• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique My Lucas

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
lol@3&4 being the same vudeo.

geesh we need a rate my lucas thread. anywhoo. you are good. however, you have a few flaws. they are not character flaws but player flaws. you spotdodge when you approach and you roll behind your opponent alot. these will get you punished if someone catches on to it. you missed a dair -> dtilt -> fsmash, because it looks like you didn't fastfall your FH dair. while, you may have, it would have been better to follow dair with dtilt, since the opponent was over 100%. you fsmash alot. you should cut down on it. usmash a gliding character; it works. you sh daired twice in the first fid. I am not sure if you meant to do those, but it is highly advised that you do not. it has too mauch lag and you will get punished. I also noticed in the third video that you started getting campy when you were losing. Do not play in a way where you will become predictable. that is why you lost the third game.

overall you are good, better than most tbh, but you can still improve.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
mix your nair combos, i only saw nair to fsmash, sometimes another nair, dair, utilt, ftilt or even grab are better options
try to use dash attack a little less, i don't know if you tried to ftilt, but instead you used dash attack or what (that happens to me a lot of times >_>), it can be easily punished, at least you space it properly

Cloake

Smash Cadet
lol@3&4 being the same vudeo.

geesh we need a rate my lucas thread. anywhoo. you are good. however, you have a few flaws. they are not character flaws but player flaws. you spotdodge when you approach and you roll behind your opponent alot. these will get you punished if someone catches on to it. you missed a dair -> dtilt -> fsmash, because it looks like you didn't fastfall your FH dair. while, you may have, it would have been better to follow dair with dtilt, since the opponent was over 100%. you fsmash alot. you should cut down on it. usmash a gliding character; it works. you sh daired twice in the first fid. I am not sure if you meant to do those, but it is highly advised that you do not. it has too mauch lag and you will get punished. I also noticed in the third video that you started getting campy when you were losing. Do not play in a way where you will become predictable. that is why you lost the third game.

overall you are good, better than most tbh, but you can still improve.
I do spot dodge charge a lot because it seems to be my safest approach against Pit. The only other relatively safe one is SH air dodge. I don't even try Dtitlting after a DAir but apparently that makes the combo work then, huh? The SH Dair's are accidental for most the part, despite both of those aforementioned ones racking up some unpunished damage in the first video. I generally avoid Usmashing unless it's a failed Utilt attempt because the Usmash will just cancel with his aerial and I'll be lagged enough to get punished.

mix your nair combos, i only saw nair to fsmash, sometimes another nair, dair, utilt, ftilt or even grab are better options
try to use dash attack a little less, i don't know if you tried to ftilt, but instead you used dash attack or what (that happens to me a lot of times >_>), it can be easily punished, at least you space it properly
I'm usually better with Nair combo variety by using Nair with A tap, or Utilt, or Dtilit Fsmash. Nair to Nair is pretty much an auto-Fsmash or grab for Pit, though.

I've got mixed feelings about dash attack because I like using it as mixup but the cooldown on it is long enough where I get punished often for it. I actually end up failing Ftilts with a Fsmash more often than dash attacks.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
"Nair to Nair is pretty much an auto-Fsmash or grab for Pit" then you're doing it wrong, if you are doing it the right way, the second nair will hit the opponent while he's still in the air

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Spacing, reaction, adjustment.

Three things you're not doing.

Biggest thing I notice is that you'll do things like PK Fire after the opponent has already jumped way above your range. You've commited yourself to the move ahead of time and therefore completely disregard what your opponent is doing and don't react. You need to watch your opponent and read them. Work on reacting...not just...acting...

The point of spacing is to put yourself out of range of the opponet while at the same time allowing yourself to be in range to hit them with them at a disadvantageous position. A lot of times I see you right next to your opponent sitting there with your shield up. It's pretty much sheer dumb luck and your opponent's inability to react to this that you didn't get punished over and over. Same thing with spotdodging. You can't just sit next to your opponent and spotdodge over and over. You're in a terrible position. You need to jab to get him away or get away yourself.

Adjustment. You need to start thinking about what's working and what isn't working. You kept running up and spotdodging and usually getting punished for it. You repeatedly Fsmashed immediately after Nair and whiffed leaving yourself open for punishement. Both of these are called mixups. This means they're something you throw in to your attack pattern to throw the opponent offguard. You can't just use them over and over again because they are extremely punishable and risky. The key thing to realize is that if something fails once, it's not going to just magically work the next time. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. This is exactly what you're doing. If something doesn't work, back off, try something different. If you can, try to think about WHY it didn't work in the first place. Adjust your pattern. Good Smash players are good because of their ability to adapt to the situation quickly.

This is what will make you better more than any specific criticism I can give. Go back and watch your videos with these in mind. I guarantee you'll make yourself better.

S.D

Smash Master
I don't even try Dtitlting after a DAir but apparently that makes the combo work then, huh?
If they don't tech the Dair on high percent the dtilt becomes a jab lock as the Dair trips them. Dtilt after Dair gives you the option of either jab locking across the stage, but generally an fsmash will finish them after the dtilt, it's just a more reliable kill method out of Dair.

Cloake

Smash Cadet
Aight, I only got one replay for now and I hate posting wins for a critique thread, but I never lost. I made a conscious effort to be more conservative with spacing, to be more deliberate when in his proximity, to have more nair combo variety, and to have a more meticulous use of fmashes and dash attacks. (such as the two fmashes in the beginning that both resulted in power shields, the first of which showed me that with this spacing of a missed fsmash , I could power shield for a free punishment) , a lot less $%^#ing around, essentially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF0M9EEKrz8

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Aight, I only got one replay for now and I hate posting wins for a critique thread, but I never lost. I made a conscious effort to be more conservative with spacing, to be more deliberate when in his proximity, to have more nair combo variety, and to have a more meticulous use of fmashes and dash attacks. (such as the two fmashes in the beginning that both resulted in power shields, the first of which showed me that with this spacing of a missed fsmash , I could power shield for a free punishment) , a lot less $%^#ing around, essentially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF0M9EEKrz8
because of the bolded text, I will not fully critique this.

you still dair -> fsmash. FIX IIIIITTTTTTTTT!!!!:)
SH pk fire instead of grounded pk fire. it is better for spacing. do not completely stop grounded pk fires, just mix it up a little.
moar usmash when pit uses glide attack.

I would rather see you just play your game, instead of making efforts to play a certain way.

Cloake

Smash Cadet
because of the bolded text, I will not fully critique this.

you still dair -> fsmash. FIX IIIIITTTTTTTTT!!!!:)
SH pk fire instead of grounded pk fire. it is better for spacing. do not completely stop grounded pk fires, just mix it up a little.
moar usmash when pit uses glide attack.

I would rather see you just play your game, instead of making efforts to play a certain way.
Well, why not remove the weaknesses of my style? I'm not necessarily detracting from my creativity because I'm learning how to balance offensive moves properly.

I'm still working on the dtilt thing and I can't reliably do Usmash against him while gliding because he'll dive faster, curve up, or just cancel it to air dodge.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Well, why not remove the weaknesses of my style? I'm not necessarily detracting from my creativity because I'm learning how to balance offensive moves properly.

I'm still working on the dtilt thing and I can't reliably do Usmash against him while gliding because he'll dive faster, curve up, or just cancel it to air dodge.
well, I am not certain that you are not really focusing on the fight, as much as focusing on what we told you to do. I was hoping to get a video where these things just came naturally, instead of them being in the back of your head.

you usmash when he is close enough where his change in direction doesn't matter, but far enough where he can't hit you. timing is key!

Cloake

Smash Cadet
well, I am not certain that you are not really focusing on the fight, as much as focusing on what we told you to do. I was hoping to get a video where these things just came naturally, instead of them being in the back of your head.

you usmash when he is close enough where his change in direction doesn't matter, but far enough where he can't hit you. timing is key!
I'm just making use of my temporal lobe and adjusting my tendencies intelligently. I did all the moves as a reaction to the fight, and not just a regurgitation of what I've been told. It's more organic to just keep playing until you feel like doing something different, but it doesn't hurt to go "hey I should stop doing stupid #$%^."

As for the Usmash, it's too risky to predict whether he'll put himself in a situation where I can Usmash responsively like that. I'll take my chances with a Uair or faked Uair to exploit the glide.

Cloake

Smash Cadet
pit was like afraid of you lol
look at 0:58, you nair, autocancel, walk a little, then utilt, you had enough time to use another nair instead of utilt
My friend was frustrated the whole night. >=)

Is nair-nair superior to nair-utilt?

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
you rely on that stick to kill which makes your lucas some what predictable...

when ever you can connect a down air successfully with all 4 hits, and they hit the groud, try using a forward tilt or down tilt, just any tilt period, most likely 80% of the time, your tilt is faster than your smash attack,

Cloake

Smash Cadet
think about nair->nair->utilt
Well, let's use 0:58 again. I'm thinking that if I would've nair'd a second time, he would've got a knocked back out of my combo range or pushed up just high enough to DI away from me, so I doubt I would've managed a nair, nair, utilt.

you rely on that stick to kill which makes your lucas some what predictable...

when ever you can connect a down air successfully with all 4 hits, and they hit the groud, try using a forward tilt or down tilt, just any tilt period, most likely 80% of the time, your tilt is faster than your smash attack,
I'm still working on dair-dtilt-fsmash because it usually comes out as dair-dtilt-ftilt which can cost me the kill. Also, if the dtilt doesn't induce the trip, I eat a lovely fsmash. So I'll slowly work out the kinks to that.

lil cj

Smash Lord
I'm still working on dair-dtilt-fsmash because it usually comes out as dair-dtilt-ftilt which can cost me the kill. Also, if the dtilt doesn't induce the trip, I eat a lovely fsmash. So I'll slowly work out the kinks to that.
The dair-dtilt-fsmash combo isnt difficult at all if your using a game cube controller
Just use the c-stick instead of side A
Your almost guaranteed a ftilt if you use side A immediately after a dtilt b/c of how you move the analog stick before you press A causing a ftilt
With the c-stick u will always 100% hit with fsmash after dtilt
As for tripping make sure u hit your opponent with the tip of Lucas' foot while doin dtilt
so dont get too close.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
the dtilt after the dair is to lock them, not to trip them. you will not get hit for using dtilt after the dair, unless the opponent techs, which then becomes a tech chase, and you should not use dtilt.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
Well, let's use 0:58 again. I'm thinking that if I would've nair'd a second time, he would've got a knocked back out of my combo range or pushed up just high enough to DI away from me, so I doubt I would've managed a nair, nair, utilt.
fast fall the nair so you don't hit with the last hit
nair to nair should look like this
2:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D8a5m9koaM

Top Bottom