• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique and Help requested

tmdorsey

Smash Rookie
NNID
tdorsey76
Ok I had a match with guy the other night who really beat my ass with Zelda. I managed to save one of my replays to post here to get some thoughts and helps. I will saying re-watching the video that I didn't play my best and see alot of my mistakes (too many FSmash and Bomber attempts, not enough floating etc) but the skill of this dude I think threw me off my game. His edge guarding with the Phantom? was excellent. After beating my ass a few times with Zelda, he then switched to Falcon and it was even more devastating. He aerialed me and stage spike me too death.

Anyway, here's a link to the video please any pointers and things to work out will be greatly appreciated. I consider myself a somewhat intermediate player with Peach. Thanks.

HeeroOfTheSkys

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeeroOfTheSkys
After watching ur match the first thing I noticed was ur approach was always 2 simple. Most of ur damage came from bombers which is ok but outside of that u struggled 2 get any damage in other ways. A lot of the time u jumped and came down with an aerial which people can see from mile away or u just tried to fsmash both r very unsafe.

Ur biggest weakness right now is ur movement its very linear, I would suggest u learn 2 shot hop a bit more and definately look at floating techniques and learn 2 use dair. Also I would like to see u use more turnips I hardly saw u use any at all apart from when u try 2 stop her from coming bk on stage.

Have a look in the Peach Video thread a lot of the stuff u need is in there

tmdorsey

Smash Rookie
NNID
tdorsey76
yeah I don't know what was going on with me, I usually do incorporate dair and dsmashes more in my matches. Thanks for the response. What you are your thoughts about overcoming the edge guarding?

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
I would say that from a fellow peach main, It felt unusual to me that you didn't make use of peach's float as much as most peach's do. And like the person before me said, you're approach is extremely linear. Try move back and forth a bit more without relying too much on rolls/sidesteps to do so. You could also move on the ground with groundfloats which allow you to also float back and forth at walking speed while giving you the option to use one of her powerful aerials.

I'd also say that on the ground, you rely too much on dash attacks and peach bombers. Utilize her aerials on the ground more by groundfloating (hold down and and hold jump, then release down)

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
I think you don't use enough your Toad. I know it's hard to do a good counter, but if you anticipate well the ennemy Toad will be your best friend.

Also it is too easy to anticipate where you go and where you fall. You didn't really float during the battle and you used you parasol twice but it was to go higher. The parasol is not just a good recovery. You should use it as a weapon when Zelda was up to you or even on the ground close to you. Also, by floating, you can easily do aerials to Zelda even if she was on the ground. The parasol and floating are two good ways to make your fall less anticipable. During the battle, Zelda knew exactly where you was going to fall so she used Din's Fire and Phantom's Slash exactly at the same place. If you use more the parasol and floating, she won't be able to edgeguard you with Phantom Slash

Also, use more and wisely the turnips. I saw you tried to use them, but you hardly aim and you don't really do combos. You should throw them, with the same time doing a dash attack and catching it back. So you won't lose time to pulling another one. You can also do an "Out-of-Shield Throw" when she was attacking you.

I just began to play Peach but I think the tips I gave you were not so bad. If someone can correct me, do it, it will help everybody. Thank you. I hope I helped you a bit at least

Last edited:

tmdorsey

Smash Rookie
NNID
tdorsey76
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I don't know why I didn't float more on my returns to the stage. I always having trouble aiming my turnips and especially catching them. The attack button has to be pressed in order to catch them correct?

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
If you are fast enough, the best thing to do would be to throw the turnip, do a dash attack but in the same time, you catch it. The timing is essentiel but it's a good combo. If you don't need to attack, just press A in the same moment the turnip is back on you to catch it.

Ladyspiker

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6235-1432-1920
Well firstly let me point out I'm sure this video isn't necessarily representative of how you usually play with Peach. I find it's very easy to make silly mistakes once a match starts to go downhill.

I think one main problem was you may not be that familiar with Zelda's attacks. Like at 2:23 you can see her charging your phantom, yet you still approach the ledge and get up about 3 seconds later, putting yourself in perfect line of sight for the attack despite having plenty of time to avoid it. A better idea would've been to use your parasol and float near the ledge and then quickly float to it after she uses it (she is forced to use it after a short amount of time), or quickly drop down from the ledge and then jump/parasol back up after the phantom is used. Hanging on the ledge isn't a great idea either because the phantom CAN hit you while you're on it (at least, I've been able to do that to people as Zelda).

The other problem is you are way too offensive and had very little defensive options. I don't think I saw you shield really, instead I only saw rolls. Shielding is definitely needed in this battle, especially any time you see Farore's Wind. If you see her begin to teleport, shield. See where she reappears and quickly punish if it's near you. Have some more patience, don't be in a rush to get back on the stage (that's what seemed to get you killed both times) or rush to get an attack on the opponent. The nice thing about Peach is you can stay off the stage for quite sometime and easily make it back to the ledge thanks to her float and her parasol.

I would practice, maybe with a friend or even a CPU, learning how to dodge her really predictable attacks from far away such as Din's fire, Farore's Wind, and Phantom Slash. Another good idea would be to train as Zelda. You might have won the match had you learned how to avoid those attacks (it was pretty even until she got you off the stage, then it went downhill).

And definitely take the advice of others mentioned. You already have a lot of the basics down so you can become an unbeatable Peach player if you take their advice. The Peach video thread is a GREAT resource. And there are lots of willing Peach players, I included, who are here to help with advice, 1 vs 1, if you need or want it..

Piano

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5477-9207
I know this video is not enough to judge your skills while playing Peach, since she's so versatile you can use her differently in different matchups and I think it's the machup what caught you in this one.

On this match you came back to stage everytime the same, very predictable, without the use of your float to play some mind games or atleast going for the ledge with parasol. You went right to her din's or phantoms. Even when she was next to you she managed to hit you with the din's fire, and as a Zelda player I know you never want to do that cause it's HIGHLY punishable. If she wanted she could've just nailed you a f-air or b-air everytime you came back to the stage and kill you.

Like people have already said you didn't really use turnips. Were you scared because of her reflector? That thing comes out pretty fast, but you can still do some turnip preasure or atleast throw them up to trick her. I saw a few unsafe pulls also.

I think what happened here is you really didn't know the matchup. Zelda comboed you easily and it's kinda hard to combo with her because most users just move aside or airdodge when down grabbed since if you jump you eat her up air (and I've killed early with this combo) or get a n-air. You can punish those farore winds since it has some landing lag (but make sure you shield properly, it can kill really early and most Zelda's spam it since it's a easy kill) and most times you can just jump past the phantom and punish Zelda; also when she uses her side-b next to you can also just dash attack her. Be sure to dodge it on time, since it is also an early killer especially when used for edgeguarding. I don't know if you have trouble edgeguarding 'cause you didn't when you could.

There are some great videos posted on the video thread and Dark.Pch has uploaded some really good tutorials, you may find useful specially the approaching one since we all notice that's your weakest point. If you want I can play Zelda against you so you can learn the machup a little more, or Peach for that matter. I wish you a happy training/learning. :)

tmdorsey

Smash Rookie
NNID
tdorsey76
Piano and Ladyspiker, you guys are dead on. This video is in no way a indicator of how I usually play with her and I definitely didn't know the matchup. I have played against Zelda's in the past but none this good.

Piano I do have trouble edge guarding. I find it hard to time/aim turnips and not sure what are the best moves for edge guarding. I think the lag time of pulling turnips in Smash 4 is what makes me hesitate using them as well as in this matchup being scared of Zelda's reflector.

I watched some of the videos in the video thread and it's helping alot. Question. Is QFR the preferred way to move as apposed to regular dashing and rolling and sidestepping?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I did not watch the vid. I'll watch it some time later. But to answer some of your questions here.

QFR is a movement option to bait reactions out your opponent. it makes you hard to read and hit. I made a new video on QFR cause after my last one, people still seem to ask questions about it. So in this video, I am a lil more clear on the subject.

My next video that I will make is on how to edgeguard. I'll have it up hopefully 2morrow.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
The turnips are more important than you think. You have to know how to use them. The pull lag is a disadvantage but just pull them when Zelda is far of you. Or when you knocked back her. As often as possible pull one. You have to have one with you almost always. To flinch, to edgeguard or whatever. Me too I had somme problem with the turnips when I began to play her.

I even made a topic because I knew I MUST use them, I knew they were really useful even if I didn't use them enough at the beginning. I invite you to go see all advices people gave to me. http://smashboards.com/posts/18338682/

Top Bottom