• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Countering Uairs?

Gaylude

Smash Rookie
My nephew, who jumps from main to main but is now frequenting Ness, Ness CPU, and Fox CPU all like to spam the Uair. I understand that DI would easily get me out of this situation, as well as using my Up-B (Pikachu), but I want to know if there's any 100% proven way to punish the spammer on the come-down, as it would make me feel better about being spammed in the air.

Avoiding then punishing proves useful, but once I've avoided, tech, then go after them, I want them to know that I'm punishing them because of their spam. I'm attempting to DI away from them until i'm out of hitstun, then fastfall back with a dair, but somehow the computers always overpower it. Same with neut and bair, but bair proves most useful. I suppose the best way to go about this is to screw with their timing by avoiding then fastfalling with the dair, but the computers always catch it.

Sedda

Smash Champion
some moves are better than others (fox uair is really good), but you can get around that stuff if all your opponent does is SPAM it, because you KNOW that it's coming. that's all the info you really need.

being above several characters is really tough (im looking at you, falcon), but there are a few things you can do:
-dont spam your double jump in the neutral. only use it if you need to. if you still have your double jump as youre coming down after being juggled, you can bait another uair from the enemy (remember, if you know it's coming, you can avoid it) and double jump away (left/right).
-against certain characters, you can only TRADE with their uair at best. if dair isnt working for you, all of the other aerials. this isnt the best scenario ever, but at least the other person will have to think twice about hitting you if theyre at high-ish percents.
-dont fast fall all the time.
-this may sound too obvious, but dont just fall into it. youre saying that the cpu does the same thing over and over... if thats the case, dont do the same thing and fall into it over and over again.
-this experience should tell you something about matchups. there are some matchups in which you should generally avoid being directly above/below the opposite character. if being above them doesnt work and gets you punished too hard, try a grounded approach.

-dont play against cpu's too often if youre planning to get good. they dont play like humans and humans dont play like cpus. even if, for example, your nephew cant beat a lvl 5 cpu, it's still better to play against him than a lvl 9 cpu because he's going to try to adapt to what youre doing.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
My nephew, who jumps from main to main but is now frequenting Ness, Ness CPU, and Fox CPU all like to spam the Uair. I understand that DI would easily get me out of this situation, as well as using my Up-B (Pikachu), but I want to know if there's any 100% proven way to punish the spammer on the come-down, as it would make me feel better about being spammed in the air.

Avoiding then punishing proves useful, but once I've avoided, tech, then go after them, I want them to know that I'm punishing them because of their spam. I'm attempting to DI away from them until i'm out of hitstun, then fastfall back with a dair, but somehow the computers always overpower it. Same with neut and bair, but bair proves most useful. I suppose the best way to go about this is to screw with their timing by avoiding then fastfalling with the dair, but the computers always catch it.
cpu's pretty much react to your actions with inhuman speed, so trying to "trick" the cpu with your timing won't really work (of course this could work agaisnt a human). In general if you are stuck above your enemy you are considered to be in a vulnerable position. your best option is to make it back to the ground and return to neutral.

Gaylude

Smash Rookie
-dont spam your double jump in the neutral. only use it if you need to. if you still have your double jump as youre coming down after being juggled, you can bait another uair from the enemy (remember, if you know it's coming, you can avoid it) and double jump away (left/right).
This is probably the most valuable information. While you can't "Teach" computers how to to fight against you, what i'm trying to figure out is the best way to "counter" an uair, specifically from fox or ness. I'm only "trapped" because I'm allowing myself to be. What i'm trying to do here is not beat the opponent, but rather find alternate ways to react to such attacks. Building your arsenal is key to outsmarting your opponent correct?

-dont play against cpu's too often if youre planning to get good. they dont play like humans and humans dont play like cpus. even if, for example, your nephew cant beat a lvl 5 cpu, it's still better to play against him than a lvl 9 cpu because he's going to try to adapt to what youre doing.
Oh I know that. We're the only two people that we have to practice on. Luckily for me, he's not a sore loser. I used to be much better than him and his brother, but as I got better (and by better, i mean stray away from spam dodge-roll and grabs and evolve into combos and advanced play), he decided that he would have to get better if he wanted to play our favorite game and actually enjoy the battles, rather than them just be a slaughter. He can whoop lv 9-s and our battles are usually close as long as I don't use pikachu (I like to be balanced with most characters, but I'm just too good as pikachu for anybody that I can actually spar with).

-against certain characters, you can only TRADE with their uair at best. if dair isnt working for you, all of the other aerials. this isnt the best scenario ever, but at least the other person will have to think twice about hitting you if theyre at high-ish percents.
I had begun to consider this was my fate, until you said it. Now I know that's as far as I will get. The closest I can get to what I want is DI right beside their uair hitbox and hopefully weak neut to start a ridiculous combo. As Pikachu, I can easily escape an uair spammer by B+up-ing around them, to the ground, then catching their aerial with my own, or an up-smash, i suppose.

cpu's pretty much react to your actions with inhuman speed, so trying to "trick" the cpu with your timing won't really work (of course this could work agaisnt a human). In general if you are stuck above your enemy you are considered to be in a vulnerable position. your best option is to make it back to the ground and return to neutral.
I'm not sure "trick" was the right word, but throw them off? Like have I another jump to spare, I could fastfall towards the cpu, and as i see them leap for the uair, quickly hop then fastfall again to a dair? Nahm-sayn?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
This is probably the most valuable information. While you can't "Teach" computers how to to fight against you, what i'm trying to figure out is the best way to "counter" an uair, specifically from fox or ness. I'm only "trapped" because I'm allowing myself to be. What i'm trying to do here is not beat the opponent, but rather find alternate ways to react to such attacks. Building your arsenal is key to outsmarting your opponent correct?
Don't think of it as "Can I beat that aerial? How do I beat it?" but more like "what's the risk/reward scenario for trying to beat it?"

I'm assuming the matchup is pika vs fox's upair? As pika, the only move you can possibly use is dair. What do you gain from landing that dair? You'll knock fox back and make him take some damage. What happens if you lose? You take on damage instead and fox can do a potential juggle/combo on you for extra damage and possibly death. You might even die from the uair alone if you're at high enough percent. Unless fox is at really high damage, your risk is higher because this encounter favors fox. Based on this, it doesn't seem like a good risk/reward scenario so you should try to work around it instead of trying to beat it head on.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I'm not sure "trick" was the right word, but throw them off? Like have I another jump to spare, I could fastfall towards the cpu, and as i see them leap for the uair, quickly hop then fastfall again to a dair? Nahm-sayn?
i think i see what you are saying. you could try it. but i'm pretty sure by the time your jump animation is finished and you begin to fast fall again, the cpu will already be out of attack lag and able to attack again(unless you are using jiggs or kirby). give it a try tho see what happens.

Top Bottom