• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique me and my friend

purekorea

Smash Journeyman

Zone

Smash Champion
^^; You guys like to do nearly the same Match-ups as me and my friend do. Although there is little I can help cuz i'm not a good analyst. but here is what I caught
Marth vs Zelda Battlefield
As a Zelda player she has no ledge games while (Holding the ledge). I'd refrain from backing off and tele'ing back in. Just gives him another chance to smash you, or poke you. Once you grab the ledge as Zelda against marth 1.)Either hit down hope over and foot him when he's about far enough away to clear a tipper directly on the edge. 2.) if he's close to the ledge, mix it up with the first option(harder to hit with the tip of the foot when close), and switch it up with wave landing into the stage and grabbing.

I'm learning captain falcon and right now i'm only good at playing Captain Falcon vs Captain Falcon, I liked the repeated uptilts. I learned a bit from you video perhaps you can learn a few from mine. Also For the Zelda player you really should bait him into attacking and then missing you then retaliating. Perhaps short hop away when tries to land a knee and C-stick it toward him. That way your out of range, and you foot him.

You guys are pretty good. Just work on accuracy and finding more a way to incorporate jabs to save yourselfs after a SHFFL to try and save yourself from punishment if it's shielded or background dodged.

My friend tends to think things then I show him otherwise. He use to think dash dancing with zelda is useless. If you fox-trot it away from a Marth it's got good distance, then fox-trot back in with a dash-attack. Dashdancing in place with zelda is **** near standing still lol.

Up+Smash with Zelda usually overprioritizes Falcon's Forward+B, other than that I only use it after I throw a fast faller up. I just thought the zelda player was too offensive. Zelda is very punishing but also very punishable.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Finally some workable comment. Thanks alot.

And for utilt did you mean uair? I didn't use utilt with falcon.

I think his problem also is he thinks DD and WD with Zelda is just as useful as with falco which isn't the case.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
As a Falco main, Marth secondary, I'll comment on those 2 characters. I'd like to point out, however, that you guys look better then me, so I'm not sure how applicable what I'm going to say is. Try it though, see if it helps. By the way, I love the 7% to death techchase in the Falcon vs Falco match, at around 2:05 in. That was awesome ^_^

For Falco, I find you don't use your lasers nearly enough. It's Falco's best move for a reason, you know. You can manipulate your opponent like a puppet with them. Sit at a distance and spam SHL, and he has to approach you. Approach with fast, high SHL (still hitting him if he's on the ground, but high enough that you can catch a SH with it), and watch your opponent struggle with his extremely limited options for dealing with it. SHL approach will force most opponents to shield it. From there, start a pillar, grab him, or dash attack through him and get behind him. Falco is a character with whom it's very, very easy to take control of the entire stage. Do so, that's why he's such a good character.

A little thing too, when facing a fastfaller, your combos against him should be waveshine -> shffl drill, waveshine. If that vs Fox match was just to practice your waveshines, then disregard this, but if you were acualy comboing there, I'd suggest you add in the dair. It throws on a significant amount of damage, allowing you to end your combos sooner, which means less of a window to mess up or follow DI incorrectly.

Like I said, Falco is a character who likes control. Of everything. If you aren't close enough to your opponent for a shine, you should be lasering. If your opponent is moving around unhindered, you aren't doing your job. Abuse the laser. This dosn't mean be blindly offensive though, don't take it the wrong way. Just because you're far from your opponent dosn't mean you have to approach. You just want control. You want to be overwhelming.

Ok, so now Marth. That Marth is quite flashy, which isn't a bad thing. I saw some nice combos, including tipped fair to spike. I can see that you understand the concept of spacing, and apply it quite well. The Zelda was obviously having trouble getting inside your sword (see the first stock in the second vs Zelda match). I tell all Marth's this: even though your spacing is good, it should be better. Marth's range and priority, combined with his ideally placed sweetspot and the fact that his sword is disjointed, is WHY he's such a good character. The better your spacing, the better a Marth you'll be. That should be your focus in matches. Of course, I'm sure you already knew this :p

That Marth is good, so there isn't really much else I can say. It's a little hard to tell based on a video wether you do this or not, so I'll say it anyway: Don't look for combos in a match. Focus on spacing, and combos will come naturally. Many new players just focus on getting that Ken Combo off, and don't realise that their opponent will destroy them because of it.

Like I said at the beginning of the post, you're both good players. Better then me. Keep it up, and you'll get even better!

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Actually I'll keep the spacing tip in mind. When I first learned the ken combo I wanted to do it all the time, but now it's more of a "get them off stage and edge guard"

I'll get the falco to read this and comment.

Top Bottom