• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPU tier list

Candide

Smash Apprentice
I can't seem to find any official word on this in the forum, so someone respectable tell me or give me a link and close the thread:
-what's the accepted tier list for CPUs? (Basically, with no ATs) (And Zelda/Sheik seems to transform often and randomly, so I believe that would be one character).
- And, would you say #-stocking lvl 9's correlates with skill at all? i. e., if I can 5-stock lvl 9 Marths, Foxes, etc., (killing 5 times without dying) is the 5 at all an accurate measure of my skill level?

Overload

Smash Lord
I don't know how hard all lvl 9s are but I do think fox would be top, followed by samus? Worst is most likely bowser.

To your last question: That would only prove your skill against cpus, which doesn't really help in human matches, in fact it can hurt you and most likely will.

Practice on lvl 1 computers. (some people recommend level 4 because they are supposed to have the best DI)

Candide

Smash Apprentice
Practice on lvl 1 computers. (some people recommend level 4 because they are supposed to have the best DI)
Hm, that's odd. Now why on earth would lvl 4 have BETTER DI than lvl 9? Seems like idiotic programming to me.
Ooh, but that brings up another question: if lvl 9s have so many flaws including purposefully bad DI, has anyone ever attempted to hack computers to l-cancel, wavedash, shine spike and such, and/or to improve their AI? I mean, they even seem kinda like beta versions at times, like when they fall right into your upsmash, or when CF just randomly stands still, then upBs into nothing.

Overload

Smash Lord
I meant best DI with least difficulty. Same DI as lvl 9 as far as I understand. CPUs don't matter, only way to get better is to practice with people.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ganon is really good and ***** but he's inconsistent. If he doesn't Up+B off the stage and SD repeatedly the jab combos kill everyone 'cuz all the CPUs di into them so he gets like jab jab jab up+B combos.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
i play level 9 quite a bit, none of them are very good. among the best are marth, dr. mario, peach, link, and pikachu. the spacies, capt falcon, zelda/sheik are pretty much trash. but it's hard to say because they're all pretty awful by human standards, they kill themselves quite a bit, and their quality of play is pretty random. i have noticed that characters with good jab tend to make better cps since the cps jab a lot. but again it's pretty random. as to the DI, lvl 9s DI smash hits better but not throws and not most combos/weak hits, make of that what you will.
just my opinion, i don't have any evidence to back it up...

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
I play level 1s for general practice because they try to recover and I can still use my C-stick unlike a blank controller and training mode. Find your own comfort level for practice though. I just don't suggest level 9 CPUs at ALL since they make you develop really bad habits.

Matt07

Smash Master
Really? I never found them that harmful. Can you give some examples?
Hmm CPU's make you develope 'bad' habits such as; charging smashes (like most CPU's fall right into them), they never really dodge, they don't have mindgames like humans do (so you will start be really predictable with approaches.)

That's all I can think of right now, but as the others said train on low level computers for practicing combo's.

Hot Sauce

Smash Cadet
Ganon is impossible to attack head on. Peach can frickin combo. And fox and falco always steadily hit the "A" button and drag you to the ends of the earth doing it.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Lvl 9s are great at DIing hits so as to survive (perfect DI in fact I believe) but they also DI every hit so as to stay close to you. They leave hitstun as soon as is humanly(actually CPUly) possible and try to hit you back as soon as they can. So practicing combos on them is bad since they try to stay close to you. Just try CGing a lvl 9 Fox (as Marth) vs. a lvl 1 or 4 Fox. The latter two are more difficult.

Practicing against them extensively IMO will make you play more predicitable since the CPUs themselves are so predictable yes especially lvl 9s. There's some vids on UTube of people 4 stocking 3 lvl 9s without even getting hit since the CPUs will kill themselves.

There is something to practicing against a CPU in Training mode set to evade but then you can't use the Cstick so your furked.

My humble not-so-pro or expert opinion is to practice combos on lvl 4 CPUs and practice you movement. Being as fluid as possible will allow you to move deceptively in matches which leads to better mindgames. You can't practice mindgames against CPUs but an ability to move anywhere on a whim about the stage will give you an advantage in real battles.

Now if you'll excuse me I was just reminded how much I love this game and I'm off to play some. I feel as if I'm having a mental breakthrough. That or I'm just really bored.

EDIT: Yea I definetly thought this list was a ranking of CPUs pitted against each other or something which sounds kind of useless but still interesting to know. Sorry if I got carried away.

null55

Smash Master
Level 9's are extremely ********. AAAs and random dash grabs.

Candide

Smash Apprentice
Good advice, IrArby... but seeing as how we've established that CPUs are so generally awful and that a tier list of garbage isn't much help anyway, and since there is no online Melee, I still wonder: has anyone heard of any research into writing codes to make the CPUs more competitive? I think Melee is really lacking without one now that a sizable portion of the community that was simply waiting for Brawl's online to reduce this demand has gone back to Melee and created demand again.

(Edit: but I would still greatly appreciate a CPU tier list from a respected member)

IrArby

Smash Ace
Dash Dancing CPUs would be pretty sweet though. Right now they don't even run so . . . Yea we've got our work cut out for us.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
fox is best from what ive expierenced. ive even seen some crazy stuff done by lvl 9 fox like ledgetech bair, shl, shine spike me when i fowardb with my falco, and even a chaingrab. freaky stuff

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
TOURNAMENT MODE!!! (use it to find the level nine tier list XD)

I agree with the guy who said that Marth and Peach are good level nines. I usually practice against 4's, but sometimes I get bored... Anyway, spacies are so dumb. Just sit with your back to the edge with marth and dthrow > Fsmash. It's that easy. Also, put them up on a platform on Pokemon Stadium or Marth's... I mean Yoshi's Island and kill them ken beasting chillin style.

In mine and lots of people's opinions, being able to consistently 5-stock level nines shows a NEGATIVE correlation to skill. Congratulations, you just started only using the moves/tactics that level nines fall for every time, and made yourself extremely predictable and you will probably have a harder time adapting to vs human tactics.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
On level nine Marths, backthrow>shinespike. Works every time, sadly. Only use Cpu's for working on technicals, not for actual gameplay. No spacie opponent would ever UpB AWAY from the stage. IMO, I think that Link is the hardest CPU.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
you really only develop bad habits playing lvl 9s if you play to win. if you treat it more as practice and use the cp to pressure you while you practice landing shffled aerials or something, then you don't develop as many bad habits. the one thing that is unavoidable is getting used to the lvl 9 DI which is an incredibly inaccurate substitute for intelligent (human) DI.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Fox is the worst with annoying jabs but I have actually had him put combos on me when I wasn't expecting it. And lol I see spacies UpB away from the stage alot and I still don't really get it. I agree Link is up there but Ganon and Marth are pretty hard to approach too.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
oh is this human vs cpu?

i thought it was cpu vs cpu LOL.

fail by me for not reading the OP.

best cpu is probably marth then.

Smash Master
I've seen a Lvl 4 Ganon beat a Lvl 9 Bowser.

CPU's don't sheild when you jump above them and dair, humans do. That's a bad habit I got into from playing against too many Lvl 9 CPUs; not landing behind my opponent.

Top Bottom