• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter Timber and Extreme Ballon Trip might get banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I know I have been making way too many topics, but this is bad for us Villager's, very bad.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/71463991

This post describes everything about the situation. ZeRo and M2K are the most well-known players. Anything they say or propose will be heard by everyone, and it might just happen. The reason I say this bad is because our customs can help us with our more tougher MU's.

Let's not let this happen guys. Our Villager is strong, but he/she isn't that strong...

Last edited:

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Villager already has an arsenal of unique and extremely effective tools. I personally don't find his / her customs necessary to make up for anything. I mean, even if they do ban them, it's not like it's going to cripple the character.

Though I maintain my opinion, determining that it's impossible to combat from one event where it was possibly the first time it's ever been utilized before in official competitive play, is extremely dumb. They should experiment against it first, and fortify methods and strategies to get around it before automatically whining and claiming that it needs to be banned before putting any effort to fully understand it.

To all their own I suppose.

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
There is no need to ban customs on Villager. The explosive balloons and tripping sapling is very annoying, but there are ways around it.

Ness can spam PK Fire toward the ledge and pop both balloons, the PK Fire will sink downward off stage and hit Villager as he tries to up b again. Ness can also absorb the balloons, and pushy Lloid to heal.

Fox, Falco can use lasers to pop balloons.

Megamans shirukens and regular B pop balloons.

These are just the strategies that instantly come to mind. As we saw with the ADHD matches, other characters can develop and win matches if they adapt. Both Villagers custom moves have big weaknesses, just exploit and move on

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
There is no need to ban customs on Villager. The explosive balloons and tripping sapling is very annoying, but there are ways around it.

Ness can spam PK Fire toward the ledge and pop both balloons, the PK Fire will sink downward off stage and hit Villager as he tries to up b again. Ness can also absorb the balloons, and pushy Lloid to heal.

Fox, Falco can use lasers to pop balloons.

Megamans shirukens and regular B pop balloons.

These are just the strategies that instantly come to mind. As we saw with the ADHD matches, other characters can develop and win matches if they adapt. Both Villagers custom moves have big weaknesses, just exploit and move on
I agree with exploiting the customs, but I don't think anyone has manually tried to pop Villager's balloons and been succesful.

Last edited:

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
I agree with exploiting the customs, but I don't think anyone has manually tried to pop Villager's balloons and been succesful.
People never intend to target only the ballons. But, a couple days ago I was fooling around with customs and played a Ness who caught on after accidentally doing it with PK fire. Needless to say, I wasnt able to camp on the edge much more after that. Same scenario with megaman, since that shuriken comes back and hits twice

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Villager already has an arsenal of unique and extremely effective tools. I personally don't find his / her customs necessary to make up for anything. I mean, even if they do ban them, it's not like it's going to cripple the character.

Though I maintain my opinion, determining that it's impossible to combat from one event where it was possibly the first time it's ever been utilized before in official competitive play, is extremely dumb. They should experiment against it first, and fortify methods and strategies to get around it before automatically whining and claiming that it needs to be banned before putting any effort to fully understand it.

That's ignorance for ya, even if they say it why would anyone even bother thinking the same thing without evidence or personal experience?
If these two are gonna be babies over something that they have no experience with/didn't understand is completely idiotic.

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791

Like you said, banning this, let alone any custom in the game, is unnecessary at this point. The metagame needs to develop first, and banning things will only hinder that. We've barely seen customs used at all, so we should at least wait until EVO, where I doubt M2K and ZeRo will be hurt much by this.

And if we're really going to hop onto this ban-wagon (:seuss:), then we should just straight up ban Diddy, since he's clearly too strong and unfair to the game /sarcasm. Let's see how they like the ban idea then...

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Like you said, banning this, let alone any custom in the game, is unnecessary at this point. The metagame needs to develop first, and banning things will only hinder that. We've barely seen customs used at all, so we should at least wait until EVO, where I doubt M2K and ZeRo will be hurt much by this.

And if we're really going to hop onto this ban-wagon (:seuss:), then we should just straight up ban Diddy, since he's clearly too strong and unfair to the game /sarcasm. Let's see how they like the ban idea then...
I really hope you can tell this to their faces some time...... That would be awesome :)
Let's hear their pathetic excuse now.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer

It seems like an excuse not to lab and learn strategies to maneuver around it to me, cause you know that would require too much "work", and it might require them to do something "different" than the typical Diddy crap.

God forbid, if Diddy can't make it past something and d-throw to u-air without any effort, let's label it as overpowered and slap a ban on it! That way Diddy can remain at the top of the tier-list, am I right?! Totally legit!

And before someone says, "but Nairo--!!!" What about Nairo? Nairo's an overly aggressive player, and Villager counteracts that type of playstyle extremely well. It's only natural if you're not playing with some sort of patience against a Villager, he / she is going to feed off of that anxiety, and force you to dance. When's the last time you saw Nairo spar with a top-level Villager, aside from this recent event? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall never. Not only did Nairo have barely any experience in the match-up, but the lack of knowledge of the customs didn't make it any easier for him to adapt correctly. It had nothing to do with the custom set being "uncombatable". Even top level players are going to flub against something they've never had to face before.

Point being; banning this just because it had one round of known succession won't solve anything. M2k and ZeRo need to cease their little hoo-haa party, and actually make the effort to hit the lab and figure this out.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
It seems like an excuse not to lab and learn strategies to maneuver around it to me, cause you know that would require too much "work", and it might require them to do something "different" than the typical Diddy crap.

God forbid, if Diddy can't make it past something and d-throw to u-air without any effort, let's label it as overpowered and slap a ban on it! That way Diddy can remain at the top of the tier-list, am I right?! Totally legit!

And before someone says, "but Nairo--!!!" What about Nairo? Nairo's an overly aggressive player, and Villager counteracts that type of playstyle extremely well. It's only natural if you're not playing with some sort of patience against a Villager, he / she is going to feed off of that anxiety, and force you to dance. When's the last time you saw Nairo spar with a top-level Villager, aside from this recent event? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall never. Not only did Nairo have barely any experience in the match-up, but the lack of knowledge of the customs didn't make it any easier for him to adapt correctly. It had nothing to do with the custom set being "uncombatable". Even top level players are going to flub against something they've never had to face before.

Point being; banning this just because it had one round of known succession won't solve anything. M2k and ZeRo need to cease their little hoo-haa party, and actually make the effort to hit the lab and figure this out.
Agreed, doesn't the 2 customs they complain about have any significant faults anyways?

cree318

Smash Cadet
NNID
cree318
3DS FC
0301-9783-2199
Not that I'm for the banning of specific custom moves, but is the discussion to outright ban both these customs or to ban them from being used together on the same set? Cause I would say the latter is a more "sensible" option than the former. Granted I would also rather have nothing banned as of now.

Last edited:

Timber Counter helps with Villager's inability to deal with rushdown and pressure, Extreme Balloons help with getting edgeguarded.

That being said I don't see how a thread within our own subforum helps. Discussion between Villagers and the rest of the cast is a lot healthier and productive than discussion between Villagers and some more Villagers. The other threads in competitive are better places to discuss Villager's customs and whether or not they should/will be banned.

ADHD on planking with custom Villager: http://smashboards.com/threads/my-opinion-on-what-happened-with-customs.396116/

General (but mostly Villager) discussion on whether certain customs are banworthy: http://smashboards.com/threads/should-any-specific-customs-be-banned.395563/

Also @ AnchorTea AnchorTea , try to cut down on the doom-and-gloom speculation threads, yeah? Between this one, the bandwagon one, and the possible future nerfs one, I think we have enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom