates:
Updated my Roy with Sheath mod (as well as Master Lord Roy) to use an updated sheath texture that better matches the sword color.

[collapse=Marth]

Images - Brawl Vault - Direct Download
Based off of his FE12 appearance.
I believe this includes one more recolor than Marth's regular model has, so unless you want to overwrite regular Sigurd Marth, take note of that.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Roy]

Based off of his appearance after promoting to Master Lord in Hasha no Tsurugi, the manga side story to FE6.
Updated to include the new 3.5 sword model, and optionally also a sheath.
I personally use this as his default costume, and moved his old default to blue team. But this could also work well as a blue team replacement.

Based off of his appearance prior to promoting in FE6 and Hasha no Tsurugi, the associated manga. Mostly based on the manga, really, since the game's official art was crap.
Does not include the new 3.5 sword model or sheath.

Adds some missing trim to Roy's armor. Includes all 3.5 recolors.
This is included in all of my other Roy mods.

Includes the sexy new sword model from 3.5 AND the sheath. Pretty straightforward.
Includes all 3.5 recolors, does not include my Master Lord Roy recolor.

Does not include 3.5 sword model or sheath. Optionally includes armor texture fix.
Like the current official Smash 3 Roy, it adheres to the old Smash 3 standards. Will update whenever the official one does, assuming they don't include something like this on their own.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Charizard]

3.5 armored Charizard, with the armor recolored to more closely resemble its appearance in the movie it's based off of.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Toon Link]

PM's Pajama Toon Link with the shield from his regular costumes. Would go well with a mod that gives his regular costumes the mirror shield.
Updated Nov 28, 2014 - This should fix the error where he had a shield on his back and in his hand at all times.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Ganondorf]
Smash 3 Triforce Ganondorf
Main thread
With Calahan, Ashingda, and the Smash 3 Team. I made the new Smash 3 styled sheath texture.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Link]
The Hero's Shade (w/ sheath and stuff)
I took Kidneptune101's Hero's Shade and gave it a sheath and stuff! No more disappearing sword and shield!
[/collapse]

Cards:
So, these are a little different. You know those Smash 4 cards Nintendo's been tweeting and posting on Facebook?
I decided to copy those, but for Smash 3. I am not officially associated with the Smash 3 team.
Cards - Latest: Wolf (Smash 3)
Template download - Updated 10-24-14

Future plans:
Lots of stuff that I may or may not ever get around to finishing, let alone starting. May or may not update this section to reflect what those projects are.

Currently working on tweaking PM's OoT/Melee Ganondorf to have fewer Melee influences. More OoT and some TP influences. I plan to eventually Smash 3-ify it, as well.

Also planning to give Holy War Marth a gray cape interior and Smash 3's sword model, with a custom Tyrfing texture. I plan to eventually Smash 3-ify it, as well.

I pretty much plan to make all of this stuff available in a Smash 3 variant once the Smash 3 team finishes up the roster. In fact, there's a good chance I might stop supporting non-Smash 3 variants after that, to be honest.

How you can help:
I'm working on de-Meleeing PM's OoT/Melee Ganondorf, but have hit a bit of a wall. If you are reading this as you are good at model type stuff, then these are some things I would love assistance with:

1. Have boot cloth and gauntlet cloth load from separate textures - I want the gloves to use the texture I made, but the boots to use the original PM texture.

2. Get the lump on the top of the hands to be shaped a bit better, not use the same texture as the boot armor, and maybe have better UV. Probably make it load from the same texture as request 1. I've currently just removed the lump altogether, but that's not an ideal solution.

3. Fix UVs on upper boots so they don't warp so much. Ideally also have the shape of them altered a bit to slope more, like in OoT: http://i.imgur.com/HaNGj35.png

4. How to get cape transparency to work? Or, if that's absolutely not possible, then getting the cape model altered to be the super short rounded flap thing from early on in OoT: http://i.imgur.com/koXxLR6.png (I'm not too concerned about the different back armor design, the Melee-ish back armor he currently has is good enough imo. Unless someone good at model stuff really wants to go all the way with it, then be my guest!)

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Gonna leave these tips for you, in regards about the worries if rimlight crashes the game.

Fun facts:

The best way to learn if a model is actually rimlightable is if it has working metal mode, if metal doesn't crash the game, the model can be rimlit.

However:
If the model doesn't have metal mode, but using metal doesn't crash the game, there is a 50/50 chance the model can't be rimlit.

Rimlighting gives 0.1% extra bytes to the model if the "edge" texture is CMPR, so file size should not be a issue.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
All right, so sounds like that should be all good, then. Thanks!

So, a peek at what I'm currently working on...

Very placeholder-y at the moment. Modifying PM's OoT/Melee Ganondorf a bit, removing lots of Melee influences, and adding more influences from OoT iself, as well as TP.

Some things I'm hoping to accomplish that I have already started attempting and have yet to have success include:
Figuring out if I can make most of the cape transparent, so he can just have his tiny little flap cape he had in the first half of OoT.
Figuring out how to remove the weird little misshapen lump on the top of his hand armor that uses the boot armor texture, preventing me from adding the gold bits that are present in his OoT art.
Figuring out how to get the boot cloth to use the original texture while keeping this new one on the arm cloth. The new pattern I've started works great for the arm cloth, but not the boots. Obviously, this is a placeholder texture, anyway.

And more that I haven't even started on yet.

And now, I must sleep. Might work on this some more tomorrow.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Would it be possible for you to provide a direct link to a file sharing site for your PM 3.5 Roy model with fixed armor textures and his melee sheath? I really like the way it looks and I fear that BrawlVault might be down for a while so it'd take a while for you to upload.

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I might just put direct links up. I've been holding off because I like how Brawl Vault shows how many downloads you have, but it's taking forever for the site to come back. I suppose I'll give it one more day or so, then I'll just post direct links if it's still not up.

Edit: Update on Ganondorf

Getting close. I haven't started messing with the model at all to take care of the lump on the hands. I suppose making the gloves and boots use separate cloth textures would also technically be a model thing. I think. Same with the upper boot UV being a bit wonky - On each boot upper, you can see two stripes, of completely different proportions. They're both the same stripe on the texture, though.
Never messed with UV stuff before, so this shall be an adventure.
I also have no idea how to get transparency on the cape to work. I'm pretty sure I've seen that sort of thing done before, but maybe I'm misremembering things.

In addition to the above, I still need to de-Melee the lower boots, add some gold stuff to the sides of the knees, finish his back, and edit his shirt collar a bit.
I think that's about it.
After that's all done, I might Smash 3-ify it, and add his sword for the Triforce mod.

Edit 2:

Some more updates. All that's left is the cape, the upper boot UVs, and the boot cloth using a separate texture from the gauntlet cloth. I attempted to do the latter, but failed horribly, and I have very little confidence in my ability to mess with the UVs. I'll look into the cape a bit more. Oh, I also still need to do the spec textures, but those will come after the other stuff.

If anyone is willing to help out with the things I'm stuck on, that would be awesome!

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
First post updated with direct links to all of my mods, including a new one added to the list - Pajama Toon Link with the Hero's Shield.

Edit: Note to self: Apparently, when saving screenshots, it squishes them to 4:3. I need to rescale them afterward, I guess. No wonder my screenshots always look like crap. I'll try to remember that in the future.

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Yeah, I might just put direct links up. I've been holding off because I like how Brawl Vault shows how many downloads you have, but it's taking forever for the site to come back. I suppose I'll give it one more day or so, then I'll just post direct links if it's still not up.

Edit: Update on Ganondorf

Getting close. I haven't started messing with the model at all to take care of the lump on the hands. I suppose making the gloves and boots use separate cloth textures would also technically be a model thing. I think. Same with the upper boot UV being a bit wonky - On each boot upper, you can see two stripes, of completely different proportions. They're both the same stripe on the texture, though.
Never messed with UV stuff before, so this shall be an adventure.
I also have no idea how to get transparency on the cape to work. I'm pretty sure I've seen that sort of thing done before, but maybe I'm misremembering things.

In addition to the above, I still need to de-Melee the lower boots, add some gold stuff to the sides of the knees, finish his back, and edit his shirt collar a bit.
I think that's about it.
After that's all done, I might Smash 3-ify it, and add his sword for the Triforce mod.

Edit 2:

Some more updates. All that's left is the cape, the upper boot UVs, and the boot cloth using a separate texture from the gauntlet cloth. I attempted to do the latter, but failed horribly, and I have very little confidence in my ability to mess with the UVs. I'll look into the cape a bit more. Oh, I also still need to do the spec textures, but those will come after the other stuff.

If anyone is willing to help out with the things I'm stuck on, that would be awesome!
I got a suggestion for your Ganon, if you want to make it resemble the time-skip Ganondorf more, you should take the cape model from this Ganondorf model.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Do you accept requests?
Ehhhh, probably not, but go ahead and suggest whatever it is, and if I love it, I may attempt it.

I got a suggestion for your Ganon, if you want to make it resemble the time-skip Ganondorf more, you should take the cape model from this Ganondorf model.
Yeah, I've seen that. I'm thinking I'll try to do his tiny cape from the early game, though. I feel like if I do the red cape, he should also get the longer hair and pointed ears, and I'm not sure if I can do that. I might look into it a bit later as an alternate or something, but I am making no promises.

Breadfrenzy

Smash Rookie
So far I have three ideas for Link edits. For his Ordonian Outfit, replace the wooden sword with the Ordon sword with it's sheath. For the Zora armor one replace the Wooden Shield and Ordon Sword with the Master Sword and Hylian Shield. For the Magic Armor costume give his sword and shield the default canon colors. CSP's and BP's would be very welcome as well.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
A lot of that is stuff I would be interested in, but it is not a high priority for me right now.
Maybe some day.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Playing around with some Marth stuff, mostly just testing some ideas I have for my next version of Lord Marth. I'll be using the upcoming Smash 3 Marth as a base, but this model will do as a playground for now, anyway.

I managed to model his neck armor that he's got in FE12, but I've never done anything like this before and don't know how to proceed from here. It's not a super high priority atm, since the new Smash 3 Marth isn't even out yet, but yeah.

I also tried setting the shoulders to be tied half to the bone "Shadow Dragon" Marth usually uses, and half to the bone vBrawl Marth uses, so they don't cling to the arm, but also don't stick out like wings. It looked pretty nice, more like his FE12 shoulders.

I may try tweaking the sheath model a bit, but I also may not.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
So, I decided I wanted to rimlight Kidneptune101's Hero's Shade Link for Smash 3C, but once I opened it up in Brawlbox, I noticed his sword and shield are set to always be in his hands, and it didn't have a ShieldBack and other such things.. I figured if I'm going to rimlight it, I should try to see what I can do about that first. So, I did this:

Hard to tell from this pic, but the sheath is vertexed a bit. The Hero's Shade is never actually depicted with a sheath, so I improvized with the design a bit. If I continue with this, I'll retexture the sheath to better match.*

...However, there is one problem.

I don't understand why the shield and hilt are just floating there. I weighted them to the correct bones in 3DS Max, the same I did it when I gave Roy his Sheath (and I also did something similar with Marth's shoulders when I was testing some stuff with him a while back), and it worked then. And it worked with the sheath now, too.
Everything looks correct to me in Brawlbox.

I'm still pretty new to this, so I probably made a mistake somewhere. But I have no idea what that mistake was.
Could anyone perhaps help me out a bit?

*Also, the Hero's Shade has armor on his back that protrudes farther than anything on regular Link. In order to avoid clipping, the shield, sheath, etc are all pushed out a bit farther back. This might end up looking a bit funny when he grabs his sword and such, but since they aren't really animating right now, I haven't had much of a chance to test it.
I also notice I need to adjust the positioning of the vines hanging from the back shield a bit more...

Edit:

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Hey, Crixler, I think we can do something with the Ganondorf edit you were working on now that you got 3DS Max and can delete vertices. Send me the model and I'll make two versions of the main armor model but make both use different textures so you can have the arm and leg cloths look different like you wanted them to be.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Crixler, I think we can do something with the Ganondorf edit you were working on now that you got 3DS Max and can delete vertices. Send me the model and I'll make two versions of the main armor model but make both use different textures so you can have the arm and leg cloths look different like you wanted them to be.
Actually, I think I've figured out how to do that myself since I last messed around with Ganondorf. When I finish up with some of the other stuff I've got going on, I think I'll go back to that and see what all I can do on my own. There might still be bits here and there that I might end up needing help with, but for the time being, I think I'm good. Thanks, though!

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Actually, I think I've figured out how to do that myself since I last messed around with Ganondorf. When I finish up with some of the other stuff I've got going on, I think I'll go back to that and see what all I can do on my own. There might still be bits here and there that I might end up needing help with, but for the time being, I think I'm good. Thanks, though!
Let me know if still need help on the stuff if your method doesn't work. I'm always happy to help. Anyways, I don't mean to show off my stuff but if you haven't gotten the cape figured out yet I can help you with that as well. The cape isn't originally transparent but I did some stuff with the materials in brawl box to make it transparent.

I can send you the cape model or tell you what I did, if you want.

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988
what software did you use in this picture? (i could help me in my modding career

Ardusk

Smash Rookie
Are you still planning on updating your projects to Smash 3? Specifically your much better Outset Toon Link with the Hero's Shield. Also, would it be possible for you to add a sheath to Link's sword on that costume that would simply be an elongated version of this one? I thought it was odd that it was left out in the Smash 3 version especially because all the other TL costumes have sheaths.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I do eventually intend for most of this stuff to be updated to S3C, yes. I would love to see Outset Toon Link get a sheath, but my modeling experience is still virtually nonexistent, so it's unlikely that I'll model such a thing myself (though not necessarily impossible, I suppose). I've been fairly inactive lately, but whenever the big Smash 3 update happens, I'm hoping to get back into this stuff again.

Top Bottom