• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

countering A-A-A combos

bakedbeans

Smash Rookie
Does anyone else have a really hard time against characters with fast A-A-A combos? Specifically, the non-infinite ones give me the hardest time (such as Ike or Lucas), as they seem to have a bit more range/priority than infinite ones in general.

So far, none of the obvious counters seem to have much success. Things like dash attack and falcon kick usually get deflected, then they start up another A-A-A before you can react. Short hop Nair is usually avoided due to the upwards hitbox, then you fall right into the combo.

Normally, you would think falcon's A-A-A combo would be the best counter, but the range on the first two punches seems pitifully short compared to other neutral A combos. I can rarely get it to connect unless I end a roll at point blank range next to them.

Since these fast A-A-A combos tend to be one of the biggest damage dealers to me, im kinda curious what you guys do to deal with them?

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
You could do a dashing shield grab.
You could short hop over them while airdodging then Raptor Boost back towards them
Stutter-stepped Forward Smash would probably do the job
Your tilts would probably do the job

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even the level 1s can perfect shield against those attacks at times. Don't you hate it when the moves that prevent grabs get blocked and you STILL get grabbed?

bakedbeans

Smash Rookie
You could do a dashing shield grab.
You could short hop over them while airdodging then Raptor Boost back towards them
Stutter-stepped Forward Smash would probably do the job
Your tilts would probably do the job
well, my problem is this:
-I usually cant get the shield dash -> shield grab off because the AAA pushes me back far enough that im out of grab range... falcon really doesnt like stretching those arms
-falcons tilts are too slow to compete with AAA's and their range is hardly any better if at all

I do find that airdodging works pretty well most of time, but sometimes it gets too predictable if you do it all the time. Ive also had a bit of luck with stutterstep Fsmashes, but the range increase usually isnt enough to make a difference unless theyre just standing still holding the a button.

As for spot dodging, ive found that almost never works against AAA's...if you dodge the first or second hit youll still get hit by the third, if you dodge the last hit you dont get knocked back and theyll start up another AAA before you can do anything.

Do you guys really not have a problem with AAA moves? Maybe its because the people I play against use mostly Ike and Lucas, both of which are known for their annoying AAA combos.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
AAA combos are probably the most unpunishable things in the game. And they're really good too. People like Snake and Ike really can just revolve their game around using the AAA combo because there's nothing really you can do against it. It does as much damage as a tilt (or more) with a ridiculously lower punish probability.

If anyone had truly reliable and effective tactics which countered the AAA combo, the forming tier list would look MUCH different. Snake and Ike would take massive hits. The reality is that AAA combo is a ridiculously powerful weapon on Brawl.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
ergh.. as snake, I have a difficult time against people simply block the first and sidestep the next two hits. Recently, I've just thrown one punch and grabbed. lol?

Top Bottom