• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Brawl become as big as Halo? OMG

Invader_JDGir

Smash Rookie
ssb is bigger than halo. there are more *ssb sales than halo. for some reason halo is definantly talked about more.

*this is without halo 3 sales. halo might have pulled ahead, but with the release of brawl, ssb will most likely lead again.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
1) The xbox sells better in america, the wii sells better in japan. Microsoft targets the same kind of people with their console (generalization) while a big chunk of the ppl who just recently hoped on the Wii-owner bandwagon might have done so because they found WiiSports, warioware and mini-game based games of the sort to be very appealing, refreshing and fun. To actually say if SSBB could become as big as Halo, you'd first have to approximate the fraction of these wii-owners who will actually find much interest in SSBB since that is not the kind of game that actually got them tangled up in Nintendo's net in the first place. 75% of the 360 owners might buy halo3 (throwing random numbers here), I'd say around 55% for SSBB.
Actually, the Wii has oldsold the 360 all this year in America. And to say that it sells "better" in Japan is an understatement. Has it even cracked 100,000 units yet?

I’d say 55% is about right… for this fall. But in the next six years? I’d say it could go as high as 80%. Halo has a ton of competition on 360 (there’s kinda a lot of online shooters..) but Brawl will reamin the best multiplayer game on the Wii for the next 6 years. And on any console, really. ;)

2) Halo controls are easy to grasp o,o. And yeah, its not a big leap from mario party to SSBB, but that's not the point. Will they find much interest in it, will they seek for more knowledge about the game, will they find us, will our community be able to grow to halo's proportions? Online play is one of the various factors that got the Halo community together. We had to work around that, but is that really how things should be?
Have you ever tried to train a casual gamer to use a dual analogue control scheme? It's like giving a power drill to a monkey. Bad things happen...

A game doesn't have to have a community to be huge, Bento. It just has to sell a ton. And when all the Wii Sports gamers look at the cover of Brawl, they’ll think. “Oh look, it’s Mario. I like Mario Party 8, so Samsh bros must be the same.” It doesn’t hurt that they can use the Wii remote to waggle their way to victory.

3) And that says alot about the console as a whole, the quality of games you can expect from it, their replay value and the lack of great franchises/3rd party support (yes, a new Mario is coming out, now who didn't see that coming? >_>). The hardcore gamer will ask himself what the console has to offer before blindly wasting his money. As I've said many times, the Wii really doesn't have much to offer. And remember that Nintendo still has a bad image to get rid of.
Dude, it’s on! ;)

Although casual gamers are the reason why the Wii will outsell all other consoles this generation (there are more of them, after all) it still has a ton to offer self proclaimed “hardcore” gamers as well. And if you compare the wii’s first year to the 360’s first year, the Wii actually offers more quality titles.

Twilight Princess, Redident Evil 4: Wii Edition, and Prime 3 have all received incredible reviews and, speaking first hand, they are must buy titles. Super Paper Mario, Trauma and Mario Strikers Charged are totally worth playing as well. And unless you lack a soul, Wii Sports and Wario Ware are a blast at parties.
Then of course, there are the metric butt load of quality virtual console games available on Wii. Zelda NES for 5 bucks? 5 Player Bomberman ‘93 for 6 bucks? Super Metroid for 8 bucks? Paper Mario 64 for 10 bucks? There are some great deals there.

In the next 3 months we have Mario Galaxy, Battaleon Wars 2, Fire Emblem and Guitar Hero 3. Next year we’ll get the awesomness that is No More Heroes (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/13332.html) Final Fantasy: Crystal Bearers, and Mario Kart.

Not that any of that matters. Brawl alone makes the Wii a must buy for people who love quality games.

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
The online doesnt suck unless you are to lazy to write a couple of numbers.
Online does sucks, all by itself, now, if u compare it to Halo is waaay worst, theyre worlds different, smash online has nothin to do against halo. btw, no, i dont like halo, but im realistic

Shuma

Smash Hero
To Answer the Question.

No, Never, why? 'cause Halo has a gigantic Fanbase, and it's damm addicting.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Online does sucks, all by itself, now, if u compare it to Halo is waaay worst, theyre worlds different, smash online has nothin to do against halo. btw, no, i dont like halo, but im realistic
Halo has better online, no question. But that doesn't make Brawl's online poor. As long as I can face off against the Smashboards community and compete against human screcrows instead of bots, I'm happy.

Also, funny how people rarely point out how superior the non-online multiplayer in Brawl is going to be. Playing four player Halo on splitscreen can't comapare to a Smash Bros. free for all.

Mari0sPooPoo

Smash Journeyman
Halo has better online, no question. But that doesn't make Brawl's online poor. As long as I can face off against the Smashboards community and compete against human screcrows instead of bots, I'm happy.

Also, funny how people rarely point out how superior the non-online multiplayer in Brawl is going to be. Playing four player Halo on splitscreen can't comapare to a Smash Bros. free for all.
It's like comparing your grandma to your girlfriend, they just don't go together. It's also the same for the gaming world... Halo3 is almost nothing like Brawl.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
It's like comparing your grandma to your girlfriend, they just don't go together. It's also the same for the gaming world... Halo3 is almost nothing like Brawl.
My grandma owns all!

Seriously though, I know they are totally different games, but they are similar in that they are both lots of fun and incredibly popular. There's no harm in a little spirited rivalry.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Honh

My grandma owns all!

Seriously though, I know they are totally different games, but they are similar in that they are both lots of fun and incredibly popular. There's no harm in a little spirited rivalry.
When you put it that way, I don't feel quite as bad for visiting this thread so often. Yeah that's right, I era.. I got spirit! *juggles eggs*

Red Exodus

Smash Master

If you're talking offline one could easily say Halo is 16 player [LAN 4 U?]. Even so, as a competitive smasher I must say, FFAs suck. Yes it's my opinion but when you're forced to either play FFA or no Melee at all you come to know just how ******** FFAs can get. Sometimes it's not even fun due to people picking ******** stages, camping, teaming, or just plain playing ********.

I don't have this problem in Halo 2 with 4 people, the worst that happens is someone screen watches the whole match.

On a completely separate note I feel I have to say this, the reason Brawl is going to last us so long or do so well is because we have no choice. Halo has competition whereas Brawl is all by itself. There are no Brawl/Melee copycats other than D.O.N. so we can't get this experience anywhere else. We will never know if some developer has the creative mind great enough to make a game like Brawl better than Sakurai can.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Just something to ponder. I couldn't find any good numbers for worldwide sales figures for either game, so I just used JP and US sales.

Super Smash Bros.
1.97 copies sold in Japan
2.92 copies sold in the US

Super Smash Bros. Melee
1.37 copies sold in Japan
3.86 copies sold in the US

Halo
4.88 million copies sold in the US

Halo 2
6.06 million copies sold in the US
2.38 million copies sold on the first day in the US and Canada

SSB Total
JP: 3.34 million
US: 6.78 million
Combined: 10.12 million

Halo Total
US: 10.94 million

Eh, neato.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
If you're talking offline one could easily say Halo is 16 player [LAN 4 U?]. Even so, as a competitive smasher I must say, FFAs suck. Yes it's my opinion but when you're forced to either play FFA or no Melee at all you come to know just how ******** FFAs can get. Sometimes it's not even fun due to people picking ******** stages, camping, teaming, or just plain playing ********.

I don't have this problem in Halo 2 with 4 people, the worst that happens is someone screen watches the whole match.

On a completely separate note I feel I have to say this, the reason Brawl is going to last us so long or do so well is because we have no choice. Halo has competition whereas Brawl is all by itself. There are no Brawl/Melee copycats other than D.O.N. so we can't get this experience anywhere else. We will never know if some developer has the creative mind great enough to make a game like Brawl better than Sakurai can.
L.A.N. partiesa different matter. Sure they are a blast - if you can scare up multiple 360s, tvs, ect. But for people with one console (most people, I think) Brawl offers superior offline mutiplyer. That doesn't make Halo's offline play bad - but neither does Halo's superior online play make Brawl's wi-fi options bad.

And I agree: Halo has a ton of competition these days, with everyone and their dog trying to make a better online FPS. But you won't find a 2-d fighter anywheres near as robust as Brawl.

@ Arteen: Interesting. Thanks for digging those numbers up.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I just remembered what I forgot to say, here it is:

I might sound like a Halo/MS fanboy, but I'm only defending Halo/MS because this is a forum about a Nintendo game, which will obviously attract Nintendo fanboys with their biased opinions. Just think of me as a balance between the two.

EDIT1: This doesn't mean I think everyone's a fanboy, I'm just saying there are those who are and try to impose their views as the only/best/correct view.

EDIT2: I agree, 4 player halo is decent but it Brawl is more suited for 4 player. Both are fun regardless, both companies did a great job [so far].

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Bet you 10$ this has been said before.

It depends where your talking about with popularity.
If you say the US, the Halo by far. It sold about 8million, about 80% of which was in the US. It does pathetic in Japan and good in Europe. Worldwide, Smash is your awnser. It sold about 6million with while preforming good in both Japan and Europe (about 1million in both). Overall, Halo 2 did better, but if they preformed the same you'd see an even spread worldwide for Smash and one lump in the US for Halo.

Spellman

Smash Ace
EDIT1: This doesn't mean I think everyone's a fanboy, I'm just saying there are those who are and try to impose their views as the only/best/correct view.
Well don't worry, to date, there is no correct view on which game will sell more copies, but we can all make our most educated guesses based on the information we have so far, and our feelings. Don't worry, nobody is labeling you a fanboy neither. ^^

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
No. Online sucks.

Halo was big because it had a good online interface, not because it was good (and it's not). Halo 3 will be big because of whored out marketing. Hay Guyz, lets pick up some GAME FUEL! RHRHRHRHAAAAGGGHH! Good thing microsoft is so good at emulating (not quite copying, cause that might be good) old game concepts from PC games and then advertising them as new and innovative. Frankly, it's amazing.

Top Bottom