• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Couple of problems - need some help

>Bert<

Smash Ace
Here's my issue, I've mained Falco for the past 4 months now (I know its not a long time, but I used to main Link and I've come a loooong way in this game ever since I was introduced to the smash boards). I've got just about everything down from wavedashes, to crouch cancelling, DI'ing, SHL, etc, etc. I was just told at a recent tournament that I don't put enough pressure on the char's I'm playing against. I get a couple good hits in and then I kinda retreat back and SHL for a while until they come to me. When I started the technique of pressuring them, I've been getting owned pretty badly. I've been keeping my pace though aginst Marth's (SHL -> WD back -> fsmash - the Marth usually falls for this and tries to grab and ends up getting a foot in the face). But other char's like Ganon, Falcon, Doc, Sheik, and sometimes Peach usually end up reading me like a book and therefore I get 2 stocked or some dumb thing.
Any techniques you guys can point me in on the right direction to help resolve this? I've read the char. matchups thread. I CONSTANTLY watch players like Mango, Dr. PeePee, Shiz, PC Chris, and Calle W play as Falco to try to understand this a bit better but nothig seems to work. Any help?
Sorry for the length of this.....
Thanks in advance!

Incronaut

Smash Ace
what youre asking is for general advice for extremely situational things... most people would say to either be more specific or show videos so we can help you better...

as for general advice, i would say start by learning the matchup: learn how to combo them, learn how to space against them, etc.

like for marth, youll either want to be far away lasering them while mind-gaming them into an approach, or be right in their face and pressuring them (with grabs)

or for peach, watch out for down smash haha...

but like i said before, these are extremely general advice(s?) and yeah... prolly not gonna help that much especially when playstyles change and the like happens...

also, i guess as more general but somewhat helpful advice, work on breaking habits too, you dont want to catch yourself doing obvious things that people can punish you for (like for me its spot dodging against marths, which i still need to find other/better options to do too) so yeah...

good luck! any questions, feel free to ask

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Are you mixing up your pressure? Its hard to get owned if you alternate between regular pillar, super delayed Nair/dair pillar, multishining, shine grabbing, forcing rolls by going behind them etc.
If youre being predictable you'll find yourself getting shieldgrabbed a lot.

I'm with incronaut though, im not all that sure what you want help with, and videos would make it much easier to help you

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
You need to get your basics down before anyone can really critique you.

You kinda just... down-smashed over and over, and the Sheik was horrendous so it worked.

No offense meant, of course. But I really wouldn't know where to start in critiquing.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
^ my thoughts exactly. falco is about laser control and shine based combos and stuff. you were just attacking at random or waiting for sheik to hit your shield so you could grab her. watch a bunch of videos of falco vs sheik, try to implement the things you see there, and ask us about why things do or don't work.

PKSTkimo

Smash Cadet
I saw the vid and the first thing I can say is that YOU NEED TO LASER MORE (a lot more). If you laser correctly you can reach your opponent without getting pwnd, also, doing standard pillaring is really good against sheik (and most of the chars). Master the standard technichal stuff (waveshining, SHLing, SHFFLing).

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Lol I do know my shine combo's, but I always felt as if it always came back around and bit me in the ***. I'm not sure whether you guys want to see any more of me playing, but here is another vid against a different friend of mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uj4J-3Vs0o
Same deal as last time. You seem to be just tossing out random stuff, and since your opponents are... bad (no offense), it works.

Play better people. :p

Top Bottom