• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Corrin Social - Still Fire Emblem Social

D

Deleted member

New Fire Emblem Heroes banner has been revealed. It's the Christmas banner, and it features the long-been-leaked Christmas-themed Robin and Tharja, with Lissa and Chrom being the other two characters.

They are all armored units. Lissa and Chrom are Axe-users, Robin is a Lance-user, and Tharja is a Red-tome user.

Other points of interest is that Tharja has an even more revealing outfit compared to her normal one, and she's also our first unit since Takumi to have instant access to Close Counter. Lissa has a B-skill that is the counterpart to Quick Riposte.
I wonder if Robin and Tharja were originally armored units or not, because Tharja is definitely not wearing enough to be considered an armored unit (or is even carrying or wearing something to be considered an armored unit, like Hallo Jakob's ball and chain or Hallo Henry's coffin).

I'll pull from this banner because I've wanted Robin and Tharja since they were leaked. I don't think they'll have a place on my Armor Emblem team, but I still like these characters (for those curious, my Armor Emblem team consists of Black Knight, Hector, Effie, and Halloween Henry).
I hope that Lissa's B skill is inheritable to non-armored units because I want this skill on Xander.

EDIT: As for the units themselves, they have very interesting skills and pretty useful weapons for the enemy phase.
I can see some whale give Robin, Chrom, or Lissa Distant Counter or Steady Breath and Tharja Warding Stance. We'll need to see their stats to see if any of these units are as fast as Black Knight, offensively powerful as Effie, or have a fantastic enemy phase like Hector.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Today is a special day because Dec. 15 is the day this thread was created 2 years ago.

So happy 2nd birthday to this thread, and well, happy 20th birthday to me! :grin:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Other points of interest is that Tharja has an even more revealing outfit compared to her normal one, and she's also our first unit since Takumi to have instant access to Close Counter. Lissa has a B-skill that is the counterpart to Quick Riposte.
Those skills are very likely armored only tho, seeing as they share a name with wary fighter.

But eh. Could be wrong too. Just makes far more sense.

chick fil a

Smash Cadet
NNID
doritoslocosn64
3DS FC
4957-5737-4686
tharja seems to be the first unit since Takumi with close counter—could this mean distant counter could be making a return too? it’d be nice to have more options for inheritance fodder other than an exceptional unit like hector.

on the topic of skills, a 4* unit with guard would be really nice. the skill, although good, isn’t premium enough to warrant it being a 5* exclusive one imo

Nah

Smash Champion
I'm not really expecting any of the new skills on the Christmas characters to be inheritable tbh. It seems like most of the really nice skills being released these days are non-inheritable.

Today is a special day because Dec. 15 is the day this thread was created 2 years ago.

So happy 2nd birthday to this thread, and well, happy 20th birthday to me! :grin:
oh **** it's actually been that long already

Also happy birthday! :happysheep:

chick fil a

Smash Cadet
NNID
doritoslocosn64
3DS FC
4957-5737-4686
hoshido is almost completely finished!

wip builds (made by this tool):

completed builds:
can’t wait to begin nohr in 2018 :)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Since they're all b-skills with fighter in their names, I'm betting that they will be armor exclusive skills.

On one hand, armors are underwhelming with just one movement. But on the otherhand, those skills are just total BS regardless. They'd be crazy good even without that accelerated cooldown effect - that's just pointless overkill. Powerful skills like that need to have drawbacks, even if they're locked to a specific unit type.

With armor march, an armor emblem team can now be just as BS as a horse or flier team, just way more difficult to build. Screw that.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hm... before I am gonna put my question out there, just putting a disclaimer here, that I am not hating on any character (Except Peri), but just want to find new ways to appreciate characters.

Now, with that out of the way... why is Hinoka such a big hit&miss character in the fandom? She's either absolutely adored, or despised, and I can't see one way or the other. Personally she's just a tomboy thats shoehorned into the story, but that doesn't make her -that- bad as some people claim her to be.

Opinions from both sides would be really interesting to hear.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I am BEYOND happy right now!

Today is the final day of the Children of Fate banner in Fire Emblem Heroes, so I decided to spend some money to see if I could finally pull my boy Shiro.

*Notices three blue orbs in the summoning session*

"Yo, I might actually have a good chance for once!"

*Immediately goes for the first blue orb on the left and gets a 4-star Clair*

"Eh, okay, I already have multiple copies of her, so I'll just save this one for inheritance fodder"

*Goes for the next blue orb on the corner right*

*The altar does the puff sound, and then the unthinkable happened...*

MY BOY SHIRO FINALLY CAME HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me for about a good minute after I summoned him:

I spent a whole lot of orbs for this banner, every free orb I could get and some paid orbs here and there, just to get my favorite Fates child, and on the final day of the banner my Shiro finally arrived!

But things get even better!

On the last blue orb, I got another surprising yet cool guest:

I pulled a Brave Lucina!

Me when that happened:

Can't believe I managed to summon a brave hero in a banner like this! She is my second Brave Hero on my arsenal, the other being Brave Lyn (my free pull from back then).

The final results from that summoning:

Two 5-stars in one summon. Talk about some nice luck!

So immediately after the summoning session, I decided to check Shiro and Brave Lucina's, and... it felt like the game blessed me with the best ice cream sundae!

Shiro got a +Def -Res IV spread, while Brave Lucina got a +Spd -Res IV spread!!!

My reaction after learning that:

Shiro and Brave Lucina respectively got the best possible IV spreads you could get for them. With Shiro's case, I was especially happy about that because that meant my Shiro had the right IV spread to do put up a good showing in all of his battles. Brave Lucina too benefitted from her IV spread.

Man, this was such a fantastic way to start my winter break, and it felt so rewarding too considering the bad luck I had with summoning lately (especially with getting poor IV spreads on some of the past ones)! I'm going to start grinding up my Shiro and Brave Lucina now. I also learned the two make great teammates with each other (Brave Lucina apparently is great for buffing Shiro). My other two teammates I'm planning on using for my Shiro team are Julia/Hector and Joshua. Can't wait to see this Shiro team do great things!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hm... before I am gonna put my question out there, just putting a disclaimer here, that I am not hating on any character (Except Peri), but just want to find new ways to appreciate characters.

Now, with that out of the way... why is Hinoka such a big hit&miss character in the fandom? She's either absolutely adored, or despised, and I can't see one way or the other. Personally she's just a tomboy thats shoehorned into the story, but that doesn't make her -that- bad as some people claim her to be.

Hinoka's controversy mainly stems from her little story presence, and that leads many to forgetting she exists as a result. Said explanation for why she has little story presence is attributed to the fact she was absent from the first draft of Fates story and was only implemented into the game because the IS team thought Camilla needed a counterpart (it was originally supposed to be Ryoma, Takumi, and Sakura only, with Corrin as the 4th sibling).

Thus, she ended up being more of a last minute change, evident by the fact she doesn't do very much in the story. Combine that with the fact some fans may not delve into her supports that much, and the result is that a lot of fans walk out thinking Hinoka is not only forgettable, but also with the impression that she has very little to her, mainly defined by her love for Corrin and her tomboy personality.

Admittedly, Hinoka is one of my favorites of the Fates siblings. I like that her feelings for Corrin feel more like a genuine sibling, unlike how Camilla's relationship with Corrin was handled. I also enjoyed many of her supports. Her tomboyish-personality is present in many of them, but some of her supports also delve into her struggles in becoming the pegasus knight she is now: namely that she tends to overwork herself to extremes just to get what she wants. I can relate to that as someone who also experiences the same insecurities of going overboard with work just to get desired results. She also has insecurities with depending on her retainers, and her supports with Hinata show this. I liked almost all of Hinoka's supports except for the one with Saizo, but that's because she does some questionable tings in that.

Thankfully, Warriors definitely did her better. I'm about halfway through the game (so I can't speak fully about the matter), but I noticed she does have dialogue in all of the chapters she appears in during the Fates arc, so it helps give her more story presence than what she had in Fates. She also has some pretty nice supports there as well: the Elise and Caeda supports notably do a good job with expanding her character.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I am BEYOND happy right now!
[...]

Thankfully, Warriors definitely did her better. I'm about halfway through the game (so I can't speak fully about the matter), but I noticed she does have dialogue in all of the chapters she appears in during the Fates arc, so it helps give her more story presence than what she had in Fates. She also has some pretty nice supports there as well: the Elise and Caeda supports notably do a good job with expanding her character.
1st:
Congratulation on two amazing pulls! Got me envious for sure!

2nd:
It explains why I think barely anything of her, but there are really passionate haters out there, which I was curious about, where that stems from. And Warriors definitely did alot of the fates cast justice.
Like when Takumi was suspicious of someone, and Ryoma supported his stance. Unlike in the real Fates story.
... I just wish Hinoka had better voice-acting.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
... I just wish Hinoka had better voice-acting.
Yeah, Hinoka's voice in Warriors is just a cringe to listen to. Cindy Robinson did a better job voicing Hinoka in Heroes when she made her sound more like E.G. Daily. In Warriors, Hinoka sounds too much like Amy Rose, and that's quite unsettling to say the least.

I personally liked E.G. Daily's performance on the character, but that's mainly because Hinoka shares Buttercup's voice, another tomboy-like character.

chick fil a

Smash Cadet
NNID
doritoslocosn64
3DS FC
4957-5737-4686

i think ive mentioned this before, but i absolutely adore hinoka—she’s easily my favorite character in the franchise. this is because of the personality i get from her supports and even a pinch of her backstory. to put things bluntly, she puts off a brave, strong face when in reality she’s still the kind, loving, and even scared girl ryoma mentions in his support with corrin, which is why she is so adorable (and can also be seen in the supports with her retainers where she gets flustered/pushed around :p)

(i see why people dislike her voice, but her feh and fates voice adds to her cuteness imo ((not really a fan of her warriors one though)))

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
ahghiwhf SmashBoards once again not notifying me of new posts in this thread

I've got a confession to make: Christmas Tharja actually looks cute and that really upsets me since i despise Tharja.

I'm mostly indifferent to her. My main criticism of her is that, she's basically non-existent in Fates plot. But personality-wise, she just doesn't really catch my attention. Not saying she's a bad character but i never saw her interesting.

I don't consider her a better character than Camilla. I think both are equally flawed. I'd argue Hinoka wins in the personality department whereas Camilla wins in the relevancy department.

Hinoka's controversy mainly stems from her little story presence, and that leads many to forgetting she exists as a result. Said explanation for why she has little story presence is attributed to the fact she was absent from the first draft of Fates story and was only implemented into the game because the IS team thought Camilla needed a counterpart (it was originally supposed to be Ryoma, Takumi, and Sakura only, with Corrin as the 4th sibling).
Ironically, while Hinoka wasn't in the original draft for Fates story, Kozaki already had imagined what type of character she would be before designing Camilla.

Nah

Smash Champion
btw, what has everyone been using in the Arena lately? Partly just curious/thought it might be fun, partly that tier 19 has eluded me yet again.

D

Deleted member

In case anyone was curious about my 5 stars, I made a whole thread on them on my Twitter:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I also managed to get Robin and Tharja yesterday. Robin is +Attack/-Res and Tharja is +Speed/-Res. Robin has fantastic IVs while Tharja's are mediocre, but not unusable and forging patched her Res.

btw, what has everyone been using in the Arena lately? Partly just curious/thought it might be fun, partly that tier 19 has eluded me yet again.
The last Arena team I used was Ayra, Reinhardt, Black Knight, and Halloween Henry. I was struggling to get into tier 20 last time, but then I used this team and managed to get in. The thing is though even when I get into tier 20, I manage to pop right back out of it.
I doubt my 4910 score will keep me in tier 20 either. I am currently running Armor Emblem with Black Knight, Christmas Robin, Halloween Henry, and Hector.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
My last team was basically this. It's more of a wishful team, as the low bst won't allow me to rise much higher (for now).

Pretty decent. Firesweep takes care of Vantage abusing BK's, Julia takes care of reins and lyn's alike. Robin is stupid good, especially with Olivia spurs or maybe even rogue-dagger buffs. And Olivia is there, cause Olivia.
But here is my usual arena team, that I use normally (and this week too, as you can see.)

Guidance+Panic-ploy on Valter, making him an incredible support and tank. Julia's role already was established, and Celica nukes even the new annoying armored units. Third slot is always just bonus units.
Julia debuffs enemies for heavy-blade, but celica often doesnt even need it anymore. (thanks to finally having atk+3 seal)

I honestly can't go back to teams without Guidance-Seal. Help.

chick fil a

Smash Cadet
NNID
doritoslocosn64
3DS FC
4957-5737-4686
My last team was basically this. It's more of a wishful team, as the low bst won't allow me to rise much higher (for now).

Pretty decent. Firesweep takes care of Vantage abusing BK's, Julia takes care of reins and lyn's alike. Robin is stupid good, especially with Olivia spurs or maybe even rogue-dagger buffs. And Olivia is there, cause Olivia.
But here is my usual arena team, that I use normally (and this week too, as you can see.)

Guidance+Panic-ploy on Valter, making him an incredible support and tank. Julia's role already was established, and Celica nukes even the new annoying armored units. Third slot is always just bonus units.
Julia debuffs enemies for heavy-blade, but celica often doesnt even need it anymore. (thanks to finally having atk+3 seal)

I honestly can't go back to teams without Guidance-Seal. Help.
you have a lot of strong, unique, and diverse builds! does your anna have anyting special too?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think its unfair to complain about Hinoka because of a lack of story relevance. That's most characters - they appear for a chapter or two, then anything after that is relegated to supports. I think the real problem is that her personality didn't stand out enough to draw people's attention to her, so she was falsely labeled as boring. And being equally as flawed as Camilla? As if. It's clear that most of Fates writers focused more on her appearance then her tragic backstory. Hinoka is a good character who gets forgotten, but Camilla is one who's buried underneath cheap inconsistent writing. But I'm going to stop myself before this turns into a Camilla rant.

Anyway, my arena team is Amelia+1/BK+1/Boey + Bonus unit. Boey is a 4*+6 who is meant to counter Rein and Brave Lyn, and Amelia and BK have some SP heavy skills. Even with that team, though, I csn't stay in tier 20. Appearently the trick for F2Pers is to use a heavily merged 4* team. Since I had for the longest time been sending home extra 4* units, it'll be a while until I can build a viable team like that.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
btw, what has everyone been using in the Arena lately?
My team right now consists of B!Roy, Reinhardt, Ayra, and Black Knight. Currently at Tier 16, sometimes i jump forward to Tier 17.

Though i haven't played Heroes that much lately so i've just been stuck in Tier 16 (if you don't participate, you don't get demoted but you don't get Orbs either).

I think the reason i haven't been playing Heroes recently is because nothing interesting has happened. Sure, we got Children of Fate and i got 2nd best girl Soleil out of it......but nothing's really gone on to capture my attention again. A Tempest Trial did leak but it looks like the 40% units are the Christmas units, so that's gonna be so fun for the people who don't have them. We're just getting BHBs and GHB re-runs with no new GHB in sight. Book II is currently only at two chapters. Voting Gauntlets honestly aren't that fun because of the 30 minute wait time between each match. They don't even give out the 20 Orb reward anymore.

Basically, i've gotten burned out as of right now.

I think its unfair to complain about Hinoka because of a lack of story relevance. That's most characters - they appear for a chapter or two, then anything after that is relegated to supports.
Counterpoint: Unlike most characters, Hinoka was advertised as being one of the main characters or at the very least, story-important. So she should've had more story relevance by default. Even if she didn't, she could've made up for it by a likable, memorable, personality. But that wasn't the case imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If there is one unit I recommend to F2P players, it's Black Knight.
Because of his extremely high BST and SP heavy skills like Alondite and Black Luna, he's rather good to use for Arena point. But outside of Arena, Black Knight has a lot of carry potential with his high defense and attack and rather decent speed.
While his best skillset is rather expensive (requires Steady Breath and Wrath) or now requires a limited unit (Vengeful Fighter), cheap skills are also effective on him, like Vantage 3 and Quick Riposte 2.
Honestly, there is no reason to not use him and he is, in my opinion, the best red unit in the game (Ayra and Mia are also amazing, but Black Knight is slightly above them IMO). I'm honestly shocked that they gave a unit like him for free, but I am also grateful because we don't need to go through gacha to get him.

Appearently the trick for F2Pers is to use a heavily merged 4* team. Since I had for the longest time been sending home extra 4* units, it'll be a while until I can build a viable team like that.
Yeah, it's recommended because merges give you more powerful opponents in Arena, even with 4 star merges. Popular heavily merged units include Donnel, Cecilia, and Olivia.
I haven't made a super merged unit myself, as I prefer having 5 stars just for their quotes, but heavily merged units are still rather practical for Arena usage.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
you have a lot of strong, unique, and diverse builds! does your anna have anyting special too?
Sadly my anna only has Def-Ploy. It's hard to make her Unique. I could have given her DC instead of S!Robin, but... I cannot merge Anna. It is wasted on her, sadly.

And thanks! I try my best!

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Counterpoint: Unlike most characters, Hinoka was advertised as being one of the main characters or at the very least, story-important. So she should've had more story relevance by default. Even if she didn't, she could've made up for it by a likable, memorable, personality. But that wasn't the case imo.
I think she's pretty likeable. I think a lot of people see her and think she's just another super masculin tomboy character when in actuality she's a refreshingly tame and compasionate one who just wants to look after her little siblings. This is really evident in her supports with Sakura, Takumi, Azura and Subaki. But I suppose what's likable or not really just boils down to opinion, so oh well.

Astellius

Smash Ace
I threw about 60 orbs at the new Christmas banner, asking Santa for Lissa or Tharja. I got a -Atk Chrom instead. While he'd still be decent, I'm kinda tempted to give his Brazen Atk/Def to Catria. I've made her quite tanky, but haven't decided on her A-slot yet, and this would be a pretty good fit... But he'll also probably be a bonus unit for the next Tempest, so there's at least that.

I also recently turned Clair into a respectable member of my roster. Here she is:

Who knew her Atk stat could get so high!

My core Arena team is Cecilia (4*+10), Reinhardt (5*+2), and Adult Tiki (5*+8, I think), with the last character slot featuring a bonus hero (often whatever member of the Askr trio is featured that week). If you'd like some help building a team to get you into Tier 19, I'd be happy to help. If you haven't done it yet, make sure to get 4 Sacred Seals up to level 3 (especially the ones with expensive skills like Panic Ploy), as seals contribute to the total points you can get from your enemies. Characters with legendary weapons, expensive skills (such as Aether or Galeforce), and a high BST.

In case anyone was curious about my 5 stars, I made a whole thread on them on my Twitter:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I also managed to get Robin and Tharja yesterday. Robin is +Attack/-Res and Tharja is +Speed/-Res. Robin has fantastic IVs while Tharja's are mediocre, but not unusable and forging patched her Res.

The last Arena team I used was Ayra, Reinhardt, Black Knight, and Halloween Henry. I was struggling to get into tier 20 last time, but then I used this team and managed to get in. The thing is though even when I get into tier 20, I manage to pop right back out of it.
I doubt my 4910 score will keep me in tier 20 either. I am currently running Armor Emblem with Black Knight, Christmas Robin, Halloween Henry, and Hector.
Nice pulls! As for the Arena, yeah, it's quite hard to stay in T20. I'm back to oscillating between T19 & T20, with 4,962 being my personal best. It wasn't enough to stay in 2 weeks ago (although the Voting Gauntlet may have had something to do with why the scores were so competitive).

Anyway, my arena team is Amelia+1/BK+1/Boey + Bonus unit. Boey is a 4*+6 who is meant to counter Rein and Brave Lyn, and Amelia and BK have some SP heavy skills. Even with that team, though, I csn't stay in tier 20. Appearently the trick for F2Pers is to use a heavily merged 4* team. Since I had for the longest time been sending home extra 4* units, it'll be a while until I can build a viable team like that.
A 4*+10 is worth about the same as a 5*+4, so, yeah, it's a good strategy for one or two of your units. Really, I think it would be a good idea to 4*+10 some of the really common units that are on bonus hero rotation, like Olivia, Cecilia, and Sophia.

If there is one unit I recommend to F2P players, it's Black Knight.
Because of his extremely high BST and SP heavy skills like Alondite and Black Luna, he's rather good to use for Arena point. But outside of Arena, Black Knight has a lot of carry potential with his high defense and attack and rather decent speed.
While his best skillset is rather expensive (requires Steady Breath and Wrath) or now requires a limited unit (Vengeful Fighter), cheap skills are also effective on him, like Vantage 3 and Quick Riposte 2.
Honestly, there is no reason to not use him and he is, in my opinion, the best red unit in the game (Ayra and Mia are also amazing, but Black Knight is slightly above them IMO). I'm honestly shocked that they gave a unit like him for free, but I am also grateful because we don't need to go through gacha to get him.
I also would highly recommend BK as a great unit. His base kit is good, both in terms of battle effectiveness and scoring for the Arena.

But I'm rather surprised--the best red unit in the game? I think that both Mia and Ayra are better than him, but I suppose I might consider that a debatable point. However, with the introduction of the Weapon Refinery, I don't think there's any solid argument in favor of BK over Tiki. It's the era of the dragons right now. Rawr!

chick fil a

Smash Cadet
NNID
doritoslocosn64
3DS FC
4957-5737-4686
for offense, i usually use my fates children + a bonus, as that nets me the most points with relative easy

for defense, i switch between different fates theme teams (+a rein blyn counter :glare:) to show my different builds in a fun and unique way. here’s the current one:

(on an unrelated note, i finally summoned a +atk -hp odin so i’ll build him soon!)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
But I'm rather surprised--the best red unit in the game? I think that both Mia and Ayra are better than him, but I suppose I might consider that a debatable point. However, with the introduction of the Weapon Refinery, I don't think there's any solid argument in favor of BK over Tiki. It's the era of the dragons right now. Rawr!
I think it's worth mentioning that dragons are defense phase specialist. They're fantastic, but it's offensive units who truly shine in this meta. Armors are defensive to, generally, but the BK has enough speed to make it work with a little help from Armor Buffs. I'm not sure if I'd say he's the best red unit but he's certainly a contender.

Astellius

Smash Ace
I think it's worth mentioning that dragons are defense phase specialist. They're fantastic, but it's offensive units who truly shine in this meta. Armors are defensive to, generally, but the BK has enough speed to make it work with a little help from Armor Buffs. I'm not sure if I'd say he's the best red unit but he's certainly a contender.
Actually, I disagree. Offensive units were the ones that stood out for most of the lifespan of the game so far, sure, but, with the updates, one needs to be increasingly wary of defensive units. But that's a secondary point. My main point is that manaketes have become especially powerful with the recent updates. With the Weapon Refinery, manaketes now target the weakest defensive stat of their enemies, which is significant, because now they'll just one-shot a ton of mages they couldn't before. Furthermore, there is no breath-breaker skill, which limits their weaknesses. It can be really dangerous to take on manaketes, even with the weapon triangle advantage. My Tiki can tank pretty much any physical hit, even one from a +10 Death Blow Brave Lance+ Effie.

In contrast, BK loses to pretty much anything that has Swordbreaker, all blue and red manaketes, Brave Lyn, and most blue and red mages. He also doesn't have the stats to deal with more than one red unit alone, and will lose to a fair number of swordies.

D

Deleted member

The first seasonal Tempest Trial is revealed. Yes, seasonal, so I am so sorry to everyone who is having trouble on the banner.
Although it's Awakening themed, I am surprised that they won't give us Black Knight to compliment this Armor Emblem banner, or even Tobin with the buffs Armor Emblem got. But nope... enjoy another Masked Lucina.

Nice pulls! As for the Arena, yeah, it's quite hard to stay in T20. I'm back to oscillating between T19 & T20, with 4,962 being my personal best. It wasn't enough to stay in 2 weeks ago (although the Voting Gauntlet may have had something to do with why the scores were so competitive).
Thanks!
I've been bouncing between T19 and T20 as well. My best score was a deathless run with 4910 and that's not enough to stay. I have a Chrom... I might give Hector Aether to raise my score slightly more.

I also would highly recommend BK as a great unit. His base kit is good, both in terms of battle effectiveness and scoring for the Arena.

I've thought about who I think is the best red unit. While we have amazing player phase units like Mia and Ayra, another strong enemy phase unit with Ike, and an incredibly tanky unit like Sigurd along with the dragons, I believe Black Knight is still the best red unit even without Armor Emblem buffs.
While Black Knight can be run rather effectively with a budget set with his default kit (or replace his B skill with Vantage or Quick Riposte), he has two incredible sets that revolve around Black Luna, which is by far the best special in the game.
The first set involves Steady Breath and Wrath; it's his best set and SB gives him more charge on Black Luna when hit and Wrath increases the power and decreases the cooldown of Black Luna.
The second set keeps his default A skill or Steady Breath and his B skill is Vengeful Fighter; that skill is a better Quick Riposte that decreases the charge of his special. If you want to make him a more player phase oriented unit, then Bold Fighter will always guarantee a follow-up for him.
His res is pitifully low, but you can make teams to help cover those weaknesses. If Rein is giving you trouble, there is of course Hector and Halloween Henry and magic checks like Julia. His other stats are rather impressive for an armored unit; his speed won't have him be double nearly as much, his attack is incredibly high, and his defense is amazing combined with Steady Stance or Breath.

tl;dr Black Knight is the best red unit not only for his stats, but also for his skillsets that get him to activate Black Luna much quicker. It's rather insane that IS gave us a unit like him for free.

In contrast, BK loses to... Brave Lyn
Actually, Black Knight can survive against a +10 merged Brave Lyn with +Attack IV, but only if she isn't running Brave Bow and Black Knight doesn't have Deflect Missile.
Still, I wouldn't put him against her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah

Smash Champion
Not being able to get the +40% bonus if you don't have any of the Christmas units kinda sucks, but at least I can still get the +20% since Lucina's one of those. Reciprocal Aid+Renewal 3+Falchion is bae for Tempest Trials.

My Tiki can tank pretty much any physical hit, even one from a +10 Death Blow Brave Lance+ Effie.
mate ur Tiki is scary

it's not every day that you hear of a red unit not getting murdered by merged Death Blow Brave Lance Effie

mine certainly couldn't do that

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Thats my take on Manaketes. I still need a regularily working team for her, but she's my current project alongside Minerva, to +10.
And yes, I missclicked the breath-upgrade, and got the +atk one, instead of +spd.

BUT, her +hp nature, allows her with DD to tank +10 Reins with QP memebow, horsebuffs, deathblow and +atk nature, and counter kill/heal thanks to aether. So thats one positive point.

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
The first seasonal Tempest Trial is revealed. Yes, seasonal, so I am so sorry to everyone who is having trouble on the banner.
Although it's Awakening themed, I am surprised that they won't give us Black Knight to compliment this Armor Emblem banner, or even Tobin with the buffs Armor Emblem got. But nope... enjoy another Masked Lucina.

Thanks!
I've been bouncing between T19 and T20 as well. My best score was a deathless run with 4910 and that's not enough to stay. I have a Chrom... I might give Hector Aether to raise my score slightly more.

I've thought about who I think is the best red unit. While we have amazing player phase units like Mia and Ayra, another strong enemy phase unit with Ike, and an incredibly tanky unit like Sigurd along with the dragons, I believe Black Knight is still the best red unit even without Armor Emblem buffs.
While Black Knight can be run rather effectively with a budget set with his default kit (or replace his B skill with Vantage or Quick Riposte), he has two incredible sets that revolve around Black Luna, which is by far the best special in the game.
The first set involves Steady Breath and Wrath; it's his best set and SB gives him more charge on Black Luna when hit and Wrath increases the power and decreases the cooldown of Black Luna.
The second set keeps his default A skill or Steady Breath and his B skill is Vengeful Fighter; that skill is a better Quick Riposte that decreases the charge of his special. If you want to make him a more player phase oriented unit, then Bold Fighter will always guarantee a follow-up for him.
His res is pitifully low, but you can make teams to help cover those weaknesses. If Rein is giving you trouble, there is of course Hector and Halloween Henry and magic checks like Julia. His other stats are rather impressive for an armored unit; his speed won't have him be double nearly as much, his attack is incredibly high, and his defense is amazing combined with Steady Stance or Breath.

tl;dr Black Knight is the best red unit not only for his stats, but also for his skillsets that get him to activate Black Luna much quicker. It's rather insane that IS gave us a unit like him for free.

Actually, Black Knight can survive against a +10 merged Brave Lyn with +Attack IV, but only if she isn't running Brave Bow and Black Knight doesn't have Deflect Missile.
Still, I wouldn't put him against her.
Fair enough, that's a well-argued position! I consider him up near the top, but he doesn't take the gold for me. As for the BK vs. Brave Lyn, I said he loses to her not because he is one-shotted by her, but because it's a pretty bad matchup for him, since she negates his DC and he'll need Armor March in order to get in there without tanking a hit from her.

mate ur Tiki is scary

it's not every day that you hear of a red unit not getting murdered by merged Death Blow Brave Lance Effie

mine certainly couldn't do that
Fear the Tiki! Fear her:

Effie vs Tiki.jpg

The Effie above is +10, +Atk/-HP, and Tiki went in with 3 turns to charge Bonfire. If Effie has some other bane, she'll live with 3 HP unless Tiki is buffed.

Thats my take on Manaketes. I still need a regularily working team for her, but she's my current project alongside Minerva, to +10.
And yes, I missclicked the breath-upgrade, and got the +atk one, instead of +spd.

BUT, her +hp nature, allows her with DD to tank +10 Reins with QP memebow, horsebuffs, deathblow and +atk nature, and counter kill/heal thanks to aether. So thats one positive point.
Looks good! Nowi can be pretty scary now, even for my Cecilia. Steady Breath is especially good on the manaketes, I wish I had Brave Ikes to fodder off... lol.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Looks good! Nowi can be pretty scary now, even for my Cecilia. Steady Breath is especially good on the manaketes, I wish I had Brave Ikes to fodder off... lol.
He was a very lucky pull for me. The B!Ike I mean.

But on other news... after getting smashed repedatly in arena and getting frustrated over it, I figured, it's time to change my team up.

I now am building Innes. Once he has his Guard-Bow, with res refinment... he will reach 45 res natural, and have 51 res in enemy phase.
With Guard, nobody can procc special on him.

He can tank Reins pretty well, and... the special surprise is...

He will swap HP with Cherche, to refresh his tankiness, and give birth to...

Astellius

Smash Ace
I also forgot to mention that Tiki can tank Reinhardt if she's on a defensive panel...

Tiki v Reinhardt.jpg

Wish I had Steady Breath for my Tiki.

He was a very lucky pull for me. The B!Ike I mean.

But on other news... after getting smashed repedatly in arena and getting frustrated over it, I figured, it's time to change my team up.

I now am building Innes. Once he has his Guard-Bow, with res refinment... he will reach 45 res natural, and have 51 res in enemy phase.
With Guard, nobody can procc special on him.

He can tank Reins pretty well, and... the special surprise is...

He will swap HP with Cherche, to refresh his tankiness, and give birth to...
Reciprocal Aid + Brash Assault + Desperation + Brave Weapon is pretty awesome, I can run that setup on my Est sometimes.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I shouldn't be complaining because free Orbs but does the reward really have to be another Masked Lucina? I'm not kidding when i say this, i personally find Mask Lucina to be the worst unit in Heroes. Units like Odin at least have something (heck, Odin has Moonbow). Masked Lucina has nothing except for Falchion, which means she's going to require way more investment. She just ain't worth it.

D

Deleted member

I shouldn't be complaining because free Orbs but does the reward really have to be another Masked Lucina? I'm not kidding when i say this, i personally find Mask Lucina to be the worst unit in Heroes. Units like Odin at least have something (heck, Odin has Moonbow). Masked Lucina has nothing except for Falchion, which means she's going to require way more investment. She just ain't worth it.
I wouldn't dismiss Masked Lucina entirely as she is Lucina with neutral IVs, but that doesn't mean I am OK with yet another one.
She requires a lot of investment naturally because she only comes with Falchion and I really wonder why that's the case. Masked Lucina is just a glorified trophy or achievement because of how little she comes with.
The TT will still be worth doing for the Orbs, Feathers, Sacred Seals (I imagine Quickened Pulse could make a return), along with other rewards, but I am sick of Masked Lucina. :/ Who knows when the other TT rewards will return?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
What's really dissapointing is that they could of given us a seasonal unit for free. I mean, that haven't done something like that in the past, but I'd think Christmas to be a special occasion. Where's our winter Frederick, IS?

But MM aside, I really hope we get a good seal or two at least. Sheild Pulse would be a cool one that could hopefully bring out some unconventional sets.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Well well, looks like Christmas came early for me.

Yep, I pulled Christmas Chrom on Christmas Eve! He was the only green orb in the summoning session, and boy what a great gift it was for him to show up! He has some solid IVs too: +Atk -Res to be exact.

I also got another Brave Lucina, but unlike my last one, she got some lackluster IVs (+HP, - Def), so I simply merged her with my old Brave Lucina.

Time to grind up those SP for Christmas Chrom! Now if I only I had an extra Hector for the Distant Counter, than my Spring Chrom can truly be complete!

chick fil a

Smash Cadet
NNID
doritoslocosn64
3DS FC
4957-5737-4686
it’s only 10:01 here, but merry christmas to you all! here’s to another great year

D

Deleted member

Merry Christmas Corrin Social!
I hope you all have an amazing day today! :)

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Merry Christmas everyone!

I got Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Special Edition, a Revali Amiibo, and 2 new shirts.

I'd say this is a pretty good selection of gifts this year!

Top Bottom