• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crazy Hand v1.31 - Character editing program

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Hey Tater Tater , I just want you to know about something I did using CrazyHand-- Although it might not have been used for what you wanted, quite a few people now know about melee modding, and when they investigated my channel they learned about CrazyHand... and now use it. I made this modification using your tool which is being showcased in this video to over 27,000 people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J32W6ngg3UMite it was also live streamed.

I don't really know what to say but thanks, I hope you don't hate me for it.

EDIT: My channel is Cheezball8, you can see me in the comment section. Also it isn't available for download if anyone is wondering.
Dude, I don't hate you for it at all. This is great! Any exposure for Crazy Hand is good :)

Also just gotta say, I love Luigi's butt fire.

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
Is there anyway you can change the hitboxes of the reflector in Crazy Hand? Is it considered a projectile? Do I need the hex editor?

Tater Tater I'm glad, thanks dude. I was watching his stream last night and he said he might edit a short video of it for the main channel. That video was the full stream, and on the full stream channel.

Last edited:

blackmesaind

Smash Rookie
I've seen other people in this thread have this bug, and tried everything that you guys have said, but nothing has worked. CrazyHand wont start up for me, and if it does, then it just crashes instantly. When I try to do the Batch fix, it says that "Invalid or Corrupt file CrazyHand.zip". I uninstalled WinRar, no profit. I tried changing the extension, no profit. I tried the different Javas (JavaW, Java) no profit. I've "Opened With", no profit. I probably made a stupid mistake somewhere, and I would love if you guys could help me. I'm on a Windows 10.

snuffysam

Smash Apprentice
I'm not entirely sure how the program is supposed to modify the ISO files. I can click the modify ISO button, and the ISO's date modified updates accordingly, but nothing is different when I run the ISO in dolphin, and when I load the ISO in Crazy Hand again, it looks like a clean Melee file.

Is this because I'm on a Mac?

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
I've seen other people in this thread have this bug, and tried everything that you guys have said, but nothing has worked. CrazyHand wont start up for me, and if it does, then it just crashes instantly. When I try to do the Batch fix, it says that "Invalid or Corrupt file CrazyHand.zip". I uninstalled WinRar, no profit. I tried changing the extension, no profit. I tried the different Javas (JavaW, Java) no profit. I've "Opened With", no profit. I probably made a stupid mistake somewhere, and I would love if you guys could help me. I'm on a Windows 10.
You need to extract the files inside CrazyHand.zip; The .zip is just a container for all the program's files.

I'm not entirely sure how the program is supposed to modify the ISO files. I can click the modify ISO button, and the ISO's date modified updates accordingly, but nothing is different when I run the ISO in dolphin, and when I load the ISO in Crazy Hand again, it looks like a clean Melee file.

Is this because I'm on a Mac?
Operating system shouldn't have an influence on edits. Did you hit the save button after making changes? If that didn't work, try randomizing characters(In the "Other" menu) to see if the program is writing changes at all.

snuffysam

Smash Apprentice
Ah, the save button! Boy, that thing sure blends in with the background.

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
I hate to ask Tater, but what can we expect in the next update of crazyhand? I can understand if you haven't been working on it because of school or other reasons.

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody know of a way to increase the number of missiles Samus can have active at one time? Currently the game only allows 2 on screen for each Samus (homing or super). If you fire a 3rd missile, the missile that has been out the longest explodes. This seems weird to me, considering virtually every other projectile in the game allows for as many projectiles as the game will handle (Mario/Luigi fireballs, Link/Yink arrows, Fox/Falco laser, etc... even Samus' bombs!)

I assume somewhere there is a flag that limits the number of missiles Samus is able to to have active but I haven't been able to find one. Anybody know where it might be?

Edit: I've tested every value in PlSs.dat from location 0x0000-0x4D88 that contains a value of 2 (hex value 0x40000000) and none of them seemed to control the number of missiles allowed.

I did accidentally find something that seems to control the height of her morph ball while rolling though...

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
I assume somewhere there is a flag that limits the number of missiles Samus is able to to have active but I haven't been able to find one. Anybody know where it might be?
must be hard-coded in the DOL

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
How does the random attribute works for the hitbox? I tried applying it to Falcon's Fair, but it isn't working...

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I'm having an odd technical issue. The program ran just fine the first time I tried it, but after I ran it in Dolphin once that command proceeded to stop working, and upon closing and reopening it, it now lets me select the ISO and then... closes. It doesn't even pop an error message, the program just kinda stops. Using the unfinished development version doesn't help either, it does the same thing.

Last edited:

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
I'm having an odd technical issue. The program ran just fine the first time I tried it, but after I ran it in Dolphin once that command proceeded to stop working, and upon closing and reopening it, it now lets me select the ISO and then... closes. It doesn't even pop an error message, the program just kinda stops. Using the unfinished development version doesn't help either, it does the same thing.
Try deleting options.cfg in your Crazy Hand folder. Did you modify your Dolphin in any way in the time between running Dolphin from Crazy Hand and closing Crazy Hand?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Try deleting options.cfg in your Crazy Hand folder. Did you modify your Dolphin in any way in the time between running Dolphin from Crazy Hand and closing Crazy Hand?
I adjusted my Controller settings, but that's it. I don't see an options.cfg...?

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
I adjusted my Controller settings, but that's it. I don't see an options.cfg...?
If you don't see an options.cfg at all, that might explain why the program is crashing.

Open up notepad, and save a blank file to your Crazy Hand folder named options.cfg
Under the file name textbox, there should be a button that says "save as type". Select "All Files" and hit the save button. Try running Crazy Hand after that

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
If you don't see an options.cfg at all, that might explain why the program is crashing.

Open up notepad, and save a blank file to your Crazy Hand folder named options.cfg
Under the file name textbox, there should be a button that says "save as type". Select "All Files" and hit the save button. Try running Crazy Hand after that
Still doesn't work. Is there anything I might be able to add to it to make it work?

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Still doesn't work. Is there anything I might be able to add to it to make it work?
I don't think so; Loading a blank options.cfg works fine on my end and the only time Crazy Hand crashes from things relating to options.cfg is when there's an error reading an option(For instance, optDolphinPath: being blank instead of containing a path to where Dolphin is).
Are you running Crazy Hand with a bat file/through command prompt? If you are, is there any error message that appears when it crashes?
If you're just running Crazy Hand the normal way, save a .bat file in your Crazy Hand folder with this text
java -Xmx1100m -Xms1100m -jar "Crazy Hand v1.30.jar"
pause
I can only imagine some obscure error is getting thrown on startup.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
It said that Java wasn't recognized as a command. I'm gonna reinstall Java entirely in case that's somehow the problem.

Edit: Java was now recognized as a command, and from the error it gave I figured out the problem - I had accidentally double-clicked my ISO and mounted it, so CrazyHand couldn't access it. After unmounting, it worked fine. That was entirely on me, but the "file in use by another process" error should probably pop in the app itself.

Last edited:

N00ne

Smash Rookie
How do you increase hitstun without increasing damage or knockback? I'm trying to make Pichu's thunder jolt work like Zero Suit Samus's neutral B (It paralyzes the opponent so you can hit them).

TragicGameplay

Smash Cadet
can someone tell me how to give other characters a shine ive been messing around with it but cant get it properly

Absolome

Smash Cadet
Could anyone explain exactly what continuation control does?

Also, is there any way to find which part of a subroutine moves a character? For example which part makes Pikachu move during up-b, samus go upwards in screw attack, or space animals go sideways with side-b

TheDankbanker

Smash Rookie
Also, is there any way to find which part of a subroutine moves a character? For example which part makes Pikachu move during up-b, samus go upwards in screw attack, or space animals go sideways with side-b
It's usually under the Character Specific Attributes menu and not in the subactions

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Could anyone explain exactly what continuation control does?

(Please note, this is speculation but appears to be correct)
Continuation control is weird; Sometimes removing it doesn't seem to matter, and sometimes it breaks a move. My best guess is that it's used to check if a certain button is pressed at a certain time(For instance, Continuation Control appears in Bowser's neutral-B loop and has influence on whether the loop is finished or not. It also appears in Fox / Falco's side-B which means it may have links to shortening his side-B). I don't know all that much about it, to be honest.

I think Pikachu's movement with up-b is defined in his move logic table(Which is located in Start.dol, not in his character file)
The same goes for Fox / Falco.

For Samus the line labeled "Autocancel" [4C 00 00 00 01] allows her to move upwards.Changing the data to [4C 00 00 00 00] disables it.

Most of the time a script starting with 4X 00 00 00 YY will pertain to movement in some way if the subaction involves movement. Some others have weird scripts like A4 XX YY ZZ that seem to effect movement (Falcon / Ganon's aerial neutral-b). My suggestion is to just tinker with stuff and write down the results.

AmericanTrailMix

Smash Rookie
What moves are you trying to edit when the program starts malfunctioning? Is it Peach in general, or a specific set/category of moves? Also, has Peach been edited in any way on the ISO you're using?

As far as Kirby's specials being un-editable in the "attacks only" section, that is intentional. Mainly because I have to manually enter in certain information regarding each special move.

This is an example
new SubAction(0x127, "(Ground)Neutral-B"),
new SubAction(0x128, "(Air)Neutral-B"),
//and so on for every stage of every special move the character has

It wasn't so bad for normal characters; Most were around 12 entries like the above. (The worst being Game and Watch, with 27 entries because of his hammer)

But Kirby has at least two entries for every neutral-B in the game. When I include his own special move entries(side-B,up-B,etc), this adds up to a total of 173 special move entries that I'd have to manually type out in the format above. I take pride in my work on this program and try to make it as user-friendly as possible, but ya'll can look up your own special moves for Kirby.
I understand the kirby thing, and that's alright then. As for Peach, it's whenever I select the subactions; either window of it causes wierd lag and glitches, and it's impossible to work. I'm modding a 20XX iso, but the glitch happens in normal Melee aswell.

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
I understand the kirby thing, and that's alright then. As for Peach, it's whenever I select the subactions; either window of it causes wierd lag and glitches, and it's impossible to work. I'm modding a 20XX iso, but the glitch happens in normal Melee aswell.
Are you using the most recent release of Crazy Hand (v1.30)? If so, do the same glitches always happen under the same circumstances? I can't reproduce any issues on my end, but I can see a couple of reasons that Peach may cause issues for others.
If you could tell me what operating system you're using, which version of Java, and how you're running Crazy Hand (Right-click -> Open or using a .bat file to open it) I can narrow down the issue quickly.

Kaleb I.A.

Smash Rookie
Is there a thing that tells you which DAT file is which character. PISk is sheik or something but I don't get it

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Is there a thing that tells you which DAT file is which character. PISk is sheik or something but I don't get it
Bowser - PlKp.dat
Captain Falcon - PlCa.dat
Doctor Mario - PlDr.dat
Donkey Kong - PlDk.dat
Falco - PlFc.dat
Fox - PlFx.dat
Game & Watch - PlGw.dat
Ganondorf - PlGn.dat
Popo - PlPp.dat
Nana - PlNn.dat
Jigglypuff - PlPr.dat
Kirby - PlKb.dat
Luigi - PlLg.dat
Link - PlLk.dat
Mario - PlMr.dat
Marth - PlMs.dat
Mewtwo - PlMt.dat
Ness - PlNs.dat
Peach - PlPe.dat
Pichu - PlPc.dat
Pikachu - PlPk.dat
Roy - PlFe.dat
Samus - PlSs.dat
Sheik - PlSk.dat
Yoshi - PlYs.dat
Young Link - PlCl.dat
Zelda - PlZd.dat
Male Wireframe - PlBo.dat
Female Wireframe - PlGl.dat
Giga Bowser - PlGk.dat
Sandbag - PlSb.dat
Master Hand - PlMh.dat
Crazy Hand - PlCh.dat

Trivia:
Bowser is PlKp because he is referred to as 'Koopa' in the game's files. The announcer also calls him 'Koopa' if the language is set to Japanese.

Jigglypuff is PlPr because she is referred to as 'Purin' in the game's files. The announcer also calls her 'Purin' if the language is set to Japanese.

Marth is PlMs because he is referred to as 'Mars' in the game's files. This is his character's name in Japanese.

The 'Fe' in PlFe stands for Fire Emblem, the game series Roy and Marth are from. He might be marked as PlFe because he was a last-minute clone.

Young Link is PlCl because he is Child Link.

For the wireframes, Bo stands for "Boy", and Gl stands for "Girl".

TheDankbanker

Smash Rookie
I don't know where else I would share this so I suppose i'll put it right here.

Hey there Smashboards, I've been working on this project for about 2-3 weeks now and i think i'm finally ready to share the first version with the world (or at the very least this thread). It all started with my friend who really likes to play Melee me casually. He likes to play Samus and I like to mess around with Roy and Ness and similar characters. I started talking competitive Melee to him and he asked me;

"What would it be like for Samus to be top teir?"

At this point I decided to put Crazy Hand to better use (up to this point I had only done, silly things with it, nothing to serious or large scale). So I got to work, and I learned a lot of new things about Crazy hand and Melee in general, I had a blast making this and I'm so excited to share this with everyone.

TLDR: Has anyone ever wondered,

What it would take for Samus to be top teir?

Probably not, but if you are, or you're just looking for something different to try out, why don't you check out Samus 2.0, a large retooling of everyone's favorite intergalactic bounty hunter. This was a labor of love to my passion for Super Smash Bros, and it would be THE coolest thing ever if you would check it out, I spent about 2-3 weeks on this project and any constructive feedback or suggested changes is greatly appreciated. Enough with rambling on though, I present to you Samus 2.0!

Download Link:samus:

To load it up just go into Crazy Hand and go to File--> Load character and load the .dat file. After that, go to the frame speed modifiers and click Import FSM data from file, and select the .txt file. Now lets get to the changes.

There is a lot to cover, so I'll start talking about her general attributes.

Red=Nerf

Green=Buff
Blue=Nerf/Buff that balance each other out
Pink=Completely new move

Movement and General Changes
  • Substantially increased movements on nearly all fronts. Increased dash speed, hugely increased air speed and maneuverability.
  • Massively changed jumping ability, higher full hop, modestly higher air jump, drastically shorter short hop (meaning much much better SHFFL).
  • Substantial decrease in weight (now weighing in at 100 rather than 110), making her easier to KO.
  • Due to the large increase in falling speed, her recovery is noticeably worsened, but can be alleviated with her wall grapple.
Ground Attacks
  • Second jab has much less knockback growth, but it has more base knockback also been made significantly faster.
  • Dash Attack's knockback has been lowered and it does 3% less damage, but has less ending lag and a more vertical knockback angle, leading to better followups.
  • Unangled forward tilt can be interrupted much sooner, upward angled forward tilt does 2% more than unangled, and downward angled forward tilt knocks at a semi-spike angle.
  • Up tilt's knockback has been slightly weakened, but the hitbox properties have been reversed. Up tilt will now knock back at the sakurai angle against grounded opponents and will deliver a moderately powerful meteor smash against aerial opponents.
  • Down tilt's explosion hitbox now delivers mildly weaker 90 degree knockback, and has a much better IASA frames, but the whole animation is slightly slower.
  • Forward smash has been made drastically less powerful, now not able to KO on FD till about 120%, but it does 1% more damage.
  • Up smash is an entirely new move. Samus now thrusts her arm canon up and causes a large explosion at the end. This new up smash is significantly more reliable at KOing due to the lack of multi hit properties. The new animation is much more quick and does 17% damage on the strong hitboxes
  • Down smash is slightly weakened, but a tad bit faster, allowing for potential follow-ups.
Air Attacks
  • All hits of Neutral air do 2% less damage, but the strong hit has slightly more base knockback.
  • Forward Air is now an entirely new move. After a short wind-up, Samus slaps her arm down in a fashion similar to Sheik. This is a single hit move that does 10% damage and, although it has short range, knocks enemies at an evil shallow spike angle (320 Degree angle).
  • Up air now knocks enemies at a angle much more useful for juggling, but does less damage
  • Back air now has a much longer duration, similar to Fox and Falco's back air. It also has a powerful sweetspot on her foot that turns into a weaker hit after 2 frames. The other hitbox's have slightly decreased power
  • Down air is much faster overall, but now does 5 percent less damage.
Throws
  • Forward throw has higher knockback scaling
  • Back throw has higher knockback scaling
  • Down throw now sets the opponent down in front of Samus, much like Fox and Falco's. As a side effect, it will now meteor smash opponents at the edge of the stage.
Special moves
  • Smash missiles have drastically increased knockback and knockback scaling
  • Charge shot now takes 4 extra frames to transition to the next charge level, increasing its overall charge time
And that's it, enjoy!
If you decide to check it out, more balancing tips and proposed changes would be wonderful. Also if you have a low teir hero you want me to do next, feel free to ask! :D

Last edited:

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936

Hey there Smashboards, I've been working on this project for about 2-3 weeks now and i think i'm finally ready to share the first version with the world (or at the very least this thread). It all started with my friend who really likes to play Melee me casually. He likes to play Samus and I like to mess around with Roy and Ness and similar characters. I started talking competitive Melee to him and he asked me;

At this point I decided to put Crazy Hand to better use (up to this point I had only done, silly things with it, nothing to serious or large scale). So I got to work, and I learned a lot of new things about Crazy hand and Melee in general, I had a blast making this and I'm so excited to share this with everyone.

Probably not, but if you are, or you're just looking for something different to try out, why don't you check out Samus 2.0, a large retooling of everyone's favorite intergalactic bounty hunter. This was a labor of love to my passion for Super Smash Bros, and I would be THE coolest thing ever if you would check it out, I spent about 2-3 weeks on this project and any constructive feedback or suggested changes is greatly appreciated. Enough with rambling on though, I present to you Samus 2.0!

To load it up just go into Crazy Hand and go to File--> Load character and load the .dat file. After that, go to the frame speed modifiers and click Import FSM data from file, and select the .txt file. Now lets get to the changes.

Red=Nerf

Green=Buff
Pink=Completely new move

• Substantially increased movements on nearly all fronts. Increased dash speed, hugely increased air speed and maneuverability.
  • Massively changed jumping ability, higher full hop, modestly higher air jump, drastically shorter short hop (meaning much much better SHFFL).
  • Substantial decrease in weight (now weighing in at 100 rather than 110), making her easier to KO.
  • Due to the large increase in falling speed, her recovery is noticeably worsened, but can be alleviated with her wall grapple.
Ground Attacks
  • Second jab has much less knockback growth, but it has more base knockback also been made significantly faster.
  • Dash Attack's knockback has been lowered and it does 3% less damage, but has less ending lag and a more vertical knockback angle, leading to better followups.
  • Unangled forward tilt can be interrupted much sooner, upward angled forward tilt does 2% more than unangled, and downward angled forward tilt knocks at a semi-spike angle.
  • Up tilt's knockback has been slightly weakened, but the hitbox properties have been reversed. Up tilt will now knock back at the sakurai angle against grounded opponents and will deliver a moderately powerful meteor smash against aerial opponents.
  • Down tilt's explosion hitbox now delivers mildly weaker 90 degree knockback, and has a much better IASA frames, but the whole animation is slightly slower.
  • Forward smash has been made drastically less powerful, now not able to KO on FD till about 120%, but it does 1% more damage.
  • Up smash is an entirely new move. Samus now thrusts her arm canon up and causes a large explosion at the end. This new up smash is significantly more reliable at KOing due to the lack of multi hit properties. The new animation is much more quick and does 17% damage on the strong hitboxes
  • Down smash is slightly weakened, but a tad bit faster, allowing for potential follow-ups.
Air Attacks
  • All hits of Neutral air do 2% less damage, but the strong hit has slightly more base knockback.
  • Forward Air is now an entirely new move. After a short wind-up, Samus slaps her arm down in a fashion similar to Sheik. This is a single hit move that does 10% damage and, although it has short range, knocks enemies at an evil shallow spike angle (320 Degree angle).
  • Up air now knocks enemies at a angle much more useful for juggling, but does less damage
  • Back air now has a much longer duration, similar to Fox and Falco's back air. It also has a powerful sweetspot on her foot that turns into a weaker hit after 2 frames. The other hitbox's have slightly decreased power
Throws
  • Down throw now sets the opponent down in front of Samus, much like Fox and Falco's. As a side effect, it will now meteor smash opponents at the edge of the stage.
Special moves
  • Charge shot now takes 4 extra frames to transition to the next charge level, increasing its overall charge time
And that's it, enjoy!
If you decide to check it out, more balancing tips and proposed changes would be wonderful. Also if you have a low teir hero you want me to do next, feel free to ask! :D
This is a great edit! Movement-wise, Samus has much more smooth, free movement but still feels like a natural character that belongs in melee which is not an easy combination. Regarding moveset, I like the changes to up-smash, forward-air, and back-air the most.

There are a couple of things I noticed that may need some more tweaking:

Missiles:
Maybe I'm just a scrub, but I've always had trouble with getting killed offstage with Samus' missiles in vanilla Melee. I'm not sure if her missiles needed to have increased KB/KBG,

Forward air:
This move is seriously good. It knocks opponents away at a spike angle, it has (or feels like it has, at least) a slightly disjointed hitbox that allows for relatively easy reverse forward-airs(which gives the added benefit of spiking the opponent away from Samus)
and has that satisfying "SMACK" sound when it hits.

I feel like knockback growth might need to be scaled back some, just because as it is now you can spike someone with no hope of recovery pretty early into a stock.

I love seeing character edits/balances being made with Crazy Hand, and I hope to see more in the future!

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman

Probably not, but if you are, or you're just looking for something different to try out, why don't you check out Samus 2.0, a large retooling of everyone's favorite intergalactic bounty hunter. This was a labor of love to my passion for Super Smash Bros, and I would be THE coolest thing ever if you would check it out, I spent about 2-3 weeks on this project and any constructive feedback or suggested changes is greatly appreciated. Enough with rambling on though, I present to you Samus 2.0!

Red=Nerf

Green=Buff
Pink=Completely new move

Ground Attacks
Air Attacks
Throws
Special moves
And that's it, enjoy!
She's... so beastly!

Yumoda

Smash Rookie
A special code is required to enable multi jumps in melee...kind of like a special code was required to enable healing instead of self-damage. You can request codes in the melee code section: http://smashboards.com/forums/melee-codes.526/

I would but I've spammed that page >.>;

not sure about sfx
Thanks! I'm fine with the sfx now, I just use sfx from other characters. I'm currently making a mod which makes every character broken so it's balanced, kinda like brawl minus. It has stuff like falco spamming lasers as fast as you can press B, up throw rest insta killing and working on every character, and knee killing super early, having a ton of fun with this program

Aerros11

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! I'm fine with the sfx now, I just use sfx from other characters. I'm currently making a mod which makes every character broken so it's balanced, kinda like brawl minus. It has stuff like falco spamming lasers as fast as you can press B, up throw rest insta killing and working on every character, and knee killing super early, having a ton of fun with this program
I did just the opposite and tried to make everyone A tier.
Modding an old favorite game is definitely fun as hell! O:
Succeed or not, I hope you at least enjoy it.

Achilles has a mod for falco and fox to slow down their lasers btw. I'm not sure if it was included as like a "starter pack" in DRGN's Melee Code Manager but you should look into it regardless:

http://smashboards.com/threads/mele...-add-codes-to-your-game.416437/#post-20306146

Cheers~

TheDankbanker

Smash Rookie
This is a great edit! Movement-wise, Samus has much more smooth, free movement but still feels like a natural character that belongs in melee which is not an easy combination. Regarding moveset, I like the changes to up-smash, forward-air, and back-air the most.

There are a couple of things I noticed that may need some more tweaking:

Missiles:
Maybe I'm just a scrub, but I've always had trouble with getting killed offstage with Samus' missiles in vanilla Melee. I'm not sure if her missiles needed to have increased KB/KBG,

Forward air:
This move is seriously good. It knocks opponents away at a spike angle, it has (or feels like it has, at least) a slightly disjointed hitbox that allows for relatively easy reverse forward-airs(which gives the added benefit of spiking the opponent away from Samus)
and has that satisfying "SMACK" sound when it hits.

I feel like knockback growth might need to be scaled back some, just because as it is now you can spike someone with no hope of recovery pretty early into a stock.

I love seeing character edits/balances being made with Crazy Hand, and I hope to see more in the future!
Hey Tater. I'm so excited that you actually tried out my work and even more excited that you like it!

I can see where you are coming from with the Missiles. That may have been a change I made very early on into the project, and after thinking about it a little more & messing around with vanilla Samus missiles, i'll probably change them up a bit. And the homing missiles, i have some great ideas for those.

Forward air and back air is what I spent the most time on, with the former taking about 3-3.5 hours from conception to finish. I really tried to make it as natural as possible but when you are using a very fast animation meant for throwing an item and try to turn it into an attack, there are plenty of things that the engine does to mess it up.

This is the second frame that forward air is active, this is also the frame where forward air reaches out the farthest. There is already a slight disjoint due to the imprecise nature of hitboxes in Melee. But because the animation for throwing an item is so fast the interpolation gets a bit crazy. It's even worse in the next frame

This is the third active frame. Because hitbox interpolation and the odd animation the far reaching hitbox from the last frame sticks around for an additional frame. This can lead to some problems with hitting stuff that doesn't really look like it should have been hit. I doubt this will get fixed since its a byproduct of the game engine. I hope its not too much of an issue

I would like to hear your opinions about some of her other moves, maybe her back air and up smash? And what characters would you want me to try my hand at next? I'm thinking maybe Roy or Kirby, but I always work on stuff that other people request first. :3

Pokerdude49

Smash Rookie
I just got a new computer that runs windows 10. When I tried to re-download crazy hand on it (I had it working just fine on windows 7) The files I download aren't the same. Everything is the same except the jar file that I could run is instead replaced by a winrar thing titled "crazy hand v1.30.jar" and inside it has folders labeled "com" "isotool" and "META-INF". How can I load the actual program?

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
I just got a new computer that runs windows 10. When I tried to re-download crazy hand on it (I had it working just fine on windows 7) The files I download aren't the same. Everything is the same except the jar file that I could run is instead replaced by a winrar thing titled "crazy hand v1.30.jar" and inside it has folders labeled "com" "isotool" and "META-INF". How can I load the actual program?
It sounds like windows is opening Crazy Hand with winrar. If you opened a .jar file with winrar beforehand, windows may have set winrar to be the default program for dealing with .jar files.

I'll walk you through step-by-step to fix this (However, I'm using Windows 7 so some menu options may look different.)
First, go to your Crazy Hand folder and right click on Crazy Hand v1.30.jar -> Properties

Now you should see a window like the one below. Click on the Change... button.

Now the menu that pops up may or may not show an option labeled Java(TM) SE Platform Binary. If it does, select it and hit the "OK" button. Otherwise, click on the Browse... button.

Head on over to C:\Program Files\Java
This folder is where all versions of Java are kept. Since you have a new computer, you'll most likely only have one folder. If you have more than one, click on the folder that starts with "jre" and has the highest version number after it (I.E jre1.8.0 instead of jre1.4.2).

Next, click on the "bin" folder...

And finally, select "javaw.exe" and then double-click Crazy Hand v1.30.jar

If that doesn't work for some reason, repeat these steps but instead select "java.exe".

Hope this helps :)

Top Bottom