• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cringe worthy habbits you see when watching someone play your main

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I've been watching more and more competitive ssb4 play and I like what I see. I seem to be doing a lot of what the pros are doing. But then, for instance, I watch ZeRo's For Glory series and I have to cringe when I see how the opponent plays. What caused me to post this was watching ZeRo's Little Mac wreck a counter spamming Roy. As a Lucina main, my number one advice for fellow Lucina mains is to counter maybe once per match. Counter is a good mix up when you get a solid read, but I see a lot of people spam counter whenever the opponent is coming towards them. I cringe because they don't know how to read and yet they keep trying and still fail.

Long story short, I cringe when Marcina/Roy mains counter too much.

I made this thread so that you can share what makes you cringe when you watch others play your main. Maybe you, a good Charizard main, cringe when people use side B too much and routinely get punished. Share your advice!

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
It just embarrasses me how bad every single for glory charizard user is. Stop using flare blitz in neutral. Stop going for smash attacks as your out of shield option, and especially stop throwing them out in neutral.

JesusMorpheus

Smash Cadet
NNID
omar0320
3DS FC
1435-4404-0742
When mega mains play him aggressively (and not even the good type of aggressive mega man either). They throw out the most unsafe options (please for the love of all that is good don't use down/forward smash in neutral) or when they try to edgeguard with dair and end up getting edgedguarded themselves. It's just sad to see

Arrei

Smash Lord
A long while back, I faced an Ike who used a whole lot of Quick Draw and Aether in neutral, no matter how many times it didn't work.

There was not enough internal screaming in the world to befit the scenario.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Link mains who attempt his dash attack and arrows way to much, or who always attempt a fastfall dair.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
:4dedede: King Dedede
Oh boy, I honestly don't even know where to start.

Firstly, you do not spam his F-Smash, okay? Stop it. It is never okay to just use his F-Smash as you please. Any King Dedede who feels the need to whip it out every time you get close to them needs to get their brains inspected for any blunt trauma. These types of King Dededes usually don't even use his Tilt attacks whatsoever. It's Smash Attacks or bust with them, which again... Just stop it.

I also don't know whats usually worse in this scenario: King Dededes who spam Gordos endlessly, or ones who don't use them period.

Added Bonus: I die on the inside to see a King Dedede Up B, and not cancel it which results in them plummeting to their deaths. When you cannot recover properly as King Dedede you definitely have some sort of problem you need to get checked.

:4rob: ROB
I see people complaining about ROBs spamming Gyros and lasers, but what really gets to me the most is the ones that decide to spam his Side B. It's not the greatest attack option, and it is very unsafe on shields. You are not Pit or Ness. Quit spamming Side B.

Lets not forget the ones that don't even know how to pick up the Gyro, or Z-Drop it, or especially doesn't use it for combo set-ups.

I also can't stand to watch most ROBs recover as they usually do it wrong. They never save their second jump (you CAN use it after Up B if you preform an aerial and most opponents sometimes don't even expect this from my experience) and I hate how they don't use D-Air or Back Air to their advantage when recovering as well. Heck, you can even use his Gyro or Laser after preforming an aerial after Up B. It can get edge guarders off you back if done just right. Also, never forget to repeatedly tap B when recovering. It DOES send you much farther.

(I guess I can't hold that one against them though, since I didn't find out about the repeatedly B tapping part till a few months ago)

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Jigglypuffs that whiff rest even if they weren't close to you anyway. Oh my god that is so cringy.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Robin mains that play as :4robinf:instead of :4robinm:. :troll:

But honestly, I think that Robins should focus on outsmarting their opponents rather than over reliance on their tomes and Levin Sword. And by this, I mean charging their Thunder tome by the ledge, and whenever you or someone fighting them gets close, they either roll and grab and then backward throw and continue charging, or they just go berserk with casting Arcfire spells. They also don't grab their broken tomes/Levin Sword when overused, even though they are fantastic for creating mix-ups and for off-stage.

Last edited:

Jaycee_023

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5215-0852-1547
In my past couple hundred FG matches, I haven't seen a single ZSS... But I imagine that a lot of people new to ZSS spam the paralyzer quite a bit.

Mario players on FG are either really good or really cringey. Mario seems to be the go-to for a lot of casual players, so I can't fault them for not fastfalling or teching or anything like that, but an over-reliance on the cape is pretty common, as well as always trying to kill with fair spike.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
:4shulk: Shulks that run-up nair and don't try to cross up with it while doing it. Speed-Buster-Smash Shulks (we were all there at one point).

:4cloud:Doesn't charge limit when have stage control. DOUBLE JUMPS EARLY EVERY SINGLE TIME OFFSTAGE, NEVER USES NEUTRAL B TO COVER YOURSELF, YOU'RE GONNA WAS LIMIT ANYWAY!!1! No recovery mix-ups whatsoever

:4myfriends: Up/Dthrow-Aether and not realizing it doesn't work.
counters too much
. Not abusing nair, dtilt, or bair.

:4villager:A complete lack of nair oos or B-reverse pockets, ew. Recovering high with Balloon Trip all the time.

:4robinm: Arcfire in neutral. l get it, l'm stuck in shield, but you can't grab me because you're laggy af. Why don't you go for Thunder instead until you catch me in a bad situation? l never understood the majority of Robins... Sorry if there's something l'm missing.

:4pit:/:4darkpit: ELECTROSHOCK, HWHSAAAAAHG

:4diddy:Not glide-tossing a banana and expecting a smash follow-up. Recovering low with up-b. Side-B kick spam.

:4metaknight:Thinking the ladder combo still works on non-floaties.

And finally, me. For not having a real main yet. lt's been 2 years. You'd think l'd have just settled on something by now. But no. The longest l've gone with a character was maybe 3 months with lke. Practicing Bidou Roy isn't helping me either.

link2702

Smash Champion
:4dedede: King Dedede
Oh boy, I honestly don't even know where to start.

Firstly, you do not spam his F-Smash, okay? Stop it. It is never okay to just use his F-Smash as you please. Any King Dedede who feels the need to whip it out every time you get close to them needs to get their brains inspected for any blunt trauma. These types of King Dededes usually don't even use his Tilt attacks whatsoever. It's Smash Attacks or bust with them, which again... Just stop it.

I also don't know whats usually worse in this scenario: King Dededes who spam Gordos endlessly, or ones who don't use them period.

Added Bonus: I die on the inside to see a King Dedede Up B, and not cancel it which results in them plummeting to their deaths. When you cannot recover properly as King Dedede you definitely have some sort of problem you need to get checked.

:4rob: ROB
I see people complaining about ROBs spamming Gyros and lasers, but what really gets to me the most is the ones that decide to spam his Side B. It's not the greatest attack option, and it is very unsafe on shields. You are not Pit or Ness. Quit spamming Side B.

Lets not forget the ones that don't even know how to pick up the Gyro, or Z-Drop it, or especially doesn't use it for combo set-ups.

I also can't stand to watch most ROBs recover as they usually do it wrong. They never save their second jump (you CAN use it after Up B if you preform an aerial and most opponents sometimes don't even expect this from my experience) and I hate how they don't use D-Air or Back Air to their advantage when recovering as well. Heck, you can even use his Gyro or Laser after preforming an aerial after Up B. It can get edge guarders off you back if done just right. Also, never forget to repeatedly tap B when recovering. It DOES send you much farther.

(I guess I can't hold that one against them though, since I didn't find out about the repeatedly B tapping part till a few months ago)
Well now to be fair, (though I don't main or use Ddd regularly, just for gits and shiggles sometimes ) if someone is used to cancelling his up b in brawl like I am, anytime we use it in smash 4 we get the input backwards....

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Newish:4sheik:'s who think every move true combos into bouncing fish, and :4tlink:'s who don't jc bombs and think dair is a completely broken method of escaping juggles.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:4wario:'s that do nothing but ride the bike left and right, and eventually ride it off the stage.

ShulkMonadoBoi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luigi_The_Jumper
3DS FC
1289-9400-8598
:4ness:: Abusing Pk fire and just endless d-throw to f-air
:4lucas:: Same as :4ness: but with n-air and u-air
:4kirby:: Final cutter and rock spam and excessive use of the suck and cuck
:4tlink:: D-air off the stage along with projectile spam

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
With :4lucina:...
Guys. Stop. Lucina's Side Smash isn't Mario's Up Smash for you to spam it all over the place. Don't complain that you get punished hard if you miss it, because you will.

And with :4mario:...
I can understand spamming Up Smash for the KO up to some extent, but please don't use it 6-7 times in a row. You don't end up hitting the damn thing and it makes you look like an arse. Also, please... Down Throw>Up Tilt isn't even that viable a combo. Do something else. Especially after 25%.

SmashSwordsman

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen very many fellow Clouds online, but they just ALWAYS forget they have limit break/LB until they notice the blue glow. And when they DO see the glow, they forget that it increases the speed and attack of Cloud and increase the range of the Buster Sword. The newer Clouds who recently purchased the DLC always seem to forget to charge LB while the opponent is dead due to Star KO, Screen KO, or the short time in between a normal KO and coming back to the screen.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
:4bowser: - tries to bowsercide you but isnt up a stock, or on their last stock. And of course, downB and dair any chance they get.

:4dedede: - upBs offstage, but doesnt snap the ledge and just flies back onstage.

:4myfriends: - sideBs in neutral, usually holding it while on the other side of the stage, and tries to play "chicken."

:4bayonetta2: - thinks sideB is safe on shield, and fishes for it all game, only to get a lackluster combo cuz LOL SDI.

Star Venom

Smash Rookie
why do marth and lucinas short hop into fully charged shield breaker

why do ryu "players" assume they'll automatically win if they mash Standing Close Jab/Light Up Tilt next to you

it's even worse because i always play marth and ryu and punish these things accordingly and they just keep doing it

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:rosalina: - Spending the whole 13 seconds running and camping on the edge waiting for another Luma to respawn. They're making themselves look bad and I don't play that way.

:4cloud: - Charging the Limit Meter offstage and falling to their deaths. I've seen that happened a few times and it was embarrassing and a disgrace to real Cloud mains like myself everywhere.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
:4lucina: = Counter is love; aerial Fair approach (then again i'm one to talk sometimes) is life. <3
:4corrinf: = Back in the day? Spamming that Dragon Shot all day every day. Now I guess it's just Dragon Lunge 24/7.
:4ryu: = Not really sure.. I guess side-b? I've clashed against a few good or move strategic Ryus so I can't really say.

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
:4ganondorf:
- Always going for a Ganoncide, even when I'm blatantly out of range
- Trying Side-B to D-tilt mulitple times, even when it's against characters it doesn't work on
- Charging smashes, hoping people will run into them

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
:4littlemac:- dash dances/perfect pivots when he takes a stock; doesnt ever use dash dance or perfect pivots when he's actually fighting you. Bonus points if he plays like a typical For Glory Mac.

PK Kenta

Smash Rookie
NNID
Herobrine77235
When another Lucas main uses PK Thunder 2 to recovery all the time and get punished.

v3ga

Smash Cadet
in general:
-Rolling twice in a row in any direction is so ugly and makes me cringe
-Players who always use their jump when getting knocked off stage too early
-too much air dodging
-players never going for risky / flashy edge gaurds

:4villager:: not taking advantage of tree, not taking advantage of pocket, missing lots of slingshots, going for grabs, too many bowling balls, too many dash attacks

Inexorable Doozy

Smash Rookie
I like to view replays featuring my mains in the hopes i'll randomly stumble into something entertaining, and tonight i saw a :4wario2:
go up against a :4diddy:.

The Wario spent what felt like most of the match repeatedly opening and closing his maw, like a goon. He almost won.
I was almost as salty as the peanuts that were fed straight into Wario's mouth.

Agitato

Smash Cadet
NNID
AgitatoEX
3DS FC
1822-1384-9573
:4falcon:- Doesn't know true combos, doesn't know how to read airdodges, uses almost nothing aside from specials and dash grabs. Probably overuses rolls and gets punished for it.

:4myfriends: - always uses Ike's worst moves, and in the most predictable fashion possible. He'll counter three times in a row, charge F-smash on the other side of the stage, try to combo into Aether from a throw, etc.

Combos4Dayz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Combos4Dayz
3DS FC
1392-8440-5699
I cringe every time I see a Mario try to spam utilts. Especially dthrow to utilt.

It never works.

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
:4kirby:- Excessive use of his specials, especially Final Cutter and Stone. I like to use Stone to escape juggles and Final Cutter to spike people hanging on ledges, but I don't use them much outside of that. Watching someone use them throughout an entire match makes me die a little inside.

:4lucas:- PK Fire spam. I'm pretty sure this one is obvious.

:4villager:- People who spend the entire match camping at one end of the stage. It seems like 90% of people who play Villager on For Glory forget that he/she can do other things besides camp and spam Lloid and slingshot.

:4bowser:/:4yoshi:- Bowser Bomb/Yoshi Bomb spam. Bowser Bomb is good for breaking shields and both are good for interrupting juggles, but you shouldn't use them every 3 seconds, like some FG players do.

Last edited:

Kee-wyvern

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-7959-9273
:4samus:: - trying to give the dash attack way more mileage than they can afford (predictable/consecutive).

- trying to combat from above, especially when they don't realize how broadcasted their dair is.

- not using super missile into charge shot.

- not understanding how easily their grab can whiff.

- going for very punishable rolls and getting smacked down everytime.

- not using morph ball bombs.

- Lastly, underestimating how dynamite Samus is because they do all of these things.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
:4megaman:
- Throwing out options like F-Smash in neutral for no reason
- Not playing aggressively and purely defensive. Balance your style!
- Not knowing how Specials work and failing to understand the good they can do
- Using Rush Coil when high in the air off stage. Use it when you're low and save your second jump!

:4kirby:
- Using Stone ALL THE TIME
- Not using Final Cutter to recover low
- Attempting to Kirbycide
- Not using Kirby's F-Throw to combo at early and mid percentages
- Copying a Copy Ability that won't help you. Seriously, what good are G&W's sausages going to bring?

Anyone who plays as :4robinm:or:4corrin:instead of my waifus:4robinf: or :4corrinf:, respectively. :)

But on a serious note, people who taunt after doing ANYTHING. Seriously, once on FG I played a Bayonetta who walked up and taunted after a shield break, giving me time to recover and forward smash her. She also once walked right up to me and taunted (and didn't know you can shorten the taunt) as soon as I fell off the revival platform, even though I was right in her face and invincible from the respawn. It was the worst thing ever.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
I hate it whenever I see a Kirby abusing Final Cutter and Stone. It gets a bit tiring when I'm basically repeating the strategy of shielding and punishing the same two moves for nearly the whole match.

GoldTrainRider

Smash Cadet
I've been on my fair share of FG matches, and Bowser jr mains that spam up and side B really grind my gears.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
:4marth:- Counter spam, F-smash spam, never using any tilts, people trying to anti-air with up-smash. Trying to spike when they clearly don't know the timing or the sweet spot. Never going for the tipper damage.
:4myfriends: - Never using down tilt, trying to go for that juicy F-smash hard read (that never, ever connects), using side-B while on-stage and holding it for over a minute. Never utilizing Ike's great aerials.
:4ganondorf: - Camping a ledge to try and Ganoncide (especially if they don't realize that the other fighter still has 2 lives and they have 1), spamming side-B to tech chase, failing the d-air spike of disrespect.
:4link: - Projectile spam. Hoo boy, This one REALLY steams me good. (especially when they're camping on one side of the map), F-smash spam, constantly missing with the Clawshot.
:4littlemac:- Smash attack spam, side-B'ing off the stage, missing the KO punch after trying to trap their opponent. When they try to edge guard and suck really badly at it.
:4feroy: / :4lucina:- Basically the same as Marth's, but minus the tipper part.

Here's some general ones that annoy the crap out of me on for glory:

- Taunting when they're losing, players who like to go into an epileptic fit with their character's movement/aerial attacks whenever you're star KO'ed. Playing too defensively/camping, people being abrasive ***** with their tags in the lobby (REALLY hope Ultimate fixes this.) Using up-tilt combos over and over again.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Going back to Robin, although it's not particularly cringe-worthy, a lot of Robin mains underestimate the usefulness of the Bronze Sword. They're often in favor of using the Levin Sword instead, which even though it can combo at low percentages, stale negation makes getting a kill move with it much harder. What's more is that it often breaks, and then they're left without a decent KO option, which can be troublesome. The Bronze Sword on the other hand, doesn't break, so it's useful for racking up percentages while also maintaining the Levin Sword's crisp and clean killing potential.

Top Bottom