• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Luigi ever be top tier?

Will Luigi ever go up or down in the tier list?

• Up

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • Stay the Same

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KinfolkGaming

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Luigi recently and I've noticed how mobile he is. Apart from that fact that he is quite the glass canon, he has a lot of potential. What do you guys think? Is there a MEGA counter I'm missing?

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I think he's under-rated, but he'll never be "top tier". I doubt he could be "high tier", but definitely better than the Mario/Ganon he's associated with.

I personally think it goes Samus/Luigi as 9 or 10 (interchangeable) with Doc as 11, all in their own tier of characters who aren't high tier but can be used competitively, then it's a new tier of characters that aren't as good.

Also, I don't think of Luigi as a glass cannon. He's quite hard to kill if you know how to DI and recover with him.

Last edited:

Vist

Smash Champion
Pretty much agreed with EddyBearr

Luigi won't ever be top tier but he could probably go up a few spots (i.e. above Ganon, Samus, and maybe Pikachu / Doc).

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I can see Luigi getting into the top 10, with Samus and possibly Pikachu placing above him. I don't think he can take Samus' spot, I've seen too many pro players playing as her in comparison to the other top tiers. Ice Climbers might actually be in for a drop to mid tier, but I don't think Luigi or even Samus would be able to pass them up.

Last edited:

CASHMONEYDOLLABILLS

Smash Cadet
I can see Luigi getting into the top 10, with Samus and possibly Pikachu placing above him. I don't think he can take Samus' spot, I've seen too many pro players playing as her in comparison to the other top tiers. Ice Climbers might actually be in for a drop to mid tier, but I don't think Luigi or even Samus would be able to pass them up.
can't underestimate those icy's though
I don't think Luigi should be above them

I play some ganondorf too, and I think Luigi should outplace him on the tier list; I also think Luigi is better than Doc. Although, I don't think Luigi is better than Pikachu or Samus; doc is just overrated.

A Tier: Pikachu, Samus, Luigi, Doc, Ganon, Mario ?

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
can't underestimate those icy's though
I don't think Luigi should be above them

I play some ganondorf too, and I think Luigi should outplace him on the tier list; I also think Luigi is better than Doc. Although, I don't think Luigi is better than Pikachu or Samus; doc is just overrated.

A Tier: Pikachu, Samus, Luigi, Doc, Ganon, Mario ?
High: ICs
Borderline: Falcon
Viable: Samus/Luigi, Doc
Niche: Pikachu, Mario, Ganon

Last edited:

smileee

Smash Rookie
I think luigi is top 10, but he has a lot of trouble against the s-tiers. while he's still a very good character, I think it's unlikely that we'll see a luigi take a national anytime soon. that being said, I think that luigi was an extremely underrated character, and now people are beginning to realize just how good he is.

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is underrated, but I do not see Luigi surpassing mid-tier, or Samus/Doc. Luigi's S-tier matchups aren't as good as the two, but I think he is at the very least above Pikachu, Ganon and Mario.

Last edited:

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is underrated, but I do not see Luigi surpassing mid-tier, or Samus/Doc. Luigi's S-tier matchups aren't as good as the two, but I think he is at the very least above Pikachu, Ganon and Mario.
This. Definitely better than Pika/Ganon/Plumbers I think, but not quite Samus.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I only think Doc does better than Luigi against Falco and Sheik. I think their games against Fox, Falcon, and each other are comparable, and I think Luigi does better against Marth, Jiggs, Peach, ICs, and Samus.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
i actually believe luigi should move down a spot maybe. the current mid tier should go:

samus/pika
ganon
luigi/doc
mario

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
I only think Doc does better than Luigi against Falco and Sheik. I think their games against Fox, Falcon, and each other are comparable, and I think Luigi does better against Marth, Jiggs, Peach, ICs, and Samus.
I actually believe that Jiggs and Fox is a slightly better MU for Doc, but I don't know too much about Luigi so correct me if wrong.

Mid tiers goes like this for me

Samus/Doc
Luigi
Pikachu
Mario
Ganon

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I actually believe that Jiggs and Fox is a slightly better MU for Doc, but I don't know too much about Luigi so correct me if wrong.

Mid tiers goes like this for me

Samus/Doc
Luigi
Pikachu
Mario
Ganon
For Jiggs, Doc is a pretty good character, but Luigi both has a much easier time killing her with his very fast and pretty strong moves, and Jiggs has a harder time being lame against him. Luigi can always just nair a jiggs at like 70% and it'll die, alongside actually being able to combo her at low and low-mid percents.

For Fox, I think Doc has a better neutral game, but Luigi has a much better combo game, able to 0->edgeguard[death] him pretty easily. Alongside this, however, I think it's easier for Fox to be lame against Luigi than Doc. I figured it's pretty much comparable.

Sub-high tiers is this for me:
Borderline: C. Falcon
Viable Tier: Samus/Luigi , Doc
Niche Tier: Pikachu, Mario/Young Link/Ganon, Yoshi

Last edited:
Top Bottom