• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique Ness (Help My Ness)

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
All Help welcomed any and all critique excepted including the infamous "play a different character" line. Also try to look past my ridiculous flaw halfway through the match when i charge a fsmash fully on the middle of the field and get punished to 80%. Anyways other than that i look forward to everyones help!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bairjew

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
DJC nair oos against foxes pressure. If you can do it quickly, it would be good.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
don't roll
dash attack less
learn to combo
L Cancel
grab more

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Be careful with your dash attacks because it can get CC'd pretty easily. A lot of your rolling should be replaced with wavedashing because rolling is slower and it's predicable and punishable. You should also learn to take advantage of and use PKT better and learning to ride up FD ledges will be really useful if you like FD.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Thanks loved the feedback, especially the "learn to combo" bit, when forced to approach when facing spacies or any campy characters what is the best move to approach with?

Jono

Smash Apprentice
there's:
fair
nair
uair occasionally
grab
PKT
wait for them to whiff

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You need to be more efficient with your movement. You mess up a lot of tech skill. For example, you randomly jump then dj which is just setting urself up for ****. Don't shield and roll so much and wd more.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i really need to improve my tech skills and application in matches with wd ive spent the past few weeks hammering myself to try to get that stuff down, hopefully i can post a better video of my improvements in a few days. Also, when using a quick djc nair against a fox of falco sheild pressure does it not always trade with there muti shines?

Van.

Smash Ace
I think DJC nair OoS would be too slow for good shield pressure. Shnair OoS seems better.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
the ideal shield pressure is dtilt when you're behind them, but that situation doesn't really come up often

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I think DJC nair OoS would be too slow for good shield pressure. Shnair OoS seems better.
Definitely not. Ness' DJC nair's are as fast as Peach's (ok one frame slower) and I think they might do more shield damage.

Van.

Smash Ace
Definitely not. Ness' DJC nair's are as fast as Peach's (ok one frame slower) and I think they might do more shield damage.
...........wut?

Three inputs are slower than two inputs.

Also, Peach sh or full hop nairs OoS, not DJC. Presumably because its faster.

EDIT: OHHHH wait nvm i see what you're saying. You misconstrued my post. We were talking about ESCAPING, spacie shield pressure, not creating your own.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Urm, I don't think you get how DJC works. When you do it close to the ground, you can use an aerial really low and land really fast like here

Jono

Smash Apprentice
if we're talking about escaping... yeah I usually shnair/fh nair out LOLOL

Van.

Smash Ace
Urm, I don't think you get how DJC works. When you do it close to the ground, you can use an aerial really low and land really fast like here
I don't think you understand how shield pressure works. Someone is hitting your shield. If you drop your shield, they will be hitting you. You want to get your own hitbox out ASAP to interrupt their shield pressure. SHnair/fullhop nair gets the nair hitbox out faster than DJC. Landing sooner is of secondary importance to the speed of the hitboxes emergence.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Nair has only 4 frames of start-up time, delaying it slightly will still counter in most situations while putting you in a much more advantageous situation by landing a lot earlier.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Nair doesn't have much range, you have to be precise if you want to use it to counter shield pressure.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
don't know why you would want to risk landing faster, you could completely lose a stock if you mess up

nair is actually pretty good against the typical jab shield pressure, don't completely have to be precise if you're escaping still. point is to escape, not hit them. you can follow up with your second jump if you're desperate to hit them

otherwise your second jump still gives some good options:
spaced fair to escape
dair if they shield or don't move (to dtilt them from behind or uair combo), could be hard but you gotta be tricky
nair again if you're not escaping and they jump at you
or just waveland

remember your 2nd jump is the majority of your horizontal aerial movement

McNinja

Smash Ace
Anyways, back to critiquing the video. Dash attacking may look cool with Ness, but if it misses, it totally leaves you open for some serious punishment. Just something to think about.

Top Bottom