• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Corrin Dragon Lunge Kick Shield Safety

_Blank_

Smash Rookie
So after a couple hours of testing I've successfully compiled at list of every character that can punish Dragon Lunge on their shield. These tests were done with close to maximum spacing on Dragon Lunge so like any move make sure to space it properly. These tests were also done with Corrin's slide not being cut short by a ledge. The best options after doing the kick include shield(frame 1), spot dodge(frame 3), roll(frame 4), f tilt(frame 8), turn around jab or d tilt (frame 5), counter(frame 6) or on especially slow characters another immediate dragon lunge(frame 4) if you think they will approach with shield. Immediate Dragon Lunge after a first one can break shields on smaller characters. Most characters however will take 3 to break their shield. Dragon Lunge being your fastest offensive option here it is arguably the best one. I do not recommend overly relying on defensive options but spot dodge is good for conditioning attacks which can be countered in certain match ups for an early kill. Have fun abusing Corrin's 19 damage frame 4 move. :3

Characters that can never punish:

1. Mario
  2. Peach
  3. Wario
  4. Game and Watch
  5. Link
  6. Zelda
  7. Ganondorf
  8. Toon link
  9. Samus
  10. Pit
  11. Palutena
  12. Marth
  13. Ike
  14. Duck Hunt
  15. Kirby
  16. Dedede
  17. Pikachu
  18. Charizard
  19. Lucario
  20. Jigglypuff
  21. Ness
  22. Villager
  23. Wii Fit Trainer
  24. Shulk
  25. Dr. Mario
  26. Dark Pit
  27. Lucina
  28. Mega Man
  29. Lucas
  30. Roy
  31. Ryu
  32. Cloud
  33. Corrin
  34. Bayonetta

Can only punish dragon lunge through their shield but not away*:
  1. Luigi (dash attack)
  2. Bowser (dash attack)
  3. Yoshi (dash attack)
  4. Rosa (dash attack)
  5. Bowser Jr. (dash attack)
  6. Donkey Kong (dash attack)
  7. Diddy (dash attack and banana)
  8. Mac (dash attack)
  9. Zss (dash attack)
  10. Greninja (dash attack)
  11. Rob(full charge gyro)
  12. Captain Falcon (dash attack)
  13. Olimar(white pikmin throw)
  14. Pacman(key throw)

Can always Punish:

1. Sheik(needle)
  2. Meta Knight(dash attack)
  3. Fox(laser or dash attack)
  4. Falco(laser)
  5. Sonic(dash grab or dash attack)
  6. Diddy(Super glide toss banana)
  7. Mewtwo(Dash attack)
  8. Robin(Thoron)

* Through implies going through their shield in the same direction you were originally facing when you did the pin to the ground. Away means the opposite direction you were facing. This distinction is made as doing it in the same direction cause characters to receive shield push back in the direction you are moving thus making them closer to you and therefore easier to punish.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
If the number of times I've been hit out of it is any indication, it at least trades with everything. Loses completely to disjoints if they cut your foot. Tends to throw me off as I forget it's technically an aerial attack.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Thank you for doing this; this is incredibly useful. I knew it was relatively safe, but I didn't know there were so few characters that can punish it.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
The fastest you can do Dragon Lunge is frame 7. The stab from grounded sideB is frame 4, but you also have a 3 frame hop at the start.

How is the hitbox on the kick? Any kind of disjoint?
I've seen it beat things I definitely wasn't expecting it to. The move just has one big hitbox that keeps it from whiffing crouching opponents (though the late hit is smaller and can whiff), it makes for a bizarre-looking move but it has a ton of disjoint in certain areas.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
The fastest you can do Dragon Lunge is frame 7. The stab from grounded sideB is frame 4, but you also have a 3 frame hop at the start.
Sauce?

Still haven't seen anything other than heresay on this. No evidence for it has so far been provided from either datafiles or slowed down frame-by-frame video footage counting.

Cookies for sauce.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Turns out it's actually frame 8, not frame 7. My bad.

I can't make a very good gif for this, but this is the best I can do:

Data file for sideB hop, allows you to stab on frame 5 (meaning no actions available 1-4f)
Code:
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=1)
Unknown_23A(Unknown=0x2)
Unknown_425(Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0x10)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=5)
Unknown_020(Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0x0)
Script_End()

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Turns out it's actually frame 8, not frame 7. My bad.

I can't make a very good gif for this, but this is the best I can do:

Data file for sideB hop, allows you to stab on frame 5 (meaning no actions available 1-4f)
Code:
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=1)
Unknown_23A(Unknown=0x2)
Unknown_425(Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0x10)
Asynchronous_Timer(Frames=5)
Unknown_020(Unknown=0x2, Unknown=0x0)
Script_End()
Thank you for finally being the person to completely put this unknown to rest. I have seen countless different numbers for this and 8 has rarely ever been the number cited. Just to be completely certain, that should be 15 frames out of shield correct? Shielddrop 7frames + 8frames.

You don't know how happy you've made me and a few others that have been seeking more conclusive framedata.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure that Little Mac and Sonic aren't always able to punish you with a dash attack? That's been my experience so far, but it's possible that I may be swinging away slightly after I should be.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'll put this here as the safety of Pin/Kick seems to be the best use for this.

SO, I've been going over possibilities with pin and the methods used by opponents to punish it, particularly the opponents that can chase us fast enough. I did a whole bunch of liberal spying cough research on the other character boards too.

The universal advice seems to be "just shield" and "stay in shield".

Does anyone know the total number of frames that we stay in pin for? I did a rough count on a video and it seems to be around 2.5 to 3 seconds.

Based on this. I present:

(140*0.13)+(8+3+20*1.19)=53

Assuming Pin gets 8 damage on shield from not being a tipper, if we're in pin for 140 to 180 frames then we can shield break with small DFS large BITE immediately after the pin cancels. If they stay in shield they will suffer 18.2 to 23.4 shield damage. (I need the exact total frames to calculate precisely.

We don't have lag after pin cancels and can initiate DFS immediately before touching the ground. If they drop shield they're going to get hit by it, if they do not drop shield they're going to take a shield break.

I suspect this MIGHT be punishable by simple attacking Corrin after the DFS shot, however I also think it might only require a half charge. If pin lasts a full 180 frames then we do 58.2 damage.

Expanding on this, we can autocancel fair, so we could also add fair on as damage prior to the pin for another 7.5, for an even lower necessary charge on bite, potentially only requiring 6 damage.

In all likelihood I don't think opponents will continue holding shield after fair>pin plus a bunch of shield depletion. They're going to realise that kick could hit them as it gets lower and lower.

Thought from this theory exercise: In a matchup with a character that can punish pin? Just stay in pin, do nothing. Drop and act, either with shield, the above, or other options.

I would be very interested to hear what other conclusions people have come to in these punishable matchups and what strategies people have in use. This is an area that Corrin can/should improve on.

EDIT: Fixed maths not including damage multiplier.

Last edited:

Deadpool12

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2578-3767-4194
So after a couple hours of testing I've successfully compiled at list of every character that can punish Dragon Lunge on their shield. These tests were done with close to maximum spacing on Dragon Lunge so like any move make sure to space it properly. These tests were also done with Corrin's slide not being cut short by a ledge. The best options after doing the kick include shield(frame 1), spot dodge(frame 3), roll(frame 4), f tilt(frame 8), turn around jab or d tilt (frame 5), counter(frame 6) or on especially slow characters another immediate dragon lunge(frame 4) if you think they will approach with shield. Immediate Dragon Lunge after a first one can break shields on smaller characters. Most characters however will take 3 to break their shield. Dragon Lunge being your fastest offensive option here it is arguably the best one. I do not recommend overly relying on defensive options but spot dodge is good for conditioning attacks which can be countered in certain match ups for an early kill. Have fun abusing Corrin's 19 damage frame 4 move. :3

Characters that can never punish:

1. Mario
  2. Peach
  3. Wario
  4. Game and Watch
  5. Link
  6. Zelda
  7. Ganondorf
  8. Toon link
  9. Samus
  10. Pit
  11. Palutena
  12. Marth
  13. Ike
  14. Duck Hunt
  15. Kirby
  16. Dedede
  17. Pikachu
  18. Charizard
  19. Lucario
  20. Jigglypuff
  21. Ness
  22. Villager
  23. Wii Fit Trainer
  24. Shulk
  25. Dr. Mario
  26. Dark Pit
  27. Lucina
  28. Mega Man
  29. Lucas
  30. Roy
  31. Ryu
  32. Cloud
  33. Corrin
  34. Bayonetta

Can only punish dragon lunge through their shield but not away*:
  1. Luigi (dash attack)
  2. Bowser (dash attack)
  3. Yoshi (dash attack)
  4. Rosa (dash attack)
  5. Bowser Jr. (dash attack)
  6. Donkey Kong (dash attack)
  7. Diddy (dash attack and banana)
  8. Mac (dash attack)
  9. Zss (dash attack)
  10. Greninja (dash attack)
  11. Rob(full charge gyro)
  12. Captain Falcon (dash attack)
  13. Olimar(white pikmin throw)
  14. Pacman(key throw)

Can always Punish:

1. Sheik(needle)
  2. Meta Knight(dash attack)
  3. Fox(laser or dash attack)
  4. Falco(laser)
  5. Sonic(dash grab or dash attack)
  6. Diddy(Super glide toss banana)
  7. Mewtwo(Dash attack)
  8. Robin(Thoron)

* Through implies going through their shield in the same direction you were originally facing when you did the pin to the ground. Away means the opposite direction you were facing. This distinction is made as doing it in the same direction cause characters to receive shield push back in the direction you are moving thus making them closer to you and therefore easier to punish.
Thanks man this helps a lot!

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
In all likelihood I don't think opponents will continue holding shield after fair>pin plus a bunch of shield depletion. They're going to realise that kick could hit them as it gets lower and lower.

Thought from this theory exercise: In a matchup with a character that can punish pin? Just stay in pin, do nothing. Drop and act, either with shield, the above, or other options.

I would be very interested to hear what other conclusions people have come to in these punishable matchups and what strategies people have in use. This is an area that Corrin can/should improve on.

EDIT: Fixed maths not including damage multiplier.
On this topic, I do believe people won't be likely to keep holding shield once they see us waiting after a blocked pin. This is because I've actually landed an awful lot of kicks by waiting as long as I can then kicking - I don't know if this is because I'm booting them in the head after their shield has shrunk, or if they're deciding to drop the shield to punish, but the result is the same either way - either they see we're waiting on something and are deciding to move in, or they're going to cotton onto waiting being unsafe towards the end of the pin duration.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I feel obligated to mention, that Limit Cloud can get a Dash Attack or Limit Cross Slash if you do a shield cross-up kick, or if you misspace the pin and attempt to kick away.

You should also check to see if other characters with modifiers (Speed Shulk, Deep Breathing Wii Fit(increases her walk speed only), etc.) can catch up to Corrin in these situations.

Also, to my knowledge, Sheik can also always get the punish with a sour Dash Attack, but only just barely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom