• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique My Fox If You'd Like!

IONTheKid

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone! Yesterday at a local tournament in Jersey I ended up playing Fox for the first time competitively and actually managed to get stream time for my first set. Out of my 4 wins in the tournament Fox contributed to 2 of them and i'm super proud and happy that i'm expanding my range of characters. In my first set, I ended up losing the first match which was a Sheik ditto against a Sheik main so I made the decision to switch to Fox because I know myself just how much I hate that matchup from Sheik's end of it. I managed to win the first match and came very close the second match. I practiced Fox a little bit and wanted to keep him in the pocket for the jigglypuff and Sheik matchups. At 1:18:30 to the end of the first video I had my first match, and then from the end of the first video to the second video I had my second bout with the same matchup.

Here's the first video, starts at 1:18:30 to the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QbnMADzOnQ

And Here's the second video, from the beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeOrvI1RQ6E

There was some lag on the stream so i'm sorry if there's a decent amount of lag while watching. Most of it is in the second match on battlefield, it's almost unwatchable at some parts unfortunately :/ Any critique is greatly appreciated! I only started playing competitively about 3 months ago, and just picked up Fox less than a month ago. Thanks to everyone who decides to help me out!

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I'm @ work at the moment so I didn't get to watch too much of it, but it looks like you have some pretty good ATs down (your waveshines were impressive, and L Cancels were doing you well). How often do you play?
Also I know this comes with time, but if you can, try and practice shffling your moves until you hate it. Trust me, i'll help a lot. Short hop those moves :p
You can do it!

IONTheKid

Smash Cadet
I'm @ work at the moment so I didn't get to watch too much of it, but it looks like you have some pretty good ATs down (your waveshines were impressive, and L Cancels were doing you well). How often do you play?
Also I know this comes with time, but if you can, try and practice shffling your moves until you hate it. Trust me, i'll help a lot. Short hop those moves :p
You can do it!
I try to practice for a minimum of 4 hours every day with & without a few training partners of mine. Fox's short hop is just so god damn hard haha, he's probably my 3rd or 4th best character but I abused him at this tourney cause I really want to get better with him. Thanks for the comment!

Last edited:

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
Lol your fox is pretty dang good man :) looks a bit unconventional, and you love upsmash, but I would imagine its just a shiek habit.
You make good reads the entire time, and I feel like I am not in a position to rate you, but if there was anything that was a bit lacking compared to the rest, it was your lasergame, which while still good just isnt as good as everything else you did in the videos. Just Hammer SHDL i guess idk.
First time critiquing someone hope I gave u stuff to work on maybe I don't even know.

IONTheKid

Smash Cadet
Lol your fox is pretty dang good man :) looks a bit unconventional, and you love upsmash, but I would imagine its just a shiek habit.
You make good reads the entire time, and I feel like I am not in a position to rate you, but if there was anything that was a bit lacking compared to the rest, it was your lasergame, which while still good just isnt as good as everything else you did in the videos. Just Hammer SHDL i guess idk.
First time critiquing someone hope I gave u stuff to work on maybe I don't even know.
Thank you! I really appreciate that. My fox isn't really too good though and that's not me being modest, I literally just started with him. I'm not accurate enough with him at my current level of play for it to be considered a good fox, and I tried learning SHDL but I use X instead of Y and it's so much more difficult for me XD I'm gonna stick to spamming single lasers and shooting when they're off the stage and trying to recover but it was a good suggestion, one that I actually tried to add to my game lol. I do love upsmash and up based moves haha, I try to focus on being upwards based and as aggro as possible. I'm gonna continue practicing shine combos and doing shffls until my hands feel like they're gonna fall off and maybe in a month or so I'll be a lot better :p
Thanks for the comment! Appreciate it!

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
Oh, yeah X button players have a hard time with SHDL. SHDL is like second nature to me, but I use y so it made it easier. Either way it took me like 2 weeks of solid practice to get it down. With your single lasers, and love of upsmashes/uptilts for combos, you might want to try falco instead :)

IONTheKid

Smash Cadet
Oh, yeah X button players have a hard time with SHDL. SHDL is like second nature to me, but I use y so it made it easier. Either way it took me like 2 weeks of solid practice to get it down. With your single lasers, and love of upsmashes/uptilts for combos, you might want to try falco instead :)
Actually Falco happens to be my second best character XD I train with Chain-ace and Stricny9e and i'm apart of a crew called MGFC that's mostly spacies. I love playing falco more than fox but i'm gonna keep fox in the pocket. My pillar game with falco is pretty dirty lmfao, way better than my fox game

Last edited:

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
Actually Falco happens to be my second best character XD I train with Chain-ace and Stric9yne and i'm apart of a crew called MGFC that's mostly spacies. I love playing falco more than fox but i'm gonna keep fox in the pocket. My pillar game with falco is pretty dirty lmfao, way better than my fox game
Yay! I play both spacies but I'm not a tournament player, but I love watching people. Someday I will start playing tournaments though. Good luck with your pocket fox :)

Cursetyl

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cursetyl
That was pretty impressive man, you have a great Fox! There were only a few things I noticed you weren't doing well with, one thing is that you're full hopping a lot, which can become a problem, though with lots of practice it eventually goes away. Another is a few of those edge guards weren't great, the up smashes were nice, but at more high level play people won't fall for it. Aside from that most of your game was on point, you did good work with those wave shines, and your option select for the most part was good. Keep up the good work :)

IONTheKid

Smash Cadet
That was pretty impressive man, you have a great Fox! There were only a few things I noticed you weren't doing well with, one thing is that you're full hopping a lot, which can become a problem, though with lots of practice it eventually goes away. Another is a few of those edge guards weren't great, the up smashes were nice, but at more high level play people won't fall for it. Aside from that most of your game was on point, you did good work with those wave shines, and your option select for the most part was good. Keep up the good work :)
Thank you! I appreciate that. I'm working on the whole shorthopping all the time with melee's hardest short hopper thing haha, and I'll try to change up my edge-guarding options. Sometimes I forget what fox can do just because of how many options he has in general. I appreciate the comment!

AnEnemyMongoose

Smash Cadet
Like what everyone else said, you did full-hop a lot (I know that's probably annoying by now :p). I understand that though, because I constantly feel nervous in tournament situations and mess up my tech skill (not saying that happens to you; I'd appreciate tips on that actually). I've been playing for over a year with Falcon and I just picked up Fox as my main so I can relate.

But anyways, back to you. I'm assuming you prefer efficiency in terms of edge-guarding cuz you did a lot of up-smashes. Then again you haven't been playing Fox for super long, so other ways of edge-guarding will come with time and experience. Your reads were clean; you've got a good grasp on the RPS/option coverage stuff.

Keep up the good work! You did really well!

Last edited:

IONTheKid

Smash Cadet
Like what everyone else said, you did full-hop a lot (I know that's probably annoying by now :p). I understand that though, because I constantly feel nervous in tournament situations and mess up my tech skill (not saying that happens to you; I'd appreciate tips on that actually). I've been playing for over a year with Falcon and I just picked up Fox as my main so I can relate.

But anyways, back to you. I'm assuming you prefer efficiency in terms of edge-guarding cuz you did a lot of up-smashes. Then again you haven't been playing Fox for super long, so other ways of edge-guarding will come with time and experience. Your reads were clean; you've got a good grasp on the RPS/option coverage stuff.

Keep up the good work! You did really well!
Thank you! This footage is from almost a month ago and i'm starting to do more things with my Fox now. I appreciate the kind words! I'm still trying to get rid of the double jumps and fullhops and my practice is starting to work. I'm changing it up a bit and sticking to mostly short hops and full hops because I got punished too much from djing. My offstage game has gotten better but the reason I didn't go out as much against Sheik was because there's literally almost only 4 frames of her up B where you can shine spike or LH Bair. I was hesitant because I didn't know how he played or how he recovered so I just stuck to reads. Thanks a bunch!

AnEnemyMongoose

Smash Cadet
Thank you! This footage is from almost a month ago and i'm starting to do more things with my Fox now. I appreciate the kind words! I'm still trying to get rid of the double jumps and fullhops and my practice is starting to work. I'm changing it up a bit and sticking to mostly short hops and full hops because I got punished too much from djing. My offstage game has gotten better but the reason I didn't go out as much against Sheik was because there's literally almost only 4 frames of her up B where you can shine spike or LH Bair. I was hesitant because I didn't know how he played or how he recovered so I just stuck to reads. Thanks a bunch!
Don't get me wrong; the edge-guarding was good! I figure you know this already, but you wanna make Sheik land on stage > punish the lag. But up-smash is great too!

I hope to see you in bracket someday. :smirk:

Last edited:
Top Bottom